Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I havent been DIYing for long but I see more and more "top shelf" or "boutique" e liquids with different oils in them. Is there something I dont understand about the type of oils or is that just an old DIY "superstition" ?

You can put just about Anything into a DIY e-Liquid if you want. And Currently, so can Retailers.

I don't consider vaping "Oil Based Flavored" e-Liquids to be all that Healthy, so I don't. But some don't see it the way I do and think there is Nothing Wrong with using Oil Based Flavorings.

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I would like to find out a little more about this too. I read that they will damage coils and blah blah blah, but what about those of us that use RBA's?

I couldn't give a Rat's .... about Damaging a Coil. Damaging Lung Tissue is what I think about.

gimmieshelter31

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Baltimore,MD
There seems to be a difference of opinion on this. It seems some essential oils are ok. I use peppermint oil and orange oil. Personally, I use an equal amount of grain alcohol to help the oil diffuse into the base.
It is definitely unhealthy to vape flavorings that are in a vegetable oil carrier like some flavorings used in some baking products. DO NOT vape any of those.
I still believe, after vaping for 2+ years, that the long term effect on the lungs of inhaling all of the flavorings that are intended for food is unknown. We are the guinea pigs, so to speak.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
There seems to be a difference of opinion on this. It seems some essential oils are ok. I use peppermint oil and orange oil. Personally, I use an equal amount of grain alcohol to help the oil diffuse into the base.
It is definitely unhealthy to vape flavorings that are in a vegetable oil carrier like some flavorings used in some baking products. DO NOT vape any of those.
I still believe, after vaping for 2+ years, that the long term effect on the lungs of inhaling all of the flavorings that are intended for food is unknown. We are the guinea pigs, so to speak.

Do you mix the Flavor/alcohol together before adding into the Base?

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
i have read (in this sub-forum) that vaping oils is not okay.
i have also read in this sub-forum that dissolving the oil-containing flavoring in PGA helps. perhaps even eliminates the risk.
water-soluable is the keyword, as far as i can tell. supposedly if the flavoring is water soluable, no oil is present (or perhaps the oil has been dissolved).

the notion of putting lemon juice in your mix seems to be widely popular. lemon juice has oil in it. every bottle of lemon juice ive seen has oil/lemon oil listed in the ingredients. im even inclined to beleive that youd get some lemon oil in freshly squeezed lemon juice. But, lemon juice is added at fractions of a percent in your total mix. in my mind, this is the reason why vaping oil is "ok" in many DIYers minds. personally, im still too much of a DIY noob to know for sure. ive been making mixes since i started vaping, but ive never delved too deeply into it. not deep enough to have used lemon-oil containing ingredients (knowingly). but lately my experience is growing. i read most of the "Vinegar?" thread, and from what ive gathered, sour drops and lemon juice both accomplish the same effect: smoothining/blending/making flavors pop. fruit falvors, that is. Vinegar would be used for tobacco and bakery mixes, to the same effect.

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Hey everyone, I have addressed this issue before, but I guess I will again.
I have been vaping for almost 4 years now and DIY for most of that, I have used essential oils and researched if oils are safe. After all they use them in aromatherapy shops like this one:
Essential Oils : VapeNow, Herbal Vaporizer, Digital & Portable Vaporizers - Reviews & Shop @ VapeNow.com
I have always maintained that at low % they do no harm to the coil and if the aromatherapy people are using them then they should be safe in ecigs. I agree with gimmeshelter31, you should only use essential oils and NOT vegetable carry oils, and I use everclear to help diffuse the oil also so it will mix with the PG. Funny thing is people keep going back to if it says a flavor is insoluble in water do not use it. Insoluble in water it does not mean you cant use it in PG as PG is NOT water based. It is a diol or double alcohol, the key is propolene glyc(ol) The last two letters shows it is not water based. It is a hygroscopic liquid which means it can attract and hold water molecules. I have always advised people that if they want to use oils in their juice to 1, use only essential oils. 2, do not exceed 3% oils flavor in the mix.
Well I hope that helps.
Dan

Last edited:

TheSystemHasFailed

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2013
Valhalla
I don't see why you'd be confused? Inhaling anything but pure air is not healthy. What we do is not safe. Inhaling flavorings is the least studied aspect of vaping and without proof there can be no healthy conclusion.

What we did was much worse.
You can't see why I'd be confused. Ughhh, I'm not confused on the simple "1+1=2" of him saying he doesn't think it's healthy, I get that. Christ.

If he doesn't vape e-liquid, what does he do and why is he here?
I just want to know what he resorts to now.

Atari

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Charleston, WV
Hey everyone, I have addressed this issue before, but I guess I will again.
I have been vaping for almost 4 years now and DIY for most of that, I have used essential oils and researched if oils are safe. After all they use them in aromatherapy shops like this one:
Essential Oils : VapeNow, Herbal Vaporizer, Digital & Portable Vaporizers - Reviews & Shop @ VapeNow.com
I have always maintained that at low % they do no harm to the coil and if the aromatherapy people are using them then they should be safe in ecigs. I agree with gimmeshelter31, you should only use essential oils and NOT vegetable carry oils, and I use everclear to help diffuse the oil also so it will mix with the PG. Funny thing is people keep going back to if it says a flavor is insoluble in water do not use it. Insoluble in water it does not mean you cant use it in PG as PG is NOT water based. It is a diol or double alcohol, the key is propolene glyc(ol) The last two letters shows it is not water based. It is a hygroscopic liquid which means it can attract and hold water molecules. I have always advised people that if they want to use oils in their juice to 1, use only essential oils. 2, do not exceed 3% oils flavor in the mix.
Well I hope that helps.
Dan

Thank you. If this was yahoo answers this would be voted best answer lol. Mind if I drop you a pm with any more questions?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
You can't see why I'd be confused. Ughhh, I'm not confused on the simple "1+1=2" of him saying he doesn't think it's healthy, I get that. Christ.

If he doesn't vape e-liquid, what does he do and why is he here?
I just want to know what he resorts to now.

i agree to an extent; in that it confused me too. maybe he just vapes PG. or VG. without flavoring or nicotine. he wouldnt be the first. lots of folks vape tintures of tobacco/tea leaf-steeped PG/VG, so thats a possibility as well.

edit: nevermind, lol! but seriously, people do do that. ^

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I don't see why you'd be confused? Inhaling anything but pure air is not healthy. What we do is not safe. Inhaling flavorings is the least studied aspect of vaping and without proof there can be no healthy conclusion.

What we did was much worse.

I'm glad you mentioned this. Even if I promoted it with a Type-O.

But I agree with you. I see Inhaling e-Liquids as a Much "Safer" thing to do that to Smoke Cigarettes. But I am under No Illusion that Vaping is Probably Not without Its Own Risks and or Hazards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread