Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
why FYI? that's exactly what i wanted to know_ if 4mm is fine them definitely 3.5, because i knw 3works.

• )

troll's site has the specs clear, as do some on FT but not this for example:
https://www.fasttech.com/products/3033/10015931/5925600

on others, though i've read them, i wasn't sure which/if any of the numbers on title were ID_ you've answered that too. so thanks again
Yeah that listing list 6. Diffetent coils for a total of 48 individual one. To be fair...down in details they at lease list the ohms of reach
Details:

• 6*Ribbon twist pre-coiled wire (0.3ohm)
  • 6*Mix twisted pre-coiled wire (0.45ohm)
  • 6*Quad pre-coiled wire (0.35ohm)
  • 6*Hive pre-coiled wire (0.5ohm)
  • 6*tank track pre-coiled wire (0.45ohm)
  • 6*Fused clapton pre-coiled wire (0.3ohm)
  • 6*Tiger pre-coiled wire (0.45ohm)
  • 6*Clapton pre-coiled wire (0.8ohm

virm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2019
You're right on that one. Very little info is listed. Stay away from that stuff.
i actually even his/her example:
26 AWG / 0.4mm dia. / 0.6ohm / 100pcs/pack
that could well be the wire dia.

yes looks like i'm getting the expensive fancy stuff from @TrollDragon

loads of good reviews on these FT stuff though_ and it's not like they're undiscerning as there's negative reviews on some of them too in addition to noting that e.g. this isnt alien, the amkers don't seem to know exactly what that means or it's a good try at alien but not really or even i recall one that said it's not real alien coz the inside is one solid wire, but it works well..

virm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2019
0.4 mm is NOT the ID of the coil! Visualize that... less than half a mm. It's the diameter of the wire itself.

that's what i figured, but got slapped with 'just read'_ so figured i'm a rookie, screw the epigraphy training_ maybe the '0.' was just_ i don't short hand or vapour/manufacturer lingo or simple keyboard equivalent of the diameter symbol, the phi thingy

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I was also offended (indirectly) by the "just read" comment. How's this for a response... "just learn math"?
Sry it was not meant to offend. Apologies. Went back to reread ft and you are correct. If you look further down the page in the details it does usually list them.
I.e.
PACKAGE CONTENTS 10*Pre-Coiled Wires
Dimensionsus | metric
DEPTH 4.7 mm
HEIGHT 19.8 mm
WIDTH 5.4 mm
PRODUCT WEIGHT
The best i can tell is The depth is the id and the width is from left to right on how big the coil itself is. Sry 4 the confusion.

virm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2019
Sry it was not meant to offend. Apologies. Went back to reread ft and you are correct. If you look further down the page in the details it does usually list them.
I.e.
PACKAGE CONTENTS 10*Pre-Coiled Wires
Dimensionsus | metric
DEPTH 4.7 mm
HEIGHT 19.8 mm
WIDTH 5.4 mm
PRODUCT WEIGHT
The best i can tell is The depth is the id and the width is from left to right on how big the coil itself is. Sry 4 the confusion.

it's fine_ i'm sure the phrsaing didn't carry the tone.. plus you were trying to help.

the width i'm guessing the vertical length, we could ostensibly have a tentative ID from it if we substract the thickness of the wire(s together), but i doubt this'll be exact esp in multiple wire builds...

virm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2019
For future reference, especially for those looking to find simple single prebuilt Kanthal coils ( i guess it's difficult to find because it's so easy to make one's own), here's an update and my choices:

fancy-ish expensivish: per FT support 'about 3.5mm'
https://www.fasttech.com/p/6051000

Simple single Kanthal A1 100-200pcs at either 22, 24 or 26 gauge at 3mm (drop down menu for options)
https://www.fasttech.com/p/9626936

at not so cheap price, simple single KA1 22-28 in 10pc-pack are per support 3.5 (i asked about the 22s so not exactly sure they're all the same, but i guess prbbly) (drop down meny for options)
https://www.fasttech.com/products/7335801

both simple single KA1 have the same gauge/resistance description and have good reviews. I ordred 22gauge to try out, worried it would have too long a ramp up/ require a lot of power. The 24gauge is .5ohm, 26 0.9ohm, 28 1.2ohm. I expect the 24 will be more reasonable, but wanted to try the 22 at its .35ohm.

still waiting to hear on this spec pack, it's awfully cheap, 2 good reviews, thoguh one seems semi sponsored
https://www.fasttech.com/p/9639807

i ordered the thunderheads to try out the gauge, and if i like it i might go for the big pack by vapefly, both seem clean and have good reviews

also ended up ordering the Kanthal-stainless steel complex coil spec pack (main KA1, thinner wrap SS); Violence by Demon Killer, not expensive, but not dirt cheap either, with good enough reviews, so figured i'd try the builds before i order one or two specs from the fancy German place.

FYI there is expensive fancy looking stuff on FT, even more expensive than the german sometimes, some are labelled handmade.

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
fancy-ish expensivish: per FT support 'about 3.5mm'
https://www.fasttech.com/p/6051000

3x 24awg cores with a 32awg wrap???? You’d need a small thermal nuclear power plant to heat those suckers.

To put a perspective on this. I have in front of me an 8 wrap, 3mm ID 24awg Kanthal coil in a Peacemaker RTA. According to Steam Engine, mass is approx. 150mg. I use this quite happily at 40 watts which provides an ample amount of vapor with good flavour. Modeling the above frankencoil within Steam yields a mass of approx. 775mg - more than 5 times the mass of my simple 24awg 8 wrap coil of the same metal. The physics dictates in order to heat that monster coil to the same temperature within the same duration you would require 5 times the power. And because of its mass, it will retain that heat for much longer, all while transferring that heat to its surroundings.

Edit: My error – 820mg of mass for that coil. I modeled a 3mm coil, not a 3.5mm coil.

• Agree
Reactions: AngeNZ

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    higher gauge means lower resistance but slower ramp up and more power.
    lower gauge higher resistance but less power.
    but if you reach 0.5ohm and above, aren't you entering MTL territory?
    see where a rook' gets stuck?

With regard to single round wire:

higher gauge = faster ramp up, and higher resistance (for the same amount of wraps) less power needed
    Example: Kanthal 28ga, 2.5mm id coil. 5 wraps. Gives a 1ohm coil.
    Heat capacity: 14.77 mJ/K
    A cool vape at 11 watts

lower gauge = slower ramp up and lower resistance (for the same amount of wraps) more power needed
    Example: Kanthal 24ga, 2.5mm id coil. 5 wraps. Gives a 0.4ohm coil.
    Heat capacity: 37.76 mJ/K
    A cool vape at 25 watts

I never worry about the resistance with regards to MTL and DL. The main difference between the two styles is the wattage used. And it's this which influences what wire you want to use.

For MTL: generally it is below 25 watts, smaller id coils and you want higher gauge wire - fast ramp up/cool down. 28ga or 26ga achieves that.

For DL: generally it is above 25 watts, with larger id coils and you want lower gauge wire. 26ga or 24ga.

Last edited:
    Reactions: puffon

wheelie

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 12, 2014
    Ont. Canada
    www.independentont.com
    I bought allot of Fasttech coils few years back. Four or five dry burns cleaning the coil and they would pop and have to install new one. Yet their spools of clapton wire (bought about 10 different 100 foot rolls) I still use today. Used to get 100 foot rolls of the fancy wire for like $12. I got six months with only changing cotton and cleaning the coil. Premades I would blow the coil in a week and a half. I have my doubts they improved over the two years since I bought mine. Plus they come with such small mm holes. All mine I build are 3.5 to 4.5 mm for wicks to go through. CHEERS!

Reactions: Don29palms

Don29palms

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    I bought allot of Fasttech coils few years back. Four or five dry burns cleaning the coil and they would pop and have to install new one. Yet their spools of clapton wire (bought about 10 different 100 foot rolls) I still use today. Used to get 100 foot rolls of the fancy wire for like $12. I got six months with only changing cotton and cleaning the coil. Premades I would blow the coil in a week and a half. I have my doubts they improved over the two years since I bought mine. Plus they come with such small mm holes. All mine I build are 3.5 to 4.5 mm for wicks to go through. CHEERS!
    All my regular coils are 3mm ID and my series coils are 4mm ID.

virm

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 27, 2019
    3x 24awg cores with a 32awg wrap???? You’d need a small thermal nuclear power plant to heat those suckers.

To put a perspective on this. I have in front of me an 8 wrap, 3mm ID 24awg Kanthal coil in a Peacemaker RTA. According to Steam Engine, mass is approx. 150mg. I use this quite happily at 40 watts which provides an ample amount of vapor with good flavour. Modeling the above frankencoil within Steam yields a mass of approx. 775mg - more than 5 times the mass of my simple 24awg 8 wrap coil of the same metal. The physics dictates in order to heat that monster coil to the same temperature within the same duration you would require 5 times the power. And because of its mass, it will retain that heat for much longer, all while transferring that heat to its surroundings.

Edit: My error – 820mg of mass for that coil. I modeled a 3mm coil, not a 3.5mm coil.

you think this was vprsso trying their hand at prebuilts from back when? looks like old stock
    luckily i didnt order this one_

With regard to single round wire:

higher gauge = faster ramp up, and higher resistance (for the same amount of wraps) less power needed
    Example: Kanthal 28ga, 2.5mm id coil. 5 wraps. Gives a 1ohm coil.
    Heat capacity: 14.77 mJ/K
    A cool vape at 11 watts

lower gauge = slower ramp up and lower resistance (for the same amount of wraps) more power needed
    Example: Kanthal 24ga, 2.5mm id coil. 5 wraps. Gives a 0.4ohm coil.
    Heat capacity: 37.76 mJ/K
    A cool vape at 25 watts

I never worry about the resistance with regards to MTL and DL. The main difference between the two styles is the wattage used. And it's this which influences what wire you want to use.

For MTL: generally it is below 25 watts, smaller id coils and you want higher gauge wire - fast ramp up/cool down. 28ga or 26ga achieves that.

For DL: generally it is above 25 watts, with larger id coils and you want lower gauge wire. 26ga or 24ga.

Take Notes GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

thank you. great.
    i've already been told resistance shouldn't be my criterion here (was it you?) , but it was still not computing well. much better.

though if i understand right, there's still a correlation:

if a coil reaches vapable heat with low power then it's MTL.
    but a coil reaches such heat with low power when it has high resistance.
    therefore a high resistance coil is MTL

or doth this not followlow?

the resistance sort of does summarize the material, size, wraps, etc. no?
    i mean_ the 26ga/.9ohm and 28ga/1.2ohm are still going to be MTL right? or are you saying there's no reason why one can't DL them (i.e. run >25w thru them)?

i sort of had understood ignore the resistance and order and that i should be ordering the single 24ga.. but the .35ohm of the 22ga was just looking at me... thought i'd get the experiment out of the way__ mistake? i mean, that's going to take high power and be slow to heat isn't it?

the calculator makes more sense now too. at least how the input of wraps and ID factors are more easily integrated and how important they are.

quick question on wicking. ive order these 3mm wotofo cottons (among other things). can i put those thru a 3.5 ID coil in the elevate, or is that too small? what does one use the 6mm dia. cotton for?

ah well, given that i'm just moving from stocks this is still muy cost eefecticient_ even if i throw out a single-use coil a week

the search was double long because of the ID issue_ reviewers and users agree elevate is best 3+, lower might cause airflow/leaking issues, but many of the products did not specify the ID.

thanks all.

virm

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 27, 2019
    Check Amazon also. I did a Canada search and they have same coils for a little more. Some are Prime and you would avoid the two month delay. Could have them in two days. CHEERS!

two months?! never took that long for me, unless you mean because of the season.

i don't know, feel the only thing worse than buying/ordering chinese is going amazon. done it a few times a while back for other stuff, though_
    though they did seem to offer a few alternatives to the usual suspects, but then again, i haven't felt the same critical reviews by vapers there.

gladly i;m not in a rush for any of this since the tank itself is coming with a 10coil pack plus the two included in the tank box.

wheelie

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 12, 2014
    Ont. Canada
    www.independentont.com
    Last few things I got from Fasttech seems to sit across the pond for two-three weeks before they even ship it. I even paid for epacket which used to be here in 7 to 14 days. Going through it now waiting on ten stock round Kanger coils. I only have square ones which are much harder to rebuild than the round ones. CHEERS!

virm

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 27, 2019
    Last few things I got from Fasttech seems to sit across the pond for two-three weeks before they even ship it. I even paid for epacket which used to be here in 7 to 14 days. Going through it now waiting on ten stock round Kanger coils. I only have square ones which are much harder to rebuild than the round ones. CHEERS!

maybe they no like canada_ it is slow to Germany (compared to cigabuy, for example, which usually takes 10 days_ but they're not free shipping), but so far i get everything within a month of ordering.

good luck with your next order

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    though if i understand right, there's still a correlation:

if a coil reaches vapable heat with low power then it's MTL.
    but a coil reaches such heat with low power when it has high resistance.
    therefore a high resistance coil is MTL

or doth this not followlow?

the resistance sort of does summarize the material, size, wraps, etc. no?
    i mean_ the 26ga/.9ohm and 28ga/1.2ohm are still going to be MTL right? or are you saying there's no reason why one can't DL them (i.e. run >25w thru them)?

i sort of had understood ignore the resistance and order and that i should be ordering the single 24ga.. but the .35ohm of the 22ga was just looking at me... thought i'd get the experiment out of the way__ mistake? i mean, that's going to take high power and be slow to heat isn't it?

the calculator makes more sense now too. at least how the input of wraps and ID factors are more easily integrated and how important they are.

quick question on wicking. ive order these 3mm wotofo cottons (among other things). can i put those thru a 3.5 ID coil in the elevate, or is that too small? what does one use the 6mm dia. cotton for?

28ga is generally only going to be used at lower wattages <30watts in a single wire coil, due to its thinness. Whether it is used MTL, or (restricted)DL is purely up to the tank used, and how the vaper inhales.

26ga is smack bang into the middle - it can be used at 20 watts or 60 watts. And the actual resistance doesn't make any difference.

A 0.9ohm kanthal 26ga coil, with a 3mm id, and 6 wraps will work just fine in a MTL tank at 20 watts or a DL tank at 50 watts. Switch to ss316l with the same coil and your resistance becomes 0.4ohms. It can still be used MTL or DL

Kanthal just has a high resistance, ni80 is lower, and ss316l is even lower. Plus you can use ss316l in TC ;)

• Useful
    Reactions: virm
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread