Not open for further replies.

BigJimW

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 17, 2009
Warwick, RI
www.moonport.org
Left my comment, pending moderation

This law is disgusting. Electronic cigarettes are SAVING MY LIFE, and you want to take them away. How can this be? I used to smoke 2 and a half packs a day and almost a YEAR ago, I put out my final cigarette and have been using these personal vaporizers ever since. They do work. Maybe too well for your liking.

The big problem here is the utter lack of knowledge, and the fear that the e-cig will cut into the tax revenues generated by selling cigarettes. It is no deep secret that New York state has one of the HIGHEST state taxes of cigarettes in the Nation. And this bill is ONLY going through not to protect public health (the FDA is doing a bang up job at creating a public health disaster by their recent misleading "tests"), but to protect the revenue of selling cigarettes.

Why don't you politicians tell the public, who voted you in, the TRUTH as to why you're passing this abomination of a bill.

You all have yet to site ONE instance of a minor buying an electronic cigarette kit, yet I can site thousands of cases per day of children buying cigarettes, protecting the future source of fresh taxes when older smokers (exactly 1205 each day to be exact) die from smoking related diseases. The "Lets save the children" angle is already getting quite long in the tooth. You're not "saving the children", you're "saving your income"

You all have yet to site ONE death relating to using electronic cigarettes in the 6 years they have been around. I can site over 1200 deaths (and 20 by the time I finish this feedback and post it) smoking real cigarettes, just *TODAY* alone!

Fess up to it. You KNOW this is the motive.

Please, for the love of God and all that is Holy and Just in the world, PLEASE reconsider. The recent FDA move to regulate cigarettes will instill a false sense of safety because people will think that they are "FDA Approved". It is a public health disaster in the making. I just hope you can live with yourselves knowing you voted for a bill that will only end up killing people in the end.

BigJimW

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 17, 2009
Warwick, RI
www.moonport.org
I can't wait to see the "FDA approved" stamp put on packs of cigarettes nationwide. Good comment, Jim.

Thanks. A little too late though. But at least I got in the final word. Even though it's not published (nor will it ever be), SOMEONE there has to read it. Hopefully someone will read it and will start having second thoughts. I know if I were a party to something that will only end up killing people in the end as a result, I don't think I could live with myself.

I'm just so sick of this uneducated bull**** these politicians are doing. :mad:

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
There was a link to leave feedback. I did so, complaining about the comments not appearing. After the message was sent, they displayed the name and email of the keeper of the comments. I sent him an email and he responded "I have elevated your concerns to the Senate communications team who receives and moderates the comments on bills. I will let you know what the outcome is as soon as I can."

I see the problem has been corrected. Squeaky wheel and all that.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
The good news is that the NY Senate Health Cmte won't be considering the legislation for at least two more weeks, and our criticism of the legislation is being noted by the top staffer of the Senate Cmte Chair.

The NY Assembly bill had 35 comments opposing the bill, and none supporting the bill, when the NY Assembly unanimously passed the bill last week.

As such, I don't think any legislators read the comments posted on the bill's webpages.

So comments posted on the Senate bill's website are unlikely to influence Senators.

BigJimW

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 17, 2009
Warwick, RI
www.moonport.org
"I have elevated your concerns to the Senate communications team who receives and moderates the comments on bills. I will let you know what the outcome is as soon as I can."

garbage-can-web.jpg

The more likely place your concerns were elevated to. 8-o

Last edited:

BigJimW

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 17, 2009
Warwick, RI
www.moonport.org
So comments posted on the Senate bill's website are unlikely to influence Senators.

So what is the point of these type of feedback sites? So the sheeple "feel good" that they tried to make a difference? If they already have their pre-conceived notions, what is the point of asking for our opinions?

Don't get the wrong impression Bill, I'm not angry at you or your post, just angry that these damned political bills supposedly give the people an area for feedback, only to find out later that the comments are about as useful as testicles on a pope and ends up being a total waste of time and bandwidth.

Little wonder why these tea party movements are springing up everywhere. People are tired of the status quo BS, and I believe we will be seeing change in the forseeable future.

JoeD4

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
New York Senate have an "Open Legislation" website where you can comment on Bills in progress.

The page for S7234 (the one that will result in a de facto ban in NY State) is here: S7234 - NY Senate Open Legislation - Prohibits the sale of electronic cigarettes to minors and items not defined as a tobacco product or approved by the FDA as a tobacco use cessation or harm reduction - New York State Senate

There's only 17 comments so far, so I strongly recommend everyone goes there and says their piece!

Just made my comment....I hope "they" listen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread