Is Provape in danger of becoming like Blackberry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickCain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
Provape needs to start to listen to the consumer and not try to force their ways. While that might have worked years ago when their first version was released we are in a different vape world. The minimum standard for high price regulated devices is 30 watts. By forcing users to adhere to their standards it holds back the people who buy it. Sure many only vape at 15 watts but there are more vaping at 30 watts (and growing each day).

Instead of making proprietary connections, adapt the 20x1 thread. Give the buyer the ability to go from a carto tank to a dual coil dripper in one device. Give us flexibility without having to sacrifice.

I look at it they are trying to sell to existing V1 and V2 users instead of expanding their user base. If that is their intent, they will succeed.

They definitely won't take sales away from the existing DNA30 / SX350 devices.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
As a long term vaper and having never owned a Provari, I do have some comments on their development and market vision. If they want to expand their base - fan club something more than VW and 20W is necessary....think outside the box.

Having a single button to control all functions is not a endearing feature, anymore than a TV remote with one button and a menu would be acceptable. More than one or two button pushes for resistance, battery voltage, atomizer voltage is a royal pain. "You'll get used to it" is not a selling point.

Having owned many mods, I do prefer a box mod. It can't be than difficult to put the electronics into a lightweight box.

High wattage vaping isn't a concern (tried it, meh) so 20 watts would be double the requirement. Extra headroom would be nice if it could use a simple 18650 IMR high drain, easily replaceable. I have chargers, using my mods as chargers would be a negative. Any extra electronics to enable charging or pass-thru operation would also be a negative.

VV or VW gets you to the same place, they are just different numbers. Each topper and each flavor has their favorite numbers, flavor-wise.
Label them Cool - Medium - Warm, still as effective as any numbers.

Just my ..:2c:

Tangaroav

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2014
QC & FL
I think the Blackberry - Provape analogy is right on. You have to be in another world not to see it, obviously some here are not on the same planet, others are so aggressive it makes me laugh . When all you have to defend your point is to put others down, it indicates you are in a very weak position.

I have never owned a Provari. Their reputation and the quality of their product greatly impressed me. I thought their present model was not up to date comparing to the competion. I was waiting for the new and upgraded model. Well, at the prices mentionned, for what it offers and for what it can't do, I will probably never own one.

It is starting to look like $250 to $300 for a glorified ego... I hope I am wrong.

Edit: Also, that BS about only initially selling through their dealers is downright insulting to its loyal customers. It baffles me, after all it is THEY who made Provape what they are, not those dealers whom arrived late into the game.... such a lack of respect, go figure .

Last edited:

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
The people who complain about ProVari would never buy one anyway- no matter what they released. For the vast majority of vapers who want a high end mod, ProVari is more than capable.
I know I would never want a box mod, and many others who would never use one, either. That pretty much eliminates 90% of the 'competition'. I would never spend more than what an eGo costs for a mod made in PRC, which eliminates almost everything else. That pretty much leaves the Semovar as the competition, which has had issues...

Odd thing, iPhones are always being called outdated, yet...

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
~$300 B&M pricing, according to the thread posted earlier (FWIW) about the guy handling a demo B&M unit.

Yup - that was my prediction for the high end in another P3 thread. $250.00 - but doubtful - was my prediction for the "low" end.

We still have to see what ProVape actually sets the web pricing at though. (And if it does turn out to be $300.00 on the web site I predict the sales will be markedly dismal.)

Based on reactions, I cannot tell where ProVape went with this one. Either they listened to every suggestion everyone ever... suggested and "kitchen sink-ed" it. (Which may be what ends up kitchen sunk-ing it.) Or they did their own thing and didn't listen to anyone at all - since the biggest "want" seemed to be VW, and possibly a higher capacity in that regard as well. IMO if they had just added VW and more watts and avoided changing much of anything else that would sell better at a better price point than a very expensive kitchen sink.

We'll see how this plays in Peoria. Gong back to the 'ville now where we don't have these performance/function/price anxiety fests.

Tangaroav

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2014
QC & FL

...... Odd thing, iPhones are always being called outdated, yet...

IPhone's offerings are equally advanced as its competitors, ( except for their small screens). We can all agree that the P3 is lagging the competition in many facets of vaping technology. It is a choice they made . Let's hope it is not a Blackberry type '' too little, too late, too expensive '' reaction .

Last edited:

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
The people who complain about ProVari would never buy one anyway- no matter what they released. For the vast majority of vapers who want a high end mod, ProVari is more than capable.
I know I would never want a box mod, and many others who would never use one, either. That pretty much eliminates 90% of the 'competition'. I would never spend more than what an eGo costs for a mod made in PRC, which eliminates almost everything else. That pretty much leaves the Semovar as the competition, which has had issues....

There's probably 3 or 4 REO. MVP2 and VTR users that may take issue with being limited to the pipe bomb form.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
IPhone's offerings are equally advanced as its competitors, ( except for their small screens). We can all agree that the P3 is lagging the competition in many facets of vaping technology. It is a choice they made . Let's hope it is not a Blackberry type '' too little, too late, too expensive '' reaction .

In terms of power? Sub ohmers seem to prefer $15 PRC mechs...
I would be very interested in finding out the average age of ProVari owners and how long they have vaped and whether or not they were previous smokers. My guess is older than the median vapers' age, has vaped longer and is a former smoker. If I owned a company which made mods, my target would be vapers in their 30's to 50's, who have vaped more than 6 months and who were former smokers. They have disposable income, have tried other devices and vape to keep off of cigarettes. The P3 would more than meet the needs of these vapers...

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
And there are just as many who would never want a box mod. What is your point?

In all the years ProVape has been in business they have totally ignored a large segment of the vaping community. When they were the only viable game in town, it was never a problem. They have much more and numerous competition today.

(said as a 63 year old former smoker, that vapes to keep off cigarettes, have tried and built various mods, and have been vaping over 4 years, non-provari owner)

Last edited:

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
In all the years ProVape has been in business they have totally ignored a large segment of the vaping community. When they were the only viable game in town, it was never a problem. They have much more and numerous competition today.

(said as a 63 year old former smoker, that vapes to keep off cigarettes, have tried and built various mods, and have been vaping over 4 years, non-provari owner)

Other than a Semovar, I haven't seen or used any other high quality tube mods, other than my PV-1s...

Tangaroav

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2014
QC & FL
In terms of power? Sub ohmers seem to prefer $15 PRC mechs...
I would be very interested in finding out the average age of ProVari owners and how long they have vaped and whether or not they were previous smokers. My guess is older than the median vapers' age, has vaped longer and is a former smoker. If I owned a company which made mods, my target would be vapers in their 30's to 50's, who have vaped more than 6 months and who were former smokers. They have disposable income, have tried other devices and vape to keep off of cigarettes. The P3 would more than meet the needs of these vapers...

Yes, I agree the P3 meets the needs of these vapers, and I would add the needs of the majority of vapers. So does an ego I would suggest, but it does it at 30$ . I am not saying an ego = provari. I say the P3 at 250$ to 300$ has to offer a whole lot more than an ego. Does it ? It remains to be seen.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
Yes, I agree the P3 meets the needs of these vapers, and I would add the needs of the majority of vapers. So does an ego I would suggest, but it does it at 30$ . I am not saying an ego = provari. I say the P3 at 250$ to 300$ has to offer a whole lot more than an ego. Does it ? It remains to be seen.

I think the ProVape-1 has a lot more to offer than an eGo.. Since P3 hasn't been offered for sale yet, of course it remains to be seen...

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
Provape needs to start to listen to the consumer and not try to force their ways. While that might have worked years ago when their first version was released we are in a different vape world. The minimum standard for high price regulated devices is 30 watts. By forcing users to adhere to their standards it holds back the people who buy it. Sure many only vape at 15 watts but there are more vaping at 30 watts (and growing each day).

Instead of making proprietary connections, adapt the 20x1 thread. Give the buyer the ability to go from a carto tank to a dual coil dripper in one device. Give us flexibility without having to sacrifice.

I look at it they are trying to sell to existing V1 and V2 users instead of expanding their user base. If that is their intent, they will succeed.

They definitely won't take sales away from the existing DNA30 / SX350 devices.

"Provape needs to start to listen to the consumer and not try to force their ways."
...For the last two years and right up to the announcement of the P3, the threads were full of "If ProVape would just come out with VW, I'd buy it." This from hundreds of people on ECF. A quick perusal of many "What do you want to see in a Provari 3" threads will show that ProVape followed many of the customer's suggestions. About the only one they didn't follow was the request for high wattage and low sub-ohm capabilities.

There is no doubt in my mind that ProVape could change a line of code and have their P3 run at 50 watts if they choose. They have a 32 bit ARM processor in that thing, for Pete's sake! It will be another 4 or 5 years before China puts anything near that capability into their VV/VW mods.

As for "proprietary connections," it's obvious ProVape wants to lead the way for vapers to break free of the weak, crappy, voltage-loss prone 510 connection standard and give us a more robust and durable standard. Who else has the market penetration to do it? China won't. They don't innovate, and the 20x1 threading you mentioned is hardly universal. I know of the Senio dripper and the GP Heron that use it...and maybe one or two other drippers.

"The minimum standard for high price regulated devices is 30 watts." According to YOU. A few months ago, you probably would have said that the minimum standard was 20 watts, and that didn't seem to slow ProVari sales down at all, even though the ProVari 2.5 is only a 15 watt device. I think the "Hot Shot" feature will offset many of the P3's perceived shortcomings to high wattage vapers...and even if it doesn't, cloud chasers are not their target market anyways.

I went through Six eGo style batteries in a four month time period. I then bought a 2 year old ProVari. I've had it for almost 2 years. Used daily, no problems. And that is why people buy ProVaris.

Last edited:

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
If not blackberry, then perhaps motorola.

lol ... we might as well also tag them as Blockbuster, Enron and AOL while we're at it :blink:

Seems Provape is more like Apple than Blackberry ... they are on the same page as Apple, as far as customer service goes.

The Provari vs all these fragile PVs reminds me of Apple vs all those PCs and Androids.

Funny, how this slogan would also work pretty well for the Provari.

it-just-works.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread