If you were a noob...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phayah

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2009
US
...if you knew what you know now...huh(be honest)...I only started this adventure less than 2mos ago and all that stuff was available to me...I spent a few weeks here trying to figure it all out and bought a Riva...even now, knowing what I know and wanting a roughstak or a GLV or even a box mod, I would still have chosen a Riva to get me started and over the beginning of the learning curve...heck, I thought I was being adventurous(at the time) when I got LR(didn't really know what that meant) Boge2.0 cartos to go with it............
madjack:2cool:

Hehe, well I think we need to get the word out. There are a lot of experienced people here who can share their knowledge and preferences. Then noobies can make of that what they will. =D

People should be aware that a basic 3.7v box mod is in the same price range as a basic kit. It is the equivalent of a more expensive kit though.

Phayah

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2009
US
so OT but... how long do the batts that go in mods last ? I realize they are cheaper ...but I still have 3 (switch stuck on 1 in july) of the 4 riva batts I bought last dec...& have been using them in rotation daily ...all this time.

Ken's website says it lasts about 8 hours. I'm a heavy vaper and it will last all day or at least most of the day. My husband changes his box mod batteries every 2-3 days.

I use the Roughstack now though. It will last maybe 3 days.

*Edit* Sorry, I misunderstood your question. I can't remember when I bought the box mods. Maybe 1 year or 1 1/2. We replaced the batteries but not because they died. They had gotten a little weaker.

With the basic 510 kit we had to replace them every few months.

*Another Edit* Ya gotta love email. It was the beginning of September last year. They are $5 each.

Last edited:

madjack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2011
Central Louisiana
Hehe, well I think we need to get the word out. There are a lot of experienced people here who can share their knowledge and preferences. Then noobies can make of that what they will. =D

People should be aware that a basic 3.7v box mod is in the same price range as a basic kit. It is the equivalent of a more expensive kit though.

I agree, as much info should be put out there...I think links are important as well as accurate pricing info...one of the reasons I went with a Riva was the Liberty Flight website...easy to follow, so if you wanna recommend box mods to folks, by all means do so...with specific links, accurate info about costs(including batts/chargers) and some insight into what to expect when they take that first hit...I used to(kinda) blindly recommend Rivas to everyone(I was enthralled with them) and had a few disagreements over that blind devotion...I now try to give newbs a bit more info to include such things as E=Powers, RoughStaks and even GLV's and such...more info is good but keep in mind, there is already an OVERWHELMING amount of info out there and most newbs are trying real hard to sort it out into usable data.........

p.s. I think we have gone far afield from what the OP asked...anybody got any idea what that was???????mj

Last edited:

base234

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2011
Over the edge...
Good question from a new person!!!

I would have gone with a good 5 volt model because it provides warmer, more consistent vapor and does it with regular resistence cartomizers so you don't have to be limited to LR (low resistence) atts/cartos which don't hold up as long. To get one in that price range, I would get one of Ken's 5 volt Box Mods which cost $37 but with batteries and charger run about $55.

If I decided to stick with a 3.7 volt model, it would be the E-Power because it will save money in the long run over the Ego/Riva look alikes.

Box Mod: Ken's Box Mods

All good advice!

madjack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2011
Central Louisiana
Ken's website says it lasts about 8 hours. I'm a heavy vaper and it will last all day or at least most of the day. My husband changes his box mod batteries every 2-3 days.

I use the Roughstack now though. It will last maybe 3 days.

*Edit* Sorry, I misunderstood your question. I can't remember when I bought the box mods. Maybe 1 year or 1 1/2. We replaced the batteries but not because they died. They had gotten a little weaker.

With the basic 510 kit we had to replace them every few months.

*Another Edit* Ya gotta love email. It was the beginning of September last year. They are $5 each.

...what size Roughstak(maxi/mini) and what size/mah batts are you using...............:2cool:

Phayah

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2009
US
...what size Roughstak(maxi/mini) and what size/mah batts are you using...............:2cool:

Maxi with 18650 2400mAh. You can get those batteries cheaper than the e cig sites sell them. I linked two websites in my first post.

Also, I had to make a correction there. The Custom Saber Shop is cheaper but you'd have to buy more at once to get the benefit due to their shipping cost.

Some people say they can get them at local hardware stores but I can't verify it personally.

Last edited:

bliss12897

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
You guys are all awesome and the input is so appreciated. I ended up purchasing an E Power and got some resurrectors to go with it. I am coming from a KR808 model, so I will have cig styles to take out and about with me. Really looking forward to getting my new gear and branching out a bit!

rwnielsen

Test Pilot
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2010
Long Beach CA
Some ego batteries and boge cartomisers every time.

This is what I'm using today. I bought the eGo setup about 10 months ago and an eGo T setup about 6 months ago. Although the batteries don't last as long as they used to, they're all I need. I rotate them in the lineup. I have an E-Power with an 18650 battery in it and it's huge. I have tried every available atty, cart and gizmo you can buy. I just got box of resurrectors in the mail today to try and I might like them as well. I'm learning DIY and building mods but....
Bottom line is eGo batteries (or Riva) and a Boge LR carto. Good to go

E-Power vs eGo 650mah :)
E-Power.jpg

rwnielsen

Test Pilot
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2010
Long Beach CA
You guys are all awesome and the input is so appreciated. I ended up purchasing an E Power and got some resurrectors to go with it. I am coming from a KR808 model, so I will have cig styles to take out and about with me. Really looking forward to getting my new gear and branching out a bit!

That's funny, I just got the batteries for my E-Power today along with a box of resurrectors. The cartos take a little time to fill but seem to hold quite a bit. The E-Power is a handful but it works great. You're going to be a happy camper soon :)

Take care
Richard

Phayah

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2009
US
so OT but... how long do the batts that go in mods last ? I realize they are cheaper ...but I still have 3 (switch stuck on 1 in july) of the 4 riva batts I bought last dec...& have been using them in rotation daily ...all this time.

I forgot to mention that we bought four so that was two batteries each for me and my husband. They got a lot of use out of them in that time frame.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I gotta respectfully disagree...while the physical actions may be the same, I can't think of any thing worse than a totally unprepared newb hitting some kinda hot mod and frying their throat the first time they vape...I know for myself, my first vape on a Riva just about killed me...and I know from others comments, that is a pretty common happenstance...if I had been using a 5v+ mod with a hot atty, I may well have never gotten any further...starting out with a Riva/eGo style(or even a slim line) allowed me to experiment and learn what that sweet spot is...NOW, I would like some different units but a mod, especially a hot one is not the place for a newb to start climbing the curve that e-cigs take to succeed..............

p.s. I couldn't agree more with kelleymcm's comment "So I still think starting w/basics & moving up from there is the best way to learn what's "what" with all this stuff ...every stage teaches ya' something ... "...........mj

p.s.s. to say "if I knew then what I know now" is disingenuous as well...the point is, you DIDN'T know then and hadda learn...as is oft said...you gotta learn to crawl before you can walk and you gotta walk before you can run............mj

I believe you have stated you have only vaped a few models and only 3.7 volt models. Respectfully, it shows in your comments. 5 volt and variable volt PV's DO NOT produce "hot" vapor. They do produce "warmer and fuller vapor" and tend to be more consistent. I have vaped 3.4v, 3.7v, 5v, 6v and variable volt PV's. The only one that was on the hot side was the 6 volt. It gets frustrating to me when people guide new people away from a particular vaping method when they have no experience with that particular method. If 5 volt models produced hot vapor, there would not be hundreds of thousands of people using them.

I also think it is not advisable to "lump" everyone together and infer that everyone must start out with small battery devices and then buy one a little better and then another and then another and spends hundreds of dollars before they find what really works for them. Not everyone is a turtle.

Last edited:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I believe there are TH enhancers. Check the DIY threads. I love KickBassVapor but get no TH. I've thought about getting the TH enhancer to try with their juices.

For monster TH when I have a cig crave Halo's Torque 56 and JC's spiced apple cider do it for me.

Very few find that the so-called enhancers work. I've tried quite a few and all they do is provide "irratation" but not true, good throat hit. TH comes mainly from two things: nicotine strength and warmth of the vapor which comes from more power, i.e better batteries and to a lesser degree, lower resistence.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
The one i ordered is the 14650 model. I figure this will be a good start :)

It should be. They've been out a little longer than the 18650s and they won't be as big. If you decide you want to move into VV etc.. it'll make a good back up set up. I'd probably have one but, I already had 4 eGo bats when they came out. Now I never use those. :)

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
I'm going with madjack and others and say a good kit to start with. That way you have two units and if something goes wrong, you might be able to limp by until the replacement comes in. The kgo is rated at 1100mah and will drive about anything you screw on it. It's reported to have a slightly higher voltage than most models and I think it would be my choice if I had to order from scratch for some reason. That said, I think I should mention that I'm very happy with my ego and e-power and 5vPT.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV

Non proprietary batteries that are used in most "mod" type models last 5 TIMES LONGER than the proprietary batteries that are stock on Ego's and Riva's and cost 2-3 times less. With all these recommendations for the proprietary models, those doing the recommending never bring that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread