I think I broke it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

supergerbil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2012
Elk Grove, CA
So last night I decided to switch flavors in my one and only clearo (v2 vision). I dumped out what juice was left in it, rinsed in a couple times in hot water, shook and blew the thing out then loaded it up. Well the rest of the night I was getting weak hits. Tiny amount of vapor, no throat hit, but I could still taste it.

This morning it was still wonky so I dumped out the new juice (which I didnt like anyways) and filled it with some good ol mocha. No rinsing this time, just shaking it out and blowing. After about 3-4 puffs the vapor production was up a bit but still weak compared to before I rinsed it out.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter? Did I break it?

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
After washing did you dry burn it?

So last night I decided to switch flavors in my one and only clearo (v2 vision). I dumped out what juice was left in it, rinsed in a couple times in hot water, shook and blew the thing out then loaded it up. Well the rest of the night I was getting weak hits. Tiny amount of vapor, no throat hit, but I could still taste it.

This morning it was still wonky so I dumped out the new juice (which I didnt like anyways) and filled it with some good ol mocha. No rinsing this time, just shaking it out and blowing. After about 3-4 puffs the vapor production was up a bit but still weak compared to before I rinsed it out.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter? Did I break it?

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Tap water is very nasty in the vaping world. I know from experience. Below credit to OP but this is what I've done to clean friend's clearos. I have multiple clearos so cleaning isn't an issue for me yet.

Once it's empty I rinse it out a few times and dry everything off, shake it out some more and re-dry.

Making sure the contacts are dry before it gets attached to a PV or battery.

With the drip tip off, on low voltage(4 or so) begin firing for 3 sec. intervals while gently blowing
any vapour away from the top.

I wait 10-15 secs. between firings. 3- 4 cycles.

Cycle 3 or 4 more times, only 3 or 4 seconds per each firing.
Increase voltage again and repeat.

At some point as you are gently blowing, you'll notice vapour coming off the coil.

Continue the process(3 sec. burn followed by 10-15sec. rest) until the coil is
glowing red and the vapour is gone.

At any time in this process you notice the coil is very red or a burnt smell
stop dryburning....you're firing it too long or you're done.

Refill to the top of the wicks, do a couple dry pulls then short primer puffs
and your SD should be running good as new.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/canada-forum/285060-vision-stardust-clearomizer-what-6.html

TommyG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2012
Aurora, CO
Aside from dry burning I suggest making sure the wicks are as dry as you can get them. I use a paper towel and press each wick until I stop getting water. I know that when I clean out a carto I sometimes have a similar problem that I have to vape through, usually a small amount of water that needs to get out of there.

supergerbil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2012
Elk Grove, CA
Thanks for the tips guys, especially the dry burning tutorial! Its been slowing improving over the course of the day so yeah it was probably a little bit of water that Im working through.

Think I could use an air nozzle hooked up to my compressor to dry it out after future cleanings or would that just be a "you might be a redneck...;" joke?

martinc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
Montreal,Quebec,Canada
Thanks for the tips guys, especially the dry burning tutorial! Its been slowing improving over the course of the day so yeah it was probably a little bit of water that Im working through.

Think I could use an air nozzle hooked up to my compressor to dry it out after future cleanings or would that just be a "you might be a redneck...;" joke?

This just send it flying across the room like a projectile...wear safety goggles!

supergerbil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2012
Elk Grove, CA
So I went ahead and tried the air compressor and it actually worked!

I used an airline off my secondary stepdown reg so I was pushing about 22 psi. I aimed the nozzle down the side of the clearo wall (like if I was filling it) and gave it about 15%. Did that a couple times, dry burned, then blew it out again. The only issue was the air blew the long wicks up past the cap but I was able to get them back into position with a couple light controlled puffs.

Dont know if I would recommend this to everyone as I could see it being very easy to launch the thing across the room but for me it worked! My clearo is back to its former glory!

Also I went ahead and ordered some more clearos and cartos as I will probably end up destroying a couple.

Forkeh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
California
Check out the underside of the device, the connector sits on a gasket, and it might just be pushed in too far to make a good connection. If the connector looks as though it's sitting farther down inside the clearo, than the threading, pull it out a bit. You can use your finger nails or tweezers, or whatever, just do it gently.

Warren D. Lockaby

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
South Carolina, USA
Something I haven't tried on a clearo yet, but I frequently use canned compressed air to blow out attys after a good alcohol wash. I'm very careful not to use a strong burst of air, just a light, controlled stream directed where it needs to go. Whatever kind of bath(s) I give 'em the final one is by pumping alcohol through 'em so it blows dry rather quickly.

(Another trick for this is to hold them together with a rubber band or something, put 'em in the toe of a tube sock & spin 'em round & round to sling the moisture out like that. I only do this though when I need some exercise, or when I'm outta canned air... usually the latter.) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread