Is e-juice supposed to be harsh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeadTheWay256

Jan 1, 2014
Colorado
Hey everyone, I'm new to vaping, and smoke hookah. My first vaporizer was a Vapor Blends. So far, I've hated it. It clogs up, and burns my throat. The e-juice I bought for it is harsh, and burns my throat, and after a couple months, I can't stop coughing from it. Is e-juice supposed to be harsh? I'm planning on buying a Smoktech SID this week, and I'm wondering what a good E-Juice brand is, or what flavored are good as well. Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

j3illy

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2013
MA
The higher the nicotine content, the more harshness you may perceive from it. But different flavors are all gonna have varying deliveries and thoat-hits, even at the same nicotine strength. The Mountain Dew flavor I vape has a really noticeable kick to it on the throat-hit, and a lot of ppl may consider it harsh. But then the blueberry / vanilla ice-cream flavor I vape is much more mellow on the delivery w/ no kick, but rather a tasty smoothness. To get the full e-cig experience you really should have at least a couple flavors to switch between, not to mention another clearomizer that doesn't clog up like you're describing. You can get some very reasonably priced gear w/ all the clones out there, and it's so cheap that you can spend $5 and get a few extra clearo's.

Reactions: Stevejones92

Hellspeaker

Dec 27, 2013
Georgia
Honestly, and this is just my personal opinion. I found an Innokin iTaste MVP 2.0 kit, which is battery/tank/charger for $40.49, free shipping also. I would shoot for something similar as the MVP is reliable and has huge battery life so you don't have to worry about it going dead very often. As far as harshness, typically juices higher in the pg content will have a more harsh throat hit. I usually go for a 50/50 blend, they still have some what of a nice throat hit but not too harsh. Also nicotine content has a lot to do with the throat hit also. I hope you find something to fit your needs and keep vaping! :D

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hi LeadTheWay256 and welcome to ECF. As j3illy said, nicotine causes harshness, what we call throat hit. Many people like that, but it should not make you cough. And you can buy juices with various amounts of nic in them.

I don't know Vapor Blends' hardware or juice. Is this what you bought? That's a small eGo type battery and some type of clearomizer on top of it that you put the juice into. The clearo will get dirty with use, gunked up from vaping, and you'll have to clean it regularly or it will burn the juice and become harsh. They are also considered disposable, but will last a while if taken care of well.

If that's your hardware a dirty clearo might be most of your problem.

LeadTheWay256

Jan 1, 2014
Colorado
Hi LeadTheWay256 and welcome to ECF. As j3illy said, nicotine causes harshness, what we call throat hit. Many people like that, but it should not make you cough. And you can buy juices with various amounts of nic in them.

I don't know Vapor Blends' hardware or juice. Is this what you bought? That's a small eGo type battery and some type of clearomizer on top of it that you put the juice into. The clearo will get dirty with use, gunked up from vaping, and you'll have to clean it regularly or it will burn the juice and become harsh. They are also considered disposable, but will last a while if taken care of well.

If that's your hardware a dirty clearo might be most of your problem.

That's what I bought, and ive been disappointed with them. How do I clean one?

j3illy

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2013
MA
If it clogged up that fast on you, I'd consider that it may be an issue w/ your juice. I have a CE4 that has had about 20 mL vaped thru it, still tastes fine and I've never had to clean it. But it's been all very thin/light juice, which is the most hassle-free to vape. When you're dealing w/ thicker probably darker juices, frequent cleaning becomes a necessity.

RubyRoo

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Colorado Springs, CO
If you are getting a SID, then you need to invest in better tanks. I recommend, Kanger Protank 2, the Protank Mini 2, the iClear 16, the iClear 30. These are all going to be miles better than your current POS CE4 tank. You can get all of these tanks, and replacement heads at DiscountVapers - Your source for savings on electronic cigarettes and accessories, Go-go eGo, vGo.

The harshness of your vape can come from too high of nic level, too much PG in your mix, and a burnt out coil head. Get some good tanks, with replaceable heads, and some decent, American made e-liquid. Happy vaping to you!

Exil1986

Jan 2, 2014
Pennsylvania
Like everyone else said the nicotine amount plays a big roll in the burn. My girlfriend and I both smoked full flavor cigs so we got 24mg nicotine in our first liquids because we were told that is the equivalent to full flavors. But they burned our throats so much that we were both coughing every few hits from the liquid. Luckily the B&M store we bought them from let us trade them back and get 8mg nicotine ones. We haven't had any issues with the new juices since we switched. And we are both fine with the lower nicotine levels. I expected with such a drop in nicotine that it would leave me craving more but it is working out great for us both.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Reasons for Harsh hits...
Hi nicotine levels (but thats relative, some feel 18nic is high, I find 36nic hi)
Hi PG percentages ( I have a rough time with 20/80 mixes normally do 100VG)
Low temp settings ( nic vaporizes at 200 degrees F, VG/PG at 320 F, quite possible to vaporize just nic at low temp)
and finally just plain and simple... poorly made juice with weird flavor additives ( Habenero Hell for example)

sevinn

Jan 20, 2014
Denver
I personally have been using the Vape-it brand e-cigs and juices and have loved them. My roomate uses E-go, which are cheaper, and their flavors are usually pretty good too, plus I don't notice a huge burn with his devices. So I like both of these brands, they are affordable ($20-$45 for the whole set up, $3-$5 for the juice, except premium flavors for Vape-it run up to $15). Below is my experience with vapor-blends.

I stopped into a smoker friendly store the other day and saw Vapor-Blends E-Juice. I usually buy a bottle of about the same size for $5 from the Vape-it store, but since I was there, I thought I might as well try it, at a much higher price of $7.99, just for the convenience of not having to drive across town. The flavor I purchased was Pina Colada. I have used maybe 1/8 of a bottle and have to say, this is the most foul thing I have ever experienced. The first few puffs were all right, slightly sweet with a kind of chapstick flavor, but not bad. Within 50 puffs, it just tasted like burnt wax, no sweetness, just nastiness. I tried changing out my wick, with the exact same results. I am very disappointed. With the price you are charging, the flavor should maintain it's fullness for the life of use, not change into a vile concoction that then has to be cleaned from my e-cig. Now I am stuck with an almost full bottle of something I will never use, and would never consider passing along even to my worst enemy.

Tabfreejon

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2014
Littleton, Co
Ok so, I bought exactly the same kit from SF.What's more, I also bought a couple of the Vapor Blends fruit juices and I had exactly the same thoughts as you. Is this what these juices are meant to taste like? Haven't been impressed but I have stayed off the analogs.

Then I tried a few pulls on a friends ego/evod with some decent juice. It was like night and day and that was just in an evod.

Don't let awful juice deter you. Get a decent tank and some highly rated juice.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Harshness has 3 main factors
Nicotine level
PG %
Burnt wick/coil

A high nic lvl can cause a burn in the throat and mouth kinda peppery
PG, altho designed to increase flavor, has a tendancy to increase throat hit
A burnt wick/coil wont absorb juice as quickly as a clean setup and gives a rather unpleasant taste

Solutions: Lower your nic lvl, Go Higher on the VG%, Clean/replace your coil/wick

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
I personally have been using the Vape-it brand e-cigs and juices and have loved them. My roomate uses E-go, which are cheaper, and their flavors are usually pretty good too, plus I don't notice a huge burn with his devices. So I like both of these brands, they are affordable ($20-$45 for the whole set up, $3-$5 for the juice, except premium flavors for Vape-it run up to $15). Below is my experience with vapor-blends.

I stopped into a smoker friendly store the other day and saw Vapor-Blends E-Juice. I usually buy a bottle of about the same size for $5 from the Vape-it store, but since I was there, I thought I might as well try it, at a much higher price of $7.99, just for the convenience of not having to drive across town. The flavor I purchased was Pina Colada. I have used maybe 1/8 of a bottle and have to say, this is the most foul thing I have ever experienced. The first few puffs were all right, slightly sweet with a kind of chapstick flavor, but not bad. Within 50 puffs, it just tasted like burnt wax, no sweetness, just nastiness. I tried changing out my wick, with the exact same results. I am very disappointed. With the price you are charging, the flavor should maintain it's fullness for the life of use, not change into a vile concoction that then has to be cleaned from my e-cig. Now I am stuck with an almost full bottle of something I will never use, and would never consider passing along even to my worst enemy.

Certain flavors increase "Vapor Tounge" the loss of taste when continually tasting something. The sense of smell does the same thing, your nose quits smelling a consistant odor. ( The Old Lady perfume paradox)

jrenae4

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2013
ES, MD
Reasons for Harsh hits...
Hi nicotine levels (but thats relative, some feel 18nic is high, I find 36nic hi)
Hi PG percentages ( I have a rough time with 20/80 mixes normally do 100VG)
Low temp settings ( nic vaporizes at 200 degrees F, VG/PG at 320 F, quite possible to vaporize just nic at low temp)
and finally just plain and simple... poorly made juice with weird flavor additives ( Habenero Hell for example)

I'm glad someone mentioned PG ratio. I remember being SO DEVASTATED when I finally got my kit and vaped the juice that came with it and thought I was literally going to die and maybe e-cigs would not be a viable option for me. After some research I upped the VG, and still use like 12-18 mg nic. That harshness has gone, and e-cigs are indeed a viable option! Don't get discouraged! I'd start with atleast a 50/50 PG/VG mix and go up from there...personally I don't like to do any more than 30PG. That doesn't seem to bother me. Good luck!

Rhiterra

Jan 20, 2014
United States
I use to have this same issue. Every time i vaped my e juice would burn my throat and it almost made me stopped vaping. Everyone kept telling me to lower my nic level but i didnt want to waste the juice i already had. after some research i realized i was vaping the same way i use to smoke. instead of taking it strait into your lungs, hold the vapor in your mouth a few seconds and if you wish to inhale then do so after you hold it for a bit, it reduces the harshness and after awhile it shouldn't hurt at all.

TheReign

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2013
Kaua'i - Nevada
mt baker vapor you can choose your ratio of pg/vg depending on your liking. they also have a ridiculous choice of juices to go through for the best prices i've found yet on the market. and velvet cloud vapor has all vg blends but damn their juices are like the tastiest organic stuff i've tried yet. almost scared to try anything else haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread