Hussar Project X RTA Clone (by Coppervape)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    There's only 2 little reasons stopping me from squonking 24/7:

asmodians.jpg

The two lil X RTAs on the left ;)

muth

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 20, 2014
    Boston, MA, USA

@johnpalley, sorry it took me so long. I wanted to spend some quality time with the Coilology MTL fused clapton ni80 2-30/40 wire. My brother gave me 2 spools of it.

I'm running with a 6 wrap spaced, 2.5 ID coil coming in at 0.72Ω and wicked with cotton. And I also ran it with rayon. No issues with either.
    View attachment 852791
    This is after a week with cotton ... pic from just a few minutes ago.
    View attachment 852793
    I've run it anywhere from 12-28w with the airflow tightened down, and wide open, and I get as nice a vape, with great flavor, as I do on any of my X's with every wire I've used.

I did some side-by-side testing with the LV 26/36 316L on one X and AVS 26/30 316L on another and for me the flavor and quality of vape is right there compared to the ni80 clapton.

My cotton wick is not very tight, but not loose, in the coil. It's wicking great with no issues. With it like that, as I vape, I hear the "normal" crackling as I do with any of my other rta's.

Hope that helps. :)
    I think I'll take the extension off my X. For one, I think it looks better as a shortie.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    I think I'll take the extension off my X. For one, I think it looks better as a shortie.
    I like them better "shortie" too and use 2 like that but I still run one w/4ml, just because. ;)
    Ever since I got my KFL19's I just dig the smaller form.

Today I added another SS X to my FT cart. That led me to looking at when I bought my Project X's. I received one in June, August and October. And a MTL X in August. That got me thinking that there really shouldn't be any mfr'ing differences between what I have and what everyone else has. They would all likely be from the same batches. IDK, just my thoughts anywho. :)

muth

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 20, 2014
    Boston, MA, USA
    I like them better "shortie" too and use 2 like that but I still run one w/4ml, just because. ;)
    Ever since I got my KFL19's I just dig the smaller form.

Today I added another SS X to my FT cart. That led me to looking at when I bought my Project X's. I received one in June, August and October. And a MTL X in August. That got me thinking that there really shouldn't be any mfr'ing differences between what I have and what everyone else has. They would all likely be from the same batches. IDK, just my thoughts anywho. :)
    I only know comparisons with Mordacai from what we discussed and compared. Does your long mode tank have 3mm juice holes in it like mine? My short tank has 2.5mm holes.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    I only know comparisons with Mordacai from what we discussed and compared. Does your long mode tank have 3mm juice holes in it like mine? My short tank has 2.5mm holes.
    I just grabbed my trusty digital caliper and measured my newest X 2ml tank juice holes, a couple spare 2ml tank sections and a couple spare 4ml tank ext's and they are all 2.85mm (juice holes inside the o-ring). These were all bought over the same span I mentioned previously. They're all consistent and very likely same as the authentic. :)

muth

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 20, 2014
    Boston, MA, USA
    I just grabbed my trusty digital caliper and measured my newest X 2ml tank juice holes, a couple spare 2ml tank sections and a couple spare 4ml tank ext's and they are all 2.85mm (juice holes inside the o-ring). These were all bought over the same span I mentioned previously. They're all consistent and very likely same as the authentic. :)
    Wow, thx for checking. Mine are quite different (the short vs the long).

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    Anyone else have to flip the coil upside down to put a pre wrap coil in it?

So I'm feeling as though I'm working for the Project X rather than it's working for me LOL. I can build a coil for it and make it work but I do have to build the coil for the device like I can't just slap anything in there and that's okay but every once in a while I just want to use a premade coil. Especially since my wire is sort of limited I have round wire and I have a small thing of Clapton. My focus right now is on other things not wire purchases since wire will always be available. So I know you guys are experts and you guys have made some amazing images to show people how to build. I appreciate the work you've put in. But I'm having an issue where the coil wants to go in upside down where the legs are on top and the actual coil is on the bottom and I know that you can do that but I don't like it. If I want to get the legs to go in without kinking them all to hell and back and causing my entire coil to twist pretty severely I have to put in a coil upside down. Does anyone else have this issue? I'm not putting anything crazy in it just a basic clapton. Like it's literally the Clapton that came with the Berserker if that helps. I really am not good at searching things in terms of the Forum so this question could have already been answered and I apologize but if anyone has any suggestions... on a higher note I do have it working fairly well I never get a dry hit, I don't get any leakage it's just the flavor. Last night I got a bit frustrated after having to put the coil in upside down and I went a whole different route and specifically made my very first from scratch juice just for this RTA. I'm calling it " standing in the general vicinity of an almost ripe mango tree with a slight stuffy nose"

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand

So I'm feeling as though I'm working for the Project X rather than it's working for me LOL. I can build a coil for it and make it work but I do have to build the coil for the device like I can't just slap anything in there and that's okay but every once in a while I just want to use a premade coil. Especially since my wire is sort of limited I have round wire and I have a small thing of Clapton. My focus right now is on other things not wire purchases since wire will always be available. So I know you guys are experts and you guys have made some amazing images to show people how to build. I appreciate the work you've put in. But I'm having an issue where the coil wants to go in upside down where the legs are on top and the actual coil is on the bottom and I know that you can do that but I don't like it. If I want to get the legs to go in without kinking them all to hell and back and causing my entire coil to twist pretty severely I have to put in a coil upside down. Does anyone else have this issue? I'm not putting anything crazy in it just a basic clapton. Like it's literally the Clapton that came with the Berserker if that helps. I really am not good at searching things in terms of the Forum so this question could have already been answered and I apologize but if anyone has any suggestions... on a higher note I do have it working fairly well I never get a dry hit, I don't get any leakage it's just the flavor. Last night I got a bit frustrated after having to put the coil in upside down and I went a whole different route and specifically made my very first from scratch juice just for this RTA. I'm calling it " standing in the general vicinity of an almost ripe mango tree with a slight stuffy nose"

Your new mix had me :lol: and congrats on your first mix :D

I got what you were asking - you have a premade coil, that is upside down (coil down, legs up) to what @ShowMeTwice used in his pic tutorial - correct?

There's two ways of winding a coil, clockwise and anti-clockwise. For the X RTA, we use clockwise coils. The Berserker clapton must be wrapped anti-clockwise.

I think (.... in more experienced builders PLEASE ;)) the fix for that is just to stick it on a coil rod, and undo half a wrap. Then compare it to the pic tutorial photos and see if it's the same. But wait til we have confirmation, in case I've screwed your coil up ;)

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest

I agree with @AngeNZ ... lose a 1/2 wrap on your coil. Or better yet just take the coil, unwrap it and then re-wrap it clockwise. That will get you to a coil up and legs down on the X deck.

Sounds like you're doing great with the Project X other than a lil niggle.

Good luck and let us know ... :)

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    Update for X owners, use two 18mm ID × 1mm thick Viton (FKM) o rings for the top cap that you have to remove to expose the fill port.

FKM will put up with a lot of punishment. And with the retrofit to you don't need to be the Hulk or Superman to fill the X anymore.

And @AvaOrchid, could you please post a picture of a coil that you've wrapped or wound?

Because as @AngeNZ and @ShowMeTwice have said, if the legs are on top it's wound the opposite way for the deck.

And are you using pre made coils sometimes? Because you can get complex wire for making your own coils, as Vandy Vape make thinner complex wire for MTL users which are lower mass.

Here's a link to Vandy Vape's website which lists all their MTL coiling wires.
    Vape Wires | VANDY VAPE® Full Steam Ahead

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    Update for X owners, use two 18mm ID × 1mm thick Viton (FKM) o rings for the top cap that you have to remove to expose the fill port.

FKM will put up with a lot of punishment. And with the retrofit to you don't need to be the Hulk or Superman to fill the X anymore.

And @AvaOrchid, could you please post a picture of a coil that you've wrapped or wound?

Because as @AngeNZ and @ShowMeTwice have said, if the legs are on top it's wound the opposite way for the deck.

And are you using pre made coils sometimes? Because you can get complex wire for making your own coils, as Vandy Vape make thinner complex wire for MTL users which are lower mass.

Here's a link to Vandy Vape's website which lists all their MTL coiling wires.
    Vape Wires | VANDY VAPE® Full Steam Ahead
    It didn't like the 1.3 ohm Vandy Vape MTL superfine coil that's one of the ones I have to flip upside down if I remember correctly, it doesn't like the ones that came with the Berserker and it definitely doesn't like the demon killer ones. It's working better than it ever has right now so I don't really want to mess with it. But when it comes time to need new wicking I'll take some pictures of everything as I check them (visually)to make sure that I'm not crazy LOL honestly if I just have to build the coil for it myself instead of using pre wrap that's fine. The only reason I really went for pre wrap this time was because I figured it was my lack of skill that was causing the muted flavor so I wanted to try something that was not wrapped by me. It's actually working fairly well with the mango I made *squee* but since it's almost to whole percent sweetener I'm anticipating probably needing a new Wick tomorrow

Update I just counted the Vandy Vape 1.3 ohm coils and there's no way that I even tried it on the X so maybe that's the solution because I really like those coils

Last edited:

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    I agree with @AngeNZ ... lose a 1/2 wrap on your coil. Or better yet just take the coil, unwrap it and then re-wrap it clockwise. That will get you to a coil up and legs down on the X deck.

Sounds like you're doing great with the Project X other than a lil niggle.

Good luck and let us know ... :)
    I will give that a try. It's definitely working better today than it ever has I've been using it solidly up until maybe an hour ago when I decided to try out one of my squonks for the first time. Next time I need a new coil I'll try unwrapping it a little bit to see if I can fix the situation or if worse comes to worse I'll just wrap the coils myself for it. I just wanted to see if it was my lack of coil wrapping skills that was causing the muted flavor and it could be. It's working pretty good on the Vandy Vape whatever the heck came with the beserker upside down LOL

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    Also I just wanted to thank everyone for putting up with me lol. I'm starting to grow fond of the little bugger. There's something about the look of it that I really enjoy and the quality of the build is phenomenal from what I can tell and what limited experience I have. :)

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    20191123_153322.jpg

The one on the top will not fit right side up. The little guy on the bottom that I just coiled so that I can compare them I believe will fit because that's usually how I do it I think but since I don't want to mess with the x atm I didn't try it out. How do I make the one on the top go the same way as the one that I made for some reason I just can't picture it?

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    View attachment 853879
    The one on the top will not fit right side up. The little guy on the bottom that I just coiled so that I can compare them I believe will fit because that's usually how I do it I think but since I don't want to mess with the x atm I didn't try it out. How do I make the one on the top go the same way as the one that I made for some reason I just can't picture it?
    Just unwind the one on top, put it on your coiling tool and rewind it clockwise. It will work perfectly then.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread