Status
Not open for further replies.

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
In the land of no hills and red dirt
The 'clyde 2801' juice feeding wooden box mod is hard to write about, because it almost defies description. It is a whirling mass of contradictions* that inexplicably works very well so far.

Received the mod in my mailbox 4/9/10 for review. It is a solid piece of white oak with a side panel that slides down and out for access to a hollowed out battery and juice bottle compartment. The top has a large brass fitting to affix an 801 atty into, and the side has a single button towards the top near the atty for vaping. The door has a large spring loaded button to squeeze the juice bottle inside the mod. The unit also came with a 801 to 510 adapter and two mysterious 'o' rings. The unit is made to take a 3.7v 18650 battery, but also accommodates two cr123's for some satisfying high voltage nicotine inhalation.

That's right, I said a solid piece of wood. I originally thought that it was a wooden box until I realized my error. It's the ultimate in retro, beyond steampunk. Well made and finely finished, it looks like a upscale piece of furniture mated with a wooden child's table game from The Cracker Barrel or Nicholson Farms. The large brass fitting and simple buttons reinforce this concept. With no LED to indicate whether the unit is on or being activated, I could see this being vaped in Victorian England by a member of the well heeled gentry.

There is one fundamental flaw in the design: the sliding door on the side depends upon friction to hold it in place and slides down. You can guarantee that repeated, sustained use will diminish the friction and eventually cause the door to slide out of its groove and fall on the floor, and it is starting already. Had the door been designed to slide up, either a simple ledge on the bottom of the box or a wedge cut would have solved this problem. Fortunately, everything is securely in place in the box and the loss of a door will not affect the functioning of the unit. Redeyedancer informed me that a bit of elmer's glue will help with this issue, and I'll try it in the meanwhile.

The other quibble I have about the unit is the vaping button. I'm used to mechanical buttons where I can feel a contact or a click when it is activated. The clyde box has a soft button and involves a little guess work about how much pressure to apply to it. So far, it is reliable and has stood up to many activations in its short life so far. As long as it continues to work this is not a problem, but I have to fight an urge to mash the button as hard as I can to ensure it will vape.

Other than the novelty of the wood construction, the obvious questions are how well does this thing juice and vape. First, the juicing. Unlike most of the other mods I have tried, this mod does not have flexible plastic tubing connecting the bottle to the atty; the bottle top is securely fasted to the atty a'la the Highping 510 mod and has just enough flexibility to allow the bottle to be inserted and retracted. It feels solid and secure. It juices easily with a quick light press of the spring activated button. Any flooding can be handled by simply removing the atty from the brass fitting and blowing into it from the battery end. Any excess juice is caught inside the brass top fitting, which can be cleaned by a napkin, paper towel or q-tips. The inside of the box is so far clean and dry to the point of being pristine.

As previously stated, the mod (for some reason, even I am not so much of an egotist as to refer to it as the 'clyde2801' or the 'clyde') comes with a 801 attachment and a 801 to 510 adapter. Being a 510 man and fan, I attempted to use the adapter first, but could see a lot of juice escaping from it when juicing. Resolving that I would try to work on my technique later, I went to the 801.

There is a tiny learning curve to the unit here, but it is nothing compared to the PhD of vaping knowledge required for the Carlos Juice Box. I was able to consistently vape it within an hour of receiving it. My advice is to give the button light, quick presses until you can feel and hear a little gurgling in the atty during vaping, and hold the unit vertically like a pipe with the vaping button pointing towards you. A little harsh atty taste will tell you when it's time to juice again. The unit appears to handle a straight PG or PG/VG mixture equally well.

I'm also liking the 801 atty in this configuration. It doesn't have quite the luscious flavorful vape of the carlos juice box special atty, but it definitely lives in the same neighborhood. Of the third generation (juicing) mods that I've tried so far, it would receive 2nd place for vapor production and a very close 3rd place behind the 901 Mr. Puffer for tastiness. (Let me emphasize that despite the rankings, this is very high praise.) Unlike the CJB, a malfunctioning atty could be very easily repaired or replaced.

And also unlike my CJB, I was very quickly confident about taking this mod with me alone out into the world. It has been very solid and dependable, though the size, exposed buttons and lack of an on and off switch hinder its portability a little bit. I would feel confident about putting this into an inside jacket or suit pocket; otherwise, I would loosen the atty to prevent accidental activations.

Huh, I almost forgot to talk about the 'o' rings! Redeyedancer tells me that they can be used to create an adjustable draw on the unit. A ring can be placed on the outside of the atty and slide down into the brass fitting to create a tighter draw for the unit. While I prefer the lighter draw, I'm impressed by the ingenious simplicity of this option.

So far, this has been a very solid, unique and enjoyable PV, and I'm very impressed. I'll report back with my findings after I put this block of wood through some extended (ab)use. Thanks for reading.

http://s929.photobucket.com/albums/ad131/clyde2801/?action=view&current=DSC00025.jpg

*Dear God, did I actually quote 'Blazing Saddles' in this review?

Last edited:

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
After remembering an item on redeyedancer's thread, I was able to apply some water to the sides of the sliding wooden door. This caused the wood to swell a tiny bit and stop the sliding off problem.

Redeyedancer also informed me that my seeing juice bubble experience with the 510 adapter/atty was natural, and how the rig was supposed to work.

I'll try the 510 again, but not now. I'm still really liking my experience with the 801. I've also been informed that a 510 wood box version, code named Reo, may be on the way. Time to go check the mailbox...

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
After a couple of quick exchanges with redeyedancer, I learned that he sent me another wooden 3rd gen 510 mod, codenamed 'Reo'. Sure enough, there she was, waiting for me in the mailbox.

The only difference between the Reo and the Clyde2801 is the former uses a native 510 connection and the other a 801.

After a VERY preliminary test run, I can say that the Reo works the same way as my namesake, with a couple of important exceptions.

The first is that while the 801 can be easy to flood, the 510 can be a bit hard to get juice into, resulting in a harsh tasting vape. My solution was to hold the mod upside down and press the plunger HARD two or three times.

The other is that the vape and flavor do not compare to the 801. Yes, it vapes and you can taste some flavor, but it is closer to dripping drops on a blue foam cart mod than the CJB. This was also my experience with the 510 version of the Mr. Puffer. The irony is that until my foray into 3rd gen mods, the 510 was my dependable, daily-go-to mainstay of an atty.

After the thick, voluminous, tasty vape of the 801, the 510 seems like a cruel joke. But I'll put it through its paces, the only challenge being the act of putting the 801 down and leaving it out of my hand. :rolleyes:

BTW, I seem to be noticing a self juicing action with the 801...it seems a hard draw on that mod draws enough juice into it for sustained vaping without pushing on the bottle at all. It can be noisy to the point of being annoying to do so-just make sure you don't try this in a library-but its an unexpected bonus.

I also had a WTF moment earlier today when I noticed half of my GGTS on the kitchen countertop and freaked out momentarily until I could find the remainder of it. THAT'S how much I like these mods. :w00t: If the 801 holds up to sustained use, and the door problem can be solved, this sucker may just not be just worthy enough to buy, but be a gotta-have purchase.

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
Sadly enough, my high dollar mods have been sitting in a drawer while I've been putting clyde2801 through her paces. I consider them to be one of the best-if not the best-2nd generation (i.e., big battery, non juicing) mods, but they've become downright unexciting when compared to a functioning 3rd gen in the areas of vape and especially taste.

There is a sweet spot in the 801 for getting the right amount of juice for some great tasting vape, and I have missed it a few times. When I hit it, my draws sound like I'm slurping the last few ounces of cola out of a glass (Hey, I grew up in the days before free refills.) and you can really, really taste the flavor of what you're vaping. What's nice is that when I miss the mark and flood it, it's extremely easy to fix: three screws of the atty and two seconds of blowing it into a paper towel or napkin will get you back to billowing thick clouds of vapor.

Tastewise, the difference between this and a 2nd gen is like trying your favorite flavored coffee in a good drip coffee maker as compared to a great expresso machine. With the former, you can slurp a bit and taste a hint of say, hazelnut in the background. With the latter, the flavoring marches to the front of the formation and smartly salutes.

The other thing that comes to mind when trying mods is the difficulties that modders must face when dealing with consumers. Redeyedancer has been in contact with me concerning my 'meh' feelings towards his 510 'Reo' mod, and mentioned that some 510 attys do not allow for bottom juice feeding as well as others. Honestly, that had never occurred to me; I just assumed that his mod was at fault. An aspiring modder wanting to sell his creation had better either carry supplies on his site that he knows will work or clearly link or direct consumers to them, or his or her mod will take the blame. Same goes for adapters, batteries, etc. This especially counts for a multifunction mod like redeyedancer's wooden boxes.

I've asked redeyedancer for an adapter that will allow me to try a 901 atty on either the reo or the clyde2801. I've noticed a big difference between the 510 and 901 on the Mr. Puffer tastewise, and I want to see if this also applies to this mod.

By the way, my competitive streak is also itching to enter my 3rd generation comparison review in the ECF reviewer's contest. The clyde2801 will be compared to the carlos juice box, the mr puffer 901, and petercro's upcoming markV and the 2nd generation GG AFS (if they get here in time).

I'm wanting to do something a tiny bit unconventional to showcase and compare the different juicing methods, designs and capabilities of the various mods instead of a straight ranking or yea or nay, but it may test my allegorical skills to their limits. Wish me luck.

Last edited:

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
If you recessed a magnet in the door and the box, glued id and small, the door won't slide on you. Nice mod though and it's oak.
Thank you 5cardstud that is exactly what i plan to do.Yes it is oak MastiffMike had the same idea I guess great minds think alike.

Last edited:

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
Received a care package in the mail from redeyeancer for the reo consisting of a 510 atty/empty cart, a similar 901 setup and a mini flashlight from madvapes.

Okay, it WAS my 510 attys that were the problem. It takes a big man to admit when he was wrong, and I am a big man. (After watching petercro's video on the MkV box, I'm tempted to write back and say, screw the Mod, give me your DIET!!!) Same for you, too, Redeyedancer....

Anyhou, Reo's going out on the town with me today for a more extended trial run. (While my GGTS's sit alone in my dark desk drawer, crying themselves to sleep...so sad.) It says something about the durability and dependability of these mods that I'm confident enough to take them out with me without having a trust 2nd gen nearby as security blanket; a feeling that I've lacked with other 3rd gens that I've tried. Modders be steppin' up their game...Both are holding up quite well to my ham-handed chain vaping. I'm almost completely over my instinctual distrust of the soft action of the vaping button.

So far, my current impression is that the 510 still does not have quite the yummy, enhanced taste of the 801 when trying flavored juice. OTOH, it doesn't flood nearly as easily. I have to decide if this is a worthwhile trade off.

I'd also like to ask redeyedancer a quick couple of questions:

1. Where did you get your 510 attys that work for the Reo? Are they authentic joy510's or knock offs, and does that make a difference?

2. What have you found to be the ideal liquid for your mods, PG VG or a mixture thereof? Unlike other 3rd gen mods I've tried, yours handles straight PG pretty darned well, but I want to make sure I try the optimum mix.

Thanks.

Last edited:

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
Received a care package in the mail from redeyeancer for the reo consisting of a 510 atty/empty cart, a similar 901 setup and a mini flashlight from madvapes.

Okay, it WAS my 510 attys that were the problem. It takes a big man to admit when he was wrong, and I am a big man. (After watching petercro's video on the MkV box, I'm tempted to write back and say, screw the Mod, give me your DIET!!!) Same for you, too, Redeyedancer....

Anyhou, Reo's going out on the town with me today for a more extended trial run. (While my GGTS's sit alone in my dark desk drawer, crying themselves to sleep...so sad.) It says something about the durability and dependability of these mods that I'm confident enough to take them out with me without having a trust 2nd gen nearby as security blanket; a feeling that I've lacked with other 3rd gens that I've tried. Modders be steppin' up their game...Both are holding up quite well to my ham-handed chain vaping. I'm almost completely over my instinctual distrust of the soft action of the vaping button.

So far, my current impression is that the 510 still does not have quite the yummy, enhanced taste of the 801 when trying flavored juice. OTOH, it doesn't flood nearly as easily. I have to decide if this is a worthwhile trade off.

I'd also like to ask redeyedancer a quick couple of questions:

1. Where did you get your 510 attys that work for the Reo? Are they authentic joy510's or knock offs, and does that make a difference?

2. What have you found to be the ideal liquid for your mods, PG VG or a mixture thereof? Unlike other 3rd gen mods I've tried, yours handles straight PG pretty darned well, but I want to make sure I try the optimum mix.

Thanks.
Clyde it was my fault in the first place I should have sent you the proper attys and adapters when i sent you the first mod.This is not your typical mod so there is bit of a learning curve.It has taught me a good lesson I can assure you i wont make the same mistake again.I run mostly vg ejuice in my mods not because i have to. I just like vg ejuice.I Think it depends on what atty your using or if you are using a adapter.I have been running this mod heavy on the nhaler Lr 510.I never flood the mod with this configuration.Haven't had a chance to run it on many 510s yet.I have run into 510s that dont run as well still need to do a run down on the 510s.I think the mod runs better while using one of the adapters i get none of the gurgling lol while using a adapter.Oh your nhaler lr atty will be in your mail box soon it has been shipped.3.7 volts only on this atty and it plumes no need for six volts using that configuration.I think you will be retiring both your reos when you get your new reo.Brazilian cherry with a birds eye maple door.This model will have a on and off switch also i have the door issue fixed and a new switch.I am still up & the air on the switch.The switch on the models you have know i have had running on one of my bottom fed mods from 2 months ago.Thanks again Clyde

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
A Peek at the new cherry Reo

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

c3.jpg

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
1. So the care package didn't have a LV 510, it had a regular 510? Where did this come from, and was it authentic joye or a knock off like the 510 I originally had?

2. And the RED boxes will handle straight VG, too (I've got some fairly thick stuff from mist-styx.)? They handle straight PG very well, unlike a lot of the other 3rd gens I've demolished-uh, tried. And the straight VG will work better on the adapters? These boxes make me think of a good ol' dependable farm truck or tractor, that'll burn whatever fuel you have handy.

3. I'm coming around and warming up to the switches on mine. There's no discernable click on it, but it works very easily and reliably which is the purpose of the whole thing.

4. So far, no problems with accidental activation on either the reo or clyde in a suit pocket, even without an on/off switch. Because of the roughly pack of analogs size of this mod, I see a lot of reforming smokers carrying these in suits and shirt pockets like they did analogs.

5. Still a toss up on whether I like the less steep learning curve on the 510 or the increased vape/flavor of the 801. (To me the yum yum yum factor is the big reason to go with a 3rd gen mod, instead of not having the 'hassle' of dripping or refilling carts.) Clyde's going with me to the Okla. Cty courthouse today with what many 3rd gen modders consider to be the 30/70 vg/pg sweet spot of juices.

Last edited:

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
1. With the 801 version, patience is a virtue when pumping/juicing. The vape will start to taste dry, and I have to give it a few seconds after I press the bottle. It's like the juice needs a bit of time to get through the atty and get situated on the wick. If I don't give it that extra time, it still tastes dry and an extra pump or two will flood it a few seconds later.

2. Like my 2nd gens, I can notice an improvement in vape quality when using the aw high drain 18650's.

3. Unlike the 2nd gens that I adore, this unit and the cjb seems to be more efficient at using the batteries: I seem to be able to use them longer, and don't seem to have to charge them as often.

4. It's really frakkin nice to travel light with these mods: a spare 18650 battery and a full bottle of juice, and that's it for supplies for the day. It's almost liberating to not have to carry around bottles of juice, carts, batteries, chargers and the like.

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
1. So the care package didn't have a LV 510, it had a regular 510? Where did this come from, and was it authentic joye or a knock off like the 510 I originally had?

2. And the RED boxes will handle straight VG, too (I've got some fairly thick stuff from mist-styx.)? They handle straight PG very well, unlike a lot of the other 3rd gens I've demolished-uh, tried. And the straight VG will work better on the adapters? These boxes make me think of a good ol' dependable farm truck or tractor, that'll burn whatever fuel you have handy.

3. I'm coming around and warming up to the switches on mine. There's no discernable click on it, but it works very easily and reliably which is the purpose of the whole thing.

4. So far, no problems with accidental activation on either the reo or clyde in a suit pocket, even without an on/off switch. Because of the roughly pack of analogs size of this mod, I see a lot of reforming smokers carrying these in suits and shirt pockets like they did analogs.

5. Still a toss up on whether I like the less steep learning curve on the 510 or the increased vape/flavor of the 801. (To me the yum yum yum factor is the big reason to go with a 3rd gen mod, instead of not having the 'hassle' of dripping or refilling carts.) Clyde's going with me to the Okla. Cty courthouse today with what many 3rd gen modders consider to be the 30/70 vg/pg sweet spot of juices.

Hey Clyde your Lv 510 is in route from nhaler.I was looking over one of the 510s I thought wasn't working on the mod and come to find out it was the atty tip not the atty somthing else to look for when you think you have a bum atty.I was always a 801 man before this mod so some of these things I am learning on the go as you are.Anytime you change a bottom fed mod be it bottle size feed tube length of feed tube it effects how the mod will run. I run Alien vision e juice Most of the time and its thick.I think this does help with the flooding.I have some 510s on order i will weed out any culprits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread