Not open for further replies.

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
...anyhoo back to me. I am 30 pounds overweight. I am pretty sure my body chemistry is starting to change because of my age. I dont lose weight like I have always been able to do (when I actually try ;) ) and I have gained tummy weight which I have never done before so I am seriously worried that I will never get rid of this extra weight. I am thinking of e-cigs with nicotine to help me stop my emotional eating, as well as helping me with the stress and anxiety that comes with having 2 teenagers and a 7 year old boisterous son! My main hope is to stop munching due to boredom or stress...my other hope is to have that little "something" to indulge in to calm my nerves instead of the glass of wine I have once a week or so, in addition to eating junk food. I'm not a big drinker or i'd just do that instead, lol! But drinking is adding calories too isnt it so while that would help my stress, it certainly would do little for the weight loss attempts.

I dunno, am I nuts here? If I do start using e-cigs, I will most likely use them secretly at first just to avoid the social stigma of being a "smoker". In talking to other people, I have found that non-smokers think they are ridiculous and smokers are ok with them. I'm ashamed to admit that I am worried about what people will think of me but I work at my son's elementary school and I work with special ed children. I just feel like I will be judged, ya know?

so, does anyone here vape (with nicotine) for weight loss and anxiety? What are you experiences?

Since you have a history of smoking, it's not necessarily "crazy". In fact, I started as a very casual, light, social smoker. Was one for some years. It was a period of high stress late in college and after that shoved me into the "pack a day" range and it went up from there. Quit in mid-twenties for nearly a year. Had "skirmishes" with it for months. Hit bumpy times and went right back, full speed ahead.

In my opinion, you're describing a scenario where you could restart smoking any day now. And worse than before. Especially having them available so cheaply. If I were still a smoker, I'd be begging you to smuggle cartons to me. :D

($65 and up a carton here... ouch)

A couple of thoughts.

If you want to try it out, start with no nicotine. There are tons and tons of 0 nic liquids. Most all vendors sell their liquids in 0 nic versions. A big part of smoking is a psychological dependence. You might "fake out" your system. :)

(No, seriously, the psychological side of smoking is a big thing. It's not all just chemicals.)

At the same time, I do not, at all, believe nicotine will help with anxiety. A little background here...

I was in New Orleans. Yeah, that stuff you saw on the TV news. I was there. Yay. Then, right afterward, my best friend died at the age of 47. Unrelated to the storm. Then, after all the chaos, relocating near family, far from any coast line, in 2011 the Austin area had the "most destructive wildfire in Texas history". One of the many fires ripped right past my house. I have pictures that could make your hair stand on end.

Suffice it to say, I have a bit of anxiety disorder. Not as bad as some. But I got one. Gets better over time but 2011 sure didn't help. I told my brother if I hear the word "evacuate" one more time in my life, just get the straight jacket. I was trying to be funny, yes. But I was only about half joking.

In my personal experience (and others I've talked to here on ECF), nicotine does nothing for anxiety.

What I've read is that cigs have MAOIs in them. That is, actual anti-depressants. That's probably why they seem to "calm" people and why people smoke when stressed. Of course, getting lung cancer is probably very stressful. So I can't say returning to smoking would be a good idea. Despite the MAOIs in cigs.

What helps me with anxiety is Xanax (in fact, have to see my doctor today, need to get off the computer in a minute). Nicotine does zip for it.

Some folks around here report that 0 nic vaping seems to help them avoid sweets and such. So that might be worth a try. But there are no guarantees on that front. I vape nicotine liquids and since I quit smoking, I've been putting on weight. It's certainly not helping me with the weight thing. There are, at last count, some 4,000 chemicals in tobacco smoke. Somewhere, in there, are stimulants that used to "rev up" my metabolism more than nicotine alone can do. I've been badgering myself to dust off the treadmill before Greenpeace tries to save me by pushing me back into the ocean.

If you have escaped nicotine, I would be very much against you returning to it. Unless the alternative is you're going to smoke. Certainly, I'd rather see someone vape rather than smoke. But only you can tell whether the stress and living with a smoker is creating a risk that you will return to smoking.

Since I have an anxiety disorder, that's a topic I talk to other vapers with anxiety issues about. And none of them find vaping to have any effect on their anxiety. None. I know that's not "scientific research" but if nicotine helped with anxiety, you'd think I'd run into some folks who could say, "Yeah, it does". I ain't found none.

And whether it helps with stress eating and such things, that seems to vary a great deal. Some folks say the sweet tasting juices helps them avoid candies and such things. Others gain weight anyway. Like me. In fact, since quitting smoking and my sense of taste returning, ice cream tastes really, really good now. Uh oh. :)

So, no, I don't believe nicotine will do anything except addict you. Zero nic vaping may help with some things but it's a crap shoot. Tasting sweet juice might make you want sweets even more. Like, oh, you smell fresh baked pie, that doesn't make you "not want pie". It makes you WANT pie right?

The only thing I believe vaping could help you with is avoiding returning to smoking. If you think that is likely.

The rest... I highly doubt it. I think you would be risking becoming addicted (or re-addicted) to nicotine and still have the anxiety and eating issues. You'd just add one more problem to the mix. Which would likely cause more anxiety...

Jfresh859

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
thanks for sharing what you've been through...my husband's first reaction to my sister's news was to ask me when I had been checked last. This is the first breast cancer in the family but my grampa died of stomach cancer, my aunt died at 34 with Hodgkins Lymphoma, my uncle and gramma both have had colon cancer so it definitely runs in our family. Hearing that your aunts got through it is good to hear!

I like your comments about the flavors helping to satisfy your sweet tooth...its really what I am hoping for! When I am eating clean, I miss the taste of chocolate and caramel and cake and such. I have healthier alternatives but to have a vape that gives me a sweet taste will really "hit the spot" for me!

you should check out Brads Raw Leafy Kale. They are kale chips, and raw. the nacho flavour, for instance is not cheese, but it taste just like it. you can make butters from almonds, cheese like paste with cashews, brazil nuts, and walnuts, and dont forget almonds make amazing milk.

also there is raw vegan chocolate, which im only suggesting raw as a source of AMAZING junk food thats AMAZING on the cals and surgars!
Pure Organic Nutrition Snack Bar Chocolate Brownie | Walgreens
something like that, really, but places like whole foods sells a huge array of these things. the brownies taste like real brownies, moist and chocolate, but low cal. and has alot of good things in it.

also dont use sugar, use Raw agave nectar. its much sweater, has a low glycemic absorbsion rate, so its sweet but wont be too bad. (its still a sugar though)

Jfresh859

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
also, i dont work for the vape dudes,
but one last thing, I had a tea drinking habit, switched from coffee years ago. I fell in love with arnold palmer style mixes, as well as lemonade flavors, especially fruity sweet ones.
i guess you could say I dont really drink tea anymore, and thats mostly due to using ecigs.
it worked for getting that beverage fix for me, so it should do well for snaking as well.
they make dessert flavors, like cakes, chocolate, candy bar, they got everything now. enjoy your new quest for the perfect juice/perfect setup:laugh:

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
I think zero nic flavored juice and vaping would perhaps do wonders for the anxiety and weight loss issues. It's blasphemy for me to say that even a little nic wont' hurt you, which is true btw, so I won't say go for it. Since nic occurs naturally in many vegetables, and because nic is used in the treatment of about ten different disorders right now, none of which have been shown to have harmful side effects, I think in moderation it's harmless. However, recommending nic to a non-addicted person is just not something we do here, and I have been flamed for saying it's ok before. So, no nic for you! Good luck and best to you!

Taylor7617

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
Humble, Texas, United States
All of the previous are great comments to help the OP through the thought process. The one thing that I couldn't find mentioned in this thread is the issue with nicotine in and of itself. If I recall the first post, the OP has been off analogs for quite some time. Doing anything with nic in it will also begin constricting blood vessels again and reduce blood flow. If she has any health problems....this is another point to consider. Nobody can make the final decision except the OP............but she needs to be fully informed and should she decide to start vaping, do it on 0 Nic as suggested. Another note, if you can get the hubby doing it ....he'll probably have a high nic level (24mg, probably not below 18 depending on how much and whether his analogs are reg/light/ultralight) so probably not the best to borrow his should you "think" you need the nic.

Just something else to consider......

seros

Aug 18, 2013
Kentucky
I love seeing these threads, mainly because it tells me that maybe I'm not crazy myself (or maybe we all are)! I have never smoked a day in my life, nor have I ever had anything to do with any tobacco related products. I was the kid the DARE commercials actually worked on, apparently. My wife used to smoke in high school, and the stress of her job caused her to get back into smoking VERY sparingly (maybe one or two a week) a couple years back. Now that the stress of her job is increasing along with her job responsibilities, and instead of risking her deciding to go back to a very dangerous habit, we've decided to start vaping together.

Yep, together. Me, the 'good kid.' Anyway I picked up a couple eGo batteries and clearo's from a local shop, along with a Kanger Protank for myself and some juices. She's trying out the 12mg right now, and I'm trying out 0mg Mountain Dude (will arrive in the mail this week), and a 6mg lemon blueberry cotton candy. I am going to spend the next week or two determining whether the small nicotine content will help with my adult ADD, food cravings, and a couple other issues; if not then I'll be a 0mg vaper for life. If the nic seems to make a difference, I may go down to 3mg to see if that does the trick as well.

I agree with Taylor above that it's best to do your research on the matter. I've been reading up for the past few weeks and have made a decision that is my own, knowing full well that ten years from now e-cigs may suddenly be discovered to be the worst evil cancer creating monster ever, or could be perfectly harmless. But in my personal situation I think it's more than worth a shot.

SharonH

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2013
Ontario, Canada & California
so, does anyone here vape (with nicotine) for weight loss and anxiety? What are you experiences?
Haven't read the other responses but 3 weeks on e-cigs as of today and I've gained 6 pounds even though I'm not even off of analogs entirely. Do NOT vape with nicotine for weight loss!

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
Haven't read the other responses but 3 weeks on e-cigs as of today and I've gained 6 pounds even though I'm not even off of analogs entirely. Do NOT vape with nicotine for weight loss!

Yeah. I wish nicotine worked for weight loss.

According to the little print out my doc gives me (regular, ordinary visit this past week) says I'm up 20 pounds since I switched to vaping. Oh. Goodie.

Now I don't get to blame the dryer anymore for my clothes getting tighter...

SharonH

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2013
Ontario, Canada & California
Yeah. I wish nicotine worked for weight loss.

According to the little print out my doc gives me (regular, ordinary visit this past week) says I'm up 20 pounds since I switched to vaping. Oh. Goodie.

Now I don't get to blame the dryer anymore for my clothes getting tighter...
I don't get it myself but I'm snacking more for the first time ever. I need to find healthier options and increase exercise before this gets out of control! :laugh:

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
Well I was the kid the dare commercials taught to use whippets and I'm telling you not to trade one addiction for another. you have health insurance if you've got a job. Go to a nutritionalist OP. And if your wife needs nicotine to quit cigs, good for her. But you should start with 0 nic if you can help it.

thanks for all of the latest replies...I had 2 different starter kits in my cart 2 times at vapor dudes and both times, backed out without ordering. I ended up buying 2 whitecloud flings, 0 nic...vanilla and strawberry. Liked the flavor, not sure if I like the feeling of taking in the vapor though. Its an odd sensation. My 18 year old daughter pretty much had a cow seeing me puff on it so I set them aside. My husband on the other hand is starting to do more vaping with disposables. I think what has stopped me from getting a battery/cartridge/tank setup is the idea of the looks of the thing...there is a negative stigma attached to smoking and vaping a disposable that looks like an analog is bad enough, but I also wonder what it might look like to be seen puffing on a device with a glass or plastic tank...could it be mistaken for drug paraphernalia?

As for my anxiety, I have made an appt with my dr to talk with her about my anxiety and the idea of vaping. Nicotine is out of the question because i've been convinced that its very unwise to begin after quitting for all these past years.

I am quite happy that my husband is using the disposables...I think I am going to buy him a nice kit with juice for Christmas so he can have the full "smoking" experience plus nicotine without the carcinogens. I hope it will help him quit but even if he cant/wont...at least vaping is healthier for both him and us than his nasty smelling analogs!

Firecrow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I am glad you started this as your new member thread. Aside from cigars every now and again (like 10 a year), I've been a non-smoker all my life. Introduced to vaping less than a week ago and I'm enjoying it and feeling guilty all at the same time (using an iTaste 134 with 6mg juice).

My mother was a chain smoker and I grew up in a cloud of second hand smoke and I find smoking absolutely disgusting but thoroughly enjoy vaping. So now I am dealing with non-smoker-turned-to-vaper guilt. I also think there is a fundamental difference between the 4000 chemical you smoke when you use a cigarette versus vaping. And nicotine? Bah, if thats the core addictive substance for me, after the many years growing up with second hand smoke (literally got hotboxed every time we drove anywhere and throughout the house) I think the bigger risk is the oral fixation and crutch. I feel like I have to apologize for the decision to vape. Your post and the many posts after were very helpful and enlightening for me. Thanks. I hope your sister is okay.

tvigne

Dec 26, 2013
UK
Hi Val,

I'm new to vaping myself, but I started in order to quit analogues. Although the effects of long-term vaping aren't known, the effects of nicotine are, so why subject yourself to addiction?

I'm an emotional eater, too, so you have my full sympathy. One thing that I have found helpful is to do something with my hands; I took up crocheting. I find that it takes my mind off my 'worries' and, because I get absorbed in a project, it also keeps me from eating unhealthily.

If you do decide to vape, I agree with the poster about using 0mg nicotine eliquids.

Good luck. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread