IPV3 Charger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tehdarkaura

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2014
CO
Mine stayed green the whole time and I heard a faint buzzing noise if that makes sense. Eventually battery symbol went from around 20% to fully charged and it has worked fine. But as mentioned, I will not use it again because that adapter has been discontinued for quality issues. One more note about the adapter, the 6V setting produces 8.86V but I am not going to chance using a questionable product on my IPV3.

Can you try holding down your fire button for 10 seconds or so as you pop the batteries in? maybe it will show a different firmware revision?

Or maybe the 9V spec is off and the resident "professor of electrical engineering" can find out with a bench power supply that he surely has in his inventory of equipment that even "most manufacturers will never even see"?

You have to remember I am an electrical engineer, and a professor of electrical engineering and I have equipment available to me that most people and manufacturers will never even see.

WeirdWillie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2014
Houston, Texas
One thing is for sure, as is right now, mine doesn't charge, left it on a 2.5a/9vdc all night nothing changed, glad I had a fresh set of new vtc4's charged up.
I'm going to make up a simple 12vdc to 9vdc 1000mA voltage regulated charging unit and replace the one thats in mine, besides then I can make a 12v cigarette lighter plugin for my truck and be able to charge on the on the run also.

tehdarkaura

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2014
CO
good luck with that... I'm not sure I understand the logic of replacing a charging circuit with lm7809 voltage regulator... but hey maybe you know something I dont ;)

Are you counting on the charger board just being a passthrough to the sx330? there is some logic on that board -- I seriously doubt thats the case.

good luck! let us know how it goes *cough* kaboom *cough* ;) -- charging a lipo/lion isn't like charging a NiMH battery -- there is a charge curve you have to follow

If you are taking yours apart again would you measure resistance from the leads to the charger to the corrisponding battery leads please? They could of just attached it to the ground and voltage planes of the board... which would make sense where they don't want you to fire it when on the charger.

Last edited:

Fictitious Character

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2014
USA
Last edited:

tehdarkaura

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2014
CO
interesting... two holes around the power input means they changed the board since the one in mine only has a single led onboard.

This is what the manual was probably talking about with the different colors showing charging status.

maybe they got a better charging circuit and put a touch sensor on the back ... either way I wouldn't look to that for any relevant specs for the current model

tfraley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Seriously,

So what did we all get a beta version or something?
I picked up mine from a local trusted vape shop..

why would P4U put out a bad version of their product, I do not understand this. I've broken the hologram seal trying to figure this all out as well. So i'm sure I can not return it. Almost seems like a bait and switch.. FYI I paid $165 locally for mine, I fine with helping out the local shops but when you don't get what you paid for is not acceptable.

WeirdWillie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2014
Houston, Texas
good luck with that... I'm not sure I understand the logic of replacing a charging circuit with lm7809 voltage regulator... but hey maybe you know something I dont ;)

Are you countiong on the charger board just being a passthrough to the sx330? there is some logic on that board -- I seriously doubt thats the case.

good luck! let us know how it goes *cough* kaboom *cough* ;)

I doubt that there is any logic for the charging on the sx300 the charging circuit does not communicate with the sx330 at all although, it is likely there could be passthrough logic like on the DNA boards

And if you can't understand a simple charging using a lm7809 here is a simple visual aid.

Untitled.jpg

Using this type of setup is nothing new, or magical search around internet I'm sure you will see many variations.

Moletheus

Oct 23, 2011
Charlotte, NC
I really feel for all you guys who bought the release version. I had a feeling that this would happen. I knew charging 2 batteries would be a problem and I was right... Because of the first ego passthroughs, evic's and the iPV2, I have been spoiled and haven't charged my batteries externally for over a year now. To me, it just seems like a hassle when you can do it all on your device. Ill probably never go back to external chargers. I have no idea why people want to vape at 150 watts but I just really wanted the extra battery life. I think I will be waiting until this works properly to buy one.

tehdarkaura

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2014
CO
I doubt that there is any logic for the charging on the sx300 the charging circuit does not communicate with the sx330 at all although, it is likely there could be passthrough logic like on the DNA boards

And if you can't understand a simple charging using a lm7809 here is a simple visual aid.

View attachment 381412

Using this type of setup is nothing new, or magical search around internet I'm sure you will see many variations.

I agree that circuit can be used as a quick and dirty way to charge a NiMH, but you are going to have a really bad time if you try to use that charge a lipo my friend.

I am really not trying to act like a know-it-all -- but that will at best seriously damage your batteries

Please check the results from google when searching for "Simple Lipo Charge Circuit" -- they are nowhere near that simple -- you need to be able to monitor battery voltage and control current based on that voltage -- you can use a microcontroller to do all that -- but for sure not just a 7809 with a few caps on either side.

https://www.google.com/search?q=simple+lipo+charging+circuit&es_sm=122&biw=1083&bih=884&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ueI9VONXy6jIBIahgZAK&ved=0CEIQsAQ

tehdarkaura

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2014
CO
I don't even know what to think of this unit having functioning TS and an extra led light. That is the only place I have seen it. If the TS can work in that unit then it should be working on these units. Feels like a bait and switch beta unit if it is a different unit.

it looks like there is a MCU on the charger board -- but we would need atleast 1 additional wire to send the status of the touch sensor back over to the SX330 -- currently there is only + and - :(

I suspect they had these boxes sitting around and wanted to get rid of them - possibly the charger w/active touch is a different profile so they needed to get them machined differently.

Fictitious Character

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2014
USA
it looks like there is a MCU on the charger board -- but we would need atleast 1 additional wire to send the status of the touch sensor back over to the SX330 -- currently there is only + and - :(

I suspect they had these boxes sitting around and wanted to get rid of them - possibly the charger w/active touch is a different profile so they needed to get them machined differently.

Seems like bait and switch to me. I am waiting to see what eciggity has to say about this one. They are probably tired of me by now.

tehdarkaura

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2014
CO
Version: YH SX330v3.2

Thanks for checking veiox :) thats the same as mine... maybe 9 volts just isn't enough to power the charger board...
F*kit I'll take mine apart again disconnect the charger from the board SX330 board and try a 12v psu and see what it does -- charger doesn't work now anyways right?

Last edited:

Fictitious Character

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2014
USA
Eciggity says
Hello, Vapor Range will be the only one carrying the "Plus" version as they are working with Pioneer4you to get this product out. We don't know what exactly they changed on their plus version but it seems the only thing different is the extra led light and the touch sensor active.

Sorry I should have started a new thread on this.

tehdarkaura

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2014
CO
Well -- as I was digging through my box of power supplies I found a very old variable voltage supply -- It's this same exact one as this ebay listing:
MCM MW18 Universal AC Adapter 120V 60Hz 500mA WOW | eBay

I set it to 9V -- measure with my fluke -- and it reads 13.34VDC -- I plug it in to the IPV3 and the light turns green and stays on -- I measured again using one of the extra plugs and it now read 7.70VDC

this thing is only 500ma output though, so its not going to be the fastest thing -- and that could also be why the voltage is falling so far out of the setting spec.

I'm gonna let it sit on this overnight before I start taking anything apart. Ill stick it out in the mud room just incase though ;)

veiox

Oct 14, 2014
Well -- as I was digging through my box of power supplies I found a very old variable voltage supply -- It's this same exact one as this ebay listing:
MCM MW18 Universal AC Adapter 120V 60Hz 500mA WOW | eBay

I set it to 9V -- measure with my fluke -- and it reads 13.34VDC -- I plug it in to the IPV3 and the light turns green and stays on -- I measured again using one of the extra plugs and it now read 7.70VDC

this thing is only 500ma output though, so its not going to be the fastest thing -- and that could also be why the voltage is falling so far out of the setting spec.

I'm gonna let it sit on this overnight before I start taking anything apart. Ill stick it out in the mud room just incase though ;)

Does it hum/buzz when it is plugged in and charging? Listen right by the port.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread