Is Provape in danger of becoming like Blackberry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
My Korean phone is still regulated by the fcc unlike all the Chinese mods being made. Did I call evolv Chinese made crap? No I called innokin crap because they are. And just like your entitled to you opinion about provape I have my opinions on innokin. Down regulating is more important to me then 30+watts and I'm in the majority of provari users. My Russian probably can't even wick up to 30watts and I don't drip. So please tell me why the hell I would need a 30watt device?

Sent from my LG-D959 using Tapatalk

First of all I never mentioned 30 watts. I have no need for 30 watts. I've been vaping for over a year and own 4 innokins and not a one of them has failed to work. You can call anything you want a piece of crap, but Innokin isn't. BTW I never said a negative thing about the Provari. You'll find plenty of Provari owners who own a Innokin as well.

B1sh0p

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2013
Chicago
Phil is probably the most popular reviewer and he rocks a provari/Russian setup daily. Rip trippers is a strictly cloud chasing user. Grimm and Todd seem to be more into mechanical mods then regulated mods. Twisted uses a dna20 and mechanicals mostly as well. The only big name reviewer who pretty much strictly uses 30watt regulated devices is rip trippers. Comparing provari to BlackBerry don't work well. More like provape is to Rolex like evolv is to Samsung. (talking watches here folks)

Rip Trippers is far more popular than Phil.

Judging by the B&M I go to, sub ohm vaping is far more popular than most here admit. They're not a niche shop and mechanicals outsell regulated devices 2 to 1.

Provape will be fine. They have a fiercely loyal fanbase. They are becoming the niche though.

EuroChris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2014
Norway
Let's assume the P3 doesn't change in its lifetime as a device they make. Let's also assume they'll want at least 2-3 years out of it. That means in 2017 they'll be selling a 20 watt device. It's laughable and while I think they'll still sell a ton of them they would have sold way more at 30-50 watts.

More watts does not equal a better vape. Do you really think the majority of vapers will drip 3 in years time? Most people are happy with 20w as they see it as a fulfilling vape and it keeps them off cigarettes.

Bosco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
San Antonio
I agree with the blackberry analogy. The new provari, to me, is underwhelming. It's been a long time since a major new provari release and this one arrives to market seeming already obsolete.

I'm not big on the fancy features so perhaps my view is slanted ...but I'd rather have a vapor shark than the new provari.

midficollege

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2011
Texas
Let's assume the P3 doesn't change in its lifetime as a device they make. Let's also assume they'll want at least 2-3 years out of it. That means in 2017 they'll be selling a 20 watt device. It's laughable and while I think they'll still sell a ton of them they would have sold way more at 30-50 watts.
I completely disagree. High wattage equals low nic equals more exposure to impurities in flavors and PG/vg breakdown products.

20W will be just as good for the enthusiast but not-cloud-chasing vaper in 10 years as it is today. And if it isn't, that's sad, since it means we've taken several horrifying steps backward in the efficiencies of our heating elements.

vlodato

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
New Jersey
Rip Trippers is far more popular than Phil.

Judging by the B&M I go to, sub ohm vaping is far more popular than most here admit. They're not a niche shop and mechanicals outsell regulated devices 2 to 1.

Provape will be fine. They have a fiercely loyal fanbase. They are becoming the niche though.

No offense but anyone I know who uses high power and cloud chases are people who don't even use nicotine or were not even previously anolog cigarette users. I can't quote 2 post but the guy who said he has 4 innokin devices working for years is either lucky or lieing. I almost never heard of an SVD or mvp2 lasting more than a year at most with regular use. I have an mvp that didn't break because I used it about 30 times total. I'm done with the thread and sub forum in general il stay to my provape and reo sub forums where logical people reside.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
No, you can't compare Blackberry and Apple to Provari and I'll tell ya' why - customer service and they stand behind their products for life (Provari). That's extremely rare.

Neither of those other companies do (in varying degrees) - esp. Blackberry who deserved to die in my book. They sold me a phone that would work with Mac and it didn't, yet the phone was dependent on computer interface for backup. I borrowed a friends PC and an 8 HOUR conversation because they didn't support XP either and that was 3 years ago. Iphone, similar non support of certain features like the ANTENNA. What good is a phone that won't connect? And Apple ID is a mess for someone who signed up for a .mac acount back in the computing dark ages only to discover that various evolutions now have it connected to iCloud, also required for backup with annoying pop ups and Apple ID is out of Apples' hands??? AAARRRGGGHHH. On and on it goes. I think I have 9 different apple ID's to keep track of, each for a different basic and essential function. I can't even watch freebie trailers on iTunes cause that ID's gone and lost into the ether.

When I bought my first Provari it was with the idea that it was the only mod I would need for LIFE (ha-ha, I know) and the rest is "filler". What is true is that it's reliable, dependable and if there's a problem, it's fixable for a reasonable cost. They keep their resale, which makes the price very cost-effective for even a new vaper. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Provari V1 used with Provape behind it. It's a life time device.

None of the Provari discounters seem to give that much weight when the reality is it means a lot to me. I got burned with $200 of defective and dead "genuine" equipment early on in my vape life. Almost everything needs to be replaced every 6 months to a year or less. I hate that. I wanted off the buying merry-go-round with something that kept me off stinkies. Provari does that. As far as I'm concerned, the upgrades are icing on the cake. They could have stayed the same and still enjoyed popularity. I know their power and resistance measurements are accurate - better than some ohm meters. I can run through the menu blind folded. Few tricks or gimmicks to break down and unlike unregulated mods, it delievers a consistant vape quickly. Those things are really important and it's nice to have at least one device that I can count on to deliver that.

I don't know why watts was limited to 20 when even Joyetech has an atty coming out with a "sweet spot" at 27 watts. I've never vaped at that wattage and I'm not experiecing a calling to do so - at least not yet. Psbuardo was disappointed although he didn't say so directly, it's easy to hear in his comments.

But you could run a mac truck over a provari and dump it into a swimming pool and I think Provape would struggle to save it. That's piece of mind I can't find with anyother mod. I have used mine for over a year and if I sold it in the classies, I'd get all but apx $50 back. That's pretty cheap IMO.

A person can go to FT and buy a mod for sub-ohming for < $20. I don't see why anyone would want to compete with that nor is it necessary.

The vast majority are interested in not smoking again and Provari does that. Sub ohming is not all there is to vaping.

Last edited:

roflwaffles

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2014
United States
No offense but anyone I know who uses high power and cloud chases are people who don't even use nicotine or were not even previously anolog cigarette users. I can't quote 2 post but the guy who said he has 4 innokin devices working for years is either lucky or lieing. I almost never heard of an SVD or mvp2 lasting more than a year at most with regular use. I have an mvp that didn't break because I used it about 30 times total. I'm done with the thread and sub forum in general il stay to my provape and reo sub forums where logical people reside.

Seriously, why are you so heated in this conversation? Everyone I know who cloud chases has been a previous smoker and the nic they use for dripping ranges from 0-6mg. Everyone's experiences are different.

GolemGolem

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
Arkansas
As a non provari user. . .
What good is reverse battery protection? Oh you mean you have to take the batteries out to charge it? No USB? That's the one thing I really like about my regulated devices, also I like dripping at home. If your friends built it, that's all cool and sure stick up for them no matter what, but it already is a totally niche product in a rather niche market.(it's fun being heated!). Made in America is nice, but so is Blu and they are the worst.
If I ever had more than 300$ to spend on a PV I'd get a 50v box (with warranty, and usb charging), or maybe a REO to see what's up with that, and 3-4 MVP2s, and maybe a cheap mech to fiddle with if I had enough change left over. .. . .

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
No, you can't compare Blackberry and Apple to Provari and I'll tell ya' why - customer service and they stand behind their products for life (Provari). That's extremely rare.

Totally missed the point of the Apple LISA. Go look up the history on that one - like the selling price at time of release - and you'll see the analogy. Defend the P3 or the company to the death all you want - no one knows the price of a P3 yet.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
This conversation has evolved into a discussion that resembles the rants on other forums about automobiles. Theres the family car, the sports car, the muscle car, and the off road exclusive race track vehicle. Any comparison between those groups is moot.

We have two major groups here. There's the 20 watt differential that divides them. People who are happy vaping at 10 watts and lower see no point in anything higher, but would like to have 20 watt headroom just in case. Then, there's the sub ohm vaping crowd who scoffs at anything that is limited to 20 watts. Naturally, high watt low ohm vapers who drill out their air holes will naturally chuckle at the Provari P3 because it isn't a drag racer.

Some people like luxury cars and seldom drive over 75 MPH. Others find back roads and race at 100+. There's no comparison between the two. If you are a drag racer, you still need something to carry the family around and get them to the beach once or twice a year. Nitrous isn't needed for that task.

Maybe China will read this thread and develop a 50 watt beast that has humongous air flow and will electronically protect those who chase large amp loads. Chances are that device will also throttle down and be the tame animal that most vapers prefer. Then, we'll see the perfect mod for all people. If they can produce it and sell it at under $100, the big boys will have some competition.

Right now, I see Provari selling lots of P3's, but none to cloud chasers. Maybe it's the liability factor that prevents them from upping the current.

Last edited:

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
As a non provari user. . .
What good is reverse battery protection? Oh you mean you have to take the batteries out to charge it? .. . .

Reverse battery protection means that the device will not fire if one puts the battery in upsidedown. This was a concern when the ProVari so the device was built to handle that. It still is for the current DNA PCBs. Put the battery in backwards and the PCB is fried/destroyed.

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
Totally missed the point of the Apple LISA. Go look up the history on that one - like the selling price at time of release - and you'll see the analogy. Defend the P3 or the company to the death all you want - no one knows the price of a P3 yet.

~$300 B&M pricing, according to the thread posted earlier (FWIW) about the guy handling a demo B&M unit.

spartanstew

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
Wylie, Texas
I amazed at the number of responses that have totally missed the point.

Blackberry vs Provari is an apt analogy. Is it a perfect analogy? No, but it gets the point across (although not to most here).

Provari lovers will continue to buy Provari's (including the P3), and there will also be new Provari owners. But not as many as before. Not as many as there would have been if the P3 had 50 watts. The same way Blackberry owners continued to buy Blackberrys (for awhile), but the number of new owners shrunk. Eventually even current Blackberry owners switched. There's a possibility that will happen with Provape as well. Everyone's needs change and attrition happens. If a company doesn't have new customers to replace those that move on (like Blackberry didn't), that company will eventually be in trouble - unless they change/adapt.

Look at the Saber Touch Mod. 5 years ago it was fantastic and a device many people wanted. It's still a good device, but they haven't changed anything and not I see them offering huge discounts all the time and still most people ignore their threads. Time marches on.

RickCain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
Provide needs to start to listen to the consumer and not try to force their ways. While that might have worked years ago when their first version was released we are in a different vape world. The minimum standard for high price regulated devices is 30 watts. By forcing users to adhere to their standards it holds back the people who buy it. Sure many only vape at 15 watts but there are more vaping at 30 watts (and growing each day).

Instead of making proprietary connections, adapt the 20x1 thread. Give the buyer the ability to go from a carto tank to a dual coil dripper in one device. Give us flexibility without having to sacrifice.

I look at it they are trying to sell to existing V1 and V2 users instead of expanding their user base. If that is their intent, they will succeed.

They definitely won't take sales away from the existing DNA30 / SX350 devices.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread