Difference between Lavatube and Provari

Status
Not open for further replies.

reeftivo

ECF Veteran
May 28, 2010
Chino, california
read up on the specs for each.

The Provari is probably the best VV mod out there. Tons of features and built as good as they get from most reviews.

I plan to aquire a Provari in the near future but right now I'm more than happy with my LT.

I have several mods but only 2 VV's. The Lavatube and the varicool.

My LT is built well and I've yet to experience any issues with the 510 connector or end cap that some have had.

My only knock on the LT is that DC cartos don't work well because of the limitor, so I have to use 2 and 3 ohm cartos.

Mine operates fantastic with the single coil 2 or 3 ohm. My juices are nice at 4.5 volts with nice warmth and solid throat hit.

Still looking forward to the provari down the road but for now I'm happy.

Tivo

Hottody

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2011
Temcula CA
Ok, Heavy119, I have both the Provari and Lava Tube! Both are nice devices and allow one to ajust voltage. This gives one the ability to generate more vapor and make adjustments that enhance the flavor of the e-liquid! The Lava tube is made out of aluminum, lighter and made in China. The Provari made out of steel, heavier, better built and made in America. I love my Lava Tube / Vector Variable Volt from Vapor Beast and really like it. If money is not a conern the Provari is one of the best mods one can buy! If you are on a budget, the Lava tube will work just fine. VaporBeast sells Everything needed for around $68.00 bucks with free shipping! http://www.vaporbeast.com/product_p/skvb.htm.

Provari is allot more because you have to buy the batteries, charger, extention cap. Again if money is not a concern go Provari!
ProVari Variable Voltage Ecig: Best Variable Voltage E Cig Available!

Last edited:

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
<~ waiting for Chrispy critter to chime in

LoL

Sorry I was busy practicing guitar then eating leftover KFC..since you asked I'll chime in :D They both vary the voltage however the current Provari has a higher amp limit..there is a higher amp LT coming.

If you are going to try to drive dual coils up high to a high voltage the Provari would do better. Also low resistance single coils need more amps to drive them so the Provari would do better there also..But these VV single battery tubes work best on single coils in the normal resistance range and if you need really high amps stacked battery VV devices can go even higher.

I don't recommend going to high voltage because then things get to hot and things can melt then you might be inhaling things you don't want to..I suggest staying within the recommended range on the safe vaping chart you can find around here..that recommends staying under 9w..watts depend on the ohm of the coil.

If you're not someone who feels the need to go overboard the LT is a nice solid device that can be bought in a kit for around $60 for the current version compared to about $212 for a Provari kit..the newer versions of the LT are a bit more but they are just starting to come to market.

One of the things that turns me off to the Provari besides the high price is it has 1 button for it's functions and to change anything it's a somewhat cumbersome task. The LT has a +/- button making it way easier to change voltages. If you search Lavatube (or LT) vs Provari you will find some more info on here, YouTube or with a Google search.

I myself own 1 LT and plan on at least a second one..it does what I need it to well and "won't break the bank" buying it...

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
I think the only difference is that you can get the Provari in 24K gold. But I think even then it has a transparent plastic button =(

LOL..you could probably gold plate a LT especially the new chrome and stainless ones..it might be some work though because you would have to pull it apart...

Foggy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2009
breaking my refresh button
I own both.

Before you consider moving up to either model I urge you to read the following:

The Battery Page

It's very important to be aware of the risks of rechargeable batteries; which ones to use, how to charge them, etc. These batteries will explode and have exploded casing serious injuries if used incorrectly, so please educate yourself first. I'm not trying to be alarmist, or saying don't move up to a mod. I'm saying know what precautions to take before you leap. Also, you won't be able to walk into a retail store and buy batteries.

That being said, a comparison between the Provari and Lavatube:

- The Provari is more consistent, vape after vape. It does exactly what you expect.
- The Provari is made in the USA of more durable materials.
- The Provari will check the ohms of the atomizer / cartomizer that is attached to it.
- The Provari comes with a one year warranty. You can buy a one year extension from Provape, or the secondary market, such as Square Trade.
- The Provari can only be purchased in the US from Provape as far as I know.
- The new V2 version has increased the amperage limit to 3.5. If you exceed this level, the unit will stop working and flash an error code.

- The Lavatube will maintain voltage on a fresh battery. I do notice a performance drop off as the battery gets lower.
- L-Rider manufactured the original Lavatube. It appears there are other Chinese companies that have come out with the same product, but I haven't done a ton of research to confirm.
- There are multiple suppliers that you can buy one from in the USA, sold under many different names.
- The original version is limited to 2.5 Amps. It will automatically reduce the voltage with no warning if you exceed this limit. New versions are coming out with a higher limit. You would need to research them.
- Warranties vary wildly from virtually none to 1 year.
- It's a mass produced lower quality variable voltage mod. I've returned the first one I purchased under warranty, (top cap came off). It needs to be sent back again because the button doesn't work 90% of the time. We've also adjusted the spring in all of ours to maintain battery contact.

Summary:

If you have the money, buy a Provari hands down.

If you want a lower cost entry point into a VV mod, buy a lavatube, but only from a supplier that offers a one year warranty. I know of two:

Apollo Vtube:

- I don't recommend the charger with their kit. Testing shows the Xtar or PILA chargers to be safer options. Also, the battery manufacturer is unknown.

Volcano Lavatube

- - I don't recommend the charger with their kit. Testing shows the Xtar or PILA chargers to be safer options. They do ship genuine AW IMR batteries with their kits.

It might be better to buy the tube alone, get batteries and a charger from Super T:

For the full size:

Screenshot2012-04-26at125832AM.png

For the mini:

Screenshot2012-04-26at125915AM.png

Example XTAR and PILA chargers:

Screenshot2012-04-26at10013AM.png

Screenshot2012-04-26at10031AM.png

There's nothing inherently wrong with the Lavatube. It has done a lot for vapers by introducing a low cost entry point to a VV mod. We own three of them currently and two Provaris between my husband and me. I do prefer the Provari for both the quality feel of the mod and the performance. I don't know if I would have purchased one if I hadn't owned the Lavatube first.

Foggy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2009
breaking my refresh button
Thank you max, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if I missed something. :)

One of the things that turns me off to the Provari besides the high price is it has 1 button for it's functions and to change anything it's a somewhat cumbersome task. The LT has a +/- button making it way easier to change voltages. If you search Lavatube (or LT) vs Provari you will find some more info on here, YouTube or with a Google search.

I did have this concern before I owned one. After a run through the menu about twice, you can easily find what you want, probably similar to an ipod. I will admit to being button happy occasionally and having to go around twice. :laugh: Still the one button thing is a non issue after owning one.

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
Thank you max, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if I missed something. :)

I did have this concern before I owned one. After a run through the menu about twice, you can easily find what you want, probably similar to an ipod. I will admit to being button happy occasionally and having to go around twice. :laugh: Still the one button thing is a non issue after owning one.

I have no doubt I could figure it out with little issue and already know pretty much how it works..but I know without using it changing voltage up and down would be a PIA with all the waiting for the menu.

I mean it can't be to hard to someone who's been gaming since a little kid in the 70's (1st game I played was Pong around 75/76) can it?..I probably have played and beat a couple thousand games in my life..also I can take a car just about completely apart and put it back together..never did a transmission though..had a frame off though.

Anyways I've pressed a lot of buttons and can tell waiting a couple seconds between selecting a menu item isn't for me and would rather have a voltage up and down button. I guess if you stay at one volt a lot it wouldn't be much of an issue..I like to change mine..with my LT a lot of times I don't even have to look at the screen to do so.

It's funny you mention an Apple produce because it reminds me of the 1 button mouse..I use all of my buttons on my mouse a lot everyday..I wouldn't be able to do what I do with my mouse so easily if it had one button..I even use the scroll wheel button to open tabs a lot..it also works well to open things in my history with one click and other things...

Last edited:

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
They both do the same thing.
Buy 1 provari per year
Buy 4 (strike that and make it 5 or 6 lol) lavatubes per year

THE CYLON VV MOD Black or silver for $49.95 (BTW if you look the mini's are selling for that too) in a full 2 battery kit and a chrome full kit for $59.95 CHROME ALL METAL CYLON VV MOD.

Maybe in a few months you will be able to but 7-8 a year lol..I can see myself owning at least 3 "LT's" in the near future :) If anybody doubts that these are decent read the reviews on "LT's" they get good reviews.

Sure some people will get bad ones on occasion because they are so mass produced (like all mass produced things) but on most sites the I've seen them on they get pretty good reviews..so there can't be that many going bad or having issues...

Edit: Hmm the price changed since I posted this less than a day ago..maybe it was a sale or they decided it was too cheap lol..I was really tempted to buy 1 or 2 at that price..well I'm sure it will be that low or lower in price soon on other sites if not there...

Last edited:

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
And what about this : ss chrome
It's Lava tube or different ?

Most likely..but Apollo's price has gone way up if you look you have to add $35 for chrome or copper and $55 for stainless..I think once they see what they are selling for at other places they will probably lower at least the chrome one...

*ASH*

لــــونــــــا
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Germany
Most likely..but Apollo's price has gone way up if you look you have to add $35 for chrome or copper and $55 for stainless..I think once they see what they are selling for at other places they will probably lower at least the chrome one...

b4 2 day it was at 10$ if u want it chrome I dont know why they make it up like that !

Heavy119

Moved On
Mar 31, 2012
Carriere, Mississippi
Thanks for all the great information everyone. I have one more question if you don't mind:

What does everyone use on these....Tanks, cartomizers or ??
And which tanks/cartos?
I currently use just a battery and cartos, I know I will need an adapter, I currently am waiting on one to arrive in the mail.
The cartos I have are these:
IKV MEGA KR-808 Cartomizer STD Black 3.0
They are 3 ohm.......will these work or do I need low resistance ones?

Again thanks, I learned a lot.

invididual

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Lakeland, FL
Thanks for all the great information everyone. I have one more question if you don't mind:

What does everyone use on these....Tanks, cartomizers or ??
And which tanks/cartos?
I currently use just a battery and cartos, I know I will need an adapter, I currently am waiting on one to arrive in the mail.
The cartos I have are these:
IKV MEGA KR-808 Cartomizer STD Black 3.0
They are 3 ohm.......will these work or do I need low resistance ones?

Again thanks, I learned a lot.

You need to use 510 cartomizers, I use the smoktech 2.0 single coil tank cartomizer on a smoktech 6ml tank, I'm using a LT, but I'm drooling over the provari, I can link them a little later once I get home

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread