I swear i've gone crazy...non-smoker wanting to start vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to, do it. Why would you ask anyone here.
Because I am curious and wondered if it was something I might like to try for myself..maybe it will help with my emotional eating. Maybe not. I generally research things before I dive right in. Maybe someone here had some bad experiences. Maybe someone got sick. Maybe someone has lost 30 pounds because they took up vaping. I figured I was being smart asking instead of just taking up a new habit. This is the newbie forum after all and the appropriate place to ponder such things.

I dont know if your question required an answer or if it was just rhetorical so I answered it on the assumption that you were truly wondering why I was asking. :)

I guess it wouldn't be bad for you to start vaping, but I would suggest that you do it with no nicotine. Almost all online juice sellers have 0% nic.

I am sorry to hear about your sister. Avoid any additions at this time is the best medicine for you. vaping non nicotine would be OK.
You also might benefit from some therapy as well with a license therapist where you can talk through what is causing you stress in life. I have in the past and it was a very good idea and I benefited from it.
:) I have emotional baggage and once upon a time, benefited greatly from talking to someone. I dont think I am over the edge emotionally yet. I'm just stressed...worried about this economy, where the world is heading and how my kids are going to make it once they move out. My daughter is heading off to college for psychology. lol, I will hit her up for some free counseling when she graduates in 4 years. Its the least she can do for all of the years I have been in a counselor's role for her!

Nicotine most certainly isnt going to solve much. But those flavors...they are giving me an itch. I've already been to White Cloud and have put a 10 pack in my cart 2 different times. I still havent actually bought anything...then I went to ebay and saw some used gadgetry for sale and i'm still trying to wrap my head around what I want to get...thankfully, someone here told me to just get an ego battery with "cartos" and juice...I started there at another site and loaded my cart with everything (came to about 44 bucks) and then realized the juice didnt actually say 0 nic....so I didnt know if it had nicotine or not so I abandoned the darned place. lol...I am having fun shopping around and reading the threads here in the other forums. I like that its keeping me distracted. Tomorrow is a new day and will have enough troubles of its own!

:)

yaypudding

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
North of NYC
Welcome and sorry about your sister,

I'm just about at my 1 month quit date and have lost around 12lbs. Granted i'm a 28yo male, but what did it for me was not going to convenience stores as much. I have, on bad days, an 1 1/2hr commute each way. This is were I would do much of my smoking, waiting in traffic. I would always stop by the 7-11 grab a pack of smokes and something to drink and/or eat for the journey and to soothe my throat. Now since I haven't the need to buy smokes, I don't even think about going there, put a case of water in the back seat and I'm set.

Vaping has also toned down my boredom snacking. Having my vape in my hand nearly all the time gives me something with a more immediate effect, don't even have to open the fridge, just push a button. So there is that, idk if the nicotine is subduing my hunger or what but it has been working.

That is my experience so far into vaping, I believe you can do whatever you want. I mean, how people told us not to smoke? We didn't listen, but that's also what made it more appealing and fun. So, if you wanna give it a try, go for it, if you don't, you'll always wonder what if? lol good luck

Jfresh859

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
Because I am curious and wondered if it was something I might like to try for myself..maybe it will help with my emotional eating. Maybe not. I generally research things before I dive right in. Maybe someone here had some bad experiences. Maybe someone got sick. Maybe someone has lost 30 pounds because they took up vaping. I figured I was being smart asking instead of just taking up a new habit. This is the newbie forum after all and the appropriate place to ponder such things.

I dont know if your question required an answer or if it was just rhetorical so I answered it on the assumption that you were truly wondering why I was asking. :)

emotional eating, and eating way to much in general stem from deeper problems. I would suggest not becoming addicted to something your not already addicted to. Nicotine MAY help your hunger, but may not. And even if it does, emotional eating specifically comes from stress or life problems. If you heal those wounds now, your problem will be solved. If you cover those wounds with up with another drug (food is a drug, it releases dopamine, the same thing that is realeased when you do most drugs)they will only become deeper and harder to solve later.
a good movie to get you on the right track is the gerson miracle. its on netflix, hulu, and youtube.
dont waste your money talking to someone, find a friend to talk to. Heck, talk to a pet, a kid, whatever. its not talking to someone that helps, its being forced to talk about it, thus think about it, thus process and understand it, thus overcoming it. you dont need money to do that, your smart enough to look up questions online, your smart enough to overcome all problems.
you are great:D

now if you wana do a 0%nic, just for flavor, just to do it, thats your choice, but it wont have the familiar throat hit of a ciggy, but i doubt it would be harmful.
but remember, heal now not later.

tinkrrrbell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
If counseling worked for nicotine addiction, Every single person on this message board would have a therapist, Or have had a therapist, just for that.

If you're an emotional eater, and you feel you to eat more food, make better food choices. If you eat enough lettuce to make you full, it will reduce your caloric intake. If you vape instead of eating, you're not fixing anything - it's a swap. Same as when people quit tobacco and start over eating, they're not fixing anything - they're just trading one for another.

emotional eating, and eating way to much in general stem from deeper problems. I would suggest not becoming addicted to something your not already addicted to. Nicotine MAY help your hunger, but may not. And even if it does, emotional eating specifically comes from stress or life problems. If you heal those wounds now, your problem will be solved. If you cover those wounds with up with another drug (food is a drug, it releases dopamine, the same thing that is realeased when you do most drugs)they will only become deeper and harder to solve later.
a good movie to get you on the right track is the gerson miracle. its on netflix, hulu, and youtube.
dont waste your money talking to someone, find a friend to talk to. Heck, talk to a pet, a kid, whatever. its not talking to someone that helps, its being forced to talk about it, thus think about it, thus process and understand it, thus overcoming it. you dont need money to do that, your smart enough to look up questions online, your smart enough to overcome all problems.
you are great:D
May I just say that you rock??? I do have a dear friend that I usually vent to. And it does help. I have other friends that are always willing to listen....but I can count on one hand the ones who wont turn around and gossip (out of concern, of course ;)) afterwards. Music has always been a good soothing source for me. I seriously wonder if I have hit the magically-wonderful age of menopause, where stress is high and the hormones have me convinced I am in a mid-life crisis or something fun like that. Like I said in my first post, lots of not-so-lovely changes recently. Vaping, if not for weight loss and easing anxiety..maybe I can just use it to be a rebel, eh? :D

I will take a peek on netflix and see if that film is something that piques an interest in me. Thanks for the heads up there!

If you vape instead of eating, you're not fixing anything - it's a swap.
I know. Thats kinda what i'm going for here. :) I'm not here asking people to "fix me" (although I am thankful for each of you that have showed care and concern!) I am here to talk about swapping out one bad habit for a healthier one and am wondering how it all works.

I've heard enough people say that vaping has helped them to avoid snacking, so I guess I have my answer!

Jfresh859

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
its america, if you wana do it... do it.
but do it right, dont get crappy cheap juices. stick with something ecf registered.
start at 0% see if that helps. they make a product to ecig users that adds throat hit, maybe with 0% and lots of that it would help?

get a decent system. vapedudes has good ego style batteries.
get a 1100 ego click, get a texas tuff tank, a charger, a 5 pack of boge cartos, and a 30 ml bottle of juice. your set.

but do it right, dont get crappy cheap juices. stick with something ecf registered.
start at 0% see if that helps. they make a product to ecig users that adds throat hit, maybe with 0% and lots of that it would help?

get a decent system. vapedudes has good ego style batteries.
get a 1100 ego click, get a texas tuff tank, a charger, a 5 pack of boge cartos, and a 30 ml bottle of juice. your set.

thanks...I was just there looking at the Ego-O CE4 System that comes with the 3 10ml bottles of juice to start for $38.99. sounds like a deal, plus I added another couple of juices to try. Once I have my first setup, I will probably understand better what the different parts are and will feel more comfortable buying the parts separately. I'm thinking I will have to buy replacement parts if I like it well enough to continue.

Ciel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2013
Dothan, AL, USA
I wasn't a smoker when I started vaping. I had quit for years before I decided to vape. I vape to calm my nerves and curve my cravings for analogs. Don't let anyone make you feel nuts for doing something you enjoy! I'm sure many people have started vaping just for a release. Personally...I have a hard time sleeping without a vape before bed! Don't ever feel silly or nuts over such a harmless act. Yes, there are few non-smokers who pick up vaping...but you are not alone! :)

Good luck, and happy vaping.

thanks...I was just there looking at the Ego-O CE4 System that comes with the 3 10ml bottles of juice to start for $38.99. sounds like a deal, plus I added another couple of juices to try. Once I have my first setup, I will probably understand better what the different parts are and will feel more comfortable buying the parts separately. I'm thinking I will have to buy replacement parts if I like it well enough to continue.

I was going to recommend that setup! It is a good place to start.
Not everyone here will be able to understand what you are going through, and I think, personally, that vaping is better than Valium or other pharmaceuticals.
I also understand the horror of breast cancer, it runs in my family. I have 2 aunts, my mothers sisters, that both have had breat cancer and have had mastectomies. Both are fine as of now but I get check ups regularly because of it.
I also am 45 years old and about 40 lbs overweight, but vaping has not helped that but I have noticed I'm not eating sweets since I started vaping sweet flavors, it seems to help my sweet tooth. I also have bipolar disorder and it does help with that. It really keeps my stress down so that I don't have "episodes" and I do not have to take any pharm. meds., those things were horrible, I felt like a zombie most of the time. I only vape a 12mg nic so I don't think that is so bad. I did try to vape 6 mg nic but it didn't help me much so I went back to the 12mg nic.

Also like others have said maybe by you getting into vaping you could also help your hubby to learn about it and maybe he will quit smoking so that would be a plus to you vaping.

I would recommend mount baker vapors for your juices (after the 3 bottles you get with the kit you mentioned). They have really cheap prices and their fruity flavors are really good.

I wasn't a smoker when I started vaping. I had quit for years before I decided to vape. I vape to calm my nerves and curve my cravings for analogs. Don't let anyone make you feel nuts for doing something you enjoy! I'm sure many people have started vaping just for a release. Personally...I have a hard time sleeping without a vape before bed! Don't ever feel silly or nuts over such a harmless act. Yes, there are few non-smokers who pick up vaping...but you are not alone! :)

Good luck, and happy vaping.
thanks! And great avatar picture! :)

I was going to recommend that setup! It is a good place to start.
Not everyone here will be able to understand what you are going through, and I think, personally, that vaping is better than Valium or other pharmaceuticals.
I also understand the horror of breast cancer, it runs in my family. I have 2 aunts, my mothers sisters, that both have had breat cancer and have had mastectomies. Both are fine as of now but I get check ups regularly because of it.
I also am 45 years old and about 40 lbs overweight, but vaping has not helped that but I have noticed I'm not eating sweets since I started vaping sweet flavors, it seems to help my sweet tooth. I also have bipolar disorder and it does help with that. It really keeps my stress down so that I don't have "episodes" and I do not have to take any pharm. meds., those things were horrible, I felt like a zombie most of the time. I only vape a 12mg nic so I don't think that is so bad. I did try to vape 6 mg nic but it didn't help me much so I went back to the 12mg nic.

Also like others have said maybe by you getting into vaping you could also help your hubby to learn about it and maybe he will quit smoking so that would be a plus to you vaping.

I would recommend mount baker vapors for your juices (after the 3 bottles you get with the kit you mentioned). They have really cheap prices and their fruity flavors are really good.

thanks for sharing what you've been through...my husband's first reaction to my sister's news was to ask me when I had been checked last. This is the first breast cancer in the family but my grampa died of stomach cancer, my aunt died at 34 with Hodgkins Lymphoma, my uncle and gramma both have had colon cancer so it definitely runs in our family. Hearing that your aunts got through it is good to hear!

I like your comments about the flavors helping to satisfy your sweet tooth...its really what I am hoping for! When I am eating clean, I miss the taste of chocolate and caramel and cake and such. I have healthier alternatives but to have a vape that gives me a sweet taste will really "hit the spot" for me!

tinkrrrbell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
I know. Thats kinda what i'm going for here. :) I'm not here asking people to "fix me" (although I am thankful for each of you that have showed care and concern!) I am here to talk about swapping out one bad habit for a healthier one and am wondering how it all works.

I've heard enough people say that vaping has helped them to avoid snacking, so I guess I have my answer!

I've been overweight since I was still a single digit age. Believe me, I'm familiar with the battle. I've been yo-yoing the same 100lbs since I was a teenager - lose 50, gain 30, lose 40, gain 75, lose 20.

I was at my largest when I was eating 3 meals a day and 2 of them were McDonalds. I was my smallest when I was eating a steak and salad with real cheese and full fat ranch dressing on it for dinner and not snacking on junk in between meals. It's about quality of food first, then quantity. The plain and simple fact is you can't not feel full if you eat 500 calories of veggies, but you're going to be still starving if you eat 500 calories of chips and soda.

I was concerned if I attempted to quit smoking it would derail my recent dietary successes - I've lost just shy of 30lbs since the end of May. I'm continuing to lose, so it's not a leap to conclude vaping is helping me not overeat, as so many people do when they quit tobacco.

All well and good right? Sure... but green as I am at all this, it just seems poor form to recommend anyone use vaping to avoid eating if they weren't addicted to nicotine in the first place. I haven't even mentioned the fact (at least not in this thread) that people picking up vaping who are not using it as a nicotine delivery system might help make the argument for banning e-cigarettes. :-(

All that said...

jac1766

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2013
The 6th circle
Valley...
I believe you are making a very reasonable choice, but the disposables aren't very good.
Wanting to not appear a smoker.., the cig-a-like will look like a cigarette, where an eGo style setup will not. There are many inexpensive kits for starters available online. I'd look at an eVod kit or something along those lines, as a beginner's kit... just my :2c:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread