Status
Not open for further replies.

Bammer555

Verified Member
Dec 13, 2014
I can't wait to receive my Subtank Mini (it just left FT, so I'll have to bite my nails for another 1-2 weeks).

Having said that, I'm extremely curious if there's a way to make this tank more mouth-to-lung friendly. It's the only way I can vape comfortably - direct lung inhales seem close to waterboarding to me.
I understand that this atty is primarily oriented towards the subohming, DTL (direct-to-lung) crowd, which I respect mightily, but can't physically join: the tank is pre-fitted with the subohm OCC, as is the ready-made coil in the RBA head.
So I was wondering if some of you lucky ones who are already using this mini can help me with my MTL (mouth-to-lung) issue via a build of some sort. The 1.2 ohm OCC coil that comes in the box seems to be helpful for me, but many reviews specifically state it's still too „airy” for a satisfactory MTL draw - even at the minimal setting (1 hole).
What would be a good way to get a tight, dense draw? OCC rebuild? RBA rebuild? What coil? What wick? If possible, in millimeters, please! :)
One last mention (if it matters at all): it will sit on top of a Cloupor mini.

Thanks in advance!

Smaller bore drip tip and single hole partially closed works pretty good for an MTL hit for me. The bigger problem for me and as mentioned above is the warm vape, i'ts really warm. I didn't think much of it at first but after using it for a while I'm really noticing it now. Switched to the 1.2ohm and vaping at 13watts it's still warmer then my Atlantis at 25watts. That said I'm still impressed with the flavor and vape production.:)

vjdossey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Antioch, CA
Smaller bore drip tip and single hole partially closed works pretty good for an MTL hit for me. The bigger problem for me and as mentioned above is the warm vape, i'ts really warm. I didn't think much of it at first but after using it for a while I'm really noticing it now. Switched to the 1.2ohm and vaping at 13watts it's still warmer then my Atlantis at 25watts. That said I'm still impressed with the flavor and vape production.:)

This is good info :) hopefully there will be a good sale this weekend. I'm soooo ready to try this tank out!

Bammer555

Verified Member
Dec 13, 2014
can any1 confirm the drip tip is 510, i tried the tip from my nautilus mini and that tip is a hair too wide and wont fit the subtank.
or can any1 confirm the nautilus has a 510 trip tip

Im curious about this as well. The nauty and atlantis tips are to big and the mini tip is loose fitting on my Atlantis. I'll mic them when I get home today.

discobear79

Verified Member
Apr 18, 2014
Providence, RI
Hi, I've had the big Subtank for 3 weeks or so, I'm still on the 1st coil. I only use it at home because its so big. I've probably gone through about 20ml or so and no problems. I got the mini last Friday and it worked great all weekend using the OCC 1.2 coils . This afternoon it tasted horrible. When I got home from work, I changed the coil and it still tastes like crap. I have primed it correctly I believe. I always put a couple drops on coil, then take a few hits with no airflow then let it sit. I am soaking the tank itself in hot water right now.. What is causing it to taste so bad? It's not a burnt taste just tastes awful. Guess I'll try the rba part. I have all the stuff, but I've never done it before...

Last edited:

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Hi, I've had the big Subtank for 3 weeks or so, I'm still on the 1st coil. I only use it at home because its so big. I've probably gone through about 20ml or so and no problems. I got the mini last Friday and it worked great all weekend using the OCC 1.2 coils . This afternoon it tasted horrible. When I got home from work, I changed the coil and it still tastes like crap. I have primed it correctly I believe. I always put a couple drops on coil, then take a few hits with no airflow then let it sit. I am soaking the tank itself in hot water right now.. What is causing it to taste so bad? It's not a burnt taste just tastes awful. Guess I'll try the rba part. I have all the stuff, but I've never done it before...

Bad taste but not burny...hmmmm..flooding .Flooding caused by an under wicked coil,bad electrical connection, low battery or too low of a wattage setting can cause bad and harsh taste. Make sure your batt and wattage is up, replace the wick head and give it another try

discobear79

Verified Member
Apr 18, 2014
Providence, RI
Thanks. I've been vaping these coils at 20/22 watts. I've had burnt tastes in the past on other tanks, it wasn't really burnt This was just a horrible taste. the 1st coil was the one I got with the tank, then the second one was from a 5 pack I got.. I think it might be a something to do with the tank. I was chain vaping at break at work when it started tasting like crap, the second coil might have tasted bad because I didn't clean out the tank I just dumped the juice. Hoping this does the trick.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Bad taste but not burny...hmmmm..flooding .Flooding caused by an under wicked coil,bad electrical connection, low battery or too low of a wattage setting can cause bad and harsh taste. Make sure your batt and wattage is up, replace the wick head and give it another try

I got to ashy about the same point on both coils for the Mini And sub cig, about 3-4 days. The first 3 coils I was able to keep flavor flowing out to 7-10 days with periodic purging with VG. But the .5Ω coil as with discobear is tasting like machine oil so it's likely going down next. I do wash all my tanks before testing and did here. Just a hot water soak and rinse in distilled so I could get to it. It's a longer and repeated process when I have time. I don't use any cleaners when test tasting new tanks or factory coils. When the Mini's flow started to struggle a bit I hit it hard early. Started vigorously shaking the tank each fill to blend the VG and worked it pretty hard since last night. It's when I started this that the taste started to change. So there may have been something to P Busardo's observation but I again I differ that it has anything to do with the silicone anywhere. As coil performance and res are holding about as expected, I strongly suspect some lubricant residue left in a crease somewhere instead.

Thanks. I've been vaping these coils at 20/22 watts. I've had burnt tastes in the past on other tanks, it wasn't really burnt This was just a horrible taste. the 1st coil was the one I got with the tank, then the second one was from a 5 pack I got.. I think it might be a something to do with the tank. I was chain vaping at break at work when it started tasting like crap, the second coil might have tasted bad because I didn't clean out the tank I just dumped the juice. Hoping this does the trick.

I think you probably found it to taste better after that tank cleaning. Not unusual for the factory coils to get cruddy after a few days as cig suggested. And cotton can saturate with debris a lot faster with some juices than synthetics. But it's thankfully easy to lightly pulse the coils clean and rewick them with cotton. Worth a try.

Haven't analyzed the RBA yet cig. Still trying to get to it tonite or in the a.m. Rebuild info as available on the PTMicro thread.

Good luck all.

:)

407039d1422335161-protank-microcoil-discussion-img_1330a.jpg

BigMak45

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Central Minnesota
the second coil might have tasted bad because I didn't clean out the tank I just dumped the juice. Hoping this does the trick.

I bet that's it. I had, and others have commented on, a taste of oil from the manufacturing process. A good wash with soap and hot water should get rid of that.

Keep us posted if that's the problem.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Thanks a million, Bammer!

Would a Pyrex drip tip help alleviate the hot vape problem?

Hey flap. It'll def help you handle it. But it won't reduce the hot vapor texture, no.

Thicker wire on the sub-Ω presents a lot of contact surface to the wick but even more to air. So it's resulting in that hot diffuse taste experience. If you like that kind of production and want to make it denser, you'll have to cook it yourself and rebuild.

I found the 1.2Ω to have better flavor and vapor volume on both the Sub and Mini.

Good luck.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I bet that's it. I had, and others have commented on, a taste of oil from the manufacturing process. A good wash with soap and hot water should get rid of that.

Keep us posted if that's the problem.

BM thought I'd give you a nod here and others. Know there's a lot of new vapers hitting this thread.

Quick tip on what's worked for me as I'm very flavor sensitive and that's baking soda toothpaste. Very lightly applied with a soft toothbrush and not too much pressure to avoid scratching plastic tanks. I've yet to see it frost plastic and the oxidation dissolves stubborn juices and VG. No sticky fragrances in B/S toothpaste so it dries without residue if well rinsed or hot soaked and no smell. Baking soda toothpaste will make short work of any lubricant residue. But if you can spring for a ultrasonic...do it. It makes anything you clean brand new.

Most anything else including mild dish soaps leave fragrances I can detect.

Failed to do that with the test tank above. Paid the price. :D

Of course to coin a caution you'll see a million times here YMMV. LOL

Take care and good luck.

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
how's the rba prt compared to kfl+? i'm planning to get one this weekend. how many ml is the capacity when using with rba? thanks guys!

Hey dk, welcome. Check this and the Protank MicroCoil Discussion!! thread for impressions, results and advanced rebuilding alternatives.

If I recall a remark from Pete Busardo's side-by-side eval of the final's that it was a bit less with the RBA. From looking at the tank perhaps a ml. Looked like a lot. But no way tellin' if he filled it up all the way. I'll try and remember to syringe fill when I do so we can get a real number.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread