The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Kayfun - Show us your Setup

Discussion in 'RTA' started by BaDaBooM, Feb 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. JimmyDB

JimmyDB Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 3, 2014
    Looks good in the pics :)

2. 1mouse3

1mouse3 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 9, 2014
    dark side of the moon
    in theory its a good ideal but when adding cotton an a poor wicking clone, you get a failed experiment. It did good till i dried out the cotton an had to drip it a few to re-soak the wick. will experiment will it a bit more

edit: it be good idle to check before finishing that i did not accidentally block the flutes

3. JimmyDB

Sep 3, 2014
  4. 1mouse3

Nov 9, 2014
    dark side of the moon
    thanks could not get it to post the pics so just gave a link

5. JimmyDB

Sep 3, 2014
    ... any time...

I need to buy more KFs... cause I decided to change flavors today on it, even though I had just re-coiled it the other day...

"DO NOT ADJUST YOUR MONITOR",... that's just the color of my juice ( Bionic Vapor - Passion Cruise ) ;) Again... self wet'd via wicking action, otherwise brand new wick in there. The coil has ran about 10mL and hardly even needed a dry-burn really. I used a lot less wick this time, we will see how it holds up.

[​IMG]

6. 1mouse3

Nov 9, 2014
    dark side of the moon
    the coil is giving me skeet performance on a 3.7 18350 with a slight burnt taste but on my 4.8v 17650 it gives good vapor an flavor. this kayfun is trying to contradict me

7. bholcomb22

bholcomb22 Super Member Verified Member

May 13, 2014
    Denver, CO
    What are the specs on that coil? looks huge.

8. JimmyDB

Sep 3, 2014
    Both of those batteries are 3.7V nominal [right?], basically the voltage ranges up to about 4.2V when fully charged. What mod are you using?

9. JimmyDB

Sep 3, 2014
    It kind of is huge...

26g K-A1 wrapped on a 1/8" arbor that I measure as 3.175mm by calipers, and it ended up a tiny bit loose on there, but not much, so the actual ID is probably as much as 3.2mm. Spaced as it is, it's about 3.7mm across and came out to 0.8 Ohms.

EDIT: That doesn't seem right... I'm checking on it. yeah, that seems about right based on measures of the image.

10. 1mouse3

Nov 9, 2014
    dark side of the moon
    no the 17650 is a 4 stack 1/3a nimh at 4.8v norm, a chiyou 18350 an mcv overdose 18650. trying to come up with a good coil to in this aiolos I am getting against a 3.7v 14650

11. JimmyDB

Sep 3, 2014
    Ok, that's why I was wondering... only giving dims can get confusing :)

Since this is mechanical... do you know what the sag is on the batteries under load or what the drop is from the mods? I'm guessing you don't have a regulated device for testing what desired wattages work well with this build.

EDIT: Hang on... are you saying that the 17650 NiMH is only about 330mAh? What's the continuous draw rating for that puppy?

12. 1mouse3

Nov 9, 2014
    dark side of the moon
    no sure on the voltage on the batterys or the mod and I do not currently have a regulated device. trying to go by this calculator but it is not giving me the most correct results, I know my wire is 0.01729 Ω/mm. the batters I will be using is a efest 18350 800mah an latter on will be a efest 14650 900mah, I am wattling on a nemi nemisis

Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

EDIT: the 17650 NiMh is 600mah and not trying to set up a build use on it at the moment, I had a 10rap 2.3ohm 30g 2.5mm coil that worked good on that

13. gwhetzler

gwhetzler Senior Member Verified Member

Jul 10, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    2014-07-11 22.06.55.jpg
    My kayfun on my tree of life mod. Good stuff.
    What type of coils do you all run on yours I'm currently at 1.3ish ohms on 28ga kanthal normal standard build but I'm about to try my hand at a stovepipe style build and see how it goes. Always looking to get the best flavor out of her.

14. Kevin littell

Kevin littell Super Member ECF Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Covington Ga
    IMHO the vape doesnt change much.....

but it doesnt junk the coils as bad and the draw is alittle easier.

I run a 1.2 ohm 28 ga Nichrome.....get the bottom off the deck or the deck acts like a heat sink.

15. 1mouse3

Nov 9, 2014
    dark side of the moon
    found the voltage drop on this efest 18350 an its a sad battery, need to look more into 14500/14650 batters an find the best since it may be no better

[​IMG]

16. 1mouse3

Nov 9, 2014
    dark side of the moon
  17. AMDTrucking

AMDTrucking Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Dec 7, 2013
    California
    I always wanted to increase airflow on Kayfun. Today I actually did it.:

[​IMG]

18. Hawaiian Nate

Hawaiian Nate Senior Member ECF Veteran

Aug 24, 2014
    Wisconsin
    How is it working out? Did you have to dremel out the juice wells to keep up with wicking?

19. Hawaiian Nate

Hawaiian Nate Senior Member ECF Veteran

Aug 24, 2014
    Wisconsin
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416620915.611850.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416620935.754454.jpg

It's not mine (my dremel skills and patients isn't that great but it's getting there. I might have to buy a couple more 3.1's to get it right) but she looks purdy.

The whistling is coming from the actual air intake and not where the old screw went. It kills me cause I beveled out that hole which was a PITA being slanted and it still whistles. I changed out the center pin with a new pin from Kayfunmods.com that was drilled out to 5/64 I believe. Airflow is great now, just the whistles and a lot more dry hits. I'm working on my wicking so I hope that helps a bit and I'm also thinking of making those juice wells deeper to help with wicking.

20. JD1

JD1 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Nov 20, 2010
    KY
    I highly recommend that you don't go any lower than that with those batteries. On a fresh charged battery, you're at 3.5 amps already. Keep a sharp check on them and if they're getting anything above barely warm, I'd recommend going up another wrap or two.

My preferred wrap with 28 ga is about 8 tight wraps on a 1.6mm screwdriver for about 1.3 ohms. I wish heat up time was a tad faster, but temp wise that's where I like it. I see posts where a lot of folks like about .8, and it sounds like that's what you need to try, but I'd highly suggest waiting on some better batteries before you go there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.