Is Provape in danger of becoming like Blackberry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Sure, APVs can break. However, plenty of people have cheaper devices that don't break. My Innokin SVD has been going strong for well over a year now. Not contesting the quality of the Provari, just saying that "cheaper mod of choice" breaking isn't inevitable, or even the rule I'd wager. Also, like USMCotaku I'd like it the P3 had a higher wattage output. It looks great and I'm sure it's of superb quality, but I just can't motivate buying such an expensive 20w device. That doesn't mean that Provape "have to" offer a 30+ Watt device, but I'm sure it would expand their customer base.

AstroTurf

Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
Having been so loyal to JoyeTech for their eGo batteries, I was excited to see a "Provari level" device from JoyeTech...but then it ended up being so fragile...which was another reason I went Provape.

What makes em so tuff?

It must be the Ape in the Name?!?

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Sure, APVs can break. However, plenty of people have cheaper devices that don't break. My Innokin SVD has been going strong for well over a year now. Not contesting the quality of the Provari, just saying that "cheaper mod of choice" breaking isn't inevitable, or even the rule I'd wager. Also, like USMCotaku I'd like it the P3 had a higher wattage output. It looks great and I'm sure it's of superb quality, but I just can't motivate buying such an expensive 20w device. That doesn't mean that Provape "have to" offer a 30+ Watt device, but I'm sure it would expand their customer base.

Agreed. They've selected their level and are obviously comfortable with it.

And I had a SVD for awhile. I liked it. Good devices (at least for me) and really cool looking.

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
Has the new P3 been released yet? If so what does it retail for? I went to the Provape website and the nearest retail dealer is 90 miles from my home.

Oh yea it's out. Provape dealers are selling them now and they will be online at Provape. The Price is $249.95.

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
A good company knows they can't please everyone, doesn't spread itself thin, takes care of the loyal clients first.

Exactly right. Provape has a huge customer base who are more interested in a product that will last, fire there attys without harm, has the best safety record, and best customer service.

The OP asked if Provape is the next Blackberry. He started this thread 8/19/14 and the jury is in. Verdict Provape is not going the same route as BlackBerry. There is no need for Provape to go the 30-40 watts as there are plenty of high quality 30 watt mods and 1000's of cheap knock offs. What sells in the 30 watt mod class? Mostly cheap clones which are glued together. None of those vapers are going to spend more then $50.00 for a mod.

RickCain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
Exactly right. Provape has a huge customer base who are more interested in a product that will last, fire there attys without harm, has the best safety record, and best customer service.

The OP asked if Provape is the next Blackberry. He started this thread 8/19/14 and the jury is in. Verdict Provape is not going the same route as BlackBerry. There is no need for Provape to go the 30-40 watts as there are plenty of high quality 30 watt mods and 1000's of cheap knock offs. What sells in the 30 watt mod class? Mostly cheap clones which are glued together. None of those vapers are going to spend more then $50.00 for a mod.

So would you have disappointed if the P3 did 50 watts and had a menu structure that didn't require owning one to understand or better yet allowed an atty to sit flush with the tube diameter?

Being "just enough" or relying on the existing customer base doesn't cut it in a competitive market place and was the point of the OP.

It's sad this thread didn't allow for objectivity or honesty.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
So would you have disappointed if the P3 did 50 watts and had a menu structure that didn't require owning one to understand or better yet allowed an atty to sit flush with the tube diameter?

Being "just enough" or relying on the existing customer base doesn't cut it in a competitive market place and was the point of the OP.

It allows for all of that Rick, but it all remains irrelevant. The product is exactly what the company decided it would be. And like all products, those who feel it's worth it will buy, and those who don't will not.

As for satisfying existing base in an industry that's barely left the umbilical chord, well, that's somewhat irrelevant too. The entire market will almost certainly grow exponentially, and the total number of ECF members today will likely represent a single-digit percentage (at best) of the eventual whole.

They're doing what they're doing, which is theirs to do with. Ours is only to decide whether or not to buy the product. The market rules all and they owe nobody anything. If we don't buy, they'll have made a mistake. But if we do, then not.

As for their decision to land at 20 watts, see all of the above.

Shrug your shoulders, buy what you want, and keep vaping with pleasure. WHAT you vape on, well, that is totally your decision (as mine is mine). And thankfully at that.

For the record, I still haven't decided if I'll get a P3. Why? Because the 2.5 actually meets my needs, playing back into the aforementioned reference to irrelevance of power limitations (for many of us).

HBcorpse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013

None of what you said matters, when faced with the fact that Provape isn't hurting for money, and they certainly aren't going anywhere, any time soon.
They play their cards so close to their chest, that their hand is practically inside their rib cage. The -FINAL- P3 update is still so far off, it doesn't even exist yet. With such a powerful chip inside, who's to say they can't or won't up the wattage output, as battery technology advances? They only limited the P3 to 20 watts (for now) because that's the safest THEY determined (for themselves) that an 18350 battery can put out. Their safety standards, and protection of their own liability, is their own business. If some other company wants to go above and beyond them, that's that company's prerogative! Not Provape's!

As for the menu thing...I learned the P3 menu from watching about three videos on YouTube. Before I even owned one. So, to insult the intelligence of anyone who doesn't own a Provari, by saying you "have to own one to understand it" is just a petty jab at something YOU don't understand. That is nobody's fault but your own. The information is, and has been, WIDELY available for many years.

And so what if their tube doesn't sit flush with atomizers, or vice versa? Has the World Vaping Council gathered and agreed that no atomizer shall ever been more than 22mm? Cuz I'm pretty sure when the first 26650 hit the streets, NOTHING fit it. Provape is a big enough company, and has set enough standards, that atomizer mfg's will probably follow their lead, and make an atomizer to fit the P3...which will be easy to justify, seeing as Provape just took a ballsy step towards a new standard in the vape industry...a NEW CONNECTOR.
Maybe some day we'll all look back on the 510 as the sturdy little work horse that got us through the Dark Ages...or maybe we'll all look back on the P3 as the gaudy bird that almost (or did) kill Provape! Who knows? Nobody! But you seem to be adopting the attitude that Provape is going down in flames, or crumbling from the bottom out...when in reality, they're rising above the crowd (What crowd? The crowd of mechs that all look the same, or the wattage rat race.), and building strong walls against the coming FDA vap-ocalypse, by making a new device that can accommodate not only current atomizers, but atomizers that haven't even been created yet. They're looking to the future of the industry, not just upping the wattage and calling it innovation.
Provape doesn't do many things without an unimaginable amount of forethought, and desire for perfection. I've heard (on other forums) about a new P3 threaded Kayfun in the works...as well as P3 atomizers from Aspire and Kanger. And that certainly doesn't make me feel like Provape is in any danger. Will dripping atomizers be made to fit it's size? Probably not many, if any. But since when has anyone picked up a dripper and immediately thought that it would be great on a Provari? Hardly ever. Provaris cater to the carto/BCC/BDC/BVC/Kayfun/Nautilus/Silo/Fogger/etc side of vaping...and I'm sorry, but the majority of vapers use those devices. And that's who Provape has stated they are marketing to...the MAJORITY of vapers...not ALL.
There is nothing wrong with stating what you'd like to see from Provape. I'm a big fan, and there are things I'd still like to see. But do I look down my nose at them, simply because they don't make the device that is perfect for ME? No way! They make the device that is closest to the needs of my vaping habit.
NO COMPANY MAKES THE PERFECT DEVICE FOR -EVERYONE-
This thread didn't allow for objectivity and honesty? So were you not trying to be objective and honest? I'm pretty sure I have been the whole time! Who was stopping you? This is an online, text-based forum...everyone gets a turn.
This isn't a personal attack on you RickCain.
I am not angry, upset, offended, hurt, or in the least bit bothered by anything said in this forum. I'm just speaking my mind, as everyone else here is.
This is just my response to what you said. I'm not saying, or doing anything, to keep you from being as objective and honest as I am.
People need to LEAVE EMOTIONS AT THE DOOR.

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State

I agree with DP even though he's a Dolphin fan. I disagree with you about the customer base and how it relates to the competitive market. The Provari is not apart of the competitive market nor does it need to be. Porsche doesn't compete with Kia and they are alive and well. A 30 or 40 watt Provari priced at $249.95 will not increase their sales. The 20 watt limit only allows those who dislike Provari to continue putting them down. If i don't buy a P3 which I am interested in, i'll buy another 2.5. This is the competition you want Provape to compete with. TOBECO DNA30 30 WATT TUBE MOD 18650 | kanVape

It really is old news about the 20 watt maximum. If you need 30 watts or more to satisfy your needs by all means buy one and enjoy it, I'm a happy camper and I hope you are a happy camper.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
I agree with DP even though he's a Dolphin fan. I disagree with you about the customer base and how it relates to the competitive market. The Provari is not apart of the competitive market nor does it need to be. Porsche doesn't compete with Kia and they are alive and well. A 30 or 40 watt Provari priced at $249.95 will not increase their sales. The 20 watt limit only allows those who dislike Provari to continue putting them down. If i don't buy a P3 which I am interested in, i'll buy another 2.5. This is the competition you want Provape to compete with. TOBECO DNA30 30 WATT TUBE MOD 18650 | kanVape

It really is old news about the 20 watt maximum. If you need 30 watts or more to satisfy your needs by all means buy one and enjoy it, I'm a happy camper and I hope you are a happy camper.

Jet fans and Dolphin fans uniting for a common cause. There IS hope for this country! And for this industry.

Here's to you, Rory. And I hope your next avi is "Tin Cup" Roy McAvoy. :toast:

Mtek

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2014
WA
?....Porsche doesn't compete with Kia and they are alive and well. A 30 or 40 watt Provari priced at $249.95 will not increase their sales. The 20 watt limit only allows those who dislike Provari to continue putting them down. If i don't buy a P3 which I am interested in, i'll buy another 2.5....

Good analogy I haven't thought about. Porsche 911, any year, legendary in my eyes, and it's the same basic layout for decades. Sure there are a multitude of cars with more hp, more features, and less msrp, but I would rather have a 911. Porsche would never make an sti evo jdm whatchamacallit as it isn't what they do.

I have other mods, but Provari does what it does very well. One thing for certain, it's nice everyone has options.

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
Jet fans and Dolphin fans uniting for a common cause. There IS hope for this country! And for this industry.

Here's to you, Rory. And I hope your next avi is "Tin Cup" Roy McAvoy. :toast:

Actually it's Bubba Watson, but I can do the tin cup or Caddy Shack.

Rodney_Dance_Caddyshack1.jpg

Ca Ike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2014
Cali
When enough people voice their opinions, a good company takes note, and creates the products the people wish for
Sent with one hand, the other is busy vaping.

Provape is listening and overwhelming beta feedback recomended 25-30 watts. They already upped the amp limit and are probably testing a watt increase as we speak. The board is capable I'm sure based on the chip choice they went with but from what info is out there they won't make the jump until it passes their internal stress testing. I fully expect an update to at least 25 watts to come along. Really though, unless your running 26 or larger gauge wire it's not necessary. 28g is good imo at 12-18 watts depending on wicking and juice/airflow.

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
Provape is listening and overwhelming beta feedback recomended 25-30 watts. They already upped the amp limit and are probably testing a watt increase as we speak. The board is capable I'm sure based on the chip choice they went with but from what info is out there they won't make the jump until it passes their internal stress testing. I fully expect an update to at least 25 watts to come along. Really though, unless your running 26 or larger gauge wire it's not necessary. 28g is good imo at 12-18 watts depending on wicking and juice/airflow.

I'm not so sure about overwhelming beta feedback for 25-30 watts. I've followed this thread from the beginning and I may be wrong but I'm not reading what you are saying. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/provape/592747-official-provari-3-thread-p3.html

HBcorpse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013

Beyond internal stress testing, I'm more than sure they are waiting for better batteries to be developed...they've already stated that 20 watts is the most they can safely pull from an 18350, inside of their own Provape safety standards...
However, they've also stated that they are testing other batteries to add to their "approved" list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread