IPV3 Charger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

veiox

Oct 14, 2014
I have been charging my IPV3 with this old charger I have had for many years:

http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/images/products/detail/sk4249.jpg

I went from about 20% to fully charged within a few hours. I am glad I have the capability to do it but I am not sure if it is a good idea after reading info on charging batteries in series.

I am editing this post to not specify the model because it was discontinued and had issues producing more volts than specified. But at least it confirms my charging port works.

Last edited:

tfraley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
@veiox

It seems your the only one that has gotten theirs to work. Is it possible you can get us a better shot of the specs of the plug? Your running it at 9V correct?

If you can do one more thing for us. Like someone posted before if you hold the power button down (haven't tried it myself, plan on it when I get home) gives you a model number or maybe its a firmware number. could you share that number with us so we can compare if we are all running the same version.

thanks buddy

tfraley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
@wrice4 I have early on the guys name is Denny, He's the one that supplied me with a pic of the charger they are using. However have not gotten any more feed back from him since. I've even went the route of catching him on Skype. Got a one word reply then nothing their as well.

wrice4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2014
Texas
I just emailed P4U, David and Lisa, which are both managers I think. I have talked to both of them before. I just basically said that a lot of people question P4U reliability now after releasing the IPV3 and told them that from "our" (even though I did nothing) findings that the touch sensor was never meant to work, so don't include the sensor part on the case. I also mentioned the charging capabilities don't work. I just basically said there are a lot of people spreading the word of the IPV3 being such a low quality product.

Hopefully with such a negative email, they can address a few things....It was worth a try.

tfraley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
@wrice4

Awesome, I contacted them through their connect page and got a reply from a

Denny Zhang
denny@pioneer4you.com
Sales Manager of Green Leaf

He's who I went back and forth through emails and tried to in Skype. He seemed helpful up until I said I tried a charger and didn't work then seems to drop off the planet . He was forth coming with the charger specs and image but never replied after I got one and didn't work.

Confuzzled1969

ECF Veteran
Sep 6, 2014
Gotebo OK
@wrice4
He's who I went back and forth through emails and tried to in Skype. He seemed helpful up until I said I tried a charger and didn't work then seems to drop off the planet . He was forth coming with the charger specs and image but never replied after I got one and didn't work.

Sounds like an Oh poop moment and he's trying to do damage control now...

veiox

Oct 14, 2014
@veiox

It seems your the only one that has gotten theirs to work. Is it possible you can get us a better shot of the specs of the plug? Your running it at 9V correct?

If you can do one more thing for us. Like someone posted before if you hold the power button down (haven't tried it myself, plan on it when I get home) gives you a model number or maybe its a firmware number. could you share that number with us so we can compare if we are all running the same version.

thanks buddy

I just to point out that although the charger I have works (I have owned this thing for better than 10 years) it has been discontinued by RCA and I will not use it. I found it on Amazon as a discontinued product and the reviews made it clear that it puts out way more voltage then selected. I pulled out my tester and verified that on the 9V setting it was producing 12V. I think that is why it was discontinued because people complained it fried electronics. DO NOT USE IT.

tfraley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
@veiox

Thanks for that update. Makes me wonder about the specs we have been given, or maybe their own chargers are messed up like that.

Could you verify something else does the charge led, light up RED light it states in the manual. We have people who have opened the box and does not look like it would...

Does it just light up green and stay lit ? Rather then turning of after 5 seconds like more of ours.

veiox

Oct 14, 2014
@veiox

Thanks for that update. Makes me wonder about the specs we have been given, or maybe their own chargers are messed up like that.

Could you verify something else does the charge led, light up RED light it states in the manual. We have people who have opened the box and does not look like it would...

Does it just light up green and stay lit ? Rather then turning of after 5 seconds like more of ours.

Mine stayed green the whole time and I heard a faint buzzing noise if that makes sense. Eventually battery symbol went from around 20% to fully charged and it has worked fine. But as mentioned, I will not use it again because that adapter has been discontinued for quality issues. One more note about the adapter, the 6V setting produces 8.86V but I am not going to chance using a questionable product on my IPV3.

wrice4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2014
Texas
I just watched rip trippers new video and it's a first look at the ipv3. He shows the box, and on the back of the box, it specifically says mini USB charging cable, but then the inside said the USB isn't for charging.... Top right
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413306110.040888.jpg

Last edited:

Krizzell

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Las Vegas
If features you mean the touch sensor that's the first thing I turned off on the IPV2 it's useless.They should have just not put it on the box.The charge cable would have been nice but how long will it take to charge two batteries in the unit? I take my batteries out anyway it's faster except on the Hana v3 because you can still vape.

Whistle_Pig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2010
Littleton, CO, U.S.
I just to point out that although the charger I have works (I have owned this thing for better than 10 years) it has been discontinued by RCA and I will not use it. I found it on Amazon as a discontinued product and the reviews made it clear that it puts out way more voltage then selected. I pulled out my tester and verified that on the 9V setting it was producing 12V. I think that is why it was discontinued because people complained it fried electronics. DO NOT USE IT.

And is that voltage under load? Not saying that unit is just fine, just noting that there are wall-warts that will indeed put out higher than rated voltage, just checking them with a meter. I have some of those around somplace -- actually didn't believe it myself when somebody told me that, until I tried it myself.

veiox

Oct 14, 2014
And is that voltage under load? Not saying that unit is just fine, just noting that there are wall-warts that will indeed put out higher than rated voltage, just checking them with a meter. I have some of those around somplace -- actually didn't believe it myself when somebody told me that, until I tried it myself.

That was on a meter and not under load.

Last edited:

Adrian Ludvik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Ocala, Florida, United States
I have been charging my IPV3 with this old charger I have had for many years:

http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/images/products/detail/sk4249.jpg

I went from about 20% to fully charged within a few hours. I am glad I have the capability to do it but I am not sure if it is a good idea after reading info on charging batteries in series.

I am editing this post to not specify the model because it was discontinued and had issues producing more volts than specified. But at least it confirms my charging port works.

Thanks for giving us hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread