Not open for further replies.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    BTW - What does "Research" mean?

You have to hover over the categories to know what they mean. In short...

Avoid means there is evidence they are dangerous.
    Caution means there is some evidence of danger.
    Research means it's currently being researched because danger is suspected but not yet able to be listed as one of the above due to lack of information/"evidence".

It appears that the database only contains flavors that they suspect, believe or know are dangerous, not any "safe" flavors.

The site does seem strange at first until you realize that the search form isn't a search form as much as it is a big filter. If that makes sense.

BTW - What does "Research" mean?

And for that matter, what are the Recommendations Base On?

Welcome to the Safety Compendium.
    This site provides a resource for DIY e-liquid mixers looking for flavor safety information.
    In late 2019 /u/TeslaDelMar started working on a piece of software that scans safety data sheets for known harmful ingredients. A Google Sheet was created to contain the findings.

Shortly after, /u/Baade89 began sending emails to flavor vendors and manufacturers in an effort to augment the machine-sourced data.

The current dataset contains over 3,000 data sheets sourced from 17 vendors, as well as data from toxicoligsts at TRUSTiCERT SRL. We scan the data sheets and query vendors for the presence of 32 different compounds.
    Source

Last edited:
    • Informative
    Reactions: Superuser187

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    It's a Strange List.

This list just gets Stranger and Stranger.
    It Clearly shows Diacetyl as an Avoid. OK... I can see where that comes from :pop:.

But it has Acetyl Propionyl as Research. When Many believe that Acetyl Propionyl is actually a Worst Actor than Diacetyl when it come to vaping.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    This list just gets Stranger and Stranger.
    It Clearly shows Diacetyl as an Avoid. OK... I can see where that comes from :pop:.

But it has Acetyl Propionyl as Research. When Many believe that Acetyl Propionyl is actually a Worst Actor than Diacetyl when it come to Vaping.

Yeah, I don't know. I still intend on vaping my "avoid" juice. :D I tried unflavored and can't really get into it. In fact, it makes me gag. Maybe sometime in the future, though. But unflavored seems to be the best way to go. Easiest, too.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    You have to hover over the categories to know what they mean. In short...

Avoid means there is evidence they are dangerous.
    Caution means there is some evidence of danger.
    Research means it's currently being researched because danger is suspected but not yet able to be listed as one of the above due to lack of information/"evidence".

It appears that the database only contains flavors that they suspect, believe or know are dangerous, not any "safe" flavors.

The site does seem strange at first until you realize that the search form isn't a search form as much as it is a big filter. If that makes sense.

Welcome to the Safety Compendium.
    This site provides a resource for DIY e-liquid mixers looking for flavor safety information.
    In late 2019 /u/TeslaDelMar started working on a piece of software that scans safety data sheets for known harmful ingredients. A Google Sheet was created to contain the findings.

Shortly after, /u/Baade89 began sending emails to flavor vendors and manufacturers in an effort to augment the machine-sourced data.

The current dataset contains over 3,000 data sheets sourced from 17 vendors, as well as data from toxicoligsts at TRUSTiCERT SRL. We scan the data sheets and query vendors for the presence of 32 different compounds.
    Source

Yeah... I kinda Gleaned all that from the Website. But it Really Doesn't go into much detail about Anything.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Yeah, I don't know. I still intend on vaping my "avoid" juice. :D I tried unflavored and can't really get into it. In fact, it makes me gag. Maybe sometime in the future, though. But unflavored seems to be the best way to go. Easiest, too.

Try doing this the next time your Rewick your RDA or RTA, or install a New Coil-Head.

Prime the Wick with Regular Flavored e-Liquid. But fill your Tank or Squonk Bottle with Unflavored.

Reactions: borno

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    Try doing this the next time your Rewick your RDA or RTA, or install a New Coil-Head.

Prime the Wick with Regular Flavored e-Liquid. But fill your Tank or Squonk Bottle with Unflavored.

Tried that and btw couldnt believe it takes so long for the flavour to be gone

• Winner
    Reactions: zoiDman

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I find the database interesting, but I don't put much faith in it . Maybe that's because I just want to vape what I want to vape lol. I dunno. But as I have said before on ECF, I never really got into vaping because I thought it was healthy or to save my life. I'm a smoker at heart and vaping just allows me to do it without the smell or the nasty taste or smokers cough/laugh.

:vapor:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Yeah but even tho some flavourings are not labeled "avoid"or "caution" they say research
    Do they mean we should do more research before we use them????or that there is research need to be done? Hahahah :p

Anyway I am not very cautious about vaping flavourings but I wouldn't like to see a juice mention oil even tho it may be harmless...I would still vape it tho and just don't buy it again :p

Looking at the bigger picture tho since the op seems very concerned about juices and want to keep it as "healthy" as possible I would suggest he start making his own juices cause in my opinion even if some flavourings are safe to use maybe they are not soooo safe if u vape them in big quantities like for example the 20% OR SOMETIMES 40% PERCENT FLAVOURINGS USED IN SOME E JUICES :p

I make my own juices and I use max 5% flavourings with very few exceptions I may use bit more and I get strong flavour while I vape so the point is that u get used to it and u dont no need much flavourings to get good flavourfull vape

Manufacturers of juices need to pump up the flavourings cause the customer will complain "dammm this juice is weak"

DIY also saves a Boat Load of Money for Most People.

If they live someplace where DIY Nicotine Base is available that is.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Tried that and btw couldnt believe it takes so long for the flavour to be gone

You also Exponentially lower the amount of Flavorings/Sweeteners you are going to be putting into your Lungs when you do that.

in dose tantum facit venenum

And a 30ml Bottle of Flavored e-Liquid is going to Last a Very Long Time too.

dc99

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 17, 2014
    earth
    The list isnt there to tell you what to vape or not to vape. Its simply there to tell you whats in the flavoring. Its up to you to research what the ingredient does to you and if its worth the risk.
    We know most oils are bad for vaping but how much is to much is up to you. For instance FW blood orange contains orange oil but is still considered a great blood orange and even I vape it. TFA key lime is on the list but the amount is so minuscule I assume the risk because I like it.
    Its just giving you the ingredients, its up to you to make up your mind whether you want to take the risk or not.

• Agree
    Reactions: Letitia

borno

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 31, 2019
    land of pleasant living

Im'a gonna bei'n tryin' dat tomorrow, i already cut most of the store bought flavors as I find them too strong on an rda. I'm all for saving some dough. :thumbs: Can always drip a couple drips in there for a flavor boost.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Im'a gonna bei'n tryin' dat tomorrow, i already cut most of the store bought flavors as I find them too strong on an rda. I'm all for saving some dough. :thumbs: Can always drip a couple drips in there for a flavor boost.

I think it will Really Surprise you how much Flavor you will get from so little Flavored e-Liquid.

Reactions: borno

newyork13

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 9, 2013
    western Massachusetts
    Many "food" flavorings can be used for vaping BUT many can't (better to stick to known vape flavor brands)
    I'm not as obsessive as others... maybe a little light oil in moderation but most of us just avoid that. The truth is, you stir fry or BBQ you are getting some oil in the fumes/smoke so think about that. The problem is... unless you do lots of home work, you may be vaping some funky stuff (even sugars are bad for vaping... mostly clog your coils/wicks but also not good to inhale) Should I bring up campfires? Toasting marshmallows? Just as bad as smoking so don't think any small amount of oil will kill you (keep it in perspective) but better to avoid all that stuff anyway (even the BBQ)
    Sure, I agree. But, if there's bad stuff produced when I stir fry or roast marshmallows, that's a relatively short exposure, versus vaping for hours on a similar chemical.

• Winner
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread