Provari or Vamo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azphat12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
Coolidge, Arizona, United States
Ok....first...this is not a bashing thread.
I need some advice on what to do...

I have a Vamo right now. it is working pretty well.
I have noticed that on genesis style devices...if I use the 28awg wire and get a low ohm rating. The Vamo really doesnt like it.
I have heard the Provari can go down to the .8, 1.0 realm....

Help! I have the money to pickup a Provari
or I can use that money to buy another Vamo (as backup) and alot of other stuff like vivi novas, more mesh, more more more, lol

Guys, what should I do? I do not regret getting a Vamo. It works just fine for the most part.
I know the build quality of the Provari is top notch. I prefer the finish on the Provari (not a fan of slippery fingerprint magnets, but I can refinish the Vamo if i wanted too)

Anyone give me some advice either way?
I do not really change to many devices....I either use my aga-t rba, or I use a 3.5ml Vivi Nova.

tc1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Ohio
Why not just build your coils with 32 gauge or wrap your 28 a few more times?

I don't even bother with coils under 1.5 ohms so the Vamo works well for me. Finish didn't really matter to me because I bought a skin wrap (matte finish).

Do you feel satisfied? Already have a backup pv? If the answer is yes then you might be better off spending the money on other vape gear. But at the end of the day ... its your money and your decision.

As much as I want an ihybrid I too have choosen to wait. Because frankly ... the vamo leaves me satisfied everytime. Just don't see the reason go out and grab one until I NEED a "change". And by then ... maybe ill want some other hybrid.

Jester4

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Brampton, Ont
I have a provari and like it. I use it all evening every day when I'm home and its always working. I have a vamo under the tree for me (I think/hope). I have every expectation it will work well, but somehow I feel that it may not stand the test of time. I don't have any evidence of its longevity, but just a wild unsubstantiated guess.

Azphat12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
Well, the Vamo does get the job done. As for quality.... new technology is coming out all the time.
That Provari might work 2 years....but what latest and greatest will be out by then. Thats the main reason I dont know about the cost...
I can get 3 or 4 Vamos for the price of 1 Provari. ugh....

Oh, I did try the 32awg and it works ok......but I am constantly messing with the coils to adjust.
The 28awg stays in place...no fiddling...but I cannot seem to get the ohms where I need them.
And when I got enough wraps.....it would take forever for the coils to light up.. (in comparison to the 32awg)
So long in fact...that I would have to almost let the Vamo self shut off twice in order for it to get a really good vape.
The top cap would get really really hot...

If I take some coils off....then it got red faster...but the ohms would be to low and here or there cause a LO on the Vamo.

Ive alotted about $200 for vape gear, so I have some options.

eHuman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
San Diego
The ZMax2 is an option whose price falls in between the two you mentioned. The lowest Ω coil I have used is a 1.25 so I can't intelligently comment on anything lower.
Madvapes has SS model for $99 and the chrome and gunmetal for $91, or you can opt for the acrylimax version in a wild assortment of colors for $80.

Just another option for a backup APV:
Variable Volt E-Cigs, Variable Volt Vaporizers | MadVapes

alekos557

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2011
dayton, nv
I have had a ProVari for quite a while now and love it.
It functions perfectly every time. I ordered a VAMO to use when out of the house.
The vendor completed my order in 28 minutes!!!
I recieved my VAMO today... read the directions furnished on the site...dud!
It does have some weight to it, but seems to rattle quite a bit.
Of course the unit not functioning does color my judgement somewhat.
I am hopeful the vendor will take care of me with a exchange.

Underwhelmed

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2012
Texas
The PV refuses to work with attys below 1.2. At least the one I had in my hand did. A great device though.
Why not buy a mecha mod for rebuildables?

kuldve patatalppal
Yes, the Vamo's low ohm cut off is 1.2 ohms.

I had my ProVari Mini throwing codes when I tried using my DID on it with 28 gauge Kanthal as well, so I switched to 32, but now I'm mostly using Kanger T3's because to me they are more consistant and taste better.

Different stokes....

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
i have both, and yea the vamo hate low resistance coils for sure. personally my vamo sits here and gets used for testing and setup. my provari goes everywhere and is used all the time.

I bought it for the build quality and the service availability, not becuase its supposed to be the be all end all or ohh the mighty provari.

when i set 4 v i get 4 volt until the battery is dead, if i drop it and it breaks i send it in for way less then a new APV (even a vamo) will cost, and when the time comes that some new feature comes out they deem important it's just a quick upgrade away.
i bought it to support an american company that tries to use american suppliers when they can, and so far, any question, no matter how trivial or stupid sounding i get an email by the next day.
that to me is worth the price.
i bet i could beat my vamo to scrap metal with my provari and still take a vape.

its all up to you, do you need it? probably not. so........ do you want it? only you know that answer.

Azphat12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
So with the Provari, if they say...come out with an upgrade to finally do variable wattage.
How much "typically" would it cost for that upgrade? Maybe $50....$100?

That is really the only thing stopping me.... I know how well they are built.
I dont mind the 1 button menu...its not that im in the menu all day.
Also, I do prefer to buy from American vendors. Not saying that anyone else is bad...
Its more that if anything goes wrong....its easier to work with a closer vendor. from past experience...
phone calls are cheaper :) and turn around if I need to send it back is generally easier with state side vendors.
That is why I paid $60 for the Vamo, instead of jumping on the $30 specials overseas.

Im either going to get a Provari and have the vamo as a backup. Or get another vamo. I really like the ohm checker, and battery voltage check on these digital devices. Not saying a mechanical mod is bad....but I prefer these digital display types.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
So with the Provari, if they say...come out with an upgrade to finally do variable wattage.
How much "typically" would it cost for that upgrade? Maybe $50....$100?

That is really the only thing stopping me.
Depends upon how long you are willing to wait on the next offering from Provape. A customer service employee from Provape recently told a customer that the company is working on something for spring or summer release, but she wasn't specific on what it would be.

When Provape upgraded the Provari v1 with the v2 upgrade, it was only like $20-25. But that was a relatively simple upgrade, not sure how much a variable wattage upgrade might cost or involve, or even if that will be an upgradable option at all for the Provari. They just might come out with an entirely new device.

POSEIDON

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2012
Memphis
Worse case scenerio, you hate the provari and you sell it and get almost what you paid for it back. All in all the provari(since you are asking about it) is a solid APV. Are there APV's that will give you more features? Yes. Are there APV's that preform as well? Yes. Are there APV's that are as well built for cheaper? Maybe. Are there APV's that are as reputable with thier customer service, warranty, ability to be upgraded by the factory? No none even approach that level of the provari. To me(at least) The reasons to buy and own a provari are the last 2, build quality and thier service/warranty/upgrades.

Azphat12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
Keep your unit and use 32awg it's what I use on my DID with SS mesh wick. 5 wraps and perfect 2.5 ohm coils every time 3.9 volts and 6 watts clouds of vapor galore! Any awg below 30 is too thick for a PV IMHO.

I do have 32awg and it does work good. I normally get my coils in the 2 to 2.5 range and its fine.
The only drawback I have with 32awg is it seems I always have to adjust the coils.
Anywhere between an hour....to a day...I am adjusting.
The 28awg.... I didnt have to move it once....but the ohms became the issue.

Worse case scenerio, you hate the provari and you sell it and get almost what you paid for it back.

I totally forgot about this....heck...I could probably make a profit, lol. Yea, this sold me.

Now its a matter or getting the normal size or the mini.

inanitydefined

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
On a rock floating through space
a provar will not fuction at low ohms any better than a vamo. both have a low resistance cutout around 1.2. Your solution is more wraps or thinner wire.
btw i recently traded my provari on a stainless zmax r2 and i am very happy with the trade. VW is much better, battery life is nearly twice as good, build quality is not so overkill as the provari but still solid feeling. i took 50¢ worth of heat shrink tubing and put it around my zmax and its now shock protected and more grippy. if your happy with your vamo in every other way its not worth spendding the money on a provari just to have the same problem

samwest

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2011
Gainesville Texas
I think we need a thread with classic quotes from members like; "i bet i could beat my vamo to scrap metal with my provari and still take a vape." I just pulled the trigger on my 2nd Provari; a black min w/ green LED (ooh Pretty). My other is a chrome V1 that I am afraid to send in for an upgrade as they are no longer made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread