Why don't we have a Kayfun (any version, originals and clones) owners group?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Hi.
I wrote a lengthy post yesterday but got distracted and forgot to press the submit button... Duh :(

Second attempt:

I'm starting to agree with you. I like the twisted more than the parallel. The twisted crackles every time and produces thicker vapor. It also could be the wicking but my bets are on the coil.

The Orchid got me excited, especially coupled with an 18350 Nanos mod from MM. That thing must be super short and small.

About fb... Sorry, I closed my account years ago. Teaching and girls posting stupid things on my wall was pissing off my wife so I rather closed the dam thing before things would go out of control.

I also saw the Orchid v3. Seems pretty nice. You could only use the base though and the top cap you could borrow from a kayfun?

Yes, the capacity is low but I'm using a kayfun nano with maybe the same capacity so I'm used to refill twice or three times a day. I just like having everything as small as possible.

Regards
Tony

Sent from my GT-I9195 through Tapatalk

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Ripped out my parallel coil today and returned to a twisted one, 32 gauge, 2mm id, 5 wraps 1.31 Ohms full contact wicked with rayon.

I missed the crackling and thick vapor at 10w.

If you like a smoother vape, strait parallel with 32 gauge does wonders :)

Regards
Tony

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Well since I'm probably the last man with a kayfun on this thread, a few pics for eternity:

Coil set on deck

78c505260ab658fa7b6398594592346f.jpg

Looks good

24dddaf2ea8026a5f97587b9ade2f0db.jpg

Not tight enough

4e3ce4c8371bc4bef92134ca14ca55b2.jpg

Now it's better

d42d881204d91dacc4c0ee8bb1590c44.jpg

Regards
Tony

K*Rose

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2011
South Jersey
I have 3 KFL+'s. I love them. In 4 years of vaping, they are my most favorite item. Easy and cheap to maintain and completely fiddle proof, if you set them up right. My only complaint is my V1 leaks out the fill screw. It's not horrible but enough to annoy me. Does anyone know what the size of the full screw is? I'd like to pick up a couple.

regal55

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2013
york,PA
Don't throw the towel just yet, Regal. I'm 67 yo and even with extremely shaky hands can manage to coil a KfL or 3.1. You want to try a challenging one? Get an Igo W2. Those are challenging. Last time I redid mine I swore it was the last time and it might... :/

Truly, for a simple build at 1.1~1.2Ω (1.5 is reputedly the sweet spot of Kayfuns but I really prefer closer to 1.0) the toothpick is a real simple solution. For some reason they all come around 1.9 to 2.0mm in diameter, so for my target resistance, six wraps of 28ga Kanthal A1 do the trick. If you prefer to go higher in resistance —say the recommended 1.5Ω– just use 30ga. You should do a build of no less than 5~6 wraps and no more than 9~10. Otherwise you lose flavor or heat.

I just tested how long it takes to build a KFL+, including disassembly, removal of old build, wash and rebuild.

Pics following. Editing them took more time than the actual build.

View attachment 367572

View attachment 367573

View attachment 367574

View attachment 367575

Following in next message... Hang on.

This is such a great forum, thankyou. I have 5 out of 6 successful rewicks on my new Ehphro. My first Ephro was the problem alll along, the chuice hannells weren't cut deeep enough, oh how many hourse I wasteed with dry hits on that thing.

I am still nervous about changing the wick. I run a single 5/64 coil #1.5 ohms at a right angle to the posts. I buy my coils from ebay 'cause I can't figure out this coil winder.

How much wick to use.? I have been using just enough to stick to the vertical was and drape onto the horizantal wall. Then after soaking puttting the chimney back on I use needle tweezers to sprad the horzontal away from tjuice channel inlets. Does this sound like the proper technique?

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
This is such a great forum, thankyou. I have 5 out of 6 successful rewicks on my new Ehphro. My first Ephro was the problem alll along, the chuice hannells weren't cut deeep enough, oh how many hourse I wasteed with dry hits on that thing.

I am still nervous about changing the wick. I run a single 5/64 coil #1.5 ohms at a right angle to the posts. I buy my coils from ebay 'cause I can't figure out this coil winder.

How much wick to use.? I have been using just enough to stick to the vertical was and drape onto the horizantal wall. Then after soaking puttting the chimney back on I use needle tweezers to sprad the horzontal away from tjuice channel inlets. Does this sound like the proper technique?
So you have your new one already? And having much better results? Awesome! Basically it sounds like your method is sound and pretty much how I do it. I also like slightly angled coils for 2 reasons, one it just works better with slightly longer coils and 2, it places the wick tails so you can slightly angle them on the ledge. The only issue I possible see is that with your size coil, it may be slightly to much tail down on the ledge. When I use that size coil, I slightly trim my tail amounts by like 15 percent. Now if you are using a straight coil where the tails are just straight down barely touching ledge, then there is no issues. Anyways I'm not sure how to paste a picture while using my phone cause I usually do that on my pc but I have posted a pic of my wick in the kayfun thread that shows the best wick configuration for an angled coil. But that's how I do it, angled coil then paste the wick down and slightly across ledge, then install chimney.

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Orings flatten very quickly!! I have never seen the delrin screw. Who carries them? It's not on their site.
I posted this on another thread but since it's my fault I forgot to answer you, here it is:

http://www.svoemesto.de/kayfun-lite...hraube-poly.html?___store=en&___from_store=de

And yes, it's on their site... At least on the German version :)

As far as I could read, they made it because people were loosing that tiny o ring all the time.

Regards
Tony

regal55

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2013
york,PA
Two days ago regal55 and flexsr were stating that Kayfuns are insane to build. Last night I posted some pics of my method. Tonight I made a video and should be now accessible in You Tube. Sorry for the thick English but I think the images don't require much explanation.

This is probably the best utube kayfun build video I've seen and I've seen a lot. One small request could you or anyone for that matter get a couple still shots of the wick laid on the deck before screwing on the tube/chimney. You used about 3 times more cotton than I did and its because I try to avoid the top of the juice channel. Thankyou very much for putting this together.

regal55

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2013
york,PA
Wow I don't think you could get that much cotton in that short of space with KGD Pads. Mine is much much thinner and I have some success but I'm always nervous about dry hits with a new build. The coil has to be just right to support the lighter amount of cotton.

You also have cotton on top of the juice channel, I always thought that was not good but it must mean don't get cotton in the vertical section of the channel which you have done nicely.

Thanks for all this valuable info.

Last edited:

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Hi.
Remember this is rayon (cellucotton). It doesn't expand. It actually shrinks a little. Since that wicking you see is a week old, it has shrunken a bit. Actually I'm pretty sure it collapsed on one side but since it's working perfectly, why replace it? :)

As far as I know, you can put the rayon on the deck and on the feeding holes but you need to make sure they don't enter the hole or you might have problems.

I'm pretty sure anything works in a kayfun.

If you think that is much, wait until I take a pic of my kf mini deck lol

Regards
Tony

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Ok, in the name of science I rewicked that kf.

By no means I'm saying this is how it should be done. It just happens to work for me very well. Never had a dry hit and can't even remember what a gurgle is despite having this setup layed on its side at least 6 hours per day while I sleep

Remember... This is rayon, not cotton

538cd19b53dd0c6f40b3a08ad5d95355.jpg

73a4976b72e04bfaf035010c6182b34b.jpg

a0f0c9576e2f4a55e1744dd4d48d1373.jpg

50f695a50b8b19ff82281a4090577092.jpg

c6e55d99011f5ef86e4a9b3840fab951.jpg

Regards
Tony

regal55

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2013
york,PA
Maybe this will help. It's rayon and as you can see, it's one week old and fluffier on one side but it's working perfectly. No dry hits and no gurgling

65e2d49472fa800303c15d3eaa898b9d.jpg

9addf5e731205535d79b73c16cfc862a.jpg

Regards
Tony

Ok, in the name of science I rewicked that kf.

By no means I'm saying this is how it should be done. It just happens to work for me very well. Never had a dry hit and can't even remember what a gurgle is despite having this setup layed on its side at least 6 hours per day while I sleep

Remember... This is rayon, not cotton

538cd19b53dd0c6f40b3a08ad5d95355.jpg

73a4976b72e04bfaf035010c6182b34b.jpg

a0f0c9576e2f4a55e1744dd4d48d1373.jpg

50f695a50b8b19ff82281a4090577092.jpg

c6e55d99011f5ef86e4a9b3840fab951.jpg

Regards
Tony

You guys really nailed it for me. I pullled out the $18 FastTech and decided to build from the video all the way to the pictures. I was even able to build my own coil with one of those little coil winders. Anyway I have the wicking down to a science I can turn the heat up a lot further than I could before. I had made a black currant cav NET that never tasted right I decided to give a second chance, wow what a difference 5 watts makes this stuff tastes good now.

I found some luer-lock blunt 18 gauge tips so I can fill precisely and without making a mess now. I can actually poke the needle into the chamber of the tank and see it in the needle in the tank..

Question is: holding horizontal how far can you fill.. ??

chiliphil1

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
Barnesville, ga
Two days ago regal55 and flexsr were stating that Kayfuns are insane to build. Last night I posted some pics of my method. Tonight I made a video and should be now accessible in You Tube. Sorry for the thick English but I think the images don't require much explanation.

Thank you for posting the video, it gives me a lot of confidence when thinking of going to an RBA. I do have a potentially dumb question though, I have seen a lot of the word "clone" What does this mean? In my mind clone would mean a copy of a kayfun and not a genuine one, is that correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread