• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

IMR chargers, what are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
My xstar wp2 II says please use special adapter and also it says 1A 0.5A 0A. I susumu 0 is no charging, 0.5 is slower charging but maybe longer lasting? 1A is faster charging but not as long lasting ? Or are there batteries that shouldn't be charged at 1A so they have the 0.5A setting for those batteries.
I've been using 0.5A with my AW IMR 18350 and 18650. It works but what will happen if I use 1A setting? Why two settings. Please don't pass me over because I'm a little off topic. I'm almost always a little off topic! Being a little off probably....

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
dammit.jpg

i had one go up - an AW IMR - and now i charge them all in a bombproof (i hope) bag and i never take my eyes of it. I have yet to repaint the wall.

Which is why despite people telling me 'but it's chemically safer' - i prefer li-ion protected batteries. I have never had any problem with those and have used them since my first Silver Bullet. Just don't get complacent and throw them away if you are unsure. Also get a decent multimeter and measure them, never trust a green LED on a charger.

T

struckus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2012
Ontario, Canada
View attachment 172670

i had one go up - an AW IMR - and now i charge them all in a bombproof (i hope) bag and i never take my eyes of it. I have yet to repaint the wall.

Which is why despite people telling me 'but it's chemically safer' - i prefer li-ion protected batteries. I have never had any problem with those and have used them since my first Silver Bullet. Just don't get complacent and throw them away if you are unsure. Also get a decent multimeter and measure them, never trust a green LED on a charger.

T

sucks about the failure..I never leave anything charging unattended..

also IMR's are safer chemically..they will still vent on failure but will not explode and flame out like a li-ion..

Last edited:

Edson Arantes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2012
Mexique
Hello,

I have 3 AW IMR's that I use on my Provari mini which I charge on my Tenergy charger. Lately my batteries como off the charger at 3.7 - 3.8 volts. They are only about 4 months old. Is it the crappy charger?? I am getting 2 more AW's in my battery rotation and see if that helps. Anyone had a problem like mine???

Gracias!

NickFit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2012
Newfoundland
I use AW IMR 18650's (4 of them in rotation) and a Xtar WP2 II charger... no problems now in the last two months. I use the 1 amp setting as I read somewhere that there is no added danger compared to 0.5amp and it does not affect battery life. I couldn't tell you where I read that now.

I didn't bother with a charging bag, but I may reconsider that now... maybe I will just get a cookie can and punch holes throughout the top lid for venting. I won't go to bed with it charging, but I have fell asleep on the couch by accident one time. I didn't think it would get that hot, I thought venting just meant venting gas and wouldn't be as dangerous as the LiPo flames.

rems

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2012
Ontario
I use AW IMR 18650's (4 of them in rotation) and a Xtar WP2 II charger... no problems now in the last two months. I use the 1 amp setting as I read somewhere that there is no added danger compared to 0.5amp and it does not affect battery life. I couldn't tell you where I read that now.

I didn't bother with a charging bag, but I may reconsider that now... maybe I will just get a cookie can and punch holes throughout the top lid for venting. I won't go to bed with it charging, but I have fell asleep on the couch by accident one time. I didn't think it would get that hot, I thought venting just meant venting gas and wouldn't be as dangerous as the LiPo flames.

I believe if the batteries have a Mah rating of less than 1 amp hour or 1000mah, then the 0.5ah setting should be used. If the batteries have rating of more than 1000mah, then you can use the 1a setting. Just don't charge a 650 mah battery on the 1amp setting. Always keep the setting below the mah rating. A 2000mah battery can be charged on either setting. The 0.5amp setting will just charge it slower.

I have been using an old metal tin with a lid. I punched holes in it for venting. I am still really interested in a lipo bag as I'm worried about my false sense of security with the tin. I've seen some videos of these bats going and it is quite eruptive. The tin may be better than nothing but.....

Last edited:

HOPS

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2012
Intellicharger i4
I'm looking at this exact charger. I know the 18350's would fit but they are not listed as compatible (at least not on any site I've seen it on). Are there any safety issues in charging the 18350's in this unit? Also, are APV's like the Vamo and Lavatube V2 adequate to use as battery meters?

struckus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I'm looking at this exact charger. I know the 18350's would fit but they are not listed as compatible (at least not on any site I've seen it on). Are there any safety issues in charging the 18350's in this unit? Also, are APV's like the Vamo and Lavatube V2 adequate to use as battery meters?

charges 18350's no problem..

martinc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
Montreal,Quebec,Canada
The way my xtar (6 bays) works is that if you put a pair of batts side-by-side,they will charge at 0.5A but only one per 2 slots its 1A...6 slots,3 pairs,all separate circuits.

Additional spacers required (like a buck each) I got 10 total,all set for 14500,18350,18650,etc (if they are 4.2 fully charged batts) got another smaller xtar for 3V (switch to take 18350 too) batts and a trustfire as spare

Pipeous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
Surrey, BC, Canada
www.madpro.ca
I use 18650`s in my Reo and also my flashlight for work. $40 at Princess auto they sell an 8 watt led flashlight with an 18650 and a charger. it is an impact (made for breaking windows in emergency etc) light lasts forever and lights stuff up like it is daylight... best flashlight I have ever owned.

struckus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Call me cheap, but I am using both Trustfire Tr-001 (2 batts) and TR-003 (4 batts) for about 8 months now. I am using 18350 only, no problems whatsoever so far.

I have the 4 batt one and yep it works great..my i4 just happens to be the one I always use as I find it charges faster and terminates at 4.18v..the trustfire charges to 4.24v which is still safe but a little high for my preference..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread