Status
Not open for further replies.

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
In the land of no hills and red dirt
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modders-forum/90467-my-first-bottom-feed-box-mods.html

A short time ago, I received a PM from Kaji asking me to try and review his bottom fed wooden box mod. Being a 3rd gen vape ....., I naturally said yes.

The unit is an attractive two toned wooden box containing a 3ml juice bottle, on off switch, and connections for a 18650 3.7v battery. The front of the box is held on by two magnets, and contains a small button for priming the juice bottle. A black activation button, similar to the Reo, is on the right side of the unit. Kaji included a 510 LR atty, which works natively with the unit, a 901 atty and a 510 to 901 adapter. Kaji uses a copper tube to feed juice directly into attys, similar to the petercro's MkII and MkV mods.

The box is tiny compared to the Reo, roughly 3/4 of it's size. It's honestly twice the size of the Mr. Puffer, most of which can be attributed to carrying the 18650 vs. the 14500 on the MP. It seems again, attractive, and well made.

Like petercro's mods, the kaji resists flooding, probably as a result of its copper tube design. The 901 vapes well, equivalent to the 901 on the reo or the MP with good vape and taste. The surprising part is how well the LR 510 atty handles bottom juicing on this mod: normally, 510's are my least favored attys on 3rd gens, but I prefer it on this mod to the 901. The flood resistant design of this mod serves to considerably lessen the 3rd gen learning curve.

I've barely started using this mod, but I have to say that so far I like it. The only conceivable shortcoming with the design is the tiny 3ml bottle, but spares should be easy to carry on it.

I'll report back once I've used it a bit longer. Thanks for reading.

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
In the land of no hills and red dirt
Was vaping on my Kaji when the spousal unit comes by and starts quizzing me about it.

Mindy is so hard to please about vaping. I'm a vape ....., she's the dominatrix, and can spot any shortcoming in a mod in 30 seconds. She likes the dse905 but hates filling carts and dripping, passes on the 510 mod, and finds fault with every 3rd gen that I've ever tried. Which is danged near all of them so far. The closest she's come to being satisfied is her pink 901 mr puffer (referred to in the Anderson household and in NW OKC as the 'Mindy Puffer'), and she even finds fault with the detachable juice tube, limited capacity of the 14500 battery and position of the firing switch. (I won't say what she's opined on the other mods because it will make Carlos, Reo, Petercro and Imeo cry.)

She takes the Kaji, carefully looks it over, and her eyes widen as she takes a puff with the 510LR atty. "Ooh..." she says, "I think I like this one best of all!" and walks across the house with it, singing 'Mama's Got a Squeeze Box' as she exits.

"Hey", I yell after her, "I'm supposed to be doing a review about that mod!" Neither slowing or stopping, she turns and waves as she walks away singing. "One of us is going to have do an extended use review about that!" "I'll tell you in a month what I think about it.", she replies as she shuts the bedroom door behind her.

Wow. I've used a mod for less than five minutes, got vapejacked (by the police, nonetheless), and still may have to give Kaji the Nobel Prize for Vaping Design. :ohmy:

kaji

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2010
CA
Thanks for posting up the review Clyde, really appreciate you taking a look at this for me. I will post up some newer pictures of the boxes later today.

Glad to hear your wife is liking it as well, tell her we can do painted ones as well :) and I'd be happy to send one of those off to her for her to review.

Edit: Here are some updated pics:

124846464.he237Bkm.jpg

124846525.HHoi3cgt.jpg

124846144.47AmXRfw.jpg

124846256.5m4EW5cY.jpg

124846260.FEk6wgbU.jpg

124846343.RzYVLndX.jpg

124846461.ccaT90Xb.jpg

Last edited:

Bubo

ECF Veteran
Was vaping on my Kaji when the spousal unit comes by and starts quizzing me about it.

Mindy is so hard to please about vaping. I'm a vape ....., she's the dominatrix, and can spot any shortcoming in a mod in 30 seconds. She likes the dse905 but hates filling carts and dripping, passes on the 510 mod, and finds fault with every 3rd gen that I've ever tried. Which is danged near all of them so far. The closest she's come to being satisfied is her pink 901 mr puffer (referred to in the Anderson household and in NW OKC as the 'Mindy Puffer'), and she even finds fault with the detachable juice tube, limited capacity of the 14500 battery and position of the firing switch. (I won't say what she's opined on the other mods because it will make Carlos, Reo, Petercro and Imeo cry.)

She takes the Kaji, carefully looks it over, and her eyes widen as she takes a puff with the 510LR atty. "Ooh..." she says, "I think I like this one best of all!" and walks across the house with it, singing 'Mama's Got a Squeeze Box' as she exits.

"Hey", I yell after her, "I'm supposed to be doing a review about that mod!" Neither slowing or stopping, she turns and waves as she walks away singing. "One of us is going to have do an extended use review about that!" "I'll tell you in a month what I think about it.", she replies as she shuts the bedroom door behind her.

Wow. I've used a mod for less than five minutes, got vapejacked (by the police, nonetheless), and still may have to give Kaji the Nobel Prize for Vaping Design. :ohmy:

Thanks Clyde... (Or Mindy) I just spit up all over my monitor I was laughing so hard... Vapejacked?! 'Mama's Got a Squeeze Box'?! BWAH! :)

kaji

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2010
CA
We are in the final phase of testing, and are still evaluating how we will sell these. Once we hear back from all of our testers, we should be ready to go (should be in a week or two). The model that Clyde is currently testing, is a final design, but we have changed the manufacturing process on the atomizer connector on our latest models to ensure no leaking or seeping (we eliminated the o-ring and went with a epoxy as a sealer instead).

The boxes need to be made out of very hardwood, due to its size and the dimensions we are using (specifically the sides of the box) so we do not compromise strength by using woods that do not have the right characteristics. We have tested many different hardwoods and have gotten different results.

We would love to get some information on what people would like. Here is what we are thinking.

Option 1:We want to offer our main product as Yellowheart with Padauk ends (as pictured above). These seem to have the best combination of strength, grain and contrast we are looking for.

Option 2:We also want to offer custom wood selections that meet the criteria above. Some other woods that we feel would meet them are Purpleheart, Cherry, Koa, etc, in addition to yellowheart and padauk. These would cost a little more (basically the difference in cost of material).

Option 3:We also want to offer painted ones for people that do not like the look and feel of wood. These would again cost a little more than our standard ones. This is due to the additional manufacturing steps and cost of paint. These would still need to be made out of a very hardwood, we then fill the grain with filler, sand, paint (3 coats), then polyurethane (3 coats). All of this is done with professional painting equipment (no cans or brushes).

We will also be testing 801 and 901 native bottom feed systems shortly.

So tell us what you want, types of wood, color, etc and we will start looking at them.

kaji

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2010
CA
Very nice work Kaji. Good attention to detail. It's hard to tell from the pics but the painted ones look like they could be plastic. You should look into some of the wood dyes (I prefer solvent based) that are available to add some color while still allowing the natural look of wood to show through.

Thanks WillyB for the compliments. We are also looking at the staining and dyeing option as well and will explore it further if people are interested in that for custom boxes. The main reason the painted ones look like plastic, is because that is what we wanted. We know some people just do not like the look and feel of wood (my wife for example, that is her pink one in the pics). So we wanted to provide an option for them.

Last edited:

mini_art

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2010
Florida USA
I am a woodworker too, you have done a great job on these! They look fantastic.
As much as I love wood, I would still want a pink one LOL> Its a girly thing, even if I do love power tools and know how to use them :)
An unfinished wood is an interesting option too, for those of us that would like to paint or decorate it ourselves.

Last edited:

kaji

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2010
CA
Mini_art: Thanks for the compliments, and we have defiantly discussed offering unfinished boxes. We are even thinking about airbrushing with stencils or using printed overlays with poly as a top coat. If people want those types of options we have the ability (and equipment) to do them.

Ruchamah: Again, thanks for the compliments. We are still in the development stages (just about finished with testing), so quoting a price right now doesn't seem like it's the best thing to do until everything is finalized. I also must registered as a manufacturer before doing so, but I will say this, it will be competitively priced to other similar mods.

As far as a single tone cherry one, absolutely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread