How to adjust wick in new ego-tank atomizers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zombienerd

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
I still don't understand how to do that without taking it apart, which I'd rather avoid, unless it comes out and goes back in easily and without messing it up.

I use Tiny tweezers or tiny needle nose pliers to pull it back, and a paperclip to push it in...

I've heard people have taken out the needle plate, but I haven't seen pictures or video on it yet.

VW18T

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2011
Bangor, PA
I just got done pulling my needle plate out. The cup and coil where pretty nasty looking. I did a good dry burn and swabbed out the cup the best i could. Set the wick to where Vicky said to in the video. Put it back together with a filled tank and fired it up. This has by far got me the best results in trying to regain lost performance. I have tried all of the other methods.

zombienerd

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
I just got done pulling my needle plate out. The cup and coil where pretty nasty looking. I did a good dry burn and swabbed out the cup the best i could. Set the wick to where Vicky said to in the video. Put it back together with a filled tank and fired it up. This has by far got me the best results in trying to regain lost performance. I have tried all of the other methods.

How did you remove the plate? Just lift up with pliers? I would like to try pulling one out, but don't want to break anything :D

Jennie O

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2011
N Texas
How did you remove the plate? Just lift up with pliers? I would like to try pulling one out, but don't want to break anything :D
Exactly...not at $15 a pop.

I'll try and see it I can find some needle tip tweezers...one of mine it's hard to tell if it's up high enough. Think I may have pushed it in too far. Can barely see it, though I can see the top of the other one so I'll leave it alone.

VW18T

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2011
Bangor, PA

Yes. I have a pair of long needle nose pliers. I was surprised at how hard I was pulling on the needle. When I got it out i noticed it is made of a strong metal. I could not find a witness mark on it from the pliers.

VW18T

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2011
Bangor, PA
Exactly...not at $15 a pop.

I'll try and see it I can find some needle tip tweezers...one of mine it's hard to tell if it's up high enough. Think I may have pushed it in too far. Can barely see it, though I can see the top of the other one so I'll leave it alone.

When you have a atomizer that has no/nasty taste and a hard draw, why not go at it with pliers ? If yours is performing fine for you leave it alone and vape away. Be careful poking at that wick. That was the ONLY part of the unit I thought was delicate. I can see how people say it will blow apart easy on you.

zombienerd

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
When you have a atomizer that has no/nasty taste and a hard draw, why not go at it with pliers ? If yours is performing fine for you leave it alone and vape away. Be careful poking at that wick. That was the ONLY part of the unit I thought was delicate. I can see how people say it will blow apart easy on you.

I actually succeeded at pulling out my needle plate tonight, but I didn't use pliers...

I used a dental tool with a small "L" shaped head... I pushed it under the edge, turned it, so it was under the lip, and gently lifted up, then did the other side... Came out like a charm, not hard at all.

To put it back in, I slid it in, then used an old empty cartridge to tap in all the way down. Put the cartridge over the needle, set the atty on the desk, and tapped on the end of the cart with a ball peen hammer. Went back in with no difficulty.

Jennie O

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2011
N Texas
Exactly, I have 2 currently, and they really seem to be fine, though one of them seems too low, and I did poke at them initially because of all the info on adjusting them. You're right, and I did it to hopefully enhance a lack of flavor but they were newer so I think the less people mess with them the better they will perform.
That one though, I wish I could easily pull back up a bit. Still doing ok but I havent used either of them consistently at this point. Just not liking that I may have poked it down too far. :blush:
Been using them more now because my other 2 mega atties just seem to leak cuz of lack of me filling right or whatever.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Zombienerd, whoever said a picture is worth a thousand words was right. All this time I thought that the coil was attached to the bottom of the plate. Now I see!

I have only one tank atomizer (V2) and it has been working just fine since I got it. This will be valuable info once I have backups and want to experiment and clean the old one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread