Hussar Project X RTA Clone (by Coppervape)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
@AngeNZ, I've found the X to be reasonably forgiving with wicking.

With Rayon, I've found out that you don't need to thin the wick tails at all with a 2.5mm ID coil. Just fluff and comb, cut to length using the edge of the deck and gently tuck into the wells and try to keep it nice and fluffy.

Running a simple 27AWG (0.34mm) 2.5mm ID 8 wrap SS316L RWC (Round Wire Coil) at 0.73 ohms.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
My first build - 5 wrap twisted 28 kanthal, rayon wick, on a 2013 Lernaia Hydra (the golden age of mechs [emoji3])
88250e53fa505cebda2ac20c00ecaa12.jpg

Janusz

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2018
Illinois, USA
Curious about this RTA, but after some brief reading this seems kinda fussy. Can I just buy the regular ol' 2ml Coppervape Hussar and be good? I only vape about a mil per day, so 2ml is plenty.

Nah... it is not fussy. It is just very different to most other RTAs so people can be confused...they try to unscrew top cap to fill tank but top cap needs to be pulled off...not unscrewed, they forget about opening juice flow control (by turning yellow part of tank) and to access deck you do not unscrew it but twist and pull off.

Project X is the easiest RTA to install coil and wick it... much, much, much easier than Doggy, Dwarv, Siren, Gotank and couple more RTAs I owned. I am 62 do not have very nimble fingers and my eysight is far from good... Since I bought second Hussar I retired all other tanks... I love Hussar so much that I currently use only them.

If you vape only 1ml you do not need extension and 2ml will work perfectly. My 2 hussars have extension cause I vape 8-10 ml a day.

barkfunklerbunk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2014
Planet Earth
Nah... it is not fussy. It is just very different to most other RTAs so people can be confused...they try to unscrew top cap to fill tank but top cap needs to be pulled off...not unscrewed, they forget about opening juice flow control (by turning yellow part of tank) and to access deck you do not unscrew it but twist and pull off.

Project X is the easiest RTA to install coil and wick it... much, much, much easier than Doggy, Dwarv, Siren, Gotank and couple more RTAs I owned. I am 62 do not have very nimble fingers and my eysight is far from good... Since I bought second Hussar I retired all other tanks... I love Hussar so much that I currently use only them.

If you vape only 1ml you do not need extension and 2ml will work perfectly. My 2 hussars have extension cause I vape 8-10 ml a day.
Thank you for the clarification! :)

Reactions: AngeNZ

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
Coil Height Question -

I received a Hussar Project X yesterday. It was a bit confusing in the mechanics, but I think I (mostly) have it figured out.

I've been vaping Doggie Styles for a couple of years and don't have a lot of complaints with them, but thought that the bigger area of the deck and the screws inline with the coil legs on the X might make for easier coil & wick assembly installation.

While the X seems to be quite smooth, I seem to be missing some TH compared to the Doggies. With the side injection of air vs. the air from underneath, I suspect some of the difference can be found there. With the Doggies, I found the coil/wick close to the deck to be to my liking...solid hitting.

Have some here experimented with various coil/wick heights / positions and can suggest what of those variables might maximize TH?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: TraderX

johnpalley

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2010
boston
Coil Height Question -

I received a Hussar Project X yesterday. It was a bit confusing in the mechanics, but I think I (mostly) have it figured out.

I've been vaping Doggie Styles for a couple of years and don't have a lot of complaints with them, but thought that the bigger area of the deck and the screws inline with the coil legs on the X might make for easier coil & wick assembly installation.

While the X seems to be quite smooth, I seem to be missing some TH compared to the Doggies. With the side injection of air vs. the air from underneath, I suspect some of the difference can be found there. With the Doggies, I found the coil/wick close to the deck to be to my liking...solid hitting.

Have some here experimented with various coil/wick heights / positions and can suggest what of those variables might maximize TH?
What is TH?

johnpalley

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2010
boston
Throat Hit
Oh ok. I agree with what your saying, it doesn't hit hard enough for me either and in my opinion it has wicking issues too when I use my ni80 mil fused clapton wire. When I'm able to wick my Fresia correctly it completely destroys the x in my opinion. The air is way better its not even close. The problem is most of the time I can't get it to wick correctly cause the holes the bottom of the wick go into won't fit the whole wick. I actually just started shopping for more rta's cause im just not really happy with the ones I have. I got the GT3 and Kayfun 5 clones coming in the mail soon so im gonna give those a try.

Last edited:

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
I guess the air to vapor ratio is high. With that thought, it came to mind that having a large coil and wick would put more substance in the line of the air flow. The area inside the X looks pretty ample. Checking my parts and pieces, I found a brass tube with a 4.75mm diameter. I wound a 10 or so turn coil around that and with some fiddling was able to get in, stuffed with Rayon and closed up without shorting. That may have made some difference, but not a lot. I'm still having to take primer puffs to get it so-kay and pumping the wattage up is helpful, and changes the taste some. I'll keep it going for a while...see what happens.

Have you tried a Doggie Style? ...best bang for the buck I've come across. It is somewhat close to what I saw on the Fresia, though the Fresia has a few added tricks around the screw posts. The Doggies don't have holes to stuff, rather channels that will take a fair amount of wick. A lot of people like the SXK 2K16, though some like the top fill of the SKX 2K18.

johnpalley

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2010
boston
I guess the air to vapor ratio is high. With that thought, it came to mind that having a large coil and wick would put more substance in the line of the air flow. The area inside the X looks pretty ample. Checking my parts and pieces, I found a brass tube with a 4.75mm diameter. I wound a 10 or so turn coil around that and with some fiddling was able to get in, stuffed with Rayon and closed up without shorting. That may have made some difference, but not a lot. I'm still having to take primer puffs to get it so-kay and pumping the wattage up is helpful, and changes the taste some. I'll keep it going for a while...see what happens.

Have you tried a Doggie Style? ...best bang for the buck I've come across. It is somewhat close to what I saw on the Fresia, though the Fresia has a few added tricks around the screw posts. The Doggies don't have holes to stuff, rather channels that will take a fair amount of wick. A lot of people like the SXK 2K16, though some like the top fill of the SKX 2K18.
Just to be clear im using the 2-30/40 coilology fused clapton mtl wire. I actually have the sxk 2k18 top fill doggy. Its so frustrating when people say its easy to wick. I constantly get burnt hits when I try to use it. Also I have to literally cut the wick in half to make it thinner so it can fit in the chimney. So many times I try to screw the tank on and the chimney hits the cotton so it won't turn and then I have to take it off and trim the cotton. Its not fun. Ive been doing 6 wraps, 2.5 ml coil .72 ohms vaping at 23 watts. Its funny you bring up the Fresia cause its nothing like the doggy. The fresia is way more open and powerful

I think id be better off with a tank where you don't have to do anything weird to the wick just fluff and stuff it in.

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: Zazie

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
Re: Doggie Style - The 2K16 and the 2K18 have a little different bases...below the desk. The '18 is closed below the deck and the '16 open if I'm interpreting some photos correctly. That 'may' allow for a lot more spreading of the wicks. I haven't got an '18, so I'm not certain. I'm not certain that the notches in the deck are the same.

I mentioned the Fresia as I took a look at it after your post mentioning it. It is more like the '16 below the deck, I believe. As far as performance, I haven't a clue other than my '16 seems to work well. The Fresia 'looks a bit like' the '16 Doggie other than the Doggies bell goes all the way down to the base with a bit of a gap on opposing sides to allow the eliquid in. Up top there are some obvious differences at the posts.

I just use plain ol' 316L for coils and unflavored 50mg/ml nicotine in full VG base.

We getting a bit away from the OP.

The wick and coil are setting in on the Hussar Project X now. At 25 watts on the X and 15 on the Doggie, they are presently closer in TH with some taste/mouth feel differences. The X has about 2x the coil resistance and 2x wicking in it...trying to fill up the space for max coil/wick to air ratio. It takes higher wattage to push that wad.

Reactions: johnpalley
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread