Legislation is blowing smoke...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitewriter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Hendersonville Tennessee
I am loving how the truth seems to be finally coming out about this bill. More and more reporters and journalists are giving accurate accounts of what's going on behind the scenes. This is another one as reported by the Bangor Daily News.

Legislation is blowing smoke - Bangor Daily News

The bill in question was crafted, in part, by the nation’s leading cigarette company, Philip Morris, as part of a deal worked out between the tobacco giant and an antismoking group — the Campaign for tobacco-Free Kids. The health groups supporting the legislation have been seduced by the few concessions that Philip Morris dangled before them and have lost sight of the long-term damage that this bill will do to the public’s health.

Perhaps most absurd is the bill’s treatment of new and potentially safer products, such as electronic cigarettes. The evidence is still out on whether electronic cigarettes, which deliver nicotine with water vapor rather than smoke, would actually help wean people from tobacco cigarettes. But why would Congress want to ban po-tentially safer products and continue to allow the deadliest nicotine product — conventional cigarettes — to remain on the market?

During the previous administration, the FDA was accused of making decisions based on politics, not health. If the Senate passes the FDA tobacco legislation, it will be institutionalizing, rather than ending, the triumph of politics over science in federal policymaking. This is not the way to restore science to its rightful place.

I bolded the biggest question I have on this whole issue? I also wonder if it's too late for articles like this to help us?

Thoughts?

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
I firmly believe that we will see several bills in Congress over the next few years that will modify or correct deficits in the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act. This was a 'headline bill' to ensure incumbents who voted yea could preserve or pick up additional votes in their districts from happy constituents. Politics really seems to be more about garnering votes, than always thinking problems out and doing the sensible thing.

nitewriter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Hendersonville Tennessee
I firmly believe that we will see several bills in Congress over the next few years that will modify or correct deficits in the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act. This was a 'headline bill' to ensure incumbents who voted yea could preserve or pick up additional votes in their districts from happy constituents. Politics really seems to be more about garnering votes, than always thinking problems out and doing the sensible thing.

I totally agree. I just wonder if positive publicity now will effect those future votes? ...Will it make a difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread