Status
Not open for further replies.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Aww man, I was so stoked to read this until I got to the part about it only being one pad each. A sample pack sounds amazing, but should at least come with 5 pads each.

So what the most popular Japanese cotton pad for the vape community? I've only used Muji so far. Still on my first bag.

:: sent from android with tapatalk ::

I think super_X's introduction of KGD is still boss gummy. I've only tried samples of about six others inc Shisedo but find KGD extremely easy to work with. The flow and flavor transparency are comparable to the pricey Nextel and usually holds up almost 2 full days for me. I vape some pretty gummy stuff, lol. I proly should try some longer tests on the j-cotton but I've gotten comfortable with the backing on KGD for controlling the wick and density. If you haven't tried it, it's good to go.

A sample pack under 10$ seems a good alternative to buying larger amounts if you're unsure. I have a problem with vendors that sell it at huge markup as a stand alone wicking product. Stock some real vape gear we're lookin' for, I say.

Good luck.

:)

Last edited:

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
............. I've only tried samples of about six others inc Shisedo but find KGD extremely easy to work with. ........I've gotten comfortable with the density of the backing on KGD for controlling the wick and density...........

I have the Shisedo pads coming in the mail. How does it compare to the KGD?

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I have the Shisedo pads coming in the mail. How does it compare to the KGD?

I find the texture a bit rougher and not as linear as KGD. Mind you they both vape well and are very similar. I definitely would not mind having one lacking the other. The KGD padding for me was easier to work with in terms of getting the density right. And also as a filler as I do minute tucks to redirect juice…sometimes behind, under wicks and between posts depending on the build. The padding being just slightly more manageable serves to give those tufts backbone. Shisedo always seemed a bit thicker to my liking. Actually a good thing in some winds. So like I said, it would be great to have both. But I'm a stickler on the density thing and finding the right fit for a device. You won't be disappointed. They're both excellent.

Good luck.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
I find the texture a bit rougher and not as linear as KGD. Mind you they both vape well and are very similar. I definitely would not mind having one lacking the other. The KGD padding for me was easier to work with in terms of getting the density right. And also as a filler as I do minute tucks to redirect juice…sometimes behind, under wicks and between posts depending on the build. The padding being just slightly more manageable serves to give those tufts backbone. Shisedo always seemed a bit thicker to my liking. Actually a good thing in some winds. So like I said, it would be great to have both. But I'm a stickler on the density thing and finding the right fit for a device. You won't be disappointed. They're both excellent.

Good luck.

Thanks for that. As it turns out, my Veritas clone and the Shisedo pads both arrived today, but I didn't know the pads were here until a little bit ago when I checked the tracking and it said 'delivered'. Sure enough, they were by the door in the garage, and I must have walked right past them two or three times lol.

Anyways, I have the Veritas built with a wick from a Swisspers cotton round. I'm wanting to change flavors anyway, so as soon as I get it vaped out a little more, I'll give the Shisedo pads a try and report back.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
I've got a Shisedo wick in my Veritas now, and it's doing great. I really wasn't expecting there to be any difference because the wick is so short plus I pull the cotton apart from the cotton ball and put the strings back together so that most of the fibers are running lengthwise. And as expected, I'm not seeing much difference in wicking. I sort of wish I hadn't changed flavors though because I might have noticed a difference there. From the cotton balls, I think I get a hint of the cotton for the first few puffs at least. I don't get anything but the flavor of the juice from the Shisedo wick.

Definitely easy to work with. As others have said, just cut a little strip, feed it into the coil, trim the tails and tuck them down, and Bob's your uncle.

Lovin' both the Veritas and the Shisedo pads. Great vaping evening for me. :vapor:

I mainly use Organic Cotton balls and Koh Gen Do - I like both BUT I find myself using the Koh Gen Do pads more. Its easier to work with, wicks faster and no after taste.

The only downside are the greedy online retailers selling 4 pads for $5 wtf.gif Not cool !!!!

Attachments

• panic.gif
    panic.gif
    4 KB · Views: 512

BababooeyHTJ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2010
Hartford
Is anybody pulling off the outer layers of the pad and just rolling the fluffy interior into a wick? Is it my imagination that this is the primo part of the KJD, or am I just being wasteful by tossing the thin, outer sheets?
I pull off one side. Works perfectly for me. I'm going to stick with that. The kayfun is finicky with wicking and that works constantly for me

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I pull off one side. Works perfectly for me. I'm going to stick with that. The kayfun is finicky with wicking and that works constantly for me

I too pull one side. I have tried all approaches. One side is perfect for me.

Agree with you both, I cut a section about twice the coil Ø then strip off a gossamer of additional fabric along with the end padding to leave a match for the exact density the coil needs. A method first suggested by super_X_drifter who introduced us to this marvelous cotton product.

(No I don't own stock in Sephora.)

You can always add back a few fibers, that's the amazing thing. And I use the backing to form conduits for eliquid between the posts or to shore up sagging tails and keep them from exposing end turns. Downside is those little tufts end up everywhere!

:D

Good luck all.

Last edited:

super dave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2012
1 Mile High
I just found Koh Gen Do in stock at a cosmetics site called B-Glowing, at the regular price of $12 for sixty pads. This right after receiving an email from Sephora that it was back in stock, and finding it sold out again in five minutes.

Thanks for this cherry, I just ordered mine from B-Glowing and all looks good & doesn't say out of stock or anything! From Oregon I think?

BababooeyHTJ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2010
Hartford
Just picked up a bag of cotton bacon. This is my first wick so I can't say too much but so far I'm liking it better than Japanese cotton pads which I've been using for a while. It's definitely easier to work with. Seems to perform better so far in my kayfun but a lot of that might have to do with it being easier to work with. Can't wait to see how it holds up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread