Not open for further replies.

virm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2019
Greetings

Serpent Elevate - recommended: 3-3.5mm ID
-Ni80 on the way as well.

Would like to order Kanthal too, but not for high wattages. I vape max. 70w and 50w has been the preference.

I was told the simpler the better. Have looked through many and lost a few The simpler stuff from a decent looking package with specifications that i've lost track.

I should note that I read up and received much of the standard advice. I am still not sure what the build/gauge is for a reasonable ramp up, medium warmth, medium wattage.

The gauges here confuse me. THere's more coils in there than I wanted now, but it's among the few packages of simple wraps with clear specifications.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/3033/10044157/9626936

https://www.fasttech.com/products/3033/10044157/9626934

Not that simple, but i'm guessing the these specific builds actually help ramp-up and get warm at a more reasonable wattage:
decent reviews but i don't know the internal diameter

https://www.fasttech.com/products/3...hentic-xfkm-kanthal-a1-tri-core-fused-clapton

https://www.fasttech.com/products/3033/10050888/9645458-authentic-xfkm-kanthal-a1-alien-clapton-pre

https://www.fasttech.com/products/3033/10050888/9662728
.................. i guess it's pointless to keep listing them from the same drop down menu, simple point is, i'm not in addition to not knowing the ID, i am not sure which build/gauge to choose

any other suggestions are welcome.

I would like to order before they close for their January holiday

May flavour flood your lungs with filmy vapour
So long as no flapour flip its flaps upon your neighbour
Unless their into that

in which case eeewk!

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    I like 26 and 24 gauge SS round wire for quick ramp up/cool down. 7 wrap on 3mm (some attys 2.5mm)
    Can't help with the pre-mades...I just roll my own.

You have most of January before the CN New Year starts:
    "How long is the Chinese New Year 2020?
    Chinese New Year 2020: Dates & Calendar
    The Chinese New Year of 2020 falls on January 25th (Saturday), and the festival will last to February 8th, about 15 days in total. 2020 is a Year of the Rat according to Chinese zodiac."

Don29palms

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    Greetings

Serpent Elevate - recommended: 3-3.5mm ID
    -Ni80 on the way as well.

Would like to order Kanthal too, but not for high wattages. I vape max. 70w and 50w has been the preference.

I was told the simpler the better. Have looked through many and lost a few The simpler stuff from a decent looking package with specifications that i've lost track.

I should note that I read up and received much of the standard advice. I am still not sure what the build/gauge is for a reasonable ramp up, medium warmth, medium wattage.

The gauges here confuse me. THere's more coils in there than I wanted now, but it's among the few packages of simple wraps with clear specifications.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/3033/10044157/9626936

https://www.fasttech.com/products/3033/10044157/9626934

Not that simple, but i'm guessing the these specific builds actually help ramp-up and get warm at a more reasonable wattage:
    decent reviews but i don't know the internal diameter

https://www.fasttech.com/products/3...hentic-xfkm-kanthal-a1-tri-core-fused-clapton

https://www.fasttech.com/products/3033/10050888/9645458-authentic-xfkm-kanthal-a1-alien-clapton-pre

https://www.fasttech.com/products/3033/10050888/9662728
    .................. i guess it's pointless to keep listing them from the same drop down menu, simple point is, i'm not in addition to not knowing the ID, i am not sure which build/gauge to choose

any other suggestions are welcome.

I would like to order before they close for their January holiday

May flavour flood your lungs with filmy vapour
    So long as no flapour flip its flaps upon your neighbour
    Unless their into that

in which case eeewk!
    Be careful when buying premade. Know what you're getting. Those coils they are calling aliens are not aliens. These companies are good for selling something that is not what they are calling it.

virm

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 27, 2019
    thanks for the responses

I like 26 and 24 gauge SS round wire for quick ramp up/cool down. 7 wrap on 3mm (some attys 2.5mm)
    Can't help with the pre-mades...I just roll my own.

You have most of January before the CN New Year starts:
    "How long is the Chinese New Year 2020?
    Chinese New Year 2020: Dates & Calendar
    The Chinese New Year of 2020 falls on January 25th (Saturday), and the festival will last to February 8th, about 15 days in total. 2020 is a Year of the Rat according to Chinese zodiac."

gotta be 3+. wouldn;t mind getting a pack of SS and a pack of kanthal. question is which. unsure about brand and about gauge/build

Be careful when buying premade. Know what you're getting. Those coils they are calling aliens are not aliens. These companies are good for selling something that is not what they are calling it.

caught that in a couple of reviews. hence my request for recommendations.

if i don't get advice specific for a brand, i'll just get something with good reviews. but i still need to know what gauge/build.

thankful for everyone's wisdom, i know it's subjective and etc etc etc... i'm not asking what is nice or great. just the simple obvious objective facts. like a juggernaut is big, complex, needs high power, slow to ramp. that's objective.

from previous advice i've narrowed to just simple round, multicores, fused or the other clapton and maybe alien. but i assume this is all gauge dependent.

higher gauge means lower resistance but slower ramp up and more power.
    lower gauge higher resistance but less power.
    but if you reach 0.5ohm and above, aren't you entering MTL territory?
    see where a rook' gets stuck?

Don29palms

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    The very first thing I would recommend is not buy any of the garbage coils being sold at Fasttech. Advanced Vape Supply is a reputable supplier with quality products. As far as choice of coils will depend on your style of vaping. I personally only use my custom designed coils anymore. I only use ni80. If I were to buy premade coils these are what I would use 10 Pack Triple Core Fused Clapton Coils N80 (28gx3/36g)
    These are a good all around coil. Good ramp up and cool down, good flavor a really good clouds. They'll work great in an RDA and RTA. They will get hot in an RTA if you chain vape though. They will be good at your wattage of 50-70 watts.

virm

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 27, 2019
    The very first thing I would recommend is not buy any of the garbage coils being sold at Fasttech. Advanced Vape Supply is a reputable supplier with quality products. As far as choice of coils will depend on your style of vaping. I personally only use my custom designed coils anymore. I only use ni80. If I were to buy premade coils these are what I would use 10 Pack Triple Core Fused Clapton Coils N80 (28gx3/36g)
    These are a good all around coil. Good ramp up and cool down, good flavor a really good clouds. They'll work great in an RDA and RTA. They will get hot in an RTA if you chain vape though. They will be good at your wattage of 50-70 watts.

i've ordered two packs of ni80... want to get kanthal too.

i'm in Europe, hence wasn;t looikng at AVS, having done so, also found they offer no kanthal

btw, am i right in finding no reference to the inner diameter in this? my understanding is that all this refers to the wire(s) diameter, not the inside of the coil, right?
    26*2/30 AWG / 0.4mm*2/0.25mm dia. / 0.3ohm

Don29palms

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    i've ordered two packs of ni80... want to get kanthal too.

i'm in Europe, hence wasn;t looikng at AVS, having done so, also found they offer no kanthal

btw, am i right in finding no reference to the inner diameter in this? my understanding is that all this refers to the wire diameter, not the inside of the coil, right?
    26*2/30 AWG / 0.4mm*2/0.25mm dia. / 0.3ohm
    That is correct. It doesn't say inner diameter. Most of the time the inner diameter will be in the description. Anymore the standard ID is 3mm.

• Agree
    Reactions: TrollDragon

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2014
    NS, Canada
    Don't get hung up on slotting in a specific resistance range to define DTL or MTL vaping...

I've used 1.8Ω Kanthal coils in a Kayfun as well as 0.07Ω NiFe70 coils, both were MTL builds. Generally MTL builds have a higher resistance due to the thinner gauge wire used, but it all depends on the wire resistance.

On the other side of the coin, there are many 4S and 5S PWM mod users who run 1.4Ω builds on a series deck for full on DTL cloud production. They perform just as well as a 0.2Ω build on a 2S mod but are much easier on the battery pack.

I'd pick some spools of 26, 24 and 22ga Kanthal, Nichrome 80 and SS316L to wrap your own simple coils with until you find out what you want. You can use that wire to build single strand, twisted or parallel much cheaper in the long run than buying premade "fancy" coils.

Also it all comes down to what atty you will be using, you build for the chamber size and airflow of that atty. Triple or quad core fused claptons might not be a good choice if the atty can't supply juice fast enough to the wicks, high mass coils retain a lot of heat so if the airflow isn't up to par you'll end up with a very hot atty that usually transfers to the top cap and drip tip.

Many factors... Start simple, get it perfected and then move on to more complex builds IMHO.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    thanks for the responses

gotta be 3+. wouldn;t mind getting a pack of SS and a pack of kanthal. question is which. unsure about brand and about gauge/build

caught that in a couple of reviews. hence my request for recommendations.

if i don't get advice specific for a brand, i'll just get something with good reviews. but i still need to know what gauge/build.

thankful for everyone's wisdom, i know it's subjective and etc etc etc... i'm not asking what is nice or great. just the simple obvious objective facts. like a juggernaut is big, complex, needs high power, slow to ramp. that's objective.

from previous advice i've narrowed to just simple round, multicores, fused or the other clapton and maybe alien. but i assume this is all gauge dependent.

higher gauge means lower resistance but slower ramp up and more power.
    lower gauge higher resistance but less power.
    see where a rook' gets stuck?
    I think you are over thinking this. First the invisible line between mtl and sub ohm is usually 1.0 ohms. The higher the number of the gauge the thinner the wire the faster it heats up. Have you tried just a slow one step at a time experiment? Meaning an average guage between 24-28 to see which you like best? It may take a little time but at least you will have some reference as to what you like. I buy premade coils from fasttech and never had problems. I buy MKWS and always gotten quality material from them.
    Hth
    :)

Reactions: virm

Don29palms

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    I think you are over thinking this. First the invisible line between mtl and sub ohm is usually 1.0 ohms. The higher the number of the gauge the thinner the wire the faster it heats up. Have you tried just a slow one step at a time experiment? Meaning an average guage between 24-28 to see which you like best? It may take a little time but at least you will have some reference as to what you like. I buy premade coils from fasttech and never had problems. I buy MKWS and always gotten quality material from them.
    Hth
    Saying you get quality coils from MKWS is the same as saying you get quality mods and attys from Smok.

virm

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 27, 2019
    Hth

wait wait wait wait stay!
    what's the inner diameter?????

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    Saying you get quality coils from MKWS is the same as saying you get quality mods and attys from Smok.
    Don pls do not start. You have you opinion and i have mine but you dont see me commenting on how wrong i may think it is. Each of us have our own likes and dislikes so a little respect is all that is needed. If what i say does not fit in your way of doing things i really don't need to know it. Plus it just fills the thread with useless bs.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2014
    NS, Canada
    We sell a ton of these Max Mesh coils @ $8 per coil, 3 days go by and they are back for another coil. :lol:
    WIN_20191229_14_07_33_Pro.jpg

Purveying junk can be very lucrative. :toast:

• Agree
    Reactions: puffon

virm

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 27, 2019
    oh no... and my corpse their chessboard!
    me me me _ give me the attention_

i thought i was the only one that doesn't read the question all the way before i answer:

1. must be 3mm+ ID for the atty

3. don't want to wrap my own now

7. i know that FT is less quality, asking what's better among what they offer OR

2. where else i can get them that ship internationally

28. want kanthal

105. maybe SS in addition

34. i have ordered ni80

-51. i know i should start simple this is me starting simple i am starting simple

i love this. haven't laughed out loud in a couple of weeks

• Love
    Reactions: Zazie

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread