Hussar Project X RTA Clone (by Coppervape)

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpalley

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2010
boston
Re: Doggie Style - The 2K16 and the 2K18 have a little different bases...below the desk. The '18 is closed below the deck and the '16 open if I'm interpreting some photos correctly. That 'may' allow for a lot more spreading of the wicks. I haven't got an '18, so I'm not certain. I'm not certain that the notches in the deck are the same.

I mentioned the Fresia as I took a look at it after your post mentioning it. It is more like the '16 below the deck, I believe. As far as performance, I haven't a clue other than my '16 seems to work well. The Fresia 'looks a bit like' the '16 Doggie other than the Doggies bell goes all the way down to the base with a bit of a gap on opposing sides to allow the eliquid in. Up top there are some obvious differences at the posts.

I just use plain ol' 316L for coils and unflavored 50mg/ml nicotine in full VG base.

We getting a bit away from the OP.

The wick and coil are setting in on the Hussar Project X now. At 25 watts on the X and 15 on the Doggie, they are presently closer in TH with some taste/mouth feel differences. The X has about 2x the coil resistance and 2x wicking in it...trying to fill up the space for max coil/wick to air ratio. It takes higher wattage to push that wad.
I get what you're saying. Earlier I was looking at some doggy wicking videos on youtube and im noticing that a lot of them have way more room for the wick. I ordered mine because it has more air and its top fill. I forget who it was but the person that recommended that one to me didn't say anything about the wick space I just figured they were all the same. I gotta butcher the freakin thing to make it fit. Maybe I could try a different one that has more space.

I got my project x coiled and wicked perfectly right now. Your right the throat hit is definitely better when I bump it up to 25 watts. It still takes more effort though than I'd like to try to take long hits to get fully satisfied which im disappointed in. The Fresia hits like a mac truck lol.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Re: Doggie Style - The 2K16 and the 2K18 have a little different bases...below the desk. The '18 is closed below the deck and the '16 open if I'm interpreting some photos correctly. That 'may' allow for a lot more spreading of the wicks. I haven't got an '18, so I'm not certain. I'm not certain that the notches in the deck are the same.

I mentioned the Fresia as I took a look at it after your post mentioning it. It is more like the '16 below the deck, I believe. As far as performance, I haven't a clue other than my '16 seems to work well. The Fresia 'looks a bit like' the '16 Doggie other than the Doggies bell goes all the way down to the base with a bit of a gap on opposing sides to allow the eliquid in. Up top there are some obvious differences at the posts.

I just use plain ol' 316L for coils and unflavored 50mg/ml nicotine in full VG base.

We getting a bit away from the OP.

The wick and coil are setting in on the Hussar Project X now. At 25 watts on the X and 15 on the Doggie, they are presently closer in TH with some taste/mouth feel differences. The X has about 2x the coil resistance and 2x wicking in it...trying to fill up the space for max coil/wick to air ratio. It takes higher wattage to push that wad.

From what I understand, if you want more TH, the higher the coil, the better. Which it sounds like what you have done. But as the X is a side airflow RTA it really is a different vape compared to other below coil airflow RTAs.

I've been vaping Doggie Styles for a couple of years and don't have a lot of complaints with them, but thought that the bigger area of the deck and the screws inline with the coil legs on the X might make for easier coil & wick assembly installation.

While the X seems to be quite smooth, I seem to be missing some TH compared to the Doggies. With the side injection of air vs. the air from underneath, I suspect some of the difference can be found there. With the Doggies, I found the coil/wick close to the deck to be to my liking...solid hitting.

And yeah, you are correct, the X is a lot more of a smoother or rather different vape than the Doggy. But I also run my doggy coil really low to the airflow hole, as I don't like TH ;) Keep playing - both RTAs are my favourites and for different reasons.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I get what you're saying. Earlier I was looking at some doggy wicking videos on youtube and im noticing that a lot of them have way more room for the wick. I ordered mine because it has more air and its top fill. I forget who it was but the person that recommended that one to me didn't say anything about the wick space I just figured they were all the same. I gotta butcher the freakin thing to make it fit. Maybe I could try a different one that has more space.

I got my project x coiled and wicked perfectly right now. Your right the throat hit is definitely better when I bump it up to 25 watts. It still takes more effort though than I'd like to try to take long hits to get fully satisfied which im disappointed in. The Fresia hits like a mac truck lol.

The 2k18 doggy RTA deck is a lot harder to wick than the 2k16 version. As pointed above, it doesn't have the full GTA type deck like the 2k16 version does. With the 2k18 doggy, I cut the tails to the base of the deck, or even a bit more, and thin them. But I mainly use now the 2k16 version as it really is a doddle to wick, and the Project X :thumb:

• Informative
    Reactions: johnpalley

johnpalley

ECF Veteran
    Mar 24, 2010
    boston
    The 2k18 doggy RTA deck is a lot harder to wick than the 2k16 version. As pointed above, it doesn't have the full GTA type deck like the 2k16 version does. With the 2k18 doggy, I cut the tails to the base of the deck, or even a bit more, and thin them. But I mainly use now the 2k16 version as it really is a doddle to wick, and the Project X :thumb:
    Is it impossible to buy the 2k16 right now?

johnpalley

ECF Veteran
    Mar 24, 2010
    boston
    Actually I just found it on 3fvape. So does the sxk 2k16 have the biggest wicking room out of all the doggy's? Do you recommend this one? I'll pull the trigger on it right now. I also want the most air possible

Last edited:
    • Agree
    Reactions: AngeNZ

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Actually I just found it on 3fvape. So does the sxk 2k16 have the biggest wicking room out of all the doggy's? Do you recommend this one? I'll pull the trigger on it right now. I also want the most air possible

You want the SJMY version of the 2k16 doggy RTA. The sxk 2k16 has only a 1.6mm airflow hole. SJMY has 2.3mm.

$13.17 SJMY Doggystyle Styled RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer - 3.5ml / stainless steel + acrylic at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

And yes it has a ton of wicking room ;)

johnpalley

ECF Veteran
    Mar 24, 2010
    boston

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Im confused cause the sxk version says it has 2.5mm of air?
    SXK Doggystyle 2K16 Style Silver 3.5ml RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer

They are possibly talking about the airflow hole at the front, which may well be 2.5mm. But the airflow hole under the coil is definitely either 1.6 or 1.8mm.

It will be identical to this one from FT:
    $10.79 SXK Doggystyle Styled RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer - 3.5ml / stainless steel + PC / 22mm dia. at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

johnpalley

ECF Veteran
    Mar 24, 2010
    boston
    They are possibly talking about the airflow hole at the front, which may well be 2.5mm. But the airflow hole under the coil is definitely either 1.6 or 1.8mm.

It will be identical to this one from FT:
    $10.79 SXK Doggystyle Styled RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer - 3.5ml / stainless steel + PC / 22mm dia. at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    So the SJMY is definitely a more airier vape experience than the sxk? As soon you say yes im pulling the trigger. Sorry for taking this thread off subject

• Agree

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    So the SJMY is definitely a more airier vape than the sxk? As soon you say yes im pulling the trigger. Sorry for taking this thread off subject

YES ;) and I found it just as airy as the 2k18 sxk top fill doggy RTA :thumb:

Bring on your Project X's :D

• Winner
    Reactions: johnpalley

Janusz

ECF Veteran
    Feb 22, 2018
    Illinois, USA
    I guess the air to vapor ratio is high. With that thought, it came to mind that having a large coil and wick would put more substance in the line of the air flow. The area inside the X looks pretty ample. Checking my parts and pieces, I found a brass tube with a 4.75mm diameter. I wound a 10 or so turn coil around that and with some fiddling was able to get in, stuffed with Rayon and closed up without shorting. That may have made some difference, but not a lot.

I do not know where to start.... and I do not want to be rude... but...what you are doing will not improve your hussar experience... quite opposite. If you install HUGE 4.75 Coil you block the air... those 3 little holes on each side are so close to coil that air hits only small portion of coil and bottom of coil do not receive any air. Chamber in Project X is extremely tiny... much smaller than in Doggy... it is flat... do not have dome over... if you stuff it with huge coil and huge wick... only small area of coil will provide vapor and rest of juice will boil.

Project X is not designed for big or exotic coils. Because of side airflow, position of coil has to be perfect... but...good thing is positioning it perfectly is extremely easy by resting coiling rod in U shaped notches when securing coil legs. Optimal airflow/TH in Project X is with 2.5 mm ID coil with no more than 7-8 wraps of 26 gauge wire. If length of coil is too long only middle part of coil side will be hit with air... it is same situation when you install long (many wraps) coil very close to bottom AF hole in doggy... that of course is hard or impossible as even 2.5 mm is too big to be placed very low... so most people place it quite high.

Another thing with big ID coil is that wick that is coming at the end of coil is so big that no matter how much you fluff it it will be compressed very much in the inner U shaped notch (after placing tank over it) that your coil will be starved for juice. Starved coil will produce very little vapor and with little vapor you will not have TH.

More or bigger is not always better...

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Yes, SJMY is definitely a more airier vape experience than the sxk but I do not think it is airier than Project X fully open...:)

Yep, you are spot on there. Guesstimating the airflow in the Project X which is 3 x 1.5mm each side, it feels to me like a 3mm airflow hole id

muth

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 20, 2014
    Boston, MA, USA
    Hi @muth, how many are going to be in your next order?

And on a serious note, get plenty of the plastic tank extensions. One of my 4ml ones has ended up getting chewed up a little after a couple of weeks hard use.
    Funny you should mention that. Idk what happened or what I did but I can't turn the JFC back to open. Just happened now after refilling. Help!

• Love
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread