LavaTube arrived today

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulc35

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mason,Wv
First impressions. First I'll list what I have already. 2 Darwins , an Innovapor Apex Ultramax, Bombshell, Omega, Prodigy V3.1, every Ego, Riva, and Tornado made.

Ok on with initial thoughts on Volcano's Lava Tube. It uses the AW IMR 18650 1600mah batttery. You Can't use other 18650s like Trustfires the ones with the internal protection circuitry as they are to long.

The feel of the LavaTube is just great. It has what looks like an anonized finish, but smooth. It does have a shine to it.
It feels like a polymer plastic type, but very solid not cheap like. It is the lightest weight mod I have ever held, which after holding the Darwin is a nice new feature for me. I would say its closest in size to the Prodigy V3.

As Grimm says it has that wonderful Clicky button. You have on one side the small LCD screen 2 pos, neg buttons and one power button below that. That screen only lights up when you are adjusting the voltage. The activation button is just around the side so that if you like your button on top you LCD screen and adjustment buttons will be on the right side.

Its a 510 connection that provides superb airflow. No problem with any manufacturers threads. They all work and smooth as they should be.

One of the problems I have had with the most expensive USA mods is that some things are over engineered usually the threading.

I wish one designer would make threading that can't be stripped. Like make the well and threads out of Tungsten. That should do it. Unlike the provari you don't have to memorize number of clicks to get to this and that. Just turn it on and take it up or down....

Report again after I've had some time with this very cool mod

Attachments

• IMG0008.jpg
    IMG0008.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG0010.jpg
    IMG0010.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:

paulc35

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mason,Wv
Mine is somewhere between Hawaii and Pennsylvania. This is my first mod and I hope it will last awhile till I can find a VV box mod with the same features. I also hope it will save me from blowing attys on my usb passthrough.

I have several mods and so far the Lava Tube performs very well. I get 12hrs out of the battery non stop vapor

wazzup592

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2011
Ohio USA
Doesn't seem to do voltage under load either. Ill needto get an in line volt meter to confirm. I think my riva does more at a full charge than this atty on 4 volts. Its got 1.6 ohms resistance when I tested so its just a hair under 2.5 amps... so far im not.impressed at all with this, actually almost disappointed

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

landscaper

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2011
Atlanta
I found this.

Selectable voltage from 3v to 6v in 0.1v increments
Power on/Off Button- hold the button down for 5 seconds to turn the device on, hold the button again for 5 seconds to turn the device off.
+ Button: On press, increases voltage by .1 increments between 3volt and 6 volt. When you reach 6 volts, the user starts back at 3 volts
- Button: On press, decreases voltage by .1 increments between 3volt and 6 volt. When you reach 3 volts, the user starts back at 6 volts
+ and – Button: Press and hold both buttons for five second to disable the + and – button, locking the device on the voltage it is currently set at.
Regulated output which keeps the voltage the same with each puff - regardless of the remaining battery power. As the battery drains, the device will keep the voltage consistent.
If the activation button is held down for 10 seconds or longer, the Lavatube will shut itself off until the button is released. To prevent overheating the atomizer and the device.
Short Circuit/Atomizer Protection. Unlike the Provari and its E2 error, the Lavatube recognize an atomizer with too low of a resistance for the current voltage set and will drop the voltage to 3.7v to protect both the battery and atomizer. If the atomizer is too low or shorted out it will shut off power to the device to protect the Lavatube from being damaged.
Reverse Battery Protection – Protects the device in case you put the battery in the device backwards
Battery Monitoring/Over-Discharge Protection – The device will monitor the battery voltage and automatically turn off when the battery is discharged, preventing damage to the battery by overly depleting it.
Battery Voltage Meter. The Lavetube has a voltage meter built in, simply press the red power button 7 times and it will display the voltage of the battery for a few seconds. This way you can monitor the power left on the battery before it needs to be recharged. These batteries are fulling charged at 4.2v and need to be recharged when they reach the 3.3v level. The LCD screen will flash when the battery needs to be recharged, and will stop powering the device.
Amperage Limiting to 2.5 amps – The device should monitor and shut itself off if it detects any excessive over-current conditions.
Vent hole on the bottom of the device for added safety

Could be why you are having problems.

Dave

paulc35

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mason,Wv
Oh that sucks. I did read somewhere that only the atties that they sell are supposed to be used on the tube.

Don't believe that is true. I think some may just have defective threads. I use 510 cartomizers. Boge and Smoke tech. I haven't had a single issue with the threads no matter how tight the cartomizer is put on. Now I would say to be careful in not having the threads lined up correctly. It looks like you could easily strip the threads. That being said I haven't had any issues.

Coming from Grimm Green's review this LavaTube my be smarter than any of us thought. Grimm put on a voltmeter to see if the Lava Tube was putting out the correct voltage. Now the one thing he noticed and myself is that if you put on a LR cartomizer the Lava Tube won't allow you to try and put 6volts through it as any of us that have ran 6v through a 1.7ohm cartomizer knows you get that nice burnt taste. I don't remember the exact voltage, but it stops at what would probably be the max voltage for the given resistance. I'm using a 2ohm cartomizer and even if I turn it up to 6v it vapes great but probably is not putting more than 4 volts into it.
The only resistance of LR and dual coil that allowed you to put all the way up to 6v into the carto was standard cartomizers of around 3ohm. Watch Grimms follow up review of the lava tube on you tube and get the specifics.

Ok in all that now that I've had the Lava Tube since released for the money its great. The AW high drain 18650s last around 10hrs with constant vaping. For the money this is a great buy. The red lettering down the side has pretty much worn completely off. Who cares. If you want an inexpensive VV mod that does use some auto control then this is a great mod.

It is however No! No Darwin. To this day nothing tops the Darwin. Evolv customer service is top notch if needed. It is worth the $250 price tag. Check Nhaler's website for availability, or email Drew at Nhaler.

The only high priced mod I have that I have issue with is the Apex Ultramax. 2 problems. 1-The most important is the threading on these are very sensitive and strip easily. I was told by the retailer the threads were designed for the Joye atty- Over Engineered. 2- The slide, which is the activating button with the standard spring as I now understand there is a lower resistance spring available is to tough to slide consistantly. The aluminum and the oils, or sweat that develop on your fingers will make it impossible to slide the switch without washing your hands and wiping down the ultramax body. Also the switch is sensitive to being clean, or it will not activate with every contact. If they would put good solid threads (strip proof at this price) which can reach almost reach $400 in kit form then go to a bottom buttom activator and redesigned button (juice well) then it would be a good mod. This is my opinion as I know others love it, but its to high maintenance for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread