Leaking battery?? Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobmelton127

Sep 27, 2015
image.jpeg
So I pulled my batteries out for a charge the other day and first thought maybe some ejuice got on it but I don't believe that's the case now. Thoughts? Is this unsafe? Is it leaking or what's going on?

Reactions: Kprthevapr

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Not safe. When a battery starts bleeding thru the wrap like this, it's time to take to recycling. Like radio shack or vape store that does recycling.

Please don't contiue to use that battery!

What kind of battery is that and who is the maker? I don't see any markings.

This is why it is always best to buy the very best batteries you can afford......you are charging them a lot and they are working hard in your mod alll day long.

Even if it is just eliquid leaking onto your battery, once it bleeds thru like that the battery will be affected.

correct any problems in the mod that may be causing leakage.....is it just this battery or do your other ones do this too?

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
View attachment 499715 So I pulled my batteries out for a charge the other day and first thought maybe some ejuice got on it but I don't believe that's the case now. Thoughts? Is this unsafe? Is it leaking or what's going on?

There are two things going on with that battery. The mild darkening that goes around the battery and the spot that's darker.

Here is a thread about the mild darkening. There are a bunch of pics from different people who experienced the same thing. I retired a couple of batteries that had that happen to them and posted pics with the wrapper removed from one. There was nothing wrong with it, it's perfectly safe.

I have seen the dark spots a couple of times before too and saw one pic with the wrapper removed. It was also not a problem. Wish I had bookmarked that but I didn't. This is more of a worry for me than the mild darkening because I've only seen it a couple of times so I'm not as familiar with it. I also have not had it happen to me so I don't have personal experience with it.

I wouldn't worry about it, but if it bothers you it's pretty easy to take the wrapper off, inspect the casing and then re-wrap it if you're happy with it. Here's a tutorial on how to do that.

Hope that helps :)

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
when the plastic is fitted over the battery during the "sleeving" process, a bit of lubricant is applied to assist in the ease of assembly. Eventually some of the excess lubricant will "pool" into a small spot and show up as a spot that causes concern...
I had a VTC4 do this and I removed the wrapper only to find a "oily" film on the wrapper and battery... no holes no broken seams no damaged battery... and was left with a naked battery that now needed new clothes....

no need to toss it....

jacobmelton127

Sep 27, 2015
Thanks everyone for your input. The reason they look shiney is because the flash on the camera but yes they are Sony vtc4. I am going to go ahead and get new batteries but I'm only tossing the one. The other I will use in a tube mod. i feel that it's not an issue though.. They charge the same, discharge the same, and they don't get hot. But I suppose I'll be on the safe side. I need to load up on some batteries anyways. These were so nice though. From a full charge they lasted me 2 full days vaping at 55-75 watts

Reactions: Ryedan

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Buy some battery shrink wrap (Lots of sites carry it, and it's pretty cheap to have around), remove the wrapper, and inspect the spot.

If it's just leftover gunk from the manufacturing process, clean it off, re-wrap it, and go on with your day.

If it's a spot of corrosion, recycle it. Even if it appears to be surface oxidation, you don't want to keep using it. Just a tiny, microscopic hole can leak electrolyte, reducing battery performance, capacity, and safety. It's not worth the risk for a $11 battery.

LewisW295

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2015
South Glamorgan, Wales
There are two things going on with that battery. The mild darkening that goes around the battery and the spot that's darker.

Here is a thread about the mild darkening. There are a bunch of pics from different people who experienced the same thing. I retired a couple of batteries that had that happen to them and posted pics with the wrapper removed from one. There was nothing wrong with it, it's perfectly safe.

I have seen the dark spots a couple of times before too and saw one pic with the wrapper removed. It was also not a problem. Wish I had bookmarked that but I didn't. This is more of a worry for me than the mild darkening because I've only seen it a couple of times so I'm not as familiar with it. I also have not had it happen to me so I don't have personal experience with it.

I wouldn't worry about it, but if it bothers you it's pretty easy to take the wrapper off, inspect the casing and then re-wrap it if you're happy with it. Here's a tutorial on how to do that.

Hope that helps :)
Guru or not, that's probably the stupidest post I've seen on here. Any kind of damage to a battery or its packaging can relay damage that is invisible to the naked eye (My father works with batteries a fair bit) and continued use of a battery can lead to it combusting or leaking corrosives everywhere.

O.P: If you ever doubt a battery then it's time to replace it. No matter whether it's your mod or your mobile phone. Any kind of suspicious markings, get rid of it.

Reactions: Scottitude

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
It's very rare for a Lithium battery to be "leaking" anything, in any capacity. Unlike your standard Alkaline (ie: AAA) batteries, these don't have an electrolyte solution coating the exterior metal wrapping. It's much more likely that this is a buildup of the glue that is used to keep the wrapper on.

Do you have a multi-meter? Can you check the battery's voltage fresh off the charger? Is your charger "intelligent"? Is it reading anything in particular for the battery?

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
"I wouldn't worry about it"???? Really?

Toss those batteries. That is NOT suppose to happen IMHO.

Guru or not, that's probably the stupidest post I've seen on here. Any kind of damage to a battery or its packaging can relay damage that is invisible to the naked eye (My father works with batteries a fair bit) and continued use of a battery can lead to it combusting or leaking corrosives everywhere.

I'm all about battery safety and I think anyone who has seen my posts the last few years knows that. I doubt you read the thread I linked to in my first post. Quite a few people found the same darkening on their Sony batts. Some reported the same with Panasonic and AW. When I checked mine I found both my Sonys were the same as well as my two MNKE, I just had not noticed it utill I looked for it. If you read the thread you'll see my reaction was concern about what was going on at first.

Then I did some research and combined with the number of people who were reporting the same thing with their batteries decided mine were safe and continued to use them. I then took the wrapper off my MNKE and found nothing wrong underneath it.

These discolorations happen and people occasionally notice it, become concerned and post about it. I've seen it often enough I bookmarked that original thread. I suspect most batteries that have translucent wrappers will exhibit this effect to some degree eventually, but my sample size is small so I don't claim that is a fact.

It is simply wrong to say with certainty that any damage to a battery is cause to toss it. I've replaced a few damaged wrappers over the years and will be doing all five of my Sonys in the next week because the wrappers are in bad shape. It's easy to do and quite safe as long as you don't use any metal around the positive end as the tutorial I linked to points out.

It's very easy to say recycle a battery that has any damage to it and if that's how you want to deal with yours you will not get any discouragement from me (though I might suggest you mail them to me and I'll take care of the recycling for you ;)). I post what I've actually learned in an attempt to get that information out there. I do my best to be clear about what I know for sure and what I suspect but am not sure about, as I did in my first post. People can do what they will with that and that's fine with me.

LewisW295

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2015
South Glamorgan, Wales
I'm all about battery safety and I think anyone who has seen my posts the last few years knows that. I doubt you read the thread I linked to in my first post. Quite a few people found the same darkening on their Sony batts. Some reported the same with Panasonic and AW. When I checked mine I found both my Sonys were the same as well as my two MNKE, I just had not noticed it utill I looked for it. If you read the thread you'll see my reaction was concern about what was going on at first.

Then I did some research and combined with the number of people who were reporting the same thing with their batteries decided mine were safe and continued to use them. I then took the wrapper off my MNKE and found nothing wrong underneath it.

These discolorations happen and people occasionally notice it, become concerned and post about it. I've seen it often enough I bookmarked that original thread. I suspect most batteries that have translucent wrappers will exhibit this effect to some degree eventually, but my sample size is small so I don't claim that is a fact.

It is simply wrong to say with certainty that any damage to a battery is cause to toss it. I've replaced a few damaged wrappers over the years and will be doing all five of my Sonys in the next week because the wrappers are in bad shape. It's easy to do and quite safe as long as you don't use any metal around the positive end as the tutorial I linked to points out.

It's very easy to say recycle a battery that has any damage to it and if that's how you want to deal with yours you will not get any discouragement from me (though I might suggest you mail them to me and I'll take care of the recycling for you ;)). I post what I've actually learned in an attempt to get that information out there. I do my best to be clear about what I know for sure and what I suspect but am not sure about, as I did in my first post. People can do what they will with that and that's fine with me.

That's fair enough but unless someone van 100 percent guarantee that it is just pooling of glue on their battery then surely they should not be risking their fingers using the battery?

To your experienced eye, yes you may be satisfied with its quality but I am just expressing that I think it is incredibly silly to continue use of a suspicious cell.

From a similar experience, I had batteries in a lime green coat in an old model airplane. Over time they naturally had pooling. My dad said to bin them but I didn't and a few months later, they leaked over the aforementioned plane.

And I would send you them if I used a mod that took extrenal batteries.:)

Tl; Dr: unless your sure the damage is just glue then bin it.

Reactions: Ryedan

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
That's fair enough but unless someone van 100 percent guarantee that it is just pooling of glue on their battery then surely they should not be risking their fingers using the battery?

To your experienced eye, yes you may be satisfied with its quality but I am just expressing that I think it is incredibly silly to continue use of a suspicious cell.

From a similar experience, I had batteries in a lime green coat in an old model airplane. Over time they naturally had pooling. My dad said to bin them but I didn't and a few months later, they leaked over the aforementioned plane.

It's not glue.

There is a metal casing under the wrap.

When metal is exposed to oxygen, it oxidizes.

That's all it is.

It's very very common with Sony VTCs.
It's not a problem.

Experienced vapers who regularly use Sony VTC battery's are very familiar with this.

Reactions: ImThatGuy

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md

Well, I have 2 that, literally Brand New, picked up the same look within 3-4 cycles. It is a visible process from a Thin Skin Wrap that has Nothing do do with DEFECT.

Likely Most batteries from Sony have this going on, but only the Thinly Covered VTC series show it.:facepalm:

* I do NOT abuse or overheat my batteries. They run in regulated Mods and shut down well before reaching low levels. *

Reactions: LewisW295
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread