Status
Not open for further replies.

Moxienator

Super Squonker
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2014
Central Mass
Thank you.... how about sharing the links for these great Japanese Cotton Pads??? :) BTW has anyone used the "Honest 503 Pen Style Butane Torch & Lighter"? is it any good for heating coils - $6.50 ? What you vaping today? Hangsen Delux tobacco - oh yeah ;)
Go to the site "named after the big rainforest in south america" and type in Muji cotton pads.... :blink:

sent via Droid Mini

Gabiano87

ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2014
london uk
How are you guys even using the Labo? Comes apart every time I try to thread it through. Definitely looser and harder to use than the Japanese cotton my friend gave me some of.
You are xoing it wrong if its coming apart. As other comment said make sure to go with the grain. Cut a strip. There is a small skin on the cotton. I usually pull this off as thin as I can. Its very good stuff and makes wicking so easy

Gummy Bare

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
San Diego, California
Kinda funny, I never even considered the way I cut the pads. With normal cotton, you just cut it the "long" way... Weather it's an unrolled cotton ball or cellucotton. This pads are a square shape, but for some reason I always cut it the same way. Never even took notice to look at it and inspect the way the gain went.

I use Muji, and never have had an issue with it falling apart. Actually seems more tough than cotton balls. But now you guys got me wanting to get home and inspect the pads to see if I've been cutting the wrong way.... Not because anything is going wrong, just because if I am... I'll get better wicking absorption outta it.

:: sent from android with tapatalk ::

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Last edited:

havok333

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2012
Chapin, SC
:p

Well shoot, I'm going back to mesh then. :D

This looks like a good price on Shiseido cotton, what with the free shipping. I don't know how well it compares to the kgd, but I'm guessing it's very similar.
I bought a big bag of the Shiseido cotton pads months ago and have enjoyed using the greatly. I have never used the other pads so can't compare though.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Anyone use Rite Aid brand cotton rounds I got some today im not sure about the flavor seems a little muted kinda weird.

I think the fibers are a little too jumbled up in the rounds. The ones I tried worked, but not that great. I'm using Swispers cotton balls (Walmart) at the moment. I unroll the ball then carefully pull them apart along the lines that stay together, then roll them into wicks. Working guite well, but It's a little slow.

Check the price on the link I posted. I think the Japanese cotton has longer fibers, and they're more 'in line' in the sheets, or at least that's what I'm getting from the posts that I've read.

pls0138

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2014
New Jersey
I'm kind of curious to see if there is a major difference between different brands of Japanese cotton. I just ordered a sample pack of seven different brands of japanese cotton on ebay, so I'll be able to do a little testing myself. Unfortunately, I didn't realize unitl after I ordered that I paid $7.50 for seven single pads of cotton, I thought I was getting more than one pad of each brand. Kind of a rip off IMO, but oh well, seven pads will last a bit and at least it will give me an idea of what brand is better (or if there is a difference at all). I also order some rayon as well, so I should know my "go to" wicking material in a month or so.

havok333

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2012
Chapin, SC
I think the fibers are a little too jumbled up in the rounds. The ones I tried worked, but not that great. I'm using Swispers cotton balls (Walmart) at the moment. I unroll the ball then carefully pull them apart along the lines that stay together, then roll them into wicks. Working guite well, but It's a little slow.

Check the price on the link I posted. I think the Japanese cotton has longer fibers, and they're more 'in line' in the sheets, or at least that's what I'm getting from the posts that I've read.
Yes, that's the same package in your link above that I got a while back. Got mine from Amazon though, and for a few bucks more, but got free Prime shipping. That's a great deal if shipping isn't outrageous.

The fibers do run one direction and it makes cutting a thin wick-sized strip super simple and fast compared to fiddling with cotton balls.

havok333

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2012
Chapin, SC
I'm kind of curious to see if there is a major difference between different brands of Japanese cotton. I just ordered a sample pack of seven different brands of japanese cotton on ebay, so I'll be able to do a little testing myself. Unfortunately, I didn't realize unitl after I ordered that I paid $7.50 for seven single pads of cotton, I thought I was getting more than one pad of each brand. Kind of a rip off IMO, but oh well, seven pads will last a bit and at least it will give me an idea of what brand is better (or if there is a difference at all). I also order some rayon as well, so I should know my "go to" wicking material in a month or so.
Would be interested to hear your thoughts after comparing them all. But yeah, $7.50 for seven pads is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Coldrake

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
The beautiful Puget Sound
I didn't realize unitl after I ordered that I paid $7.50 for seven single pads of cotton, I thought I was getting more than one pad of each brand. Kind of a rip off IMO,
That's exactly why brands like Koh Gen Do are so hard to find. Vendors and resellers buy it all up and then charge outrageous prices for it. They are no friend to vapers.

pls0138

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2014
New Jersey
Would be interested to hear your thoughts after comparing them all. But yeah, $7.50 for seven pads I ridiculous.

Yea, usually I'm pretty good at reading the "fine print" before I buy something, but I missed this one. Like I said, at least it'll give me a chance to try out a bunch of different brands, who knows maybe it will turn out to be a better buy than spending 20+ bucks on 200 pads of something I don't like .

pls0138

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2014
New Jersey
That's exactly why brands like Koh Gen Do are so hard to find. Vendors and resellers buy it all up and then charge outrageous prices for it. They are no friend to vapers.

Yea I really don't get why KGD seems to be so much more expensive, maybe it's because it has become kind of the "name brand" for japanese cotton, or maybe it is just better. We vapers have become victims of the law of supply and demand haha.
One other thing: These cotton products are originally used for cosmetic purposes, so it's possible a more expensive product like KGD is better at removing make up, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's a better e-cig wicking material. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Gummy Bare

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
San Diego, California

Aww man, I was so stoked to read this until I got to the part about it only being one pad each. A sample pack sounds amazing, but should at least come with 5 pads each.

So what the most popular Japanese cotton pad for the vape community? I've only used Muji so far. Still on my first bag.

:: sent from android with tapatalk ::

Coldrake

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
The beautiful Puget Sound
Yea I really don't get why KGD seems to be so much more expensive, maybe it's because it has become kind of the "name brand" for japanese cotton, or maybe it is just better. We vapers have become victims of the law of supply and demand haha.

One other thing: These cotton products are originally used for cosmetic purposes, so it's possible a more expensive product like KGD is better at removing make up, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's a better e-cig wicking material. Just a thought.
Koh Gen Do cotton is what started all the interest in Japanese cotton.

KGD is only more expensive when you buy it from e-cig vendors and resellers like people on ebay. Retail price is $12 for 60 pads when you buy it from a cosmetics outlet or directly from Koh Gen Do, which is what I paid for mine.

The reason that I, and many others only use Koh Gen Do is because of this.
"Made from 100% cotton that has not been chemically treated, bleached or pigmented. Raised without the use of chemical fertilizer or pesticides to ensure pure, safe quality."
https://www.kohgendocosmetics.com/shopproductdetail.asp?prodID=27&catID=16

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
Is anybody pulling off the outer layers of the pad and just rolling the fluffy interior into a wick? Is it my imagination that this is the primo part of the KJD, or am I just being wasteful by tossing the thin, outer sheets?

the thin outer layer is the bacon of the filet mignon on a cotton pad ... IMO not to be discarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread