If you were a noob...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bliss12897

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
lol Yeah that is me and thanks for what I am taking as a compliment :) I am 36 and was a 20 yr smoker, 23 days stick free now though :)
Everyone is giving me great info and I am really trying to narrow down what I want to upgrade to. All the mod stuff really seems to be over my head at this point, and to be honest, even the basic things seem to be lol. I think I am leaning towards the e-power kit for now with some resurrector cartos to start. I am so ready to buy, but I am gun shy because I want to make sure I am purchasing something I can get some great use out of for a while to come.

coffm0

ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2010
Texas
RIVA, EGO or anything similar you really cant go wrong. But I would recommend carto or tank. The little refill carts ar a serious pain and discouragement if you dont know what your doing. The main thing is dont give up, you will find something that works. I have had some form of all ecigs except a VV. Ease of use, battery, mess it makes refilling and how much stuff you carry with you all matter in the end but for now. Its best to kepp it simple.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Some ego batteries and boge cartomisers every time.

+1
    I started out with an eGo-T. If I had it to do over I would have gotten a regular eGo starter kit plus a box of LR Boge cartos. I would have put the atomizers that came with the starter kit away for later, and filled the cartridges with cheese to bait mouce traps with.

Iffy

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Florida Suncoast
    Started with the eGo and carts. Through evaluating different devices, tank/carto/dripping/bottom feeder/etc., I find that the eGo batt/eMDCC is the combo that provides me with the vape that keeps me off 'bakky.

I truly believe that this is the best, least troublesome and most cost effective 'launching platform' for n00bs ('fashion' issues aside). I just received a Buzz Pro and am enjoying exploring its capability. But, I would not recommend one for a novice trying to quit cigs.

Phayah

ECF Veteran
    Jul 15, 2009
    US
    I hear good things about the e power.
    I wouldn't let yourself get to weirded out by the simple box mods, for the most part they are boxes you put batteries into and screw a cartomizer onto. Hit the button and suck. If something goes wrong, email the guy who made it. Easy.
    Have fun. :3

Yep, really simple and easy to understand once you get a look at it in person. =D

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I hear good things about the e power.
    I wouldn't let yourself get to weirded out by the simple box mods, for the most part they are boxes you put batteries into and screw a cartomizer onto. Hit the button and suck. If something goes wrong, email the guy who made it. Easy.
    Have fun. :3

The problem I have with the little 2AA box mods (costs about $5 to make one) is I keep giving the damn thing away, and have to build me a new one.

Last edited:

Boodle

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 27, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    altcig.com
    If I were a noob, knowing nothing about ecigs I'd get a cigarette-looking ecig kit with 2 batts and pre-filled 24mg cartos in a variety of flavors, mainly tobacco for an easier transition from cigarettes to vaping. Only two new things to learn; charging a battery and screwing on a new 'filter' (carto) as needed.

When the promise is clear, it's easy to pay the price of learning to use upgraded equipment. At the first sign I wasn't getting enough of something I'd get a KGO kit, 2.0 cartomizers, juice and a couple of drip tips. I'd learn how to fill cartomizers, drip and fiddle with juice. Cigarettes had a strong physical and psychological hold on me. They beat me many times in quit attempts. I'd make vaping as fail-proof as possible at the start.

wv2win

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 10, 2009
    GA by way of WV
    I realize it's not that complicated but, I hesitate to recommend higher voltage or VV to a newbie. The problem is that those mods are not marketed for someone just starting out. There's enough of a frustration factor with the learning curve to throw additional complications into the mix.

I'm afraid I can't agree with you on this one, rat. Screwing an atty or carto into a 5 volt box mod and pushing the button and inhaling is the same thing you do on an E-Power/Ego/Riva, etc. No more complicated, just nice warmer vaper.

kelleymcm

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 2, 2010
    oklahoma city
    yeah but ... & I don't know how rare or common this is ....
    but ....anything over 4v kills my throat !!:evil:

So I am pretty glad I have NOT given in to the "I wanna try a mod urges", I would have always had the classy's to re-sell any thing I had invested in ... but still glad I never did it .

So I still think starting w/basics & moving up from there is the best way to learn what's "what" with all this stuff ...every stage teaches ya' something ...

Boodle

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 27, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    altcig.com
    yeah but ... & I don't know how rare or common this is ....
    but ....anything over 4v kills my throat !!:evil:

So I am pretty glad I have NOT given in to the "I wanna try a mod urges", I would have always had the classy's to re-sell any thing I had invested in ... but still glad I never did it .

So I still think starting w/basics & moving up from there is the best way to learn what's "what" with all this stuff ...every stage teaches ya' something ...

'every stage teaches you something' well said and so true.

kot1rc5

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 12, 2010
    FL
    Last edited:

madjack

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 17, 2011
    Central Louisiana
    I'm afraid I can't agree with you on this one, rat. Screwing an atty or carto into a 5 volt box mod and pushing the button and inhaling is the same thing you do on an E-Power/Ego/Riva, etc. No more complicated, just nice warmer vaper.

I gotta respectfully disagree...while the physical actions may be the same, I can't think of any thing worse than a totally unprepared newb hitting some kinda hot mod and frying their throat the first time they vape...I know for myself, my first vape on a Riva just about killed me...and I know from others comments, that is a pretty common happenstance...if I had been using a 5v+ mod with a hot atty, I may well have never gotten any further...starting out with a Riva/eGo style(or even a slim line) allowed me to experiment and learn what that sweet spot is...NOW, I would like some different units but a mod, especially a hot one is not the place for a newb to start climbing the curve that e-cigs take to succeed..............
    madjack:2cool:

p.s. I couldn't agree more with kelleymcm's comment "So I still think starting w/basics & moving up from there is the best way to learn what's "what" with all this stuff ...every stage teaches ya' something ... "...........mj

p.s.s. to say "if I knew then what I know now" is disingenuous as well...the point is, you DIDN'T know then and hadda learn...as is oft said...you gotta learn to crawl before you can walk and you gotta walk before you can run............mj

Last edited:

Phayah

ECF Veteran
    Jul 15, 2009
    US
    I gotta respectfully disagree...I can't think of any thing worse than a totally unprepared newb hitting some kinda hot mod and frying their throat the first time they vape...I know for myself, my first vape on a Riva just about killed me...and I know from others comments, that is a pretty common happenstance...if I had been using a 5v+ mod with a hot atty, I may well have never gotten any further...starting out with a Riva/eGo style(or even a slim line) allowed me to experiment and learn what that sweet spot is...NOW, I would like some different units but a mod, especially a hot one is not the place for a newb to start climbing the curve that e-cigs take to succeed..............

I think it really depends on the person. If you know you love a big throat hit, go for it. I have always been dissatisfied and in need of a bigger hit. Might be a recommendation for a heavy smoker of full flavored or full flavored menthol and doesn't mind spending some money.

I've tried up to 5v and it definitely doesn't feel like that for me. I still want a bigger throat hit. =D

Boodle

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 27, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    altcig.com
    I think it really depends on the person. If you know you love a big throat hit, go for it. I have always been dissatisfied and in need of a bigger hit. Might be a recommendation for a heavy smoker of full flavored or full flavored menthol and doesn't mind spending some money.

I've tried up to 5v and it definitely doesn't feel like that for me. I still want a bigger throat hit. =D

I believe there are TH enhancers. Check the DIY threads. I love KickBassVapor but get no TH. I've thought about getting the TH enhancer to try with their juices.

For monster TH when I have a cig crave Halo's Torque 56 and JC's spiced apple cider do it for me.

Phayah

ECF Veteran
    Jul 15, 2009
    US
    I believe there are TH enhancers. Check the DIY threads. I love KickBassVapor but get no TH. I've thought about getting the TH enhancer to try with their juices.

For monster TH when I have a cig crave Halo's Torque 56 and JC's spiced apple cider do it for me.

Thanks =D

I was thinking about trying out some of those enhancers. I do have one (ONLY one) liquid I like for throat hit and it's the only thing I vape really. I've tried Torque and it's good stuff but not enough for me STILL. Not sure if I've tried the apple cider but a long time ago I got a JC sampler and their stuff was too light for me. The taste was pretty good though. Blah!

PS - Sorry about being off topic. =D

madjack

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 17, 2011
    Central Louisiana

I totally agree it has to do with the individual...and that's kinda the point I was making...personally I don't care for a big ol' hot throat hit and prefer a somewhat cooler vapor others are the opposite...we are all diff...something made for or recommended for a newb has to take into account of what I would call the lowest common denominator...a newb will have no idea and is trying to find first, if this is doable and if it will work to get them off of the funkaretts, after that realization sets in and they start learning, THEN, they can search for that ideal sweet spot for them...A supper hot/harsh hit with a complicated looking(not necessarily is) unit is gonna chase more away than it keeps...PLUS, if they are just wondering if it will work, the lower cost of a 30 dollar kit will be much more appealing than a 50bux kit or a 100bux kit and especially a 250dollar price tag...to those that spent that kinda money at a mall kiosk, I'm sorry BUT, that is just stupid without doing some research first...........

Phayah

ECF Veteran
    Jul 15, 2009
    US
    I totally agree it has to do with the individual...and that's kinda the point I was making...personally I don't care for a big ol' hot throat hit and prefer a somewhat cooler vapor others are the opposite...we are all diff...something made for or recommended for a newb has to take into account of what I would call the lowest common denominator...a newb will have no idea and is trying to find first, if this is doable and if it will work to get them off of the funkaretts, after that realization sets in and they start learning, THEN, they can search for that ideal sweet spot for them...A supper hot/harsh hit with a complicated looking(not necessarily is) unit is gonna chase more away than it keeps...PLUS, if they are just wondering if it will work, the lower cost of a 30 dollar kit will be much more appealing than a 50bux kit or a 100bux kit and especially a 250dollar price tag...to those that spent that kinda money at a mall kiosk, I'm sorry BUT, that is just stupid without doing some research first...........

If there had been 3.7v box mods when I started, that's what I would have gotten. They are a very solid foundation and they're cheap (about the same price for a 510 kit). The charger you get with one can be used for many different types of batteries so you can try out other mods later on without buying a new one. The batteries are cheaper to replace, you don't have to buy new ones as often, and they last so much longer. It's a high quality experience at a very low cost.

So, I still say box mods for noobs! If you can put a battery in a flashlight or remote control that is the only difference in setup.

Last edited:

madjack

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 17, 2011
    Central Louisiana
    ...if you knew what you know now...huh(be honest)...I only started this adventure less than 2mos ago and all that stuff was available to me...I spent a few weeks here trying to figure it all out and bought a Riva...even now, knowing what I know and wanting a roughstak or a GLV or even a box mod, I would still have chosen a Riva to get me started and over the beginning of the learning curve...heck, I thought I was being adventurous(at the time) when I got LR(didn't really know what that meant) Boge2.0 cartos to go with it............

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread