WeirdWillie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2014
Houston, Texas
@veiox

Interesting
Makes me wonder about trying a higher Voltage. My 9Vdc plug is sitting at 9.27

Are you also using a regulated, Constant current charger?
Mine wont charge at all I've tried 9v1/1.5/2A 12v1A/2.5A
LED lights up green but thats it, left it on 9v 2A all night no change, had to put fresh charged vtc4's off my nitecore in it this morning.

Confuzzled1969

ECF Veteran
Sep 6, 2014
Gotebo OK
OK, I feel the need to offer all of us a word of caution in any device that has not been proven to have a balanced charging circuit.

Don't take my word for it, please research this thoroughly, on your own. Here is but one of many reputable sources on batteries and aspects of batteries... Basic to Advanced Battery Information from Battery University

Lithium Ion cells have a critical charge voltage, "usually" it is 4.2 volts max and has a typical tolerance of + or - 0.05 volts. Overcharging, or charging above the reccomended voltage, is the most common associated cause of failure in these cells.

I can find no evidence for or against the IPV3 having a balanced charging circuit. If it does, that means that the charging circuit regulates the voltage on each cell individually and keeps the voltage at a safe range for each cell individually. If it isn't balanced, and it is just arbitrarily applying twice the charge voltage, (8.4 volts) to both cells combined, it is a very bad idea. Which totally explains why the manufacturer did NOT include a power cord for the device.

If it is unbalanced and simply supplying 8.4 volts, and if one of the cells has a slightly higher internal resistance, it will get a higher voltage drop than the other cell. While in the beginning the difference will be small, as time goes on, the natural aging process of the cells will cause the internal resistance of the cell to get higher and higher untill the cell with the higher internal resistance is dropping a high enough voltage that the cell is being over charged and at best results in cell failure. At worst, it results in thermal runaway of the cell and resluts in what is typically called an explosion.

If you charge each cell in a "battery charger" which by design, regulates the charge voltage of each cell to the proper voltage, the difference in internal resisstance in each cell should decay at similar levels, and the minor differences are not compounded as they are in a series charged, unbalanced system.

The small amount of difference from one cell to the next is thus minimized by a balanced charging circuit such as is in a battery charger.

WeirdWillie, you may be a EE, but venting and exploding batteries are in fact dangerous and do cause fires all the time. The reason a bomb explodes is that the expression of power is contained to a point that what ever is containing it fails, the failure is usually violent.

Take a small firecracker, we've all unwrapped them and lit the poweder up, it just fizzles right. Contain that in a mere wrapping of paper and it becomes an explosion.

Now consider We are holding metal tubes and boxes in our hand at close distances to our face. This metal is substaintially more structurally stong than a paper wrapper, if a battery vents inside one of these devices, it is possible, it will explode and cause injury. And it very well may cause you to burn your house down.

Like I said, don't take my word for it, educate yourself. But as a professional who deals with series batteries on a daily basis, I am not trusting a Chinese made system to keep me safe or pay for my families needs. They left the power cord out for some reason, and expense is not it. They are Chinese, they can make them cheap.

Good luck trying to sue them, our courts have no jurisdiction over there...

I will be charging my batteries in a battery charger and installing them in the IPV3.

And I really hope no one gets hurt.

Last edited:

Fictitious Character

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2014
USA
Eva from P4U just emailed me back and coughed up a pic of the charger spec and said they are 10 usd through them. I hope the pic is big enough as I am not sure what coding put them in full sized frame.

ipv3 charger.jpg

Krizzell

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Las Vegas
OK, I feel the need to offer all of us a word of caution in any device that has not been proven to have a balanced charging circuit.

Don't take my word for it, please research this thoroughly, on your own. Here is but one of many reputable sources on batteries and aspects of batteries... Basic to Advanced Battery Information from Battery University

Lithium Ion cells have a critical charge voltage, "usually" it is 4.2 volts max and has a typical tolerance of + or - 0.05 volts. Overcharging, or charging above the reccomended voltage, is the most common associated cause of failure in these cells.

I can find no evidence for or against the IPV3 having a balanced charging circuit. If it does, that means that the charging circuit regulates the voltage on each cell individually and keeps the voltage at a safe range for each cell individually. If it isn't balanced, and it is just arbitrarily applying twice the charge voltage, (8.4 volts) to both cells combined, it is a very bad idea. Which totally explains why the manufacturer did NOT include a power cord for the device.

If it is unbalanced and simply supplying 8.4 volts, and if one of the cells has a slightly higher internal resistance, it will get a higher voltage drop than the other cell. While in the beginning the difference will be small, as time goes on, the natural aging process of the cells will cause the internal resistance of the cell to get higher and higher untill the cell with the higher internal resistance is dropping a high enough voltage that the cell is being over charged and at best results in cell failure. At worst, it results in thermal runaway of the cell and resluts in what is typically called an explosion.

If you charge each cell in a "battery charger" which by design, regulates the charge voltage of each cell to the proper voltage, the difference in internal resisstance in each cell should decay at similar levels, and the minor differences are not compounded as they are in a series charged, unbalanced system.

The small amount of difference from one cell to the next is thus minimized by a balanced charging circuit such as is in a battery charger.

WeirdWillie, you may be a EE, but venting and exploding batteries are in fact dangerous and do cause fires all the time. The reason a bomb explodes is that the expression of power is contained to a point that what ever is containing it fails, the failure is usually violent.

Take a small firecracker, we've all unwrapped them and lit the poweder up, it just fizzles right. Contain that in a mere wrapping of paper and it becomes an explosion.

Now consider We are holding metal tubes and boxes in our hand at close distances to our face. This metal is substaintially more structurally stong than a paper wrapper, if a battery vents inside one of these devices, it is possible, it will explode and cause injury. And it very well may cause you to burn your house down.

Like I said, don't take my word for it, educate yourself. But as a professional who deals with series batteries on a daily basis, I am not trusting a Chinese made system to keep me safe or pay for my families needs. They left the power cord out for some reason, and expense is not it. They are Chinese, they can make them cheap.

Good luck trying to sue them, our courts have no jurisdiction over there...

I will be charging my batteries in a battery charger and installing them in the IPV3.

And I really hope no one gets hurt.

Thank you !!! If you don't know what you are doing why F%^& with it when all you have to do is use a charger...Maybe the reason
Sigelei
did not put a charge port on theirs. I would trust my charger more than trying a mickey mouse third party charge cable on mine. :vapor:

lot17ss

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2013
Columbus,Ohio Usa

Fictitious Character

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2014
USA
So did she supply a link to purchase?

Waiting for a reply. All she said was it can be purchased through them with a price. It is not on their site nor have I seen it on their fb pages.

Her reply
NOPE, dear. moq is 10pcs

Want her email?

Last edited:

Confuzzled1969

ECF Veteran
Sep 6, 2014
Gotebo OK
Thank you !!! If you don't know what you are doing why F%^& with it when all you have to do is use a charger...Maybe the reason
Sigelei
did not put a charge port on theirs. I would trust my charger more than trying a mickey mouse third party charge cable on mine. :vapor:

You are quite welcome fellow vaper. I hope I didn't offend anyone, but I have seen enough battery failures that did not hurt anyone; mainly because battery spaces are typically unmanned, that I felt compelled to at least attempt to make a strong statement on this subject.

Even if it offends 100 people and only one person is spared a burn that is only equivalent to sunburn... I'm OK with that...

tfraley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Eva from P4U just emailed me back and coughed up a pic of the charger spec and said they are 10 usd through them. I hope the pic is big enough as I am not sure what coding put them in full sized frame.

View attachment 381892

It's funny looks like a different plug then the image they sent me and I listed in the beginning of the thread...

That being said looks like a regulated 9VDC 2A charger.. i've tried everything from 1.5a down maybe not enough current to keep it going but seems other have had luck with less.

seems strange..

Adrian Ludvik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Ocala, Florida, United States
I'm probably going to order the "official" charger from eciggity once they get it. I'm not in a huge rush and I have store credit. I do wonder if the people who have chargers that aren't working for them are taking into polarity into consideration. It's not something I've seen much mention of in this thread.

Also, can anyone tell me what size plug the port takes?

Adrian Ludvik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Ocala, Florida, United States
@Adrian Ludvik

Polarity is a given (center +)
It's not that its not working at all we get it to light for 5-15 seconds then turns off.
It seems their are a lot of us having the issue, I wonder if it's a set batch or something.

I hope it's not. I'm one of the multiple people rocking the W0285 serial, and something tells me that isn't a good thing.

wrice4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2014
Texas
I would NOT trust that charger. 2A? Wasn't someone just telling me that in a regular charger you shouldn't charge 18650's @ 2A? Why the hell would a Chinese-made box be a safer alternative to a Luc or a Nitecore, which at least monitors battery temps..

My charger can charge at .5a and 1a. I have read that only higher amp batteries, like the VTC5, should ever be even charged at 1a because that a lot of current going through at once. I don't know much about the charging side of things, but 2a seems a little steep.....Couldn't that be dangerous? I am perfectly fine with unscrewing the box and charging the batteries once or twice a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread