is it safe to use un-regulated squonk box for a begginer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
Im startin to vaping like 2 month,for now I had battlestar 200w with druga,and avocado

I really get hooked up by druga and found out it compatible with squonk
and I saw the arnageddon squonk box is rad and affordable (15$)

I vape using Ni80 awg 24 and using it as single coil on my rda
(I know its dual coil rda but I dont like dual coil and my entheon is on the way)
on 35-45 watts and found it all good on my battlestar

and now the question

if I bought un-regulated squonk box how Im gonna change the wattage and all?

is there any chance it will explode if Im chain vaping?

That's all for now

Thanks

Reactions: stols001

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
With an unregulated mod, the only way to "change the wattage" is by using a different coil.

By chain vaping at 35-40 watts? No, not if you're using a battery that's appropriately rated for that much power.

But all bets are off if make some error that shorts out your atty.

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
and now the question

With unregulated, your variables are the native battery output (someone much more knowledgeable than me will come along and correct me if I am wrong, which according to my wife is about 80 to 85% of the time) and the wire. You basically adjust the taste of the mech mod by size and wrap of the coil and you have to play with it to find your personal preference. What tastes good to me may not taste good to you but I'd start with 28g kanthal and move around from there. Mech require a little more knowledge but with some common sense are relatively safe.

FYI, Explosions with vaping generally come from shorts in the connection between the atty and the battery and are not common on squonkers (though if improperly adjusted, can still be a hazard). Read up on ohm's law and the way an atty sits in a mod for more info. Explosions with vaping are rare. They are the ones that make the papers. No one ever wrote a national news article that said "Enjoyed a vape, nothing else happened"

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
Mech mods, squonk or no, are as safe as you make them. They also perform as well as you "make" them. Knowing electrical characteristics, heat characteristics of wire, battery characteristics, etc. is key to a good mech experience. I'm no vape tutor. I've come to understand it would be fruitless to try to explain all of this in my terms and expect other's to connect. Hang in there! There are some really sharp folks here with a lot of mech experience that can get you started if that is what you want. Just understand it isn't as easy as toss in a coil and a battery, hit the button and vape.

With an unregulated mod, the only way to "change the wattage" is by using a different coil.

By chain vaping at 35-40 watts? No, not if you're using a battery that's appropriately rated for that much power.

But all bets are off if make some error that shorts out your atty.
With unregulated, your variables are the native battery output (someone much more knowledgeable than me will come along and correct me if I am wrong, which according to my wife is about 80 to 85% of the time) and the wire. You basically adjust the taste of the mech mod by size and wrap of the coil and you have to play with it to find your personal preference. What tastes good to me may not taste good to you but I'd start with 28g kanthal and move around from there. Mech require a little more knowledge but with some common sense are relatively safe.

FYI, Explosions with vaping generally come from shorts in the connection between the atty and the battery and are not common on squonkers (though if improperly adjusted, can still be a hazard). Read up on ohm's law and the way an atty sits in a mod for more info. Explosions with vaping are rare. They are the ones that make the papers. No one ever wrote a national news article that said "Enjoyed a vape, nothing else happened"
Mech mods, squonk or no, are as safe as you make them. They also perform as well as you "make" them. Knowing electrical characteristics, heat characteristics of wire, battery characteristics, etc. is key to a good mech experience. I'm no vape tutor. I've come to understand it would be fruitless to try to explain all of this in my terms and expect other's to connect. Hang in there! There are some really sharp folks here with a lot of mech experience that can get you started if that is what you want. Just understand it isn't as easy as toss in a coil and a battery, hit the button and vape.

true bro,.... can happen,I mean even mobile phone can explode,ok I guess Im gonna give a try this armageddon squonk,with low wattage single coil and good battery I hope its will not let me down

Thanks for all the guide and answer,I'ts really help me :)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Honestly, there are regulated squonkers out there, some of them fairly high quality. I'm not sure I'd start using a mech as a squonker personally, the whole idea of a squonker (to me anyway) is that you can safely take it out of the house and use it during the day. With that said, there are certainly many folks using mechanical squonkers, safely, and they do take them with them.

The main thing you will need to know is not overstressing your battery (and you should know enough about ohm's law to calculate that out for yourself, not just accepting a recommendation from someone else) as well as keeping your batteries in good shape, and if there are any particular concerns with your device. Squonkers can have them, I almost got a mech squonker but found out that there were serious, sometimes fatal, issues with the switch. That's not something I'm prepared to deal with is as an end user, and so I would say DO YOUR research and do it thoroughly, including for your device.

Your coil and battery output will determine the vape, yes, also batteries need to be inspected every time to check for any issues with the wrap or battery itself.

With a that said, I think there are certainly folks using mechanical squonkers, having a good vape experience, and etc. To me, the very idea of a battery sitting next to a bottle of juice makes me a bit leery. While I don't find many of the regulated squonkers on the market as appealing and they may well be more expensive, it would behoove you to also take a look at regulated squonkers, what they offer, and see if anything appeals to you. Etc. Although I'm not saying you can't make it work, but doing your homework is also necessary and etc.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Anna

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
Really a regulated device is a false sense of security they can explode if faulty. Remember most are made in china.
To stay safe using a mechanical:
Understand OHMs Law and battery safety
Use a smart charger like a Xtar that will let you know if you have a faulty battery.
You are on your own if vaping lower than 0.3Ω.
Select a device that you can lock out the "ON" switch.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
If you're interested in squonking but you're wary of the safety implications of using a mechanical mod with no built-in safety features, you might want to look into a regulated squonker. There are some good ones that (a) make you build your coils as if they were going to be used on a mech and (b) don't make you pay for a dumb mistake with fireworks.

The Eleaf Pico Squeeze is one. The Wismec Luxotic is another. Both of these have protections for low battery cutoff, short circuit/low resistance and reverse battery polarity. The Squeeze is limited to 50 Watts and the Luxotic is limited to 80.

One of my squonkers is a mech. I have two Pico Squeezes though and I like them a lot.

First pic is the Stentorian RAM. Second is the Squeeze with a Wasp Nano.
StentorianRAM.jpg

20180421_120530.jpg

Vapefiend

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Connecticut
May I suggest a Reo squonker. Fully mechanical and the switch can be locked off and in the event you have a short, the negative contact (a spring) will collapse and drop the battery away from the positive contact rendering you safe and your mod out of commission until you replace the spring ($5 fix) and fix your short. In all reality you just need to understand coils, your atomizer, your battery, and use an ohm reader religiously. Coil calculators work wonders helping you find your sweet spot and have presets for most batteries. You can even experiment with heatflux to give you that cool warm or hot vape you’re after. Steam engine is a good one.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You can certainly learn the necessary skills to use an unregulated squonker safely.

There is quite a bit to learn, and I generally wouldn't suggest starting out with one. There are some decent regulated squonkers on the market, you may want to look for one of those, while you are learning the necessary skills to use an unregulated mod.

It's not that it's so very difficult, but it can be a lot to absorb at once. You'll need to learn how to build and install your own coils, and that requires knowledge of steam-engine.org and etc.

Also you'll need to understand all about battery safety, making sure you get authentic batteries and etc. Here's some "light reading" on that:

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/blogs/mooch.256958/

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/blog-entry/baditudes-blogs.7609/

You'll need to understand how to care for your batteries and etc. You'll need to understand how to calculate the resistance of the coils you build and whether they are safe with your batter(ies) or not. You'll need to know ohm's law for that.

You'll need to learn how to be CONSISTENT, meaning that you check everything, double check it, consistently turn off or remove the batter(ies) from your squonk in transit unless it has certain protections.

It's not that you can't learn this stuff, in all seriousness, you can. It just can be a ton to absorb all at once, if new to vaping, but if you feel you have the "right stuff" well, that's up to you. I was pretty braindead when switching to vaping, I think the last thing I would have wanted would be an unregulated squonker.

With that said, folks do get one and sometimes early on in the vaping process. It's up to you whether you have the skill level to do all this without errors. Because make no mistake, an error with an unregulated squonk can be much more catastrophic than an error with a regulated mod, that has built in protections.

Since regulated squonkers do exist, I see no reason not to start with one, and start learning all the skills you need for a mech as you go. It's really much safer, and depending on your vaping style, you may even enjoy it more.

However, if you feel that you can do it, keep asking ALL your questions on your thread, until you feel sufficiently "versed" in what is necessary.

Regulated mods are great, if you ask me. I have a couple mechs and I haven't vaped them yet and probably would never take one out of the house, and I can do a lot of this stuff. But, there is nothing "inferior" about a regulated mod, especially in the beginning when a mistake could be quite costly.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Anna

• Useful
Reactions: Baditude

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I think there are certainly folks using mechanical squonkers, having a good vape experience, and etc.
With that said, folks do get one and sometimes early on in the vaping process.
Yep, I'm one such person. But several decades ago, in what now seems like another life, I designed and built power supplies for stuff like electrostatic precipitators (thousands of volts!) and vacuum furnaces (thousands of amps!). The input to them was generally 480V 3-phase. So pulling a few tens of amps from a 4.2V battery doesn't bother me at all. :D

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Two other points. Be sure to use something like Steam Engine or another ohms law calculator so you have an idea what you're wrapping and always measure the resistance of your final build to be sure the resistance is correct.

Agree and would add the final check of resistance should be with the cap on to make sure there is not any wire touching the cap. I learned this the hard way with a very small build deck.

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
Really a regulated device is a false sense of security they can explode if faulty. Remember most are made in china.

Anecdotal but i've seen more exploded Smok sticks than I have all mechanical mods combined.

I wouldn't get a cheap mechanical though. Because it's only as safe as you make it, using something shoddy takes more control out of your hands.

I'd start with something like the Pulse Squonker. Where it's really well built and has a switch but remains incredibly cheap. And the voltage drop is like a bonus safety feature, huehue.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread