Is it safe to vape a FAKE Mech mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRVaporizer

Dec 15, 2018
Latvia
Hello,

So I've been holding onto regulated devices for quite a time now, and finally decided to buy a mech mod. I always buy my vapes online, cause the local stores sell them for 100%-150% more than it costs on the internet. The main buying place is at Aliexpress. Searched for some mods and came across the Apocalypse Gen2 and RIG V3. Couldn't get any on Aliexpress and tried Ebay. The thing is ALL of them are replicas. The price is also great! Around 20-30$. Should I skip the fakes and get the real deal somewhere else? Won't this be my last time vaping?

Edit: Finally found an Authentic version of the Gen 2 on Aliexpress. Huge thanks for the support!

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
A named clone by a reputable maker is different than a counterfeit that claims to be the "real" item.
Many clones are of equal or superior quality compared to the originals.
Who is the manufacturer of the device(s) you found?
What advantage(s) do you hope to realize with a "mech mod"?

Where are you located? Please add that information to your profile.

Cheers
I

MRVaporizer

Dec 15, 2018
Latvia
A named clone by a reputable maker is different than a counterfeit that claims to be the "real" item.
Many clones are of equal or superior quality compared to the originals.
Who is the manufacturer of the device(s) you found?
What advantage(s) do you hope to realize with a "mech mod"?

Where are you located? Please add that information to your profile.

Cheers
I
Updated the info :p.
Well the mech is "Unbranded/Generic", so I can't say for sure.
This is the link:
Apocalypse GEN2 18650 MOD Kit 510 Thread 24mm Vape FREE SHIPPING US IN STOCK | eBay

I saw some reviews of the clone on Youtube, but again, the manufacturers might be different, so i don't know. It's not ventilated either, so I guess I'll drill my own holes.

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
Replicas = manufacturer puts his own name on the product = accountability = reputation
Counterfeit = manufacturer doesn't put his own name on the product = zero accountability

"Clone" can be any of these... and a mech mod is probably the 2nd last thing on earth I'd buy as a "clone". 1st last thing would be a counterfeit Smok stick.

MRVaporizer

Dec 15, 2018
Latvia
Replicas = manufacturer puts his own name on the product = accountability = reputation
Counterfeit = manufacturer doesn't put his own name on the product = zero accountability

"Clone" can be any of these... and a mech mod is probably the 2nd last thing on earth I'd buy as a "clone". 1st last thing would be a counterfeit Smok stick.
I guess it counts as a counterfeit, since its selling as a branded mod. Thank you. :)

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
(seriously, this isn't even worth consideration)

I have some understanding for people who buy a replica of a super-expensive RTA or something.. but a counterfeit mech mod??? Isn't your health worth the extra $10 you'd spend on the original?

Last edited:

MRVaporizer

Dec 15, 2018
Latvia
(seriously, this isn't even worth consideration)

I have some understanding for people who buy a replica of a super-expensive RTA or something.. but a counterfeit mech mod??? Isn't your health worth the extra $10 you'd spend on the original?
As I mentioned, I haven't tried any other website besides Aliexpress for ordering vapes. I'm open for discussion and recommendations. I'm looking for the real deal. ;)

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
As I mentioned, I haven't tried any other website besides Aliexpress for ordering vapes. I'm open for discussion and recommendations. I'm looking for the real deal. ;)
I love ordering from Ali. Most manufacturers have their own stores there, and there are lots of authorised vendors as well. Ali can be a great source for bargains. However, I'm not the person to recommend anything geared towards mech mods. I'm just not.

MRVaporizer

Dec 15, 2018
Latvia
I love ordering from Ali. Most manufacturers have their own stores there, and there are lots of authorised vendors as well. Ali can be a great source for bargains. However, I'm not the person to recommend anything geared towards mech mods. I'm just not.
Any preferred mech mods you could recommend?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Generally with a clone mech the manufacturing is tougher and the materials are of lower quality. There is an obsession in the mech market with minimum possible voltage drop. This often means parts are made of silver. It also mean very high prices. A clone will likely have a larger voltage drop but that doesn’t make it unsafe necessarily.

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
Generally with a clone mech the manufacturing is tougher and the materials are of lower quality. There is an obsession in the mech market with minimum possible voltage drop. This often means parts are made of silver. It also mean very high prices. A clone will likely have a larger voltage drop but that doesn’t make it unsafe necessarily.
Someone mentioned it already: OP's link went to a counterfeit mech mod (kit) that has no ventilation holes. That is a safety issue. Pipe bombs work on the same principle as those tubes ^^

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
What about these guys? They are an ECF supplier and have clones on offer.

Please note, I am not affiliated with them, know little about them, and am NO mech expert.

https://www.focalecig.com/

I was looking at their site and it looked interesting.

I think there is a difference between a "counterfeit" mod on Aliexpress with absolutely nothing tied to it versus a cloned mod that may still be pretty good quality. Etc. What exactly that difference will get you (or not) is totally up in the air, if you ask me.

I've bought cloned tanks, but never a regulated mod even to the best of my knowledge.

Anna

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
Mechanical mods are mechanical... there's nothing hidden behind a chip or anything. You need to approach it like you would any mech mod and evaluate the build quality and firing mechanisms.

There are some 1:1 clones, and there are some clones that are well built and safe... and then there are others that are pipe bombs in disguise.

Regardless of whether it's a clone or not, you need to be diligent. If you can't find detailed pictures showing the firing mechanism, the inside of the tube, and the connections; I wouldn't feel safe buying it.

MRVaporizer

Dec 15, 2018
Latvia
Those folks will gladly help you
Mech Mods
Thanks! Will look into! ;)
OP's link went to a counterfeit mech mod (kit) that has no ventilation holes. That is a safety issue. Pipe bombs work on the same principle as those tubes ^^
This is concerning me really much with these mods. If the mod has no vent holes, should I drill my own? I did small amount of research and people recommend drilling them as large as possible and closer to the mech button on the sides.

• Optimistic

MRVaporizer

Dec 15, 2018
Latvia
What about these guys? They are an ECF supplier and have clones on offer.

Please note, I am not affiliated with them, know little about them, and am NO mech expert.

https://www.focalecig.com/

I was looking at their site and it looked interesting.

I think there is a difference between a "counterfeit" mod on Aliexpress with absolutely nothing tied to it versus a cloned mod that may still be pretty good quality. Etc. What exactly that difference will get you (or not) is totally up in the air, if you ask me.

I've bought cloned tanks, but never a regulated mod even to the best of my knowledge.

Anna
Thank you! Pretty interesting mods. Also the shipping is €3, so that's perfect.

Also, I actually found a seller on Aliexpress that is selling the real version of the Gen 2. Almost lost all hope.

• Optimistic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread