Journey of a European vaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

umbre18

Dec 9, 2018
Europe
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to say hello to this vaping community. I live in Belgium and have been vaping for about 5 years. I started with the fist ecig models which where leaking and often burning the cotton wick. Then I made my way to the more moden sub-ohm devices. Its only then that I could truly almost abandon cigarettes. I started to make my own eliquid too.

But I say "almost stop smoking cigarettes" for a clear reason. While actively vaping my own ejuice on various sub-ohm devices, I still craved a real cigarette regularly. Also, all the issues with leaking, ecigs opening in your pocket and liquid splashing all around or technical problems with the mod and its batteries have all annoyed me immensely.

My actual "hurrah" moment happened when I tried the Juul while vising Tel-Aviv a year ago. This small, sleek device packed a whole lot of nicotine. Also, it didn't produce that much cloud, which is perfect for discrete vaping in my opinion. The pod system was so easy to use. I immediately bought many pod packs before leaving Israel because I learned it was mosly only available in the US.

Of course I needed to reorder pods soon if I wanted to continue juuling. I was able to order some pods from some US websites, I got sold fake Juul pods through e-Bay, got a package rejected by customs and had an order just disappear too! Luckily I needed to go to the US for a business trip 3 months later. So on my voyage I collected about 30 packs pods along the way. I wanted to bring back even more but I still was bit wary of customs...

So I've been vaping my stash peacefully while all around the world vaping regulations were set in motion and being applied to countries in the European Unon. For me, the EU's TPD (Tobacco Products Directive) was terrible. The reason is that it limited to 20mg per ml the amount of nicotine permited to exist in ejuice. It actually meant that what I was doing was illegal because Juul pods contain 59mg/ml of nicotine!

The regulators didn't seem to understand that nicotine salts are actually always higher mg's. But the devices used to vape them are much weaker than sub-ohm ecigs. Therefore the amount of vape actually being inhaled is also much smaller...

In the meantime, in the US people where only talking about how teenagers where using the Juul and about how addictive the "kid friendly" ejuices such as mango or creme brule where (my actual favorites although I'm far from being a teenager). This ultimately obliged Juul to stop supplying shops the fruity flavors. Therefore they will not be available for me to buy anymore (you can only buy them in the US through Juul's website).

So I've thought long and hard about how to find worthy replacement for the Juul. I wanted a similar device with similar performance. And I needed to get ejuices to the EU. So I finally settled on a similar looking device called the Rubi (Kandypens). It seems like a nice product.

For my nicotine salts I have a good friend of mine who lives in Switzerland (this country is not part of the EU thanks god :) and he orders them for me. In two weeks I'll get them.

So all this to say Hello but also to present in what kind of crazy world we live here and how difficult it is for some to just vape. It seems everything is done just to prevent vaping freely. Cigarettes, on the other hand are available just everywhere. I also want to reach out to people in a similar situation. Please share your stories.

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
I freely admit that I only care about anti-vaping legislation insofar I need to learn what to circumvent and how.
I see no moral obligation whatsoever to abide by laws that are ultimately trying to kill me in order to fill someone else's wallet and I'm rather unapologetic about helping others to do the same.

for you, @umbre18 , you may want to look at the Vladdin RE, which was a very beloved re-fillable pod-system in 2018, it might make your life a bit easier.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
There are several opponents of e-cigarettes and they have a lot of money. There is the tobacco industry who want you to keep smoking, there is the pharmaceutical industry who want to sell lower quality smoking replacement products at vastly higher prices, and there is the anti smoking groups who see them as a threat to their crusade. The latter has the least money, but is often supported by the other groups when they attack e-cigarettes.

Storm52

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2014
Shreveport, LA
Welcome to the forum. Nic salt can contain any amount of nicotine, equal to, greater or less than freebase. The reason the jull satisfied your nic craving is the amount of nicotine being delivered. There is 50+ mg per ml in the jull, a far greater amount than your regular setup.

umbre18

Dec 9, 2018
Europe
Hey, thanks for the replies,

@tailland I wholly agree with your view and attitude to the situation. It's just really annoying. Especially when cigarettes are available everywhere.
Thanks for the recommendation of the Vladdin RE, it is exactly the type of ecigarette I am looking for. Will definetely check it out, probably buy it. I just have to find out what strength of nic salts to buy to get the same amount of nicotine.

@Storm52 Yes probably but with sub-ohm devices I was filling whole rooms with vapor and refilling it 4 times a day. Was I not then inhaling also equivalent amounts (or close-by) of nicotine? I use approx 1 Juul pod per day. Also with the Juul cigarettes taste like crap. I just don't want to touch them :)

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Yes probably but with sub-ohm devices I was filling whole rooms with vapor and refilling it 4 times a day. Was I not then inhaling also equivalent amounts (or close-by) of nicotine? I use approx 1 Juul pod per day. Also with the Juul cigarettes taste like crap. I just don't want to touch them :)

Right. You can get the same amount of nicotine other ways. Vape more with lower concentrations. Different devices. It's a shame you can't get the type of system that works for you. And I assume it's lot more expensive when you have to buy the nic in those tiny 18mg bottles.

Governments. Can't live with them, not allowed to overthrow them.

umbre18

Dec 9, 2018
Europe
Right. You can get the same amount of nicotine other ways. Vape more with lower concentrations. Different devices. It's a shame you can't get the type of system that works for you. And I assume it's lot more expensive when you have to buy the nic in those tiny 18mg bottles.

Governments. Can't live with them, not allowed to overthrow them.

Haha yes, only through voting I guess. But I think actually non-vapers don't understand why its bad for vapers to limit nicotine to 20mg/ml and bottle size to 10ml...

umbre18

Dec 9, 2018
Europe
Probably the wrong place to ask but I will anyway. With Brexit and the UK getting out of the EU, does that mean that the EU vaping restrictions are no longer in effect in the UK? Just curious......

Actually from what I understand and notice on the UK websites is that at the moment the UK is following the TPD direction and is applying the same restrictions. Of course who knows what will happen in the future.

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
Hey, thanks for the replies,

@tailland I wholly agree with your view and attitude to the situation. It's just really annoying. Especially when cigarettes are available everywhere.
Thanks for the recommendation of the Vladdin RE, it is exactly the type of ecigarette I am looking for. Will definetely check it out, probably buy it.
Visit -> Vladdin
I too have one Vladdin RE on the way to my place...

Reactions: stols001

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I am not into the pods but I try to keep up since I have a family member in college and they love the Juul. A number of them have purchased the Rubi and like it. I think those pods (Rubi) can be refilled a number of times so that is a definite advantage over the Juul.

I find it ridiculous that one can buy booze and cigs in a local store after showing ID but not vape gear.

Hope it all works out with the Rubi. Let us know.

umbre18

Dec 9, 2018
Europe
I am not into the pods but I try to keep up since I have a family member in college and they love the Juul. A number of them have purchased the Rubi and like it. I think those pods (Rubi) can be refilled a number of times so that is a definite advantage over the Juul.

I find it ridiculous that one can buy booze and cigs in a local store after showing ID but not vape gear.

Hope it all works out with the Rubi. Let us know.

Ah great to hear! I don't find that many discussions on the Kandypen Rubi. I'll let you know how it works out. Actually the gear is not the issue here in Europe, its the ejuice that its is not possible to get (that if you want juice thats more than 20mg).

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
Great thanks ! May I ask what type of e juice type and strength do you use in the Vladdin?
I'm not planning on vaping anything but what I normally use these days: my self-mixed VG80, 2-3mg/ml nic, menthol + fruit. Should the Vladdin's coils demand it, I'll add a few percents of distilled water for fluidity, but that's about it. I don't need lots of nic, because I've reduced the amount of nic in my liquids steadily from the very beginning of my vape journey.

umbre18

Dec 9, 2018
Europe

Hey Thanks @BrotherBob ! It does cheer me up :)) So let's stay positive. You can't imagine in Belgium how many ignorant people just come to me every week telling me: "hey you know that's worse than smoking..." because they read some stupid article somewhere online. I'm getting tired explaining to people that its actually combustion that causes cancer. But that's our responsibility. Spread the word!

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to say hello to this vaping community. I live in Belgium and have been vaping for about 5 years. I started with the fist ecig models which where leaking and often burning the cotton wick. Then I made my way to the more moden sub-ohm devices. Its only then that I could truly almost abandon cigarettes. I started to make my own eliquid too.

But I say "almost stop smoking cigarettes" for a clear reason. While actively vaping my own ejuice on various sub-ohm devices, I still craved a real cigarette regularly. Also, all the issues with leaking, ecigs opening in your pocket and liquid splashing all around or technical problems with the mod and its batteries have all annoyed me immensely.

My actual "hurrah" moment happened when I tried the Juul while vising Tel-Aviv a year ago. This small, sleek device packed a whole lot of nicotine. Also, it didn't produce that much cloud, which is perfect for discrete vaping in my opinion. The pod system was so easy to use. I immediately bought many pod packs before leaving Israel because I learned it was mosly only available in the US.

Of course I needed to reorder pods soon if I wanted to continue juuling. I was able to order some pods from some US websites, I got sold fake Juul pods through e-Bay, got a package rejected by customs and had an order just disappear too! Luckily I needed to go to the US for a business trip 3 months later. So on my voyage I collected about 30 packs pods along the way. I wanted to bring back even more but I still was bit wary of customs...

So I've been vaping my stash peacefully while all around the world vaping regulations were set in motion and being applied to countries in the European Unon. For me, the EU's TPD (Tobacco Products Directive) was terrible. The reason is that it limited to 20mg per ml the amount of nicotine permited to exist in ejuice. It actually meant that what I was doing was illegal because Juul pods contain 59mg/ml of nicotine!

The regulators didn't seem to understand that nicotine salts are actually always higher mg's. But the devices used to vape them are much weaker than sub-ohm ecigs. Therefore the amount of vape actually being inhaled is also much smaller...

In the meantime, in the US people where only talking about how teenagers where using the Juul and about how addictive the "kid friendly" ejuices such as mango or creme brule where (my actual favorites although I'm far from being a teenager). This ultimately obliged Juul to stop supplying shops the fruity flavors. Therefore they will not be available for me to buy anymore (you can only buy them in the US through Juul's website).

So I've thought long and hard about how to find worthy replacement for the Juul. I wanted a similar device with similar performance. And I needed to get ejuices to the EU. So I finally settled on a similar looking device called the Rubi (Kandypens). It seems like a nice product.

For my nicotine salts I have a good friend of mine who lives in Switzerland (this country is not part of the EU thanks god :) and he orders them for me. In two weeks I'll get them.

So all this to say Hello but also to present in what kind of crazy world we live here and how difficult it is for some to just vape. It seems everything is done just to prevent vaping freely. Cigarettes, on the other hand are available just everywhere. I also want to reach out to people in a similar situation. Please share your stories.
Welcome to ECF.
If you didn't know Juul is now selling refillable pods. All you would have to source is juice. Youtube also has a couple tutorials about refilling the older Juul pods.

Reactions: jwbnyc
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread