Status
Not open for further replies.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
As far as vape quality I definitely don't find tc better than kanthal. I just find tc great for work or being lazy. I work in a sheet metal shop and break a lot of mods and tanks so tend to use tanks that are all ss. With not knowing what my juice level is or bringing juice with me to work tc has been a life saver. I just really like not having to think about my vape at all.
I have a similar experience with ss but my feelings are much different. Trying ss was like the clouds parted and I finally seen the sun for the first time. I definitely get a more mellow vape but no less TH or flavor. The Th just seems to be shorter in duration but just as sharp. I just don't get this twang I get with kanthal. I never even noticed it until trying ss and going back to kanthal after a couple weeks. I'm doing a poor job trying to explain it but it wasn't a metal taste really. Just a sharpness that isn't there with ss. I guess similar to a cheaper scotch compared to a well aged scotch. Idk...
I think "twang" is right...I guess I am to use to that and kind of like it

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Reactions: mrcrunch08

MKID

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2015
Southern CAL
@mrcrunch08

Hi, you may want to look at this diagram as it is the same thing as the Prime:
Kayfun 5 Ersatzteile - Kayfun 5 - Ersatzteile

Start by unscrewing the 510 pin and remove UC Ring, Parts #1 and #3
Unscrew Center post #6 using a 5mm socket and you will see what comes apart.
Take all of those parts, clean, dry and reassemble.
Make sure the center post is screwed tight as it plays a BIG part in conductivity in relation to temp control, be careful with over tightening. (The center post on my Prime was barely snug, but not tight when I received it)
When reassembling make sure juice control is open at least two turns to prevent any pressure on #1,#3, and #4 which could prevent #1 from being screwed tight.

You will notice your airflow control become a little more snug in a good way, and your resistance may/should stabilize.

Also if you are using 316, do not dry burn it. Dry burning changes 316's molecular structure affecting its TCR.

Hope it helps

Last edited:
Reactions: Fredman1

mrcrunch08

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2013
mount airy, NC
@mrcrunch08

Hi, you may want to look at this diagram as it is the same thing as the Prime:
Kayfun 5 Ersatzteile - Kayfun 5 - Ersatzteile

Start by unscrewing the 510 pin and remove UC Ring, Parts #1 and #3
Unscrew Center post #6 using a 5mm socket and you will see what comes apart.
Take all of those parts, clean, dry and reassemble.
Make sure the center post is screwed tight as it plays a BIG part in conductivity in relation to temp control, be careful with over tightening. (The center post on my Prime was barely snug, but not tight when I received it)
When reassembling make sure juice control is open at least two turns to prevent any pressure on #1,#3, and #4 which could prevent #1 from being screwed tight.

You will notice your airflow control become a little more snug in a good way, and your resistance may/should stabilize.

Also if you are using 316, do not dry burn it. Dry burning changes 316's molecular structure affecting its TCR.

Hope it helps
IMG_20171003_132554.jpg

Thanks, unfortunately I have done that multiple times with no improvement. So far the only thing that showed promise was increasing the resistance of my coils. I have it to the point where it is manageable since my last build and hopefully it will become even more stable once my thinner wire arrives and I can get myself closer to 1ohm. One cool thing I can say about the prime is it's the first tank that has ever showed a negative fahrenheit reading on my 75c.

Last edited:

mrcrunch08

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2013
mount airy, NC
@mrcrunch08
Are you still using phillips head screws?
Yes, the flat heads are what I used when I first installed screws but they got annoying so swapped them out. I did try them again when I seen your first post mentioning them but didn't get a different behavior in tc compared to the phillips so I went back. They both seem to perform identically and clamp the wire easily in my case.

Zombo

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2013
Philadelphia, PA, USA
I am excited about this. I have been waiting for a short version Kayfun for a while now. I love my K5, but it's a bit too long and top heavy on my Radius, so I only vape it at home. The only thing that worries me is the change to the airhole. Unlike most Kayfun fans, I prefer a more airy MTL (hence my love for the K5). How open does the Prime go? As a point of reference, I keep the K5 on its most open setting, and my Siren on the second or third hole (depending on my mood). I think another poster mentioned it felt like a notch below full open on K5....I might be able to adjust to that.....

AstroTurf

Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
I am excited about this. I have been waiting for a short version Kayfun for a while now. I love my K5, but it's a bit too long and top heavy on my Radius, so I only vape it at home. The only thing that worries me is the change to the airhole. Unlike most Kayfun fans, I prefer a more airy MTL (hence my love for the K5). How open does the Prime go? As a point of reference, I keep the K5 on its most open setting, and my Siren on the second or third hole (depending on my mood). I think another poster mentioned it felt like a notch below full open on K5....I might be able to adjust to that.....
Perhaps a better match for you...

Kayfun 5s - Kayfun 5 & Accessories - Atomizer

Reactions: jwbnyc

mrcrunch08

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2013
mount airy, NC
@mrcrunch08
I had similar issue which was resolved when I replaced the screws. KP is running perfectly fine in TC mode since then.

Is resistance fluctuating in the wattage mode too?
Yes, I don't seem to be the only one either. The small fluctuations don't matter much in wattage though haven't messed with wattage since my first build or two. Two of my coworkers just got theirs and they are having the same exact issues I am. Videos seem to be popping up with others with similar experiences though some are far worse that mine. Tc just isn't that great with prime. Everyone having issues seem to be under 1ohm and I am still waiting on thinner wire. There just isn't a solid negative connection on the prime just like there wasn't with the mini v3 or v5 so I shouldn't be surprised I am having the same issues with TC many had with those.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
I'm still using my Kayfun V4 simply because the throat hit is perfect. No other tank i've ever had comes close.

I have a Russian 91%. Apart from all the obvious problems that come with it, if i were to compare it to the Kayfun V4, i'd say the Russian provides a much less noticeable throat hit. (Both were compared with smoke juice from the same bottle- hundreds of times !).

I'd judge any and all tanks i've used and will be using to the experience i get from the Kayfun V4.

So my question, to anyone who can provide a suitable answer is "Does the Kayfun Prime produce a throat hit as good as the V4 does ?".

I realise these particular threads are read and written by big Svoemesto Kayfun fans.Therefore i'm also aware that if Svoemesto produce something then most will go out and buy it whether it's any good or not (K5 thread is full of testamonials to that fact). I'm not one of those people !. I just want to know if this thing can do what the V4 does. The fact that design has been improved, and ignoring the existence of the K5 abomination (Never owned one but rely on threads such as the K5 thread to make up my mind for me), is this new innovation an improvement over the V4 as far as vapour qualily (Mainly texture) is concerned ?. To me, the Prime "IS" the real K5.

I have no experience of any other Kayfuns. I won't understand you if you start comparing any of these tanks. Closest thing i have, apart from an authentic V4, is a Russian 91%. And if the Russian is anything like any previous iterations of Kayfun then that Kayfun won't work for me anyway.

I read the descriptions of the Prime and it does have a smaller evaporation chamber, apparently to increase flavour. My concern, seeing as the Russian has quite a small chamber, is a smaller chamber might not produce a worthwhile throat hit. Does it or not ?.

If you do use a V4 for the same reason i do and have recently acquired a Kayfun Prime, and have used it, could you please tell me if i should even bother buying a Prime. I do like the improvements and i am hopeful that the Prime is in actual fact the genuine evolutionary Kayfun and not just another piece of crap like the K5.

I had to stop smoking for health reasons about 4/5 years ago. I loved smoking and really didn't want to give up, not at all !. Present day i genuinely don't smoke habitually nor socially. What a tank is capable of providing means everything. It isn't neccessarily about aesthetics or improvements really. It is simply about what the tank does to the smoke juice and what the texture of that vapour has, does to my throat. If vaping could in no way totally replace smoking for me, which is what the V4 does, then i wouldn't bother vaping.

I don't know who here still smokes, who here vapes for a hobby or does it to cut down on their smoking habit. So i don't know who here takes vaping as seriously as me, i'm a deadly serious vaper, like my life literally depended on it. Flavour doesn't matter so much, the improvements do. If this new tank has been compomised purely to improve aesthetics and usability then i'm not interested in it. What i am interested in is the facts which can be provided by someone who is as passionate about getting a satisfying vape as i am. I'm not asking if anyone agrees or disagrees with the content of this post. Just an honest, basic, transparent assessment of the Prime's ability to satisfy the cravings. Which, i am afraid to say, is something members have completely forgotten about seems to me. Either that or just don't bother posting about it. Funny aint it !. Everyone's concerned about usability and aesthetics. No one seems to ever post about whether these devices actually satisfy the cravings associated with smoking. Which, may i remind you, why anyone bothers vaping to begin with.

The Prime does look absolutely lovely though, doesn't it ?. Like those dummy phones you get in phone shops.

Who cares how it looks !?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Anisette

AstroTurf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
I'm still using my Kayfun V4 simply because the throat hit is perfect. No other tank i've ever had comes close.

I have a Russian 91%. Apart from all the obvious problems that come with it, if i were to compare it to the Kayfun V4, i'd say the Russian provides a much less noticeable throat hit. (Both were compared with smoke juice from the same bottle- hundreds of times !).

I'd judge any and all tanks i've used and will be using to the experience i get from the Kayfun V4.

So my question, to anyone who can provide a suitable answer is "Does the Kayfun Prime produce a throat hit as good as the V4 does ?".

I realise these particular threads are read and written by big Svoemesto Kayfun fans.Therefore i'm also aware that if Svoemesto produce something then most will go out and buy it whether it's any good or not (K5 thread is full of testamonials to that fact). I'm not one of those people !. I just want to know if this thing can do what the V4 does. The fact that it's design has been improved, and ignoring the existence of the K5 abomination (Never owned one but rely on threads such as the K5 thread to make up my mind for me), is this new innovation an improvement over the V4 as far as vapour qualily (Mainly texture) is concerned ?. To me, the Prime "IS" the real K5.

I have no experience of any other Kayfuns. I won't understand you if you start comparing any of these tanks. Closest thing i have, apart from an authentic V4, is a Russian 91%. And if the Russian is anything like any previous iterations of Kayfun then that Kayfun won't work for me anyway.

I read the descriptions of the Prime and it does have a smaller evaporation chamber, apparently to increase flavour. My concern, seeing as the Russian has quite a small chamber, is a smaller chamber might not produce a worthwhile throat hit. Does it or not ?.

If you do use a V4 for the same reason i do and have recently acquired a Kayfun Prime, and have used it, could you please tell me if i should even bother buying a Prime. I do like the improvements and i am hopeful that the Prime is in actual fact the genuine evolutionary Kayfun and not just another piece of crap like the K5.

I had to stop smoking for health reasons about 4/5 years ago. I loved smoking and really didn't want to give up, not at all !. Present day i genuinely don't smoke habitually nor socially. What a tank is capable of providing means everything. It isn't neccessarily about aesthetics or improvements really. It is simply about what the tank does to the smoke juice and what the texture of that vapour has, does to my throat. If vaping could in no way totally replace smoking for me, which is what the V4 does, then i wouldn't bother vaping.

I don't know who here still smokes, who here vapes for a hobby or does it to cut down on their smoking habit. So i don't know who here takes vaping as seriously as me, i'm a deadly serious vaper, like my life literally depended on it. Flavour doesn't matter so much, the improvements do. So if this new tank has been compomised purely to improve aesthetics and usability then i'm not interested in it, what i am interested in is the facts which can be provided by someone who is as passionate at getting a satisfying vape as i am. I'm not asking if anyone agrees or disagrees with the content of this post. Just an honest, basic, transparent assessment of the Prime's ability to satisfy the cravings.
Any tank properly setup can satisfy my cravings...

It just has to be built right.

I also think that your not owning a tank and discounting it's ability to do what you want is poppycock.

Airflow, Coil Height, Coil Type, and Power all contribute to a satisfying vape.

Expand your experience, beyond just reading, and you can find a new best tank for you.

Good Luck, Jim

• Winner
Reactions: ToolmanTexas

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
Any tank properly setup can satisfy my cravings...

It just has to be built right.

I also think that your not owning a tank and discounting it's ability to do what you want is poppycock.

Airflow, Coil Height, Coil Type, and Power all contribute to a satisfying vape.

Expand your experience, beyond just reading, and you can find a new best tank for you.

Good Luck, Jim

You wouldn't happen to know anything about the Prime would you ?. Talking about the fundamental question i asked. The only content of your post is patronization. Not a very pleasent response from my point of view. And saying good luck at the end doesn't make it ok.

OK !, Jim.

I'm michael. Very nice to meet you.

AstroTurf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
In order for me to describe or illustrate my question to get the answer i need i said some things which you may not agree with. These aren't things i want you to get hung up on.
I only know that coil height can effect throat hit.

Other than that, I'm clueless.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
Ordinarily these days, and for a good few months now i've been using 5 wraps of 29g kanthal (About 1 ohm). It stays ridgid, it's easy to re-wick (everytime the tank empties) and enables me to use very little power. That optimizes my entire setup. Big coils, small coils, more power, don't matter, makes no difference in vapour quality. It all comes out the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread