If you were a noob...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phayah

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2009
US
Very few find that the so-called enhancers work. I've tried quite a few and all they do is provide "irratation" but not true, good throat hit. TH comes mainly from two things: nicotine strength and warmth of the vapor which comes from more power, i.e better batteries and to a lesser degree, lower resistence.

That was a suspicion of mine.

I'm already vaping 36-48 mg on a 3.7v with LR. I really want to broaden my liquids but all of them (except one) feel too light. Maybe the 6v or 7.4v battery configurations will work for me. All my 5v PTs are dead and they weren't quite strong enough anyway.

Also, throat hit can come from other things. Certain flavors, alcohol, pepper, menthol, PG, etc. A good combination can work. My one and only vape is mostly cinnamon and it has way more throat hit than anything else at the same nic level on the same device. =D

Last edited:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
This is what I'm using today. I bought the eGo setup about 10 months ago and an eGo T setup about 6 months ago. Although the batteries don't last as long as they used to, they're all I need. I rotate them in the lineup. I have an E-Power with an 18650 battery in it and it's huge. I have tried every available atty, cart and gizmo you can buy. I just got box of resurrectors in the mail today to try and I might like them as well. I'm learning DIY and building mods but....
Bottom line is eGo batteries (or Riva) and a Boge LR carto. Good to go

Comparing an 18650 E-Power to the Ego is like comparing a mini 402 to a Silver Bullet. When we recommend an E-Power, we are recommending the 14650 or 14500 model which is almost the same size as the Ego.

I really don't think that is a proper size comparison for a new person.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
That was a suspicion of mine.

I'm already vaping 36-48 mg on a 3.7v with LR. I really want to broaden my liquids but all of them (except one) feel too light. Maybe the 6v or 7.4v battery configurations will work for me. All my 5v PTs are dead and they weren't quite strong enough anyway.

Also, throat hit can come from other things. Certain flavors, alcohol, pepper, menthol, PG, etc. A good combination can work. My one and only vape is mostly cinnamon and it has way more throat hit than anything else at the same nic level on the same device. =D

I would suggest you try a good variable volt PV like the Darwin. You will have a range from about 3.4v to 7v depending on the atty/carto you use.

Phayah

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2009
US
Comparing an 18650 E-Power to the Ego is like comparing a mini 402 to a Silver Bullet. When we recommend an E-Power, we are recommending the 14650 or 14500 model which is almost the same size as the Ego.

Hehe, when I bought my Maxi Roughstack I thought I'd hate it because it's a tank. I loved it when it arrived though. I just wrap my hand around it and puff away. It's only slightly longer than my palm minus the carto. It's a little heavy but if I drop it you better hope you aren't under it. That's all I have to worry about. =D

madjack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2011
Central Louisiana
I believe you have stated you have only vaped a few models and only 3.7 volt models. Respectfully, it shows in your comments. 5 volt and variable volt PV's DO NOT produce "hot" vapor. They do produce "warmer and fuller vapor" and tend to be more consistent. I have vaped 3.4v, 3.7v, 5v, 6v and variable volt PV's. The only one that was on the hot side was the 6 volt. It gets frustrating to me when people guide new people away from a particular vaping method when they have no experience with that particular method. If 5 volt models produced hot vapor, there would not be hundreds of thousands of people using them.

I also think it is not advisable to "lump" everyone together and infer that everyone must start out with small battery devices and then buy one a little better and then another and then another and spends hundreds of dollars before they find what really works for them. Not everyone is a turtle.

...not really a turtle, just a po' boy living in the deep woods without the bux to try anything more expensive than my Rivas and no one around to hit up for a vape or 3 from their 5,6,7.4 or VV units. Without a doubt, my enthusiasm for this new way has led me to MAYBE be a bit enthusiastic in some of my earlier posts...I am pretty good at research and have read just about everything which has been posted on this board since the beginning of August(and even earlier) and can only compare what has been said and try and fit that in to what my experiences have been...since I can't buy everything(I am a po' boy as stated) I can only infer what other items are like and I stand by everything I have recently posted...even including recommendations...I have even come to the point of trying to include various thoughts and recommendations on upgrade mods and such...still don't think 100bux+ units are any place a newb needs to go until they have a good idea what they like and the less expensive 3.7v devices will do that just fine.........
madjack:2cool:

p.s. one last thing...I will NEVER own a Provari or a Darwin...unless I win the PowerBall(and I would havvta buy tickets to do that)...to me, that would be pretentious and would be like buying a BMW or Mercedes just to get to the market...ain't gonna happen...my Chevy PU will do just fine...TYVM...I would like to have a RoughStak...with both bodies or even a GLV...maybe even a lower priced box mod...in fact, to get one of those, I would probably(as in eventually will) build my own...I certainly have the skils to do so.........mj

Last edited:

Phayah

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2009
US
...not really a turtle, just a po' boy living in the deep woods without the bux to try anything more expensive than my Rivas and no one around to hit up for a vape or 3 from their 5,6,7.4 or VV units. Without a doubt, my enthusiasm for this new way has led me to MAYBE be a bit enthusiastic in some of my earlier posts...I am pretty good at research and have read just about everything which has been posted on this board since the beginning of August and can only compare what has been said and try and fit that in to what my experiences have been...since I can't buy everything(I am a po' boy as stated) I can only infer what other items are like and I stand by everything I have recently posted...even including recommendations...I have even come to the point of trying to include various thoughts and recommendations on upgrade mods and such...still don't think 100bux+ units are any place a newb needs to go until they have a good idea what they like and the less expensive 3.7v devices will do that just fine.........
madjack:2cool:

I think a smaller investment at first is a good idea. Some people don't like vaping at all. I don't like standard kits because the bottom line is, they aren't worth it. $37 for a 3.7v box mod kit from foxyboxmods.com and $32.99 for a 510 kit from Madvapes. Add up the other things I mentioned and you've got quite a deal there.

I would only recommend a standard kit if someone must have something that looks like a cigarette. I'm not sure what the quality of the disposables are so I can't give an opinion but that might be something to look at as well. It didn't take me long to decide I had to have something better.

RazorNribbonz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Trapped within my imagination
After 2 yrs and tons of equipment - $$ later this is just my opinion (smile) ...If I had it to do over again....I'd get a variable volt mod..However, they didn't make those when I started lol... I got so sick of having 3-4 510 batts charging on every outlet every day lol

I disagree about mods for newbies... Yes, if your just wanting to get your feet wet, see if youd like vaping = ego etc...However,in my opinion, if your goal is to quit smoking or seriously cut down..You're going to need long battery life and vape power..When I started the hardest thing to learn was the ins and outs of the atomizer/cartomizers not the batteries.. And Mods offer at least a full day of worry free batt charging and many of them more than that.. I've seen vv mods for as low as 39$

A vv mod lets you dial in voltage from 3.7 to 5-6 volts..It allows you to find Your sweet spot as far as power and flavor.. You may start out liking 3.7 and later find your able and prefer 4.2... Or a particular flavor is sweeter at a higher or lower voltage... You can also try various atties/cartos on a vv mod just by changing voltages...And as far as being new and everything feeling so strange (learning curve).. Just research it, read up on what your considering and go to youtube if you need a visual on it... You'd have to do that with anything you first buy anyway..

I think the best set up for someone new would be an inexpensive vv mod and an ego/rivera battery as your other PV and or back up.

Ahhh so many opinions soooo lil time lol

Phayah

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2009
US
After 2 yrs and tons of equipment - $$ later this is just my opinion (smile) ...If I had it to do over again....I'd get a variable volt mod..However, they didn't make those when I started lol... I got so sick of having 3-4 510 batts charging on every outlet every day lol

I disagree about mods for newbies... Yes, if your just wanting to get your feet wet, see if youd like vaping = ego etc...However,in my opinion, if your goal is to quit smoking or seriously cut down..You're going to need long battery life and vape power..When I started the hardest thing to learn was the ins and outs of the atomizer/cartomizers not the batteries.. And Mods offer at least a full day of worry free batt charging and many of them more than that.. I've seen vv mods for as low as 39$

A vv mod lets you dial in voltage from 3.7 to 5-6 volts..It allows you to find Your sweet spot as far as power and flavor.. You may start out liking 3.7 and later find your able and prefer 4.2... Or a particular flavor is sweeter at a higher or lower voltage... You can also try various atties/cartos on a vv mod just by changing voltages...And as far as being new and everything feeling so strange (learning curve).. Just research it, read up on what your considering and go to youtube if you need a visual on it... You'd have to do that with anything you first buy anyway..

I think the best set up for someone new would be an inexpensive vv mod and an ego/rivera battery as your other PV and or back up.

Ahhh so many opinions soooo lil time lol

Ugh, those 510 batteries truly are a nightmare. My husband and I both vaped and at one point we were considering getting one of those mass chargers.

We got box mods after the 510s and it was so much better. We only needed 2 batteries each and you can charge 2 at once. Replacing them once a day or 2-3 days is a big deal compared to several times a day on the 510 batteries, especially for two people. =D

Last edited:

Bozzlite

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Central Texas
p.s.s. to say "if I knew then what I know now" is disingenuous as well...the point is, you DIDN'T know then and hadda learn...as is oft said...you gotta learn to crawl before you can walk and you gotta walk before you can run............mj

I believe that was the OP's question and I don't see how its disingenuous.

Huffelpuff

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2011
Philadelphia Burbs
I agree with the mod. It was a bit strange looking at first but my Reo Mini (purchased 2nd hand to save $$) is my go to PV. The bottom feed aspect is really convenient and it's just a lot less fussing with charging/topping off etc. I could've saved hundreds by just getting over the boxy look - I actually like the box look now.

The Riva that I bought was good just a wee bit lacking in the satisfaction department for me. For like $20-$25 you can buy the 1300 mah eGo battery which I think is superior to the Riva. Do not regret buying my Rivas as I still use them as a backup.

Check out the Classifieds for good deals on mods or eGo type models. I've had wonderful experiences purchasing there.

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky
You guys are all awesome and the input is so appreciated. I ended up purchasing an E Power and got some resurrectors to go with it. I am coming from a KR808 model, so I will have cig styles to take out and about with me. Really looking forward to getting my new gear and branching out a bit!

That is an excellent choice.

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky
I agree with the mod. It was a bit strange looking at first but my Reo Mini (purchased 2nd hand to save $$) is my go to PV. The bottom feed aspect is really convenient and it's just a lot less fussing with charging/topping off etc. I could've saved hundreds by just getting over the boxy look - I actually like the box look now.

The Riva that I bought was good just a wee bit lacking in the satisfaction department for me. For like $20-$25 you can buy the 1300 mah eGo battery which I think is superior to the Riva. Do not regret buying my Rivas as I still use them as a backup.

Check out the Classifieds for good deals on mods or eGo type models. I've had wonderful experiences purchasing there.

I'm so happy you are enjoying your REO!

On the eGo front, I purchased my brother a KGO ($45 eGo clone/1100 mAh/actual 3.7v) and was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was with 1.5 ohm dually cartos. I wouldn't give up my REO, but it is a good vape.

rwnielsen

Test Pilot
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2010
Long Beach CA

My bad. You're absolutely correct. I ordered an E-Power on sale from a site and that's what I received. I was unaware that they made a portable one :)

poetofisis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2011
Gillette, WY
www.hotheadvapor.com
I still would have gone with the volt (although it's no longer the proverbial apple of my eye), but forego the cartomizer method and gone straight to modern clearomizers. I'll never go back to obsolete cartos. That said, I enjoy my adventures in the world of vaping and (thanks due to everyone here) have no regrets to speak of. Vape on, brothers in... mods? Juice? Something like that... Wow! Clever wit sure failed me that time, didn't it?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread