How to cut down on vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozm8ey

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2014
melboune,australia
I love vaping and its much safer than real cigs also sometimes I actually think its not bad for me at all. Problem is I vape way way too much. I dont want to quit but just want to cut down by around half the amount I vape. I swear I vape constantly and I think this is the main issue a lot of vapers have when it comes to vaping. Might as well get a oxygen like mask and just vape through that 24/7. What's a good way to cut down on vaping? I don't think it even has anything to do with nicotine but rather there isn't much indication for when you should put the ecig down. With a cig once you smoke it thats the indication you're done and dont need for like another hour. Could also be some sort of OCD towards vaping.

barkfunklerbunk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2014
Planet Earth
Well you could try increasing the nic level in your eliq, maybe that would help. Or you could go the 'mind over matter' route..
I went to a somewhat extreme with this. I went from 24mg freebase which I was constantly chain vaping, to 50mg nic salts, and my vaping plummeted like a rock.

SlowTalker

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2010
Ohio
I have lately been leaving my vape at home when I go out. I was surprised at first how little I missed it, so have been doing it more and more. For doctor appointments or shopping. I still take it with me for social occasions.

Maybe cut out vaping in bed at night or hold off grabbing for your vape until you're up and showered and dressed for the day. You know where the best places in your routine are that you can make vape free. Cutting out vaping in little ways that will become habit will be more likely to stick.

Last edited:

barkfunklerbunk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2014
Planet Earth
An hour? Pffft. For me it was more like 15-20 minutes. After an hour, I was seriously jonesing.
For me, I was a chain smoker. Constantly a cig in my mouth or hand. If I had another 7+ years under my belt of chain smoking vs 7+ years of vaping instead.. Oof!!

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I love vaping and its much safer than real cigs also sometimes I actually think its not bad for me at all. Problem is I vape way way too much. I dont want to quit but just want to cut down by around half the amount I vape. I swear I vape constantly and I think this is the main issue a lot of vapers have when it comes to vaping. Might as well get a oxygen like mask and just vape through that 24/7. What's a good way to cut down on vaping? I don't think it even has anything to do with nicotine but rather there isn't much indication for when you should put the ecig down. With a cig once you smoke it thats the indication you're done and dont need for like another hour. Could also be some sort of OCD towards vaping.

When I first quit smoking and had gotten through the initial withdrawal, I kept the same habits I had with cigarettes. I stuck with the same style of draw, and vaped the same length of time as I would have smoked, the same amount of times per day...

I didn't change habits in other words, and as a result, keeping that same attitude has gotten me to where I am far less dependant on vaping as I was on cigarettes because the addiction level really isn't there with vaping...

So start timing your vaping sessions, usually a cigarette lasts between 5 and 10 minutes, so never vape longer than that, put it down and walk away, find other things to occupy your hands and time until it's time to the next session of vaping. Keep it real. If you were a pack a day smoker vape 20 times per day, a 2pad smoker vape 40... just keep it real which means, put down the vape.

Last edited:

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
A good way to gauge how much you think you're vaping is by how much juice you go through in a week. So how much juice do you use in a week? When I first started vaping, I was not a subohm and using higher nic strength, 18mg. 30 ml of this in roughly less than a week. Dropped to 12mg but still vaped quite often. Once I went subohm and DL, i would go through a 120ml in just over a week. Now, 3 yrs later, a 120ml will last me almost 3 weeks and I still feel like I vape all the time. But I know by juice consumption that I'm not constantly vaping.

Reactions: stols001

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

The 1st Step I would suggest is to Not Hold your Mod when you are Not taking a Hit.

Take a Hit, then put your Mod Down.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
One of the advantages of vaping over cigarettes is nicotine level is much more controllable. Juice manufacturers know this and tend to make the jumps between nic levels too high. The FDA knew this too and made them make zeros in nic flavors as well. If you mix a zero and a mix of the same flavor you can get any nic level you want. I suggest going slowly. So slow you barely notice it. The hand mouth thing is separate, but don’t discount nicotine. It’s a class 1 anti-anxiety drug. Hardcore stuff. It

Reactions: stols001

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
When I was vaping 24mg juice I vaped less. I've been at 3mg doing DIY for 8 or more years and I find myself vaping more often. Still, I go through about two Kayfun tanks a day. That's 2x4ml for a total of 8ml juice a day. 8ml/day isn't that much for most of us. My problem is that my vape is in my pocket, in my hand, or sitting right beside me all day. That makes it too convenient. I'd be better off if I left it on the kitchen counter where I had to get up and walk to vape.

Next time I mix juice I'm going to mix up a bottle of 24mg just for kicks and see how long a hit of 24mg will last before my brain asks for more. :)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I know not of this "Cut down" of which you speak. ;)

My wife quit smoking cold turkey and has never asked me when I'm going to quit vaping. She knows it's a hobby that I like and don't intend to quit. She's just happy that I'm not smoking cigarettes anymore.

SlowTalker

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2010
Ohio
When I was a kid my mom had a friend who was so paranoid about setting herself on fire she didn't allow anything smoking related upstairs. When she went up to get ready for bed the smokes stayed in the living room. Also kept her from reaching for a cigarette as soon as her eyes opened in the morning (me!). Some mornings she's be through breakfast and into her chores before she thought about lighting up.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I'm thinking "Hiccups." ;)

:pop:

I mixed up some 18mg a while back and got buzzing in my ears the first time I hit it. I'd like to leave my mod on the kitchen counter and just vape twice an hour like I did when I smoked. If I leave my mod close by I'm reaching for it every other minute at 3mg nic strength.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
for me it came to just putting the vape down and walking away.
I dont carry a vape in my pocket and I dont take one with me where ever I go. There is really only two places I vape and if Im not sitting in those places Im not vaping. I have to stop what Im doing and go to where my vape is, so I generally work right through and save the vape for down time only.

Increasing nic didnt work for me when I was working my way through vaping less. Eventually my tolerance would increase and I would be vaping the same amount at a higher mg.
I got down to 3.5 ml of 3.5mg a day and reasoned that if I used 12mg or 13mg I should only use 1ml a day. Seemed like a sound idea but after about 3weeks I was back to using 3 or 4 ml a day. I had work my way back down to 3mg by reducing my tolerance all over again. It sucks spending time reducing your tolerance, well, for me it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread