Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
For those using cotton. How often do you change it? Or maybe the question should be when do you know it needs changed? The way this KFL is working I'm thinking of retiring my rba and building my KFL with the nano kit for Sludge. Dang First one KFL now two and I'm thinking of getting number three. This forum is a bad influence.

I use cotton in my drippers and they dont last but a couple mls because in a dripper it gets low on juice and the cotton burns. In the KFL you ought to get a tank at least if you're vaping HHV. Some of these nasty NETs I like it wont last even a tank.

Iowa Gal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Central Iowa
For those using cotton. How often do you change it? Or maybe the question should be when do you know it needs changed? The way this KFL is working I'm thinking of retiring my RBA and building my KFL with the nano kit for Sludge. Dang First one KFL now two and I'm thinking of getting number three. This forum is a bad influence.

David I agree with Bridget and just change out every couple of tanks. Don't hang around me or you'll be buy all kinds of stuff:D

Pappy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2012
Dallas, Tx
For those using cotton. How often do you change it? Or maybe the question should be when do you know it needs changed? The way this KFL is working I'm thinking of retiring my RBA and building my KFL with the nano kit for Sludge. Dang First one KFL now two and I'm thinking of getting number three. This forum is a bad influence.

David, I get at least 2 tankfuls in my HCigar Kayfun 3.1's. And I've gone 4 or 5 tankfuls before with no real adverse effects. But 2 or 3 tankfuls is no problem at all. Just be careful not to burn the cotton wick.

Pappy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2012
Dallas, Tx
David when I vaped boba's I didn't make it through 2 tanks before the flavor and vapor got crappy. I guess that's 'how you know'. (and I still have 3/4 of that bottle..)

I don't doubt that at all. I like Boba's (although I vape it less and less all the time), but it's not a clean juice by any means. By contrast, I think I could vape Heavenly Tobacco forever without changing wicks.

Last edited:

DavidOH

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2013
Ohio
David I can get about 2 tanks through the KFL before I change wicks, but it really depends on how gunky the juice is.

I'll be getting another KFL soon too, and my nano kit is on the way..

This is the first time I've used cotton for any length of time so I guess I'll wing it. I have Legend in it and it's on tank four and still hitting and tasting good. I'm really liking this kanthal ribbon wire.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
This is the first time I've used cotton for any length of time so I guess I'll wing it. I have Legend in it and it's on tank four and still hitting and tasting good. I'm really liking this kanthal ribbon wire.

Yeah, if it is still hitting good then roll with it. A man has got to know his KFL limits. I tell yuh, we are spoiled with these HHV juices. They really do burn clean. Not many people have/are using ribbon so you may be charting new territory.

DavidOH

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2013
Ohio
I don't doubt that at all. I like Boba's (although I vape it less and less all the time), but it's not a clean juice by any means. By contrast, I think I could vape Heavenly Tobacco forever without changing wicks.

I haven't tried the 30mil of HT I got. It's only got 2 weeks on it but it does smell better. Think I'll leave it for another week before I give it a go.

DavidOH

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2013
Ohio
Yeah, if it is still hitting good then roll with it. A man has got to know his KFL limits. I tell yuh, we are spoiled with these HHV juices. They really do burn clean. Not many people have/are using ribbon so you may be charting new territory.

I think the vapor is denser or thicker if you will. I do want to get a couple washers to go on the block screws to see if I can lock down the ribbon better. Had to keep it flat because on edge it pushed into the holes and I was afraid it would mess up the threads.

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
I think the vapor is denser or thicker if you will. I do want to get a couple washers to go on the block screws to see if I can lock down the ribbon better. Had to keep it flat because on edge it pushed into the holes and I was afraid it would mess up the threads.

David I use these screws in combination with the hex nuts that match them on my 3.1's , these are the proper length and thread pitch and using the hex nuts as washers makes rebuilding much easier .

M31628 - M1.6X3 Slotted Cheese Head Machine Screw Stainless Steel A2 DIN84A

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
I just put a 5/64 dia. 0.5mm x 0.1mm ribbon coil with 4/5 wraps at 1.3ohm and cotton in the KFL. Didn't preheat the ribbon so the first quarter tank was just ok. Then It started hitting. I don't think Serendipity ever tasted this good. And it's what I had in it yesterday. I may have to play around with ribbon wire a little more.

That's interesting! I have a bunch of ribbon wire and always thought it'd be too wide to set up in a KFL. I'll have to experiment a bit with that next time I change a coil. :2cool:

David, how do you secure the coil legs of ribbon wire under those tiny screws? I found it tends to twist upright if you try to wrap it round the posts. I used it in my AGA-T2. (spelling? haven't used those attys in ages)

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
For those using a KFL that would like a glass tank check out Avid Vapors quartz kit...a friend brought me one to Vapebash and I love it so much ordered a second for my other KFL

Now those look sweet! Thanks IG, for bringing them to our attention. (still can't buy any new toys yet, though :()

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand

With some of the HHV juices, I can top off two or three times (sometimes 4) with cotton before the taste deteriorates. Other NETs I'm lucky to get through a single tank.

Last edited:

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand

Pappy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2012
Dallas, Tx
Haven't been on the hardware thread in a while, too much a temptation! What is this "nano kit" we're talking about? Link please.

Even though I'm on a strict "no gear, no juice" diet, doesn't mean I can't look at the menu... :D

It is replacement tank parts and chimney for the KFL to make it shorter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread