If you were a noob...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bliss12897

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
If you had it to do over again and were less than a month into vaping what would you buy for around $60 bucks? You would be looking for something that gave you great battery life for the day and a cartomizer (because you don't care about dripping) that you may have to top off later in the day due to heavy vaping. You would have cig styles to take out in public so you wouldn't really care so much about looks. Instead of wasting money, you would have just went with this product to begin with....what would you have bought or recommend?

kelleymcm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2010
oklahoma city
Just my opinion here ....

Electronic Cigarette - Starter Kits - Riva 510 the Riva/510 lite bundle ...is the absolute best price on 2 big batts & Chargers available (+you get 2 attys & carts ,in case you ever need them)....make sure you see 20% discount listed next to price , if not go to top of page & click US Flag for 20%off ...

and then I would go to gotvapes (join mailing list for sale info & 5%discount )& order some big ce2's ...cuz I dislike the polyfill in other popular cartomizers & I prefer to have bigger cartos that hold 3+ml& they are easy to clean & last a LONG time! and a cone for these also to cover threading, just looks better & a set of replacement tubes in case you break one ( this only adds like $5.29 & is well worth it ):blush:

Last edited:

madjack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2011
Central Louisiana
...first off, the Riva510 Lite bundle from Liberty Flights for 30bux is hard to beat...I have 4 of them for 3 of us in the house...the the Kgo(higher rated batt) from Hossier cig suply is pretty good as well and both have the E-power which has better batts yet and is a slightly larger version of the same form factor and is only a tiny bit more expensive...if there was no care about looks, I would go with a RoughStak(which I really want), mini or maxi from MadVapes...all of these can be had for under 75bux...once again, if looks don't matter a GLV(any size) from GreatLakesVaping would be really cool but your expenditure would go up another 25+bux.......
madjack:2cool:

Strigoi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2010
Martinez, CA
I wish I would have gone with a mod in the beginning. I wasted a lot of money messing around with carts and standard 510s that looked like a cigarette (things have changed a lot in the last year and a half). Getting something that looked like a cigarette never crossed my mind in the beginning either.

Two of my friends started off with standard 510 e-cigs and both started smoking again. I talked them into getting mods (one has a SB, the other my old Chuck) and neither of them are smoking now. The mod worked for them and me, so that's the way to go IMO. I also knew what I was doing at that point (to an extent) so I was able to help them out with stuff. They got to try my setup prior to dropping $150 for everything and I know that helped some too.

jp6608

Sep 3, 2011
MA
I'm pretty new to ECF and ecigs in general. I quit smoking on Sept 6th and I started vaping on Sept 6th.. weird coincidence huh! :)

I have a Bloog trifecta and the VV Foxy Box Mod.
If I had to do it all over again and had to choose either, I'd go with my Variable Volt Foxy Box Mod with Got Vape's fluxomizer ce2 cartos.

Variable voltage complete kit @ $56
Got Vape's fluxomizer ce2 cartos @ $11.95 (5 pack)

I know it would cost more then $60 but well worth the little extra $.

If I was in a very tight budget and had to stay below $60, I would get the foxy box mod 3.7v complete kit @ $37 and the fluxomizer ce2 cartos @ $11.95.

Personally, I've had a lot more success cleaning and re-using the fluxomizers then other cartos that I've used.

@Strigoi
I think noobs (like myself) need to go through the process of buying and trying a kit before moving into the mods. Switching to ecigs has (in my opinion) a very high learning curve. Even trying to find the right flavor from the right vendor at the right vg/pg/nic levels can be daunting, frustrating, time consuming and expensive!

I don't regret purchasing my first kit. It allowed me to quit analogs :) Glad you were able to help your friends stop smoking and get them back to vaping!

Big Screen D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2011
Georgia
I have a couple friends coming over Sunday to drink and watch football. I promised to set them up with e-cig orders so I'm going to set them up with what I'm using after much$ spent on testing.

So for $60 bucks:

2) Black eGo-T LCD 1100mah Battery - Smoke Anywhere For Penny's, LLC Store
2) eGo Dual Coil Cartomizer - Smoke Anywhere For Penny's, LLC Store
1) eGo USB Wire Charger - Smoke Anywhere For Penny's, LLC Store

Bare bones starter kit, and of course some juice. This set up looks nice, and the carto holds 100 drops of juice making it carefree for long periods.

And of course some juice.

Last edited:

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
I'd skip the cigarette sized stuff. The battery life just isn't there. The best (bloog max fusion, volt, etc.) will go maybe 3 hours and you won't get the best for $60. If you really require going through the day on one battery, really about the only thing that's going to do it is an 18650 battery. The 18650 epower is about the only thing in your price range for that. It will be a handful though. If you can tolerate 6 to 9 hours, the eGo/Riva isn't a bad choice. I prefer generic batteries though.

CarrieD

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2011
Michigan
I'd go with the Steel T-Rex 900 mAh starter kit from Liberty Flights - special for ECF members, $40.

Then I'd go to Crystal Clear Vaping and get a 15 pack of Resurrector LR cartos for around $22. They'll also throw in a couple of drip tips for you, very nice.

The T-Rex kit will come with attys, which are handy to have around for testing juices, but that's all I use them for. One battery lasts me all day long of fairly heavy vaping while working at my computer.

Sweet and easy.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Good question from a new person!!!

I would have gone with a good 5 volt model because it provides warmer, more consistent vapor and does it with regular resistence cartomizers so you don't have to be limited to LR (low resistence) atts/cartos which don't hold up as long. To get one in that price range, I would get one of Ken's 5 volt Box Mods which cost $37 but with batteries and charger run about $55.

If I decided to stick with a 3.7 volt model, it would be the E-Power because it will save money in the long run over the Ego/Riva look alikes.

Box Mod: Ken's Box Mods

Shred909

Sep 21, 2011
Erie, PA
www.facebook.com
I bought the Inferno Kit from Volcano (basic eGo kit really) but also bought small 510 batts. I could have saved money by leaving out the smaller batts. Basic black eGos are awesome to take out with you. Wish i never heard the words "blue foam" Wasted money there. ce2's didn't do it for me either......

I would have bought 2 ego 650mah and a couple packs of Boge 2.0 cartos. Cheap!

Phayah

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2009
US
Box mods! You can't beat the price and they perform just as well as any other. Sure, if you drop it on a hard surface you might knock off a chunk of plastic or break the on/off switch but it will still work.

My husband has had one for almost 2 years now. Mine stopped working not long ago. The threads on the atomizer connection got worn out. We got ours from Ken's Box Mods but foxyboxmods.com is cheaper. Ken's has a 60 day warranty and does repairs for $12 after the warranty expires. Foxy has a 30 day warranty.

The batteries for box mods are only about $4-5 each. You can get a 3.7v box mod for $20. If you want 5v or variable volt you can get one anywhere from $30-$50. They are worth every penny.

Hell, you could even make one or do any repairs yourself. You can get a soldering iron from amazon.com for about $10.

Another option is a Maxi Roughstack from Madvapes for $40. It requires different battery configurations for different voltages but you could plan the extra expense for different battery types later on. I started with a 3.6v and I'll be trying out the 6v whenever my new batteries get here.

The batteries will be anywhere from $5-$10 depending on where you buy them. I would buy the first two with the Roughstack from Madvapes. You might try shopping around for replacements. Dealextreme.com has them for $9.90 for two but the shipping will take a while.

I will warn you though, the switches are iffy. They have a 90 warranty and I had to use it for mine. They have changed the switch from a spring to hard wired but I'm not sure if it's more durable/resistant to moisture yet (should be). The spring switch stopped working on mine right before the 90 day period was up. They do sell replacements for the spring or hard wired switch for about $15. You'll need a soldering iron for the hard wired version. You could instead buy an entire new cap for $25.

If you like a strong throat hit you will most likely end up buying a higher voltage in the future. So, it's good to have something that can be changed or is cheap enough to throw away (but don't, a backup is nice). Being able to make it yourself, repair it, have a warranty, or buy replacements will also reduce cost. The battery replacements for mods are almost always cheaper and will most likely last longer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread