Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Diamond

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
North Texas
Hey Guys

I have been vaping & analog free now for over two years.
I have several regulated (VV/VW) mods, but I know the trend in the vaping world is now for mech mods.
I must admit, they are beautiful, with their silver, gold, and copper finishes.
However ...
I enjoy my single coil tanks and never go above 7.5 watts when vaping.
Is there any reason I should consider a mechanical mod?

Last edited:

Dissonance

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2013
Dayton, OH, USA
I would say no.

I really wouldn't recommend a mechanical mod to anyone who didn't build their own coils and sub ohm safely. If you want the "mechanical" experience, get a VV mod that can read how much battery you have left and set your voltage to that readout. From the sounds of it, a mechanical would actually make your vaping experience worse.

Necrotic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
Lawrenceville, GA
Do you enjoy reading? Do you enjoy learning? Do you enjoy building things?

I personally love my mech mods... I prefer them much over my VTR. I mainly use drippers these days for the enhanced flavor. Really there is nothing special about mechs aside from the looks of them. I mean they are slowly dwindling away because of the new devices that are able to push 30, 50, 75 and 100+ watts. If you really want to try a mechanical mod my advice would just be to go with a DNA30 clone (like from 101vape) and buy yourself a VTC5 battery. Its basically the same as a mechanical mod but puts out a constant XX watts instead of whatever your battery is charged to minus voltage drop... Basically that means say I have a 0.4 ohm coil... a freshly charged 4.2 volt battery... and my mod has a .2 voltage drop with the device attached... My atomizer will receive 4 volts to it so the math to figure out the watts would be (4*4)/0.4=40 watts. And that will constantly start to drop as you vape. With the DNA devices it puts out the constant XX watts as stated no matter if your battery is at 4.2 volts or at 3.5 volts.

Personally for myself. Before I switched over to my mechanical mods. I read about battery safety, how to build coils, what to use to build, etc for about 2 weeks before I finally made a purchase. There is a lot to take in about them and it really takes a lot of time and patience.

Last edited:

gin828

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2013
PA, USA
I enjoy using my mech. w/ a RDA. I keep my builds in the 1.7-1.4ohm range and get very good vape/flavor. For me I like the tinkering factor it gives me. I can run all the attys that I run on my Smoktech SID plus it takes the same batteries. It took me a few days to get used to vaping off an unregulated PV because you have to get the feel to know when to change batteries. Having a good multimeter, checking your coils/batteries is a must for staying safe when running a mech. One nice about a mech. is that you can usaully fix them yourself and they are simple. I say read up on them and go for it:vapor:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hey Guys

I have several regulated (VV/VW) mods, but I know the trend in the vaping world is now for mech mods.
However ...

I went to mechanical mods in 2013 for the power. There were no high power regulated mods on the market at the time. Had I been happy at 7.5 watts I would never have made the transition.

These days there are high power regulated mods on the market and I think they are getting pretty good. I suspect by next year the trend in vaping will have switched to these mods over mech mods.

I suggest you research both technologies and make up your own mind. IMO the biggest difference between them in use is the power drop off we get with mech mods as opposed to none with regulated mods.

Of course there is also the dependability and ease of DIY repair of mech mods compared to regulated mods with electronics on board to consider. If government regulation ends up gets snarly for us, knowing how to use a mechanical mod could come in very handy.

I would not try to use a single coil clearo on a mechanical mod. IMO clearos don't have enough power range to accommodate the power drop off mech mods suffer from as battery voltage goes down. Cartos are much better in this regard. IMO rebuildables are best.

I doubt I've answered your question, but I hope I've helped a bit :)

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hey Guys

However ...

Yes; simple backup, with a kick option. A complete nemesis with all the tubes will take an 18650 and a kick.

After 2 years of vaping you're probably settled in to a particular voltage or power level and won't be needing to keep adjusting all the time; a mech with a kick would be perfect if that's the case.

Last edited:

Feraloxide

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2014
Buffalo, NY, USA
I use a mechanical primarily now. If you're happy with your current setup you'll probably wanna stick with regulated stuff. While I liked it, I knew it could get better, so I invested in an RDA. First build I tried was a .5 ohm dual microcoil, then I made .4 ohm dual super nanocoils. It gets down. :vapor:

Butters80

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2013
Boise, ID
I love mech mods for the simplicity. Having said that, I had already been rebuilding coils/set ups on russian 91s and kayfun 3.1 clones for awhile for use on vv/vw mods. I get the coils dialed into 1.2-1.4 ohm & slap it on a mech and I'm good to go. My stingray clone with a kebo russian 91 is my favorite for work and out on the town because they are compact....just as short as a spinner and 3X less awkward. I couldn't imagine running out to my neighborhood pub with a vamo or sigelei 20wAtt, at least without light saber jokes abounding. Good times!

Midniteoyl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2014
Indiana
Hey Guys

However ...

I also like regulated mods, but just had to buy some for the shelf :)

WP_20140623_002.jpg

WP_20140703_029.jpg

Jdbaker82

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2014
United States
Not everyone who uses mech mods sub-ohms. They are quite capable of running a low plus-ohm device setup for 3.9'ish volts very well.

Yeah I guess quite capable but I find it too tedious and much easier with a box mod in my hand but that's just me... mech mod only comes out for the dirty work

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

COGamerGirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs
Yeah I guess quite capable but I find it too tedious and much easier with a box mod in my hand but that's just me... mech mod only comes out for the dirty work

What's your favorite box mod?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COGamerGirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs
Hana dna30 (clone) hands down best $69 I ever spent on any vaping gear

Ok thanks I think for $69 I may have to roll the dice on one.
Would you mind postings the dimensions on it for me?
Size is a big concern for me which is why I just ordered a Vaporshark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Midniteoyl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2014
Indiana
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread