Status
Not open for further replies.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Yoiu've had awesome advice from some of the best mixers and most experienced recipe creators on ECF - (I ain't one of them ;))

Please list what flavours you do have - it's as simple as that.
You are an accomplished mixer, you've successfully created recipes you love to vape. Isn't that really all any of us are chasing?

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
On further reflection @DIYNoob , I think you probably started with one of the most difficult flavors to get a really good flavor out of. Orange, in any its variants, are just really difficult to get right. This is especially true if you want a pure orange taste. Adding custards, creams, or bakery make it much easier to get a good mix since the orange doesn't need to be as strong or pure, but orange by itself? Just a real challenge. Maybe that's why there aren't any really good pure oranges on the commercial market. Or at least none that I have found. If anyone knows of a really good pure orange I can order and try please let me know, not flavoring but a commercial juice.

If you are new to mixing try a strawberry mix. Those are very easy to get a pleasing mix. And there are quite a few very good strawberries to work with. Most good mixes I've tried myself and from others are a combination of different strawberries. Each add there own personality to the strawberry overall flavor. But you can also do a one ingredient mix that's quite vapable and build from there.

Don't give up and good luck.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
On further reflection @DIYNoob , I think you probably started with one of the most difficult flavors to get a really good flavor out of. Orange, in any its variants, are just really difficult to get right. This is especially true if you want a pure orange taste. Adding custards, creams, or bakery make it much easier to get a good mix since the orange doesn't need to be as strong or pure, but orange by itself? Just a real challenge. Maybe that's why there aren't any really good pure oranges on the commercial market. Or at least none that I have found. If anyone knows of a really good pure orange I can order and try please let me know, not flavoring but a commercial juice.

If you are new to mixing try a strawberry mix. Those are very easy to get a pleasing mix. And there are quite a few very good strawberries to work with. Most good mixes I've tried myself and from others are a combination of different strawberries. Each add there own personality to the strawberry overall flavor. But you can also do a one ingredient mix that's quite vapable and build from there.

Don't give up and good luck.
Highbrow Vapor, beautiful orange. I always requested 1 flavor shot added.
Orange de Sangre

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I wanna make my own. So i guess i need more than one orange flavour, to make one. Does this principle apply to other fruits too, say a banana? I would need more than one banana flavour from different companies? What about say a bakery, or a chocolate? One of my ideas is to simply make a chocolate mousse, but i guess that is not as simple as it sounds. This is harder than cooking..

I do mostly bakery. In my experience, you don’t need more than one of the predominant flavor, but you do need back up flavors. Different vanillas, graham cracker, cakes, cookies and such can add a lot and round out the main flavor. I don’t see any advantage to using more than about five flavors. If you’re doing that, you’re using the wrong ones, unless you’re going for something really complex (like a pie with a crust and nuts and a fruit with coffee or something equally ridiculous)

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I prefer mixing with 3-5 flavors but do find the nuances in complex mixes to be interesting and rather lovely personally. The hard part is finding the balance so the flavors don't muddy up each other. Just adding a drop of this and that can make a juice shine.

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
Highbrow Vapor, beautiful orange. I always requested 1 flavor shot added.
Orange de Sangre

Thanks for the suggestion. I just ordered a 30ml (that's the largest listed, but fine for a trial). I also changed to a 60vg/40pg instead of the 70pg/30vg they recommend knowing this will mute the flavor a bit, but I have issues with high pg. I'll let you know what I think of it.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Thanks for the suggestion. I just ordered a 30ml (that's the largest listed, but fine for a trial). I also changed to a 60vg/40pg instead of the 70pg/30vg they recommend knowing this will mute the flavor a bit, but I have issues with high pg. I'll let you know what I think of it.
I always ordered 70vg and it was always fine with just one shot. It is also nice with a cream shot. Their juices do not arrive steeped so you'll want to give it a couple weeks minimum. For highbrow juices I would order a month ahead, particularly liked the orange, pear, limoncella, coffees, and caramel.

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
I always ordered 70vg and it was always fine with just one shot. It is also nice with a cream shot. Their juices do not arrive steeped so you'll want to give it a couple weeks minimum. For highbrow juices I would order a month ahead, particularly liked the orange, pear, limoncella, coffees, and caramel.

I prefer to try it raw (unsteeped) in an RDA, then let it steep a week and try again. I'll do that until there's no longer a change in character. Most fruits, without additives like creams or custards mature quite quickly, so I'll see how this one does. I'm excited to try it though. While I make a pretty good orange ejuice, it's never been exactly what I'm looking for and would love to find something better so I can see what I'm missing in my recipes.

I find orange creams and custards easy to get right, but I am still struggling to get a legit (natural) orange flavor after a couple of years of experimenting. Something like a juicy, tart mandarin (not the TFA mandarin though). Just a really difficult mix for me I guess. I've developed mixers block on legit orange and need inspiration.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I prefer to try it raw (unsteeped) in an RDA, then let it steep a week and try again. I'll do that until there's no longer a change in character. Most fruits, without additives like creams or custards mature quite quickly, so I'll see how this one does. I'm excited to try it though. While I make a pretty good orange ejuice, it's never been exactly what I'm looking for and would love to find something better so I can see what I'm missing in my recipes.

I find orange creams and custards easy to get right, but I am still struggling to get a legit (natural) orange flavor after a couple of years of experimenting. Something like a juicy, tart mandarin (not the TFA mandarin though). Just a really difficult mix for me I guess. I've developed mixers block on legit orange and need inspiration.
FW natural orange 3-4%
FW natural blood orange 2-3%
FA royal orange 0.5-1%
Cap sweet tangerine 1.5-2%
INW cactus 0.5%
This makes a good basic orange one stone. For just orange 7-8%, for a cream mix 3-4%, for a fruit blend to taste. These of course are the brands and percentages that work for me. This shines for me as straight up orange at 6-8 weeks and doesn't fade. There isn't much mouthfeel so may want to add sweetener, marshmallow, or meringue.

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
The OP said he's looking for an Orange with some tartness or sour to it. Maybe he'd like to try the WF Orange Juice (which some people said tastes like Tang). It would add some tart and/or sour to a mix. I ordered some and just tried a tiny drop of it on my fingertip, and it does taste like Tang...right out of the flavoring bottle.

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
For me "tang" oranges are rather sweet. That being said CAP tangy orange is pretty good and doesn't need a longer steep. In my mind tangy = tart with a bit of tongue bite. Tang oranges have more a sweet tart sort of thing going on without the tongue bite. Hard to explain the difference.

Reactions: stols001

DIYNoob

Moved On
Jun 20, 2019
If you'll list the exact flavorings you have, people on here can likely recommend a recipe or 2 that you could make with some of them. If you have all primary flavorings though (main ones in a recipe), but no blenders or secondary ones (like creams, custards, etc.) you'll likely get suggestions of some you'd need...to make a complete, good-tasting, finished recipe. Sometimes, an additive or 2 will complete a recipe, too. No one knows right now though...what you have to work with, or could use to help you out.

You need to list each 1 like below though, with the brand and the specific flavor name. There are many different variations of Strawberry flavoring, Orange flavoring, etc. So the exact name is needed.

TFA Strawberry Ripe (that's The Flavor Apprentice brand)
CAP Juicy Orange (we'll know that's Capella brand)

Some other brand abbreviations, so you won't need to write the whole brand name out:
FW = Flavor West
FA - Flavor Art
INW = Inawera
RF = Real Flavors
WF = Wonder Flavors

There are others, but those seem to be the main ones. If you have a different one, just write it out.

Too much work. I don't have the energy to list all of them. I bought about 25 flavourings plus the pg/vg/nic for about 200$ Canadian. I have some creams, some fruits, some Cola and some Rum or something. And a graham cracker, and a doughnut. Thanks for the reply though, you guys are really patient with me. I think this requires a lot of patience in general.

DIYNoob

Moved On
Jun 20, 2019
To make an orange pop you have to keep tha additive flavor low 0.2-0.5. Best oranges for me are:
FW blood orange
FA blood orange
CAP sweet tangerine or WF (SC) tangerine, very similar, FW tangerine isn't bad either but I prefer the other two
FLV tangerine is useful but keep it low 0.5, not really necessary but does add a little punch
TFA orange mandarin
FA tanger (mandarin) and INW shisha orange are both good but do fade quite a bit
My must haves to use with orange mixes:
INW cactus, juiciness 0.5 or below
TFA dragon fruit or FA kiwi, juicy/tart 0.5 or below. if you over did the orange DF at 1 can help
HS cream and TFA vanilla swirl are my preferred cream with citrus
Apricot, peach, or mango, adds pop, start at 0.2 and go from there
If you like florals TFA honeysuckle, INW purple rain (violet vanilla) or FA violet , FA jasmine, FLV elderflower
These are the ones that appeal to me, several really shine with a longer steep but most are okay at 2 weeks.

Thank you very much. I'll include that in my next order. They have flowers to vape now..i don't think i've ever seen a vape juice using flours, ever, in a vape shop.

Reactions: stols001

DIYNoob

Moved On
Jun 20, 2019
This is patently false. I know exactly what the right ingredients are for my juices that are pleasing to me. Does that mean it will be the right ingredients for you? Not necessarily... it's up to you to discover that. If you make a 10Ml sample of 5% Juicy Orange and can't taste the Orange at all, then you have something quite different in your taste buds than most folks. Even if you decide you aren't a fan of that particular orange, you should be able to taste it. Here is where an RDA is very valuable, you can at least immediately taste the results of a quick test without going through the trouble of filling a tank after changing the wicking and cleaning so your not mixing the flavor with the last juice. I can't imagine the frustration that would involve testing juices at various percentages with any type of tank. Get an RDA... even a cheap one to test with and start getting to know your flavors by themselves before trying a multi-flavor mix. This is most important with your primary flavors of a juice, in this case orange, but really applies to all flavors when you get serious about mixing.

Until you get a grip on your primary flavor characteristics, you really don't stand much of a chance of getting a good juice, much less an ADV that you will be vaping for years down the road. Ultimately, it's up to you if you have the patience and resolve to do the work to create new palatable juices. No one said it's easy because it's not. But, if I can do it, and many others here can do it, then with the right focus and patience you can also do it. It will require a completely different approach from what you're doing now... and a much better attitude. Every failure is your mix talking to you and should be a learning experience you can build on. Right now you're sounding like you're not willing to put in the work or change your method that many are recommending. And most of the advice you are getting is really solid advice.

This post is not meant to discourage you, it is meant to get you to change your direction so you can be successful in mixing. Oh... and BTW, never buy just 1 primary flavoring, buy at least three (and preferably more than that) so you can properly test not only single flavors but flavor profile mixes. This save a lot of time and lets you dial in flavors to your preference without having to hope you got the right orange the first time since you probably won't.

Feel free to ignore everything I said though.

I don't ignore it, i'm still learning here. You guys are really the most patient people ever, if you tolerate me. You must be angels or something.

DIYNoob

Moved On
Jun 20, 2019
It is kind of a shame.

After every mixing session I think to myself, as I finish, dang MIXING is WORK. I also happen to love it, but it's very possibly more work than RTAs especially in the beginning.

I find it more satisfying but not everyone does. Some people are not cut out to mix.

OP, unless you begin heeding suggestions, I might say: cut your losses. You may be sad in the end of times when you don't have it DOWN but it is WORK.

I am TIRED by the time I've done 8 or so mixes very tired, actually. And I started with one flavor testers and I still do.

Unless you want one shots (which I do not even believe you have inquired what they ARE though I mentioned them) expect failure before success.

Whining will not change failure before success. I do not believe you have the ingredients you need to make a successful mix at the moment, your percentages are a mess, and you aren't ASKING questions or heeding advice.

You should. Your life will be easier.

Anna

Lol. You're funny. One shots, i presume, are a couple of ingredients mixed together in a delicious blend?

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Too much work. I don't have the energy to list all of them. I bought about 25 flavourings plus the pg/vg/nic for about 200$ Canadian.

Well, if doing even that (listing your approx. 25 flavorings) is "too much work", though it likely would help people come up with a recipe or 2 for you, using ones you already have...then DIY may truly not be for you. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread