• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Info from my pharmacist I thought I would share

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalvinf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2011
Hamilton Canada
Interesting post, IanK, Thanks.

I think more and more doctors will get on board with this in the future.

My Brother-in-law works in the medical supply industry (in the states) and he said he knows lots of pulminologists that would go nuts for E-cigs. The doctors get the point with patients where they are literally going to die soon if they don't stop smoking, and the doctors would give them ANYTHING to get them to stop, as long as it was only marginally less deadly.

All this stuff just takes time. I think society will eventually come around.

I'm an outpatient at a respiratory health unit and my doctor has been shaking his head and looking at me very grimly the last few appointments. I haven't seen him since starting vaping and it will more than make his day when he finds out I've stopped smoking tobacco - least I'm pretty sure he will be stunned at least and then hopefully very open to e-cigs.

I'll post when I do have the next appointment to let you all know the reaction. If he is very positive, this will be an information update for the benefits of e-cigarettes/vaping to a major respiratory unit in the Ontario health system.

pothole

Jan 19, 2011
NL Canada
I recently had my 2 yr check-up, after having bypass surgery on my leg ( which of course the vascular surgeon blamed on smoking ). He was amazed that I had finally quit and asked how did I do it? I pulled my 501 out of my pocket and took a couple of puffs, he was blown away and asked what is it and how does it work. I explained and his eyes lit up and he said he had to get one for himself. I told him about ECF and that all the info he needed including links to suppliers was in here.

Danesnpits

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Aberdeen, Saskatchewan
I recently had my 2 yr check-up, after having bypass surgery on my leg ( which of course the vascular surgeon blamed on smoking ). He was amazed that I had finally quit and asked how did I do it? I pulled my 501 out of my pocket and took a couple of puffs, he was blown away and asked what is it and how does it work. I explained and his eyes lit up and he said he had to get one for himself. I told him about ECF and that all the info he needed including links to suppliers was in here.
Fantastic pothole!!! I have read so many inspiring stories since I joined, and it keeps me vaping! Healthy feelings these days since I quite the analogs..and barely an asthma attack since. I even put my inhalers away in the bathroom in the cabinet. Don't really need them anymore!!

kingcobra

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2011
Canada
I always thought it was our constitutional right to chose what we put into our body's. Now we need to get doctors and pharmacist support.

Well since you brought that up, section 7 of the Charter does specify that we have the right to life, liberty, and security of the person. Now it all comes down to what is meant by liberty, and it always comes down to how the courts are willing to define it. Common sense dictates that this would include matters of a personal nature that do not infringe upon anyone else, and for instance that was the definition that Bertha Wilson used in defending the right to legal abortion in R. v. Morgentaler.

This case is also a perfect example of how things work in reality though, as there are two elements that are required for a right or freedom which isn't explicitly included in the charter to become protected. The first is that there is a reasonable basis to do so, and the second is that there is a not a prejudicial bias against it. This is sad, but true. For instance, it could be argued pretty easily that the prevention of the use of any drug whatsoever would violate section 7 of the Charter. It's unthinkable how this could be reasonably thought of otherwise, although reason doesn't always win out in the courts, even the Supreme Court.

Then, given that a law is found to infringe upon a Charter right, then the infringement must then be found to be a demonstrably justifiable in a free and democratic society. Among other things, the objective must be found to be "pressing and substantial," which as you can imagine is subject to wide interpretation. This is the big roadblock to any real substantial change, and for that to ever happen we're going to need much more liberal thinking justices than has been the case up until now.

However, pretending that e-cigs were actually illegal and not just banned, which isn't the same thing, and the issue was up before the courts, it's unimaginable that it would be able to pass this test, given that vaping is a safer alternative to smoking tobacco, which is regulated but legal. The only pressing concern for the government would be to not see their tax revenues decrease, which is far from a sufficiently pressing and substantial objective to infringe upon people's right to liberty.

So right now, it's a purely political thing, and although we are small in number, we still have the means to embarrass our meddling government enough to want to rethink their idiocy. So let's make some noise!!!! ;)

IanK1968

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
Toronto Canada
www.mapleleafvapes.com
The funny thing is, there is not one health care professional, pharmacist, nurse, or heath agency that backs the use of cigarettes and they are legal. Soon as something is deemed safer or an alternative (That word scares Heath Canada) it gets banned pending wet lab testing, otherwise known as vetting. Try to find a wet lab that has government funding to test your product, good luck. If you plan on coming out with a product that is not regulated by big Pharma or big Tobacco and takes business away from them, you are the enemy regardless if it helps you live longer or heather for you. God forbid we should actually live longer.

ElProximo

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2011
Alberta
I knew what you meant by 'oily substance' which is describing what the physical property is like. I almost hate saying 'oily' whenever I'm describing e-juice (and yet I do say oily) but I get this fear people will think I mean it IS actual 'oil'. Someone mentioned this also was part of a misunderstanding regarding a UK investigation yikes.

Yes, we need to get pharmacists and doctors into this. I intend a little discussion with my Doctor next time and lets get them on our side whenever we can.

Just an added motivation here: Got a cousin who was a HARDCORE to-the-death cigarette smoker. Not only that but addicted to ____ and _____ and you fill in those blanks. I mean a real hard-case addict and devoted 2 pack a day cigarette raspy-voiced 25 year tobacco addict.
To our stunning amazement she got a hold of a e-cig starter kit and IMMEDIATELY quit smoking. Bam! One of those instant 'first day total converts'.
She is done cigarettes and has been for months now. So that is another Canadian 'professional lifelong' smoker who is vaping and clearly healthier for it.
Turns out.. she is actually doing stuff like 'exercising' and 'less drinking' and could it be a 'health kick'???? We are actually freaked out by it!

rachelcoffe

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2010
Toronto
Just to clarify on the 'oils' issue:

PG, VG & triacetin are all volatile, water-soluble liquids. Volatile liquids or volatile oils will evaporate rapidly, so they won't stay in you. They don't have any problem evaporating or vapourizing easily. They will not leave any oily or non-volatile residue inside you. Whatever oily, non-volatile crap was left in that UK guy's lungs was from cigarette smoking, not from vaping. He smoked for nearly his entire life, and vaped for only 9 months. He was an example of someone who was simply too far gone to save. I thank goodness every day that we found vaping when we did, looong before reaching the point of that guy.

The issue of good or bad oils is more to do with the flavourings in your e-juice.

Non-volatile, non-water soluble oils are not OK to vape. For one thing, they won't vapourize, lol. They'll just sit there on your atomizer or cartomizer coil & burn. They won't mix properly with the rest of your e-juice either...they'll just float on the top of your batch.

But volatile, water-soluble oils are perfectly fine for use in e-juice. For example, the Cola 'Tri' from Perfumer's Apprentice is a natural flavour using essential oils. But they're volatile oils (which means they will have no problem mixing with your e-juice, or evaporating, or vapourizing) - and water soluble - so they're perfectly fine for vaping. If you ever have a concern about a flavouring, water solubilty & volatility should answer it.

But yeah - e-juice is the good stuff. You can feel good knowing that what you're vaping is clean, no more harmful than drinking caffeinated coffe...and if it contains PG, it's also killing all kinds of germs, bacteria & even some viruses, on contact. Just 1 part of PG to 2 million parts of air will kill influenza & all sorts of crap on contact. This is why vapers are far less likely to come down with seasonal bugs & the like. Good stuff indeed!

Happy vaping everyone!
FVxh8.gif

IanK1968

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
Toronto Canada
www.mapleleafvapes.com
Hope you understand this lol.

The antimicrobial properties of - propylene glycol, - against Candida albicans, Staphylococcus aureus, Staphylococcus epidermidis, Streptococcus pyogenes A, Streptococcus mitis, and E. coli were studied in vitro. Within 20 h, 10% and 30% hexylene glycol in fresh tryptic soy broth were able to kill all the micro-organisms listed above. Five percent hexylene glycol showed some antimicrobial properties but the 1% agent had no effect. Thirty percent 1,3-butylene glycol and 30% propylene glycol were approximately as effective as 10% HG. The results speak in favour of using hexylene glycol in cosmetic and dermatological vehicles instead of propylene glycol and 1,3-butylene glycol.

Propylene glycol was tested for its antimicrobial activity as well as its possible irritant effect in ointments. With regard to the antimicrobial effect, vehicles containing more than 5% propylene glycol proved to be superior to those containing glycerol. 269 volunteers with or without eczema who had been treated with 10% propylene glycol under occlusion and by means of the Duhring chamber method, showed very few irritations; there was almost none observed in patients tested with an ointment containing glycerol instead. We did not find any allergic sensitization against propylene glycol.

Last edited:

ElProximo

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2011
Alberta
Just to clarify on the 'oils' issue:

PG, VG & triacetin are all volatile, water-soluble liquids. Volatile liquids or volatile oils will evaporate rapidly, so they won't stay in you. They don't have any problem evaporating or vapourizing easily. They will not leave any oily or non-volatile residue inside you.
The issue of good or bad oils is more to do with the flavourings in your e-juice.

Non-volatile, non-water soluble oils are not OK to vape. For one thing, they won't vapourize, lol. They'll just sit there on your atomizer or cartomizer coil & burn. They won't mix properly with the rest of your e-juice either...they'll just float on the top of your batch.

But volatile, water-soluble oils are perfectly fine for use in e-juice. For example, the Cola 'Tri' from Perfumer's Apprentice is a natural flavour using essential oils. But they're volatile oils (which means they will have no problem mixing with your e-juice, or evaporating, or vapourizing) - and water soluble - so they're perfectly fine for vaping. If you ever have a concern about a flavouring, water solubilty & volatility should answer it.

But yeah - e-juice is the good stuff. You can feel good knowing that what you're vaping is clean, no more harmful than drinking caffeinated coffe...and if it contains PG, it's also killing all kinds of germs, bacteria & even some viruses, on contact. Just 1 part of PG to 2 million parts of air will kill influenza & all sorts of crap on contact. This is why vapers are far less likely to come down with seasonal bugs & the like. Good stuff indeed!

Happy vaping everyone!
FVxh8.gif

Okay so maybe it is proper to say 'oil' but now I see the difference is one is a volatile water-soluble kind - we want this kind of oil.

This is really huge to understand and I once read online a person was proud of how they had bought some cooking oils of some flavours and mixed their own juice (and were happily recommending to others) but I seem to recall the version they had acquired was NOT this 'water soluble' type of oil but rather that 'non-volatile non-water' type!!

Also, VERY interesting that PG might actually act as an antibacterial type of stuff! Wow I would have never guessed that and what a cool 'side benefit' so-to-speak.

Was kind of funny to see your doc look at you like a deer caught in headlights

Oh uh.. you know I am quite familiar with that look on my Doctors face and sorry to say in my case it is usually for good reason and no mistake lol. "Did you say two or.. TWELVE cups of coffee?" (he tries to comprehend why I'm still alive lol)

rachelcoffe

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2010
Toronto
Rachelcoffe
It also could be this person did his own mixing and mixed an oil based flavor in.
I'm not so sure we will ever know, and if it's not e-cigs we definitely won't.

I also have been made aware of PG's antibacterial effects, and if you have any links I would love to see them.

Hi earthpig.
PeCrr.gif
I doubt that the guy in question ever mixed flavourings containing non-volatile oils into his e-juices; he would've seen the oils floating on top, refusing to mix no matter how hard he shook it, no matter how long he let it steep - and the burning of the non-volatile oils would have stunk terribly & tasted worse.

But I'm certain that even if the guy had mixed non-volatile oils into his e-juice...they could not have been responsible for his death or the oily crap found in his lungs. It's impossible, because non-volatile oils literally won't vapourize. None of them could make it into the inhaled vapour.

Conversely, we know that tobacco smoke does leave all sorts of crap behind, oily & otherwise. This guy was definitely a smoking fatality.

As for a link on PG, here you go:
Medicine: Air Germicide - TIME

Happy vaping everyone!
FVxh8.gif

JayTheVapingGuy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Halifax, Nova Scotia
.... I am quite familiar with that look on my Doctors face and sorry to say in my case it is usually for good reason and no mistake lol. "Did you say two or.. TWELVE cups of coffee?" (he tries to comprehend why I'm still alive lol)

Try "three cups or three pots of coffee???"" "You only sleep 3-4 hours a day, EVERY DAY??" and "TWO litres of Franks Red Hot Sauce a month??" from my doctor when he was diagnosing my persistant (3 times a day under medication, constant without) migranes...

LOL... who knew??? caffeine and Capsaisin combined in large doses can cause debilitating migraine pain... but then again, i am the guy who ate an overflowing spoonful of Ghost Pepper sauce and ended up riding to the hospital in an ambulance

lazymitch

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2011
Wilsonville, OR
Try "three cups or three pots of coffee???"" "You only sleep 3-4 hours a day, EVERY DAY??" and "TWO litres of Franks Red Hot Sauce a month??" from my doctor when he was diagnosing my persistant (3 times a day under medication, constant without) migranes...

LOL... who knew??? caffeine and Capsaisin combined in large doses can cause debilitating migraine pain... but then again, i am the guy who ate an overflowing spoonful of Ghost Pepper sauce and ended up riding to the hospital in an ambulance

Mmmmmm Ghost Pepper sauce!

Dangit, you're making me hungry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread