How To: The New and Improved NicoStick

Status
Not open for further replies.

sMuCk_fOg

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
Lakewood,California - u$a
If you want a usable voltage with a high capacity, I recommend using some 3.7v batteries and using them in parallel - or two 3v high capacity batteries in serial, but personally I don't trust running 6v through an atomizer. Going with a lower voltage will also extend the battery charge.
Thanks for the info!
I could use the three 1.2 volt @ 2100 Mah
AA nimh batteries in series
and I'd get (3.6 volts and 2100 mah) - Rated

Or I could use three of the trustfire 14500
(3.7V 900mAh Lithium Batteries )
in parallel and get 3.7 volts @ 2700 Mah - rated
correct?

I'll probably stick with the Nimh's since I've already got them ,and the chargers for them.

I wish the 18650 Trustfires weren't so darned long
(2.6" compared to AA's at 2")
Thanks again!

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
Thanks for the info!

correct?

I'll probably stick with the Nimh's since I've already got them ,and the chargers for them.

Thanks again!

There are 17500 and 18500 batteries that are the same lenght as the 14500, but the diameter is bigger. They have a higher capacity (mAh), but the diameter makes it so the box won't close.

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
But everytime I try to heat a connector to a switch , it becomes a liquid switch haha

That is why you tin the wire and tin the contact on the switch before attempting to solder. Also, you want to have a good connection physically without solder as much as is humanly possible. That way the solder is only acting as an external mold that makes the connection more firm. Try not to rely on the solder to hold the joint, but on your mechanical skills to make a good joint before soldering.

sMuCk_fOg

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
Lakewood,California - u$a
That is why you tin the wire and tin the contact on the switch before attempting to solder. Also, you want to have a good connection physically without solder as much as is humanly possible. That way the solder is only acting as an external mold that makes the connection more firm. Try not to rely on the solder to hold the joint, but on your mechanical skills to make a good joint before soldering.

For whatever reason , the first charge on the double A's
didn't last very long
(maybe it lost connection while charging for a bit?)

However the second charge has lasted 27 hrs and I'm still getting 3.8 volts at the atty!

As far as tinning the wire ,I got that down...but tinning the connector...well I guess I'll get better with practice lol

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
For whatever reason , the first charge on the double A's
didn't last very long
(maybe it lost connection while charging for a bit?)

However the second charge has lasted 27 hrs and I'm still getting 3.8 volts at the atty!

As far as tinning the wire ,I got that down...but tinning the connector...well I guess I'll get better with practice lol

Sometimes batteries require some cycling before they reach their true capacity. Glad to hear you have achieved vaping harmony.

I find keeping the soldering iron clean makes helps - oh yeah, and lots of practice.;)

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
Thanks for the info!

correct?

Thanks again!
my mod uses four standard AA nimh 1.2 volt rechargeable's which chuck out a total of about 5.4 volts when fully charged ....I am finding that's a pretty good battery voltage to use.

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
that sounds like something i want to do lol
do you have a link to that mod?

It's in the modders section ..cold heat soldering Iron.....I didn't do any pictorials of how it's done...anyone who has already made a mod will certainly be able to make one out that.....it's virtually a ready made E-cig. It actually works so good I can't see me making any more mods.

Last edited:
It's in the modders section ..cold heat soldering Iron.....I didn't do any pictorials of how it's done...anyone who has already made a mod will certainly be able to make one out that.....it's virtually a ready made E-cig. It actually works so good I can't see me making any more mods.

Maybe name it the SurboStick ;)

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
Great mod Nico, I like it a lot.

Unfortunately however, I'm going to be the sole voice in dissent here apparently - on the protected batteries issue.

I'm sorry, but I think too much is being made of that. Yes, an unprotected battery may refuse to recharge if over discharged. But, I don't think over discharge is very likely given the intended use here. We are vaping. Anyone would notice the drop in vapor and be unsatisfied enough to switch out thier battery before over discharge to such an extent would take place. In fact, vapor production may well stop all but completely before that would take place. Finally, even if it did happen, a dead battery of this type is not such a big loss (especially when comparing the cost of these batteries to proprietary ecig batteries).

Now, on to the issue of the danger of explosion with over charging. As you yourself said, this is only present when using the incorrect charger in the first place. How hard is it to get the correct charger for the batteries you are buying, one with the protection circuit built in? In reality, I think it would be a heck of a lot harder to find a charger that didn't have the protection circuit built in.

So I say this paranoia about unprotected batteries is a tad extreme! Hundreds of thousands of them are in daily use around the world.

Please understand that I'm not putting down your mod or your wish to present the very "safest" instructions possible to those who may use them to build their own mod. But I do think going to the other extreme and creating unrealistic fears and paranoia about unprotected batteries among the many who are using them right now, or who would otherwise use them, is not the best way to go.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Good Job Nico--we here advocate saftey and those that do not concern themselfs with it really should think again--that is why you can not buy these batteries in your local stores and only online. A Protected battery stops these batteries from shorting out and blowing up-So it is not just charging that is the issue.

Again, here on the Fourm we advocate the use of protected batteries ---for a good reading on the dangers and precautions on these batteries see Lithium-ion safety concerns

So please --no ranting about this issue--if you choose not to use them that is fine--but it is not what we advocate for here on the Forum in the name of saftey.-----Sun (As moderator for the Modders Fourm)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread