• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Janty MiD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chagrin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto, Canada
One of the design features that I really like is being able to charge the battery with a USB cable, but also having the option of swapping out the battery if you want.

I also like that the eVic can use connectivity, but connectivity is not an essential part of the operation like the MiD.

I completely agree on both counts. Charging via usb is a huge plus for new buyers as well in my opinion. I don't have big mods that take 18650s, so with the eVic i could save $20-30 of the initial cost and put off buying extra batteries and a charger for a bit.

I'm also pretty excited about a native ego connection, screen and the dial. Everyone says you get used to the one button on the provari/vmax/zmax etc, but just from watching the videos it makes me not what to touch the things, that would drive me absolutely nuts clicking through menus. I think for ~$100 I need more than one button. :blink:

X P3 Flight Engineer said:
I feel the Vamo (eGo APV, Eagle, 3V, whatever they are calling it) is the new baseline for features, performance, and price. VW has proven that it adds to the convenience and simplicity of operation. When ProVari comes out with the new version with built in charging, VW, OLED screen, and connectivity, then they will be able to justify their pricing due to their quality standards.

It's still early in the game and these things are always Great before we get them. This will be interesting to see how things shake out.

I think you're right, though the quality is obviously lower for $30-40 from China (zainy/healthcabin), $45 in Canada (canvape), but it would be hard to argue that the Vamo didn't raise the bar for variable wattage and decent features at a lower cost.

I could see the eVic doing profiles at some point. I could see sending people *.vape files being fun about once if that, but a sub-menu with a few pre-sets might be nice though. :)

Last edited:

RicZilla

May 9, 2012
Ottawa, Canada
It's kind of like -- if I can gamer-geek out for a moment -- Fallout 3 vs. New Vegas. I loved Fallout 3. Then New Vegas came out and I got all excited, and then found that they took the whole "grab bits of scrap and make stuff" concept taht was pretty simple and had a limited set of objects that could be combined to make things and totally built it out into this ridiculously fiddly thing where there were a million things you could collect and make things out of and recycle and stuff and it just turned me right off because I don't want to be bothered with such absurd minutiae, I just want to play a damn game, not scrounge for 4 different components to make a single bullet.

Hmm I loved Fallout NV some of the missions on Fallout 3 kinda got on my nerves and it was a bit depressing and Drab I pretty much explored everything. Vegas had more Pizazz and more colorful Loved having Boon and Rex at my sides :) But holy crap they Dead money DLC sucked. All the others where fun ! Overall I enjoyed both fallout and was kinda happy they did not change too much. Oh yeah I killed MR house I think that one of the best things of the game that guy was a douche ;)

Yeah, but the ring on the eVic at least makes sense. It replaces the up/down buttons already common on many mods. A full-on 5-way joystick though could conceptually be good, but might also be awkward. Like the ability to modulate your voltage/wattage in realtime mid-puff by waggling the joystick while it's pressed down. I just want to vape, not play juice pong.

I love the idead of having a matrix display that can show scrollable menus and have multiple info or pictures. The screen could possibly be customized to your liking in the future. I just hope they don't turn it into a fancy money grab and make you pay for feature.

Last edited:

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
I completely agree on both counts. Charging via usb is a huge plus for new buyers as well in my opinion. I don't have big mods that take 18650s, so with the eVic i could save $20-30 of the initial cost and put off buying extra batteries and a charger for a bit.

I'm also pretty excited about a native ego connection, screen and the dial. Everyone says you get used to the one button on the provari/vmax/zmax etc, but just from watching the videos it makes me not what to touch the things, that would drive me absolutely nuts clicking through menus. I think for ~$100 I need more than one button. :blink:

I love my Provari, but I'll admit that, yeah, one button to do everything gets tiresome. To Provape's credit though they do use a very sturdy button that has never once failed me.

Still, I'm excited for the eVic to arrive. Clear menu system, easy navigation (though it remains to be seen if it can be operated one-handed), lots of features. I did read somewhere that someone tested one and found that its amp limit was around 2.2A rather than the 3A claimed -- I hope that's not the case.

Hmm I loved Fallout NV some of the missions on Fallout 3 kinda got on my nerves and it was a bit depressing and Drab I pretty much explored everything. Vegas had more Pizazz and more colorful Loved having Boon and Rex at my sides :) But holy crap they Dead money DLC sucked. All the others where fun ! Overall I enjoyed both fallout and was kinda happy they did not change too much. Oh yeah I killed MR house I think that one of the best things of the game that guy was a douche ;)

I liked F:NV in the abstract, but there were some elements that bothered me. The fiddly components to make ammo, did not like. Made for too much hassle picking through the loot of fallen enemies. The radio stations; don't care for the country soundtrack, and I'm sorry, as much of a legend as he is, Wayne Newton was a casting mistake as a radio DJ. They should have casts someone with a little more energy and vibrancy to him.

I love the idead of having a matrix display that can show scrollable menus and have multiple info or pictures. The screen could possibly be customized to your liking in the future. I just hope they don't turn it into a fancy money grab and make you pay for feature.

I don't think they'll do that. The eVic doesn't seem to be set up to be modular; it just uses a single firmware and you upgrade when a new version is available. I think they'll probably keep it that way because it'll be one of their main advantages over the MiD.

chagrin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Still, I'm excited for the eVic to arrive. Clear menu system, easy navigation (though it remains to be seen if it can be operated one-handed), lots of features. I did read somewhere that someone tested one and found that its amp limit was around 2.2A rather than the 3A claimed -- I hope that's not the case.

I was curious about if you can use one thumb or finger to turn the dial, in the German video he's using his thumb and fore finger, hopefully that isn't necessary.

I hope it is 3 amps and that's the only thing I've heard and should be enough for me - I don't need to vape at 8 volts. I could see 2.2 amps being a tad low though.

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
I was curious about if you can use one thumb or finger to turn the dial, in the German video he's using his thumb and fore finger, hopefully that isn't necessary.

I hope it is 3 amps and that's the only thing I've heard and should be enough for me - I don't need to vape at 8 volts. I could see 2.2 amps being a tad low though.

It's almost certainly easier to twist the dial with two fingers, but it's not clear what sort of tension there is so no way to know without trying if it can be operated with just the thumb of the finger that's holding it. The dial does seem to have shallow thumb notches, so who knows?

The amp limit is really what concerns me more. If it's 3A I'm down with that, but if it hits a wall at 2.2A, that would not be cool. Mind you this is the sort of thing they could fix with a firmware update (presuming the switch is capable of handling the current -- and I have to believe that it is, who's ever made a mod that couldn't handle at least 2.5A?) so it may not be a permanent dealbreaker even if it does turn out to be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread