The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Liquor Flavors?

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by FranC, May 7, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. FranC

FranC TWR Co-Moderator Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    has anyone ordered from FlavorMonks? The prices look very scary to me. The shipping also.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. PJReid

PJReid Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    I have pondered it but the gin flavor experts say that VTA Botanical Gin gives you all you need. They do have some intriguing flavors at FlavorMonks.

• Like Like x 3
  3. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    They do but the prices are way over my head.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. PJReid

Supporting member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    The Hadaly came today. It is washed, dried, coiled, and wicked. Just waiting for a little free time. LOL LOL LOL

• Like Like x 3
  5. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Hoping you get some.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. PJReid

Supporting member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    I finally got around to testing my liquor flavors. There is nothing earth-shattering in my notes and you can probably find as much about the flavors on the Noted episodes I linked many pages back. So, FWIW................

LIQUORS

FLAVOUR ART

• Brandy

I tested this at 2.5%. It has been steeping for 6 weeks or so. I don't know how to describe it. Before the steep, it was boozy but that is gone now. It is dense and creamy, so gives mouth feel. This doesn't taste like brandy at all. It is sweet and has an undefinable fruit flavor – maybe a light grape flavor. I would say this is more of a sweet white wine than a brandy. A little odd for me. I can see how it might add to some bakery mixes.
    • Gin

Tested at 5%. Very dry and just the juniper berry flavor. The juniper berry flavor is overpowering. This doesn't work well with delicate flavors. Use it at 1.5 to 2% in strongly flavored mixes like cranberry, pomegranate, or if you want a strong juniper flavor. The juniper calms down after a long steep and more sweetness emerges.
    • Jamaican Special (Jamaican Rum)

Tested at 4%. After a 6 week steep, it is mildly boozy (very mild,) sweet, and a little spicy There is a hint of butter there – butter rum maybe. It tastes of brown sugar, mild spices (after a steep), and dark rum. It is very good in a cocktail mix at 1 to 2%. It is difficult to get much boozy flavor in a mix with this because of the heavy brown sugariness. The brown sugar and mild spiciness work well with pineapple.
    VAPE TRAIN
    • Botanical Gin

I have this coming so we shall see.
    • Golden Rum

Tested at 4%. Even after 6 weeks, the watery barbecue sauce flavor is still there. It is sweet and slightly spicy and not really boozy. This is the flavor if you want to add barbecue to your e-liquid. I have no suggestions for the use of VTA's Golden Rum.
    • Light Rum

Tested at 4%. After a 6 week steep, this rum tastes boozier than FA's Jamaican. It is mildly sweet with no spice or brown sugar notes. It has some light fruitiness to it. There is not a lot of body so I would call it thin. Used with FA's Jamaican, you will get the booziness and the rum flavor. Mixed together, the booziness of VTA Light Rum sits on top of FA Jamaican's sweet spice. If adding rum to a bakery juice, FA is a better option. Use the VTA Light Rum in a cocktail. Mix it at 2 to 4%, 4% with FA Jamaican if you are looking for a boozy flavor.
    • Russian Vodka

Tested at 4%. Mild kick with a sweet, citrus note. After 6 weeks, it does get boozier. I think if you want a boozy kick with this, it will require a steep. At 2%, it can help bring a vodka vibe to a cocktail mix.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Always nice to have more reviews:)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. PJReid

Supporting member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    The VTA Botanical Gin came today so I will make a test of that one right away!

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Oh good. Curious on that one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. PJReid

Supporting member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    I ordered VTA Botanical Gin and their Tonic from Chefs Flavours and am SO glad I did. I contacted Bull City Flavors to ask if they might start carrying these flavors as they are excellent. The reply was that they are trying to get the ENTIRE VTA line!!! *fingers crossed*

My flavor notes:

• Botanical Gin

Tested at 4%. This is a very good with a hint of sweetness that manages to be moderately boozy. Well-rounded like a high-end gin, with a citrus note and a pleasant juniper note paired with some clean green leafy notes in the back end. Just as good as the more expensive Flavor Monks gins (according to the Noted testers). Better than FA with less juniper. Use this at 2 to 4% depending on how much gin flavor you want in the mix. (some mixers use it at 7%) 4% gives me the flavor of a good gin. Excellent!
    • Tonic Water

Tested at 3%. This actually tastes like tonic water though the flavor is light. There is definitely a quinine bitter note that becomes more prominent with a steep. That bitterness lingers after the exhale. For the most authentic tonic water flavor, steep for 7 days. The only complaint I have with this flavor is that there no effervescence. Tonic is supposed to be effervescent so that is disappointing. Still, if you want a Gin & Tonic, this will do the trick. .5% VTA Fizzy Sherbet will help with the effervescence. I would say 3 to 4% depending on how much tonic you want to taste.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    How much sweetness does that Fizzy Sherbet add?

• Like Like x 2
  12. PJReid

Supporting member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    At .5%, very little. I mixed a batch with 2% RF Soda Base, a flavor I find quite sweet, and the resulting Gin & Tonic isn't sweet to me. Of course, what isn't sweet to me might be like licking a sugar bowl to you. :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I'm sure:lol:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    However I will add it to my wishlist.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  15. IDJoel

IDJoel Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    Thank you, PJ; another great write-up!:thumbs:

You should know, that your Flavor Notes have their very own folder, in my Bookmarks table. You always seem to be careful to include taste/perception, positive and negative possibilities, potential strengths and aging requirements. You manage to be thorough; while remaining concise. I appreciate all your hard work, and willingness to share the results. Thank you!:wub:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  16. PJReid

Supporting member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    @IDJoel - I am blushing. Thank you!

• Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. PJReid

Supporting member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    I have been experimenting over the past two weeks with the VTA Botanical Gin and the VTA Tonic Water. Below are the recipes I am most satisfied with.

Gin & Tonic V1
    Aurora (FA) .5%
    Botanical Gin (VTA) 4%
    Lime Tahity (Cold Pressed) (FA) .5%
    Soda Base (SC) (Real Flavors) 2%
    Tonic Water (VTA) 3%
    WS-23 30% .75% (lower or higher, depending on how much ice you like)
    This is good as a S&V, but better with a 7 day steep.

Aurora also brings fizz and pure lime zest. It is not like any other lime out there. It is pure magic in a cocktail vape.

Lime Tahity is here for the refreshing, tart, and realistic lime juice.

VTA Botanical Gin tastes like a well balanced, high-end gin with some citrus and just enough juniper to not be overpowering. The botanicals come through with a 7 day steep.

Soda Base brings the fizz and also some mouthfeel and texture and wetness that stands up to the drier flavors of Aurora and Tonic Water. The fizz holds up in a steep. Soda Base is sweet but doesn’t impart much sweetness to this mix for my tastes.

VTA Tonic Water has a light quinine bitterness that peaks at the end of the vape. It starts off wet but becomes dry at the end of the vape due to the bitterness. The missing component in the Tonic Water is fizz. The quinine flavor develops at day 7.

WS-23 is there for the ice since a Gin & Tonic is On The Rocks! Use the amount that gives you the right amount of ice. If you fill your glass with ice, use more. If you drop in one ice cube, use less.

Gin & Tonic V2
    Aurora (FA) 1%
    Botanical Gin (VTA) 4%
    Cucumber (CAP) .25%
    Tonic Water (VTA) 3%
    WS-23 30% .5 to .75%
    Good as a S&V. Better with a 7 day steep.

I made this version to try and create a Gin & Tonic without the sweetness of the Soda Base (which isn’t very sweet at all in the mix.) Aurora at 1% is still magical but gets dry. .25% cucumber added to bring some juiciness. The notes above apply to this mix.

Cranberry Gin On The Rocks
    Aurora (FA) 1%
    Botanical Gin (VTA) 4%
    Cranberry (TFA) 5.5%
    WS-23 30% Solution .5 to .75%
    Good as a S&V. Better with a 7 day steep.

Aurora is the magic once again. At 1%, it brings a lot of fizz but also some dryness. TFA Cranberry is also rather dry. This mix isn’t dry to my taste, so maybe the botanicals in the gin bring some moisture. If you find it dry, add a tiny bit of cactus, cucumber, or pear. My pick would be Molin Berry Shape Up Pear.

I mixed at least 8 different version of Cranberry and Gin. It was hard to get a balance where the gin didn’t overpower the cranberry flavor and vice versa. This one is perfect for me.

Cranberry Gin Fizz
    Botanical Gin (VTA) 4%
    Cranberry (TFA) 4%
    Lime Tahity (Cold Pressed)(FA) .5%
    Lime Tahity (Distilled) (FA) .25%
    Pink Champagne (FW) 2%
    WS-23 30% .5 to .75%
    Good as a S&V but the botanicals in the gin come through with a 7 day steep.

VTA’s Botanical Gin is the perfect gin for standing up to strong flavors. Not too much juniper, nice citrus undertones, all around great.

TFA Cranberry is tart and sweet with a moderate mouthfeel. I like the way it tastes so I use it here.

Lime Tahity (Cold Pressed) is used for the fresh, tart, realistic lime juice.

Lime Tahity (Distilled) completes the lime flavor by adding in the zest. (FA’s Aurora might be a better option here but I haven’t mixed this recipe that way yet.

Pink Champagne brings fizz, mouthfeel, and some sweetness.

WS-23 30% for the ice cubes.

Basil Gimlet V2
    Aurora (FA) .5%
    Basil (FLV) .15%
    Botanical Gin (VTA) 4%
    Lemon Lime (CAP) 4%
    WS-23 30% .5 to 75%
    Give this 9 days for the basil to meld.

This is refreshing and lovely. I tasted the basil on the exhale and lime and gin on the inhale.

Aurora is the magic ingredient in gin cocktails. Lovely fizzy lime flavor.

Basil adds a refreshing and interesting touch to the gimlet. Think Mojito with gin instead of rum and basil instead of mint.

CAP Lemon Lime is the base flavor here. The citrus is not strong but if brings lime, zest, and a nice, thick mouthfeel.

WS-23 30% for your ice cubes. You know what to do.

• Love Love x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Looks good. Thank you,Pam:)

• Like Like x 3
  19. IDJoel

IDJoel Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    Thanks for sharing your hard work, Pam. Those look awesome!!!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. PJReid

Supporting member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    I don't vape cheesecakes, ice cream, tarts, milkshakes, donuts, etc. so I have to try and make something tasty with the leftovers. :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.