Status
Not open for further replies.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Good for him! That's a stressful job if he needs nicotine he should be allowed to get it, as long as is it doesn't disturb anybody in courtroom. Now the judge should let anybody vape as long as their not clouding up the room :thumb:.
I'm sure he would if he could.

Antwoord

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2010
U.S.
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!!
I'm not saying I haven't vaped where I'm not supposed to, but I'm also not a supreme court justice that sits on a bench in front of people who I'm passing judgment on for breaking the law. I've done plenty of dumb .... stuff over the course of many years, but I swear to God I would never try to harm the perceived image of vaping as a whole, and if a reporter eluded to the fact that I'd been caught I would have a lot more to say than, "No comment."

I once had a dream of vaping being perceived as a miracle for helping people quit smoking. Then I learned the true nature of the types of people who are against us. They would rather us die. They do not care about us at all. They use the healthcare and legal system to justify their blood thirsty prejudices and may be completely unaware of how monstrous they are. Then there's the other people who aren't truly against vaping or tobacco, but want to make money off of things like dead peasant's insurance. Equally evil in my opinion.

Once upon a time I thought we could present an unbreakable front to these people. I wanted to make them squirm instead of the other way around. That is all.

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
Good for him! That's a stressful job if he needs nicotine he should be allowed to get it, as long as is it doesn't disturb anybody in courtroom. Now the judge should let anybody vape as long as their not clouding up the room :thumb:.

NY has some of the most oppressive vape laws In the nation, as well as some of the highest vape taxes. Yet here he sits, vaping as if the law does'nt apply to him. I could/would give him some slack if he was trying to advocate, but his refusing to talk about it only paints him as a bold faced elitist. Tbh, I am not surprised. It is NY after all, and he is obviously part of the problem.

Please forgive me if I misread you post, I just tend to lose all sense of humor when the elites pass laws they refuse to follow themselves.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
I don't think he thought nobody would notice. As a judge you don't sit in an inconspicuous place, you're being watched from every possible angle in the room. Kind of like you're on a pedestal or something.
He must have done it deliberately with others seeing him do it in mind. As to the motivations for that - no idea.
What are the consequences of breaking that law? A fine?
Maybe he wanted to flip the bird at Bloomberg and was willing to pay the price.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I don't believe for one minute he thought he'd be caught. I do believe he had gotten complacent and forgot to cover the light with his pinky. I also believe that it is a very sad thing that a judge getting caught vaping is big news. Sensational news has overtaken news that actually matters. Of course this would not be the case if people would actually ignore the sensational news and demand intelligent and thoughtful news reports.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
But the city’s Health Department is refusing to charge him, claiming that photos showing him holding the device do not prove he inhaled.
Holding the device to his mouth, the light turning on which means it's operating, but no proof he inhaled?
What would be proof he inhaled? Visible vapor? I can vape without visible vapor ever leaving my mouth so does that mean I can vape wherever I want in the US because they can't prove I inhaled?
1x

Or would that change in an instant when they realize I'm not a judge?

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Holding the device to his mouth, the light turning on which means it's operating, but no proof he inhaled?
What would be proof he inhaled? Visible vapor? I can vape without visible vapor ever leaving my mouth so does that mean I can vape wherever I want in the US because they can't prove I inhaled?
1x

Or would that change in an instant when they realize I'm not a judge?

You are from Europe, you know how the game is played. :facepalm:
Same rules, different continent.

Cheers
I

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
What would be proof he inhaled?
Visible vapor? I can vape without visible vapor ever leaving my mouth so does that mean I can vape wherever I want in the US because they can't prove I inhaled?
87a7d9e85b92a41f5a71f41d7a7c9e12.jpg

Last edited:

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Years ago when I worked in an office I had to go outside to smoke. Sometimes I would stick a cig in my mouth for a while before a trip outside. I remember being in the elevator once heading out and I absentmindedly fired one up, in the middle of a bunch of people. Maybe the Judge got into the habit of holding the vape in his mouth like a pacifier and inhaled without intending to.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Years ago when I worked in an office I had to go outside to smoke. Sometimes I would stick a cig in my mouth for a while before a trip outside.
Hah! When they banned smoking in restaurants, I consistently used to stick a cig in my mouth when getting up from the table to depart. Dirty looks from other patrons were common, despite the fact that I never lit up until I was outside.

Maybe the Judge got into the habit of holding the vape in his mouth like a pacifier and inhaled without intending to.
What I wanna know is: If there was no visible vapor and no smell, and the blue light on the end was the only clue anyone had that he wasn't just fidgeting with or chewing on a pen, who was in any way harmed?

I'm tempted to make this judge a fake e-cig. One that has a blue light on the end that turns on when he bites down on the other end, but has absolutely no capability to hold any liquid or produce any vapor. What are they gonna do, charge him with chomping? ;)

Last edited:

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
I'm tempted to make this judge a fake e-cig. One that has a blue light on the end that turns on when he bites down on the other end, but has absolutely no capability to hold any liquid or produce any vapor. What are they gonna do, charge him with chomping?
I think not only that judge could find that useful. If NY streets are full of people using fake ecigs... pretty sure there's no law against that.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I am so torn by this. There is a huge part of me that wants to go, "You GO judge.... " And send him the cloudiest smok product I can!!!!!

Then there is the part of me that goes, "The judge should make a stealth vaping announcement for the entire court room since HE wants to be a vaping vigilante."

I also kind of feel bad, honestly. He looks like the kind of dude who started smoking cigars at the age of 12, he looks miserable and clearly needs a better set up.

Then there is part of me that goes, "I feel REALLY bad for the dude." Whether he is good at his job or not (IDK), he is clearly needing nicotine/vaping and I hate to see people suffer for their "sin actions" especially when I KNOW they aren't harmful to the general public, even slightly.

Also he likely doesn't deserve the kind of media "attention" he's getting, he's just a high profile vaper who either needs to accept he needs to use Swedish snus in the court room that, or learning to really stealth vape.

Then, there is the part of me that goes, "Way go go, judge, ruining it for the rest of us."

I feel his punishment should be going and hanging out with the FDA "vaping team," and letting them know what is and isn't okay.

Then there is the part of me that goes, "High profile figure, seen vaping, and it's kind of a win, about how harm reduction SPANS society, from the "lowest of the low" to a "supreme court judge," and perhaps some folks will pay attention to that.

But overall, I feel highly mixed about the situation although it's probably a 2 day puff piece, that will pass.... I'm not sure how it will impact vaping overall.

Mainly, though, judge, I'd love to teach you to stealth vape. Not gonna reach out because, uh.... well, for obvious reasons and etc.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread