I need mech mod info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Cooper

Oct 2, 2015
Hello everyone, I am looking to construct my own tube mech mod. And I am looking for all the info I need to do so such as good different kind of metals, tap & dye size, what drill bit will make a perfect fit for an 18650 battery, mechanics of the firing button. All that sort of stuff. I have scoured the Internet and I have not found any good facts on where to start. Other than DIY, homade projects. [Removed]

I am going to machine my own tube and build it from the ground up. [Removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Well 18650 batteries are 18mm wide.
The inside of most mods are about 20mm with a 2mm wall thickness making the mod 22mm OD.

You would start with tube stock not bar stock unless you just want to throw away a lot of metal.

You also may want to learn a bit about machine work and metalworking before spending any money on tools.
And maybe visit a machine shop or two.
The tube is the easy part.
Matching the switch isn't as easy.

There's a hell of a lot more to making a mod than drawing one on paper.

Reactions: Kprthevapr

Ken Cooper

Oct 2, 2015
Well 18650 batteries are 18mm wide.
The inside of most mods are about 20mm with a 2mm wall thickness making the mod 22mm OD.

You would start with tube stock not bar stock unless you just want to throw away a lot of metal.

You also may want to learn a bit about machine work and metalworking before spending any money on tools.
And maybe visit a machine shop or two.
The tube is the easy part.
Matching the switch isn't as easy.

There's a hell of a lot more to making a mod than drawing one on paper.
Those dimensions help alot. I have a buddy who is a machinist an is helping me find what I need and is going to teach me what I need to know. I totally understand that there is going to be a lot more work than just drawing it out. Knew it wasn't going to be that easy. I was going to use bar stock but you are very right using tube stock. Save a lot of money that way. Do you have any ideas on a switch?

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
Do you have any ideas on a switch?
Take a long hard look at the design of the all brass SMPL switch, in my opinion you would be hard pressed to engineer a better design from scratch. Your main concern with the switch should be providing as much surface area in contact when pressed as possible, the SMPL switch works so well because it contacts both the inside post of the switch and the outside rim simultaneously while firing, allowing more surface area to be in contact than a traditional switch design which only allows the center post of the switch to carry current.

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
http://www.fatdaddyvapes.com/shop.html?m should have the dyes and taps you need. And on the switch, forget the SMPL, check out the AV Peg/Buster mod (doesn't get hot button, it's very basic and efficient), or the 4nine style switch which is two opposing magnets, but one has the contact on it. I'll take a pic of my AV switch so you can see how stupid simple and great it is.
You could also go the way Sub Ohm Innovations went and complicate the whole button housing with a clutch plate. But I'd advise simplicity.

Ken Cooper

Oct 2, 2015
Whatever you do, Make sure you have some good venting holes in case the battery makes a thermal runoff.

If I was to make a mech, I'd put in vent holes top and bottom.

Also, why not make a 26650 mod as well while youre at it :)

Eric
Thank you Eric! Top and bottom vent holes would make for a nice and cool battery while vaping in general. And I do plan on making a 26650 I would just prefer to perfect the 18650 first. If you have any suggestions on firing buttons?

Reactions: Bad Ninja

Eric Auer

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2014
PA
I have very limited experience with Mechs as Only own one, A Chi You 26650 stainless. But I use it a lot and really like the magnetic switch on it.

As Mechs can be had at very good prices, I would buy a few of them if I were you and spend some time examining the switches.

Ask around here what people prefer, lots of very knowledgeable people around.

Eric

Reactions: Bad Ninja

Ken Cooper

Oct 2, 2015
http://www.fatdaddyvapes.com/shop.html?m should have the dyes and taps you need. And on the switch, forget the SMPL, check out the AV Peg/Buster mod (doesn't get hot button, it's very basic and efficient), or the 4nine style switch which is two opposing magnets, but one has the contact on it. I'll take a pic of my AV switch so you can see how stupid simple and great it is.
You could also go the way Sub Ohm Innovations went and complicate the whole button housing with a clutch plate. But I'd advise simplicity.
Hey Tom! Thanks for the knowledge! I would love to see pictures. I feel like I am just over thinking the mechanics of the switch. Get back at me!

Ken Cooper

Oct 2, 2015
I have very limited experience with Mechs as Only own one, A Chi You 26650 stainless. But I use it a lot and really like the magnetic switch on it.

As Mechs can be had at very good prices, I would buy a few of them if I were you and spend some time examining the switches.

Ask around here what people prefer, lots of very knowledgeable people around.

Eric
Yeah I will probably end up buying a few and tinker around with the mechanics. And yes there are very knowledgeable people here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread